All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:09 am

midnightx wrote:The comparison does not quite work. Elvis Presley was one of the world's biggest superstars. The Morrison legend grew to massive heights after his death, much more so than when he was alive. Morrison was a talented writer and performer and The Doors were a popular band, but seeing him in full beard on PBS (which by the way is a fantastic Doors set) was not the same as millions tuning in to watch the CBS Special shortly after Elvis' death.

Actually I wasn't comparing. The Doors tv-show obviously didn't have the same impact as EIC because Jim was alive when it aired and Doors' actual performance was solid. I was just pointing out that Jim was seen by the public in that condition. He was no longer the lean Lizard King that he used to be.

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:14 pm

I think one of the biggest plagues that causes Elvis to be riddiculed is the overweight, over 40 Tribute Artist. It seems to me they have done more to damage Elvis' Image than Elvis himself dispite the drugs. Why is that some ars*hole who can't sing suddenly thinks they should wear a Jumpsuit? Bad Tribute Artists are a constant reminder of the negative side of Elvis.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:55 pm

well, there was a time where i felt the need to explain what happened and why, you know, prescriped drugs and such.

but i don't want or need to defend him anymore. and not because of me, but because of Elvis: he does not need it anymore i think. He has endured lots of sh*t before and after death, but he is STILL standing! he can take care of himself and does a great job! you know, one of the things i like about youtube is the comments section... there is a whole new generation of fans out there who take the drugs thing into the equasion and are able to see through that. mostly there is a lof of respect for the man, nof for just his music but also for what he had to endure and how he endured it. that is an adult way of looking at it. i guess sometimes we underestimate the 'general' public.

heres a link about elvis + drugs

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:45 pm

heres a link about elvis and drugs...

http://oldies.about.com/od/elvisdeathfaq/f/elvisdrugs.htm

8) :wink: :roll: maybe this is why elvis aron presley died!!!???

Would he be alive had Elvis Presley Diet & Drug Addiction improved had he entered Drug Rehab
Eating disorders & bad diet are NOT an issue with food but a symptom of an underlying problem People with eating disorders may display a wide range of cognitive and emotional problems, including an intense fear of gaining weight, distress over body size and shape, depression, moodiness (1) dichotomous thinking, low self- esteem and (2) perfectionism.
People develop eating disorders for a variety of reasons. For some people (3) controlling their eating is the only way that they can feel in control of their lives generally. People may be more prone to developing an eating disorder, perhaps due to a personality trait or a (4) lack of security in childhood.

It is now known fact the Elvis died as a result of drug addiction by self medicating on prescription drugs and very bad eating habits. Being Elvis the icon to millions had finally caught up with the man from humble beginnings - however would Elvis be alive today had he entered Drug Rehab program?

Lack of security in childhood - In the case of Elvis Presley his most vivid childhood trauma must have bee seeing his beloved father go to jail. It was at this time that Elvis decided that it was his duty to look after the family. Later Elvis would be the sole income earner for his parents. And throughout his lifetime Elvis sought to provide for his family no matter how distant the relative.

Dichotomous thinking -Trying to be Elvis the icon to millions of fans and on the other hand trying to be an ordinary son to his father Vernon, a husband to Priscilla and loving father to Lisa Marie could pose the duality of being everything to everyone.

Perfectionism - So much was expected of Elvis. With every word, every move, every song, every movie was dissected by the press and the public. For Elvis the stress to achieve perfection must laid heavy on his heart. However, his beautiful voice which he attributed as "A gift from the Lord" never failed him or his adoring public.

Controlling their eating is the only way that they can feel in control of their lives With the every demanding Col Tom Parker and Hollywood studio moguls controlling Elvis' creative spirit and ambitions to become an actor like his screen hero James Dean, Elvis had fallen into the trap of believing that these people knew what was best for him. However, by the end of the 1960's Elvis himself often mentioned that he had no choice in movie scripts or the music soundtracks he was forced to do to make a living.

Lamar Fike: Because I lived at Graceland I saw a lot more than some the other guys. Elvis got his first uppers from what he stole from his mother. Gladys was give Dexedrine to help her with her "change of life" problems. Elvis would swipe them and never let her know. Elvis loved what they did. Any pills. Once I saw him open a box of Bayer aspiring and chew the whole damn bottle. Elvis thought that pills were the answer to everything.

Dr Nick: has just prescribed all of Elvis's regular tour drugs, which were from the drugs he used for his sleeping protocol, He had fourteen different drugs in him when he died. The list of what they found at autopsy was: Codeine - Morphine - Quaaludes - Valium - Diazepam - Placidyl - Amytal - Nembutal - Carbrital - Demerol - Sinutab - Elavil - Avental - Valmid

Billy Smith: It was a vicious cycle - we didn't know how to control. But we tried.

Marty Lacker: Six days after the divorce, Elvis ended up in Baptist Hospital in Memphis. At the time they said it was for recurring pneumonia and pleurisy but he was really in there for detox. Elvis stayed for only two weeks.

Billy Smith: Had Elvis been my son I would had one knockdown, drag-out to get him into rehab. Today it's so different. Performers admit proudly that they have entered a rehab center and don't lose any fans. Performers with drug addictions that admit themselves into drug rehab center are looked upon as role models... as if to say, "if I can do it so can you" How I wish that was true in the 70's during Elvis time.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:39 pm

:wink:
Bill Hicks talking about Rock stars taking drugs.
Starts to talk about it at 5:35 minutes from the start of the clip........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH4NTD8rIJA

Continues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TUXr4OhgME

Another oneabout drugs (Not for the faint-hearted)
:twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J10w3FuCwfQ
Last edited by Ringrock on Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:50 pm

Ringrock wrote::lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J10w3FuCwfQ

Bill Hicks talking about Rock stars taking drugs.......

cheers for the link

heres one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slqXtBZulEs

named"elvis dies" i think its the news of it something like that.

re

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:30 pm

Matt Ashton wrote:I think one of the biggest plagues that causes Elvis to be riddiculed is the overweight, over 40 Tribute Artist. It seems to me they have done more to damage Elvis' Image than Elvis himself dispite the drugs. Why is that some ars*hole who can't sing suddenly thinks they should wear a Jumpsuit? Bad Tribute Artists are a constant reminder of the negative side of Elvis.

i m agree with you, in france there are some overweight singers but it s not a big problem, In the USA, which singer is overweight today ? and do people really care ? (about elton john for example ?)

Re: re

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:18 pm

i m agree with you, in france there are some overweight singers but it s not a big problem, In the USA, which singer is overweight today ? and do people really care ? (about elton john for example ?)[/quote]

I think that in this aspect, Elvis can be compared to nobody. As someone wrote a couple of days ago, he was and probably still is the ultimate male sex symbol. He was a very handsome man and a lot of his succes came from that fact, Elvis was to be good looking and in shape. That is why the overwight Elvis was so "wrong" to many. If Elton John is overwight or not does not affect his image, he has never beena good looking guy and his success and image never depended on him being good looking or in shape. Elvis, the king of rock, had to be lean, mean, kicking ass and performing karate moves on stage. His whole image depended on that. When he suddenly turned into a puffy guy who almost couldn't move, he seemed like a parody if his image.

But, it is sad that a lot of people referrs to the overweight Elvis, even though Elvis was really overwight just for last three years of his life.

re

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:30 pm

too much people forgot E was 183 cm & being overweight with that height is not such a big deal look at some rugby players, a lot are 180 cm with more than 100 kgs :idea:

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:47 pm

samses wrote:i m agree with you, in france there are some overweight singers but it s not a big problem, In the USA, which singer is overweight today ? and do people really care ? (about elton john for example ?)

- What about Meatloaf? Extremely overweight for most of his life.

Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:40 am

deadringer wrote:
samses wrote:i m agree with you, in france there are some overweight singers but it s not a big problem, In the USA, which singer is overweight today ? and do people really care ? (about elton john for example ?)

- What about Meatloaf? Extremely overweight for most of his life.

Good god. Neither of your analogies fit -- as neither of those singers could ever be considered drop-dead gorgeous.

You both seem to miss -- or ignore -- that Elvis made his name in part BECAUSE he looked like no one else, and was a lean, mean SUPER handsome man for nearly his entire career.

His unhealthy weight gain went unnoticed by the general public until his last year, and was then emphasized by the posthumous CBS-TV broadcast.

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:49 pm

I did not write that part. It was a quote from someone earlier, even if I messed something up so that it does not appear as a quote. I am of your opinion.