All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

When SUN stops shining...

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:46 am

... Elvis at Sun has always been a great topic of discussion among

the fans, ever since the late 60s. As much as I look forward to

Ernst's definitive work, it forever will end many dreams of ever

hearing certain tracks - that probably dont even excist - such as

Uncle Pen ( one N at the end, not 2) or Tennessee Saturday Night?

Certain aspects of the Sun era forever should be clouded in

mystery... Knowing blondie's in-depth research skills, little will

be left to our imagination, when the book and cds see their release.

... So, Ernst, take your time... I can wait another so many years,

before its all there in print.

God forbid, if this mb will be filled with even more brainles topics,

than we already have from young guys gettin' a hard on cooking

up set lists of songs he should have performed... but didnt.

Or more "whats your favourite tv Live performance?"- and leaving

out all 50s performances on a list to choose from...

... Two years ago, when I first came to this site, a lot was going

on... these days its going downhill fast. Kindergarten have taken

over. Many contributers have left, or were kicked off.

... Are we all running out of fuel lately... I am.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:55 am

Interesting post Ger.

I think its sometimes hard to come up with good topics to discuss because it all has been discussed before...so hopefully Ernest and the boy's will stay strong for years to come and give us something meaningful to discuss.

8)

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:07 am

Yes both interesting and VERY valid post Ger. :roll:

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:28 am

This messageboard is hardly running out of fuel, Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff :roll:! We all have different personalities with different tastes, for example, I love candids, where someone else might like certain 'takes' on songs. You should be thankful we have young guys/ gals on here, because that my friend is what keeps the memory alive. You can't always be p!ssed off and bitter because these young guys don't have hard ons over you and your taste's! So, just relax and enjoy your time on here, and if you want to go (not that I want you too) then so be it! Cheers and keep smiling!

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:31 am

If historians can dig up new stuff on people like Lincoln, I think people will find new stuff about Elvis. Who'd have thought that we'd ever hear something like "Fool, Fool, Fool" or terrible as the sound is "Hearts of Stone"? I was flabbergasted by the quality of the Little Rock recording even though it had been bootlegged for many years.

I agree about there being something good about mystery and some of these old recordings and they are a Holy Grail to inspire continuous, if not realistic hope.

It's kind of cool to think how Elvis sounded singing something like "Only You" or "Rock Around the Clock".

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:52 am

I think there will always be a mystery regarding Elvis' SUN sessions, even after Ernst has delivered his Definitve SUN. I have been waiting for things to show up after Sam Philips died due to the fact that he may still have had some of the SUN tapes in his possession. There maybe acetates held by others, who knows... There will always be an option for something more. We know that there are unreleased live songs, but they will most likely be included on Ernst SUN project.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:02 pm

Elvis at Sun are for me today the most boring period in Elvis career. When I was 12 years I loved these songs, but then I only liked Rock'n Roll and hated ballads. At the age of soon 40 I like the mature Elvis. Seems like I grow with Elvis own taste of music when he was alive. I never listen to these Sun-versions of songs and Elvis in later years give me much more too. The only Sun-song I like are My Baby's Gone which are still great, but the others gives me nothing. I prefer many of the moviesongs over :wink: Uncle Pen and other so called unreleased stuff gives me nothing and if collectors have them in private... well, keep it by yourself.

I think of what Elvis says at the Houston 70 pressconf about the sun recordings: "They sound funny, boy" and then he laught. I feel the same...

Kenneth

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:02 pm

samses wrote:I think there will always be a mystery regarding Elvis' SUN sessions, even after Ernst has delivered his Definitve SUN. I have been waiting for things to show up after Sam Philips died due to the fact that he may still have had some of the SUN tapes in his possession. There maybe acetates held by others, who knows... There will always be an option for something more. We know that there are unreleased live songs, but they will most likely be included on Ernst SUN project.

According to the interview with Ernst on EIN, there won't be any major previously unreleased gems (such as rumoured live recordings) on the upcoming FTD SUN Box Set.

This don't mean that such material (if it exist!) will never show up!

There will always be the possibility that something will show up in the future.

Let's say that there are collector's out there - who at present moment are not willing to sell or lend any treasure(s) they might hold on to.

This material will inevitably show up soon or a later.

Br
Kristian

Re: When SUN stops shining...

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:09 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... God forbid, if this mb will be filled with even more brainles topics,

First of all, i don't get a friggin hard doing these dream setlists

Second, it is young guys and girls you call 'kindergarten' people that will carry on this incredible legacy long after the original fans are gone. You think of that one Ger?

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:31 pm

Carolyn,
Yes, I'am aware of that :) I listen to some of the 56-58 recordings, but not the Sun. The sound, the music and Elvis seems childish for me.
My favorite 56 recordings are ex I'am Counting On You and One Sided Love Affair and the more hidden recordings. I don't like all the studioworks which gives us the nr 1 hits and Golden Records from the 50's at all. I prefer the live-versions many years later..

Have a nice day.

Kenneth

Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:37 pm

shanebrown wrote:WHY did he allow himself to sing the same set lists over and over when other stars of his calibre had a new set list for virtually every season. And so on. These are valid questions and, if ever we get an answer, we might just be able to understand Mr Presley much more than we do already.

Sheer laziness springs to mind :!:

Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:57 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:
shanebrown wrote:WHY did he allow himself to sing the same set lists over and over when other stars of his calibre had a new set list for virtually every season. And so on. These are valid questions and, if ever we get an answer, we might just be able to understand Mr Presley much more than we do already.

Not necessarily laziness!

Rather a combination of unfortunate circumstances, I would say...

In my opionin, Elvis never got over the poor reaction he got from the crowd, when dramatically changing the set list for Opening Night August 19, 1974 in Vegas.

After this, it was back to the same old songs - sticking to the safe material.

A few songs were added now and then during the last couple of years, but when Elvis stopped rehearsing before new engagements/ tours - they simply had no choice but to stick to well known material.

Br
Kristian

sun

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:11 pm

Hi Ger, im also looking forward to the sun project and cant wait to get it once completed.
The elvis world IMO is getting worse by the day, I have noticed big changes over the past few years and its getting a real pain in the ass with lots of dubious posters by some dubious users, Imo its the new age of pc using that has changed the mass with the new technology, the good old days where we had respect for each other, now its log on get ripped off and see where we can make the bucks off the back of our passion,
next there will be a thread about his under pants oucchhh!

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:20 pm

People (like yourself) are always crying in their beers :roll:! Screw you brother or sister, we have never had it better, so instead of jumping on Ger' bandwagon, I suggest you contribute something interesting or constructive!
The new age of pc is a god send, so don't fight it, enjoy it . . shezzz some mothers do have them :roll:!

Re: sun

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:23 pm

(I deleted this post. It was too boring!)

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:38 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:

Not necessarily laziness!

Rather a combination of unfortunate circumstances, I would say...

In my opionin, Elvis never got over the poor reaction he got from the crowd, when dramatically changing the set list for Opening Night August 19, 1974 in Vegas.

After this, it was back to the same old songs - sticking to the safe material.

Br
Kristian

Alot of the new songs Elvis added to the setlist on 08/19 '74 were performed throughout the rest of the enagement. Mainly the thing that went back to the way it was before, was the 2001 intro, cc rider, i got a women/amen...but still, he should've have kept that new setlist and tried it a few more times. Instead of throwing in the towel after one night.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:42 pm

That's the answer, we should alienate out newer, younger members, that way this forum keeps shrinking and shrinking and we keep tossing around the same threads. Scott, Shane, Cryogenic amongst many others, have a lot to offer, if we lose these younger fans, there's no chance for growth, there's no chance for ideas from a newer generation of EP fans, and nobody to pass the baton to.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:44 pm

jumping on gers band wagon i dont think so!! its a post where everyone can comment!
the age of the pc has also created money hungry, photo grabbers, copyright infringers ta boot :roll:

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:45 pm

i love the sun recordings cant wait for the ftd hopefully their will be a few gems on it. hopefully their will be more young fans coming to the mb or the mb will have no future. Scott Haigh i think you put on some great posts keep it up buddy. i dont post that often i am more of a reader but if i like a post i will add to it but lots of times i will just read them but i do enjoy the mb even if the old uns are spitting the dummies out.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:07 pm

There is no need of making fun of the youngsters here. We have all been a young Sun-lover and we all have our favorite area of Elvis. Lets respect that whether we are young or old. It is a room for everybody including the younger. I have started out as a Sun-lover at 12 years old and now I'am a jumpsuit-lover at 40 :lol: When I'am 60 I probably don't care much of Elvis at all and prefering listening to Mozart, Beethoven, Grieg and Vivaldi. I do that already more and more..... :lol:

Kenneth

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:39 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Elvis at Sun has always been a great topic of discussion among

the fans, ever since the late 60s. As much as I look forward to

Ernst's definitive work, it forever will end many dreams of ever

hearing certain tracks - that probably dont even excist - such as

Uncle Pen ( one N at the end, not 2) or Tennessee Saturday Night?

Certain aspects of the Sun era forever should be clouded in

mystery... Knowing blondie's in-depth research skills, little will

be left to our imagination, when the book and cds see their release.

... So, Ernst, take your time... I can wait another so many years,

before its all there in print.

God forbid, if this mb will be filled with even more brainles topics,

I hope you do not regard me in THAT basket KIDDO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:43 pm

Well I consider myself one of the younger members (if 16 counts as young :lol: ), but its good that we have many of us youngsters like you all have stated so the legacy of Elvis will continue to grow and influence younger generations of fans!! Keeps this MB and others going, with many different interesting threads...(Like Scotts for example)...nothing wrong with being creative with things like that and too wonder what if.

when sun

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:56 pm

... kenneth, please hurry turning 60, and join up with the site of

Vivaldi Ravers. I wont miss you. And Hoppy, if you and your puberty

friends are the future of Elvis fandom, I sure hope my pc will unplug

itself for good in the not too fare away future.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:58 pm

Ger wrote the above. A 'so called' prominent person in the Elvis world!

What a crude, selfish and arrogant thing to say Mr. Ger! 'Kindergarten'??? You are meaning the 'newer' Elvis fans that come on this MB aren't you? Well, why don't you come out and say this directly. You may have been a Elvis fan for a long time and your knowledge is much greater than some of the 'new' ones on this board but does it give you the right to label us as 'kids' in Kinder! What, so you're against new music fans who are just discovering Elvis - his music, movies, clothes he wore etc... Are us 'new' fans spoiling your fun on this board just because some things get repeated? Well, you've probably heard these points before but some haven't!

What a rotten and pathetic comment!

"Are they comin' to get me" - Houston 1970.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.

when sun

Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:09 pm

... yes Rob V, Im a crude selfish arrogant mother. But at least I know

what Im talking about. The same cant be said of Hoppy and some

of his offsprings, here on the mb. Youre his cousin?