Post by JonRomanovich »

Is this the shot where he looks pissed?

iF iT'S tOO lOUD, yOU ARE tOO oLD

I'm on facebook!! Jon Romanovich

Topic author
Xaykev
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Xaykev »

Yeah, Jon....well, maybe not pissed, but he does seem a bit irritated doesn't he?

Post by Guest »

Xaykev wrote:Yeah, Jon....well, maybe not pissed, but he does seem a bit irritated doesn't he?

Yeah my thought's exactly, I thinks it's nerves more than being annoyed.

I really must watch this disc I always forget about it in favour of the Big Show.

Thanks Jon.

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

I've always interpreted this as EP being pissed that Hodge fumbles too long with the cape and doesn't give EP another scarf for his ending number.

In other words, .... Hodge blew it.

------------------------

Btw, ...... regarding EP striking Hodge.

Hodge was an annoying drunk at times and you guys have no idea whatsoever what kind of crap that EP had to put up with in his own house (Graceland) because of Hodge on occasion. Hodge could sometimes be as jealous of EP as a woman ............... and when he drank, ........ it usually unlocked his inhibitions / tendency to hide his true feelings.

EP & Hodge had number of big blow-ups privately.

Have said it before, the fandom is only aware of one side of Hodge. The good side. Hodge was a key player in a number of things surrounding EP, much of which may never be known.

N8

Post by Guest »

Come on then..........you can't just leave it there :lol:

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

LittleDarlin wrote:Come on then..........you can't just leave it there :lol:
Alright, I'll give you just this one:

Hodge was asked to move out of Graceland at one point in the late 70's due to his jealousy regarding some of EP's lady friends and all the time that EP was spending with some of them - in lieu of Hodge.

N8

thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by thefunkyangel »

For those who don't know, the Graceland b!tch slapping Presley done on Hodge happened a few days after the May/ June '77 Tour ended!

Joe Car
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Joe Car »

N880EP wrote:
LittleDarlin wrote:Come on then..........you can't just leave it there :lol:
Alright, I'll give you just this one:

Hodge was asked to move out of Graceland at one point in the late 70's due to his jealousy regarding some of EP's lady friends and all the time that EP was spending with some of them - in lieu of Hodge.

N8
In other words, Charlie wanted EP to spend the majority of his time hanging out with just him.
Last edited by Joe Car on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

I'm not sure that Charlie harboured any homosexual feelings towards Elvis any more than any of the other guys, but I think Charlie, more than anyone didn't seem to have much in his life other than Elvis, and so wanted what he saw as his fair share of time / gifts etc from Elvis.

By the sound of the story in If I Can Dream, Charlie probably deserved a slap for his spoiled outburst, that ruined someone else's moment with Elvis.

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

Joe Car wrote:In other words, Charlie wanted EP all to himself!
Just about.

----------------------

Hodge also tried to be a good friend to EP and help him in many ways. I think the guy loved EP too much (kinda of like the fandom itself).

All of the MMM's could sometimes be like a bunch of ex-wives fighting & jealous of each other, all competing for EP's attention / affections. EP was also well aware, ate it up, & sometimes used for his own advantages / control.

Hodge is a fascinating partially told story regarding his role in EP's life.

N8

thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

I can tell you a member of the TCB Band once told me he thought Hodge was gay! Here he is blowing you a :smt058

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

DarrylMac wrote:I'm not sure that Charlie harboured any homosexual feelings towards Elvis any more than any of the other guys, but I think Charlie, more than anyone didn't seem to have much in his life other than Elvis, and so wanted what he saw as his fair share of time / gifts etc from Elvis.

By the sound of the story in If I Can Dream, Charlie probably deserved a slap for his spoiled outburst, that ruined someone else's moment with Elvis.
Well said DarrylMac! I'm going to edit my post a bit as I don't want it to appear that I thought Charlie had homosexual feelings towards Elvis.

Post by Guest »

samses wrote:Elvis seems a little irritated during the rehearsal show. Check the ending on suspicious minds, where he is pissed of with the band (Ronny T) because the ending was not perfect. Elvis yells something just before he does his thing with the arms at the last note of the song.

I've always thought Elvis says "It's ok Ronnie" then yells "G$&damnit" at the end of Suspicious Minds on the Aloha rehearsal show. It's off mic, but sounds like that to me, and we all know he wasn't a stranger to that phrase! Could be wrong, but I've always wondered what others hear.

David

RKSNASHVILLE
Registered for: 21 years

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

davidtcb1 wrote:
I've always thought Elvis says "It's ok Ronnie" then yells "G$&damnit" at the end of Suspicious Minds on the Aloha rehearsal show.

I have to agree with you on this. I noticed it the first time I saw the Alternate Aloha.

Elvis did seem to be irritated during the show.

RKS

KiwiAlan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by KiwiAlan »

I doubt whether any artist or actor in the world does not have some degree of irration during a dress rehearsal. When they lash out at someone else they are really casitgating themselves or an infrastructure failure. All present know this so there is no lasting hurt feelings.

Where I work I have heard the most "unlike his image activity and language" from many stars.

For example the Rolling Stones spent 6 hours waitng then a 3 hour show last year. Only one of their 4 dressing rooms had a trace of alcohol and that was just a hip flask Their choice of drind was Diet Coke and other diet drinks. No Red Bull or others of that ilk. Probably in a few years it will be Ovaltine, Drinking Chocolate, Milo and Sterodent.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Post by Guest »

RKS, yes I've listened to it many times and it sounds like that to me. The next night was a lot different...a lot more polished and at ease, though you could still see obvious nerves. Who wouldn't be that way???

David

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

I always heard the goddammit too. I wonder if he pulled a muscle / hurt his ingrown toenail, or just caused himself some pain with that strectch, and chop at the end of the song.

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

davidtcb1 wrote:
samses wrote:Elvis seems a little irritated during the rehearsal show. Check the ending on suspicious minds, where he is pissed of with the band (Ronny T) because the ending was not perfect. Elvis yells something just before he does his thing with the arms at the last note of the song.

I've always thought Elvis says "It's ok Ronnie" then yells "G$&damnit" at the end of Suspicious Minds on the Aloha rehearsal show. It's off mic, but sounds like that to me, and we all know he wasn't a stranger to that phrase! Could be wrong, but I've always wondered what others hear.
Hmmm....

Well, this certainly wasn't a rare occurence.

What about during his live performance of "Polk Salad Annie" in TTWII? He actually yells out, "Yo!", as in, "Get it together, fool!", and then practically apologises, "You're right, you're right...!"

Isn't there also a flash of anger across his face in the "rehearsal" show of Aloha for "Something"? It occurs when he's strolling across to greet some fans at the side of the stage.

He also waves his hand at and shoots Ronnie or someone else a very dirty look during his performance of "Jailhouse Rock" in EIC. It seems he was looking to blame someone for him screwing up a line. He quickly catches himself and straightens up into a smile.

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Marko »

Cryogenic wrote:He also waves his hand at and shoots Ronnie or someone else a very dirty look during his performance of "Jailhouse Rock" in EIC. It seems he was looking to blame someone for him screwing up a line. He quickly catches himself and straightens up into a smile.
Haven't watched that clip for a while but I think he was telling the cameraman to go away. I could be wrong though.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

One more Hodge-related:

He gives Charlie the MEANEST look in the Comeback Special when he gets out of his seat and pulls the piece of lint off his face! It looks like Elvis is seconds away from smacking him (and in his head, he probably was). It was Charlie's fault for not telling him what the problem was until he fixed it. Scary!

Post by Guest »

Yeah, hard to tell for sure. I think he was quick to throw blame at others on stage when it was usually always his fault...especially later on. That band was incredible at covering his timing errors, ending early, continuing when the song was supposed to be over, etc. Not to mention playing everything at the speed of sound if he didn't really want to sing the song. He knew it deep down I think, but the meds probably made him lash out and speak before he thought a lot of times.

Melanie

Post by Melanie »

Cryogenic wrote:What about during his live performance of "Polk Salad Annie" in TTWII? He actually yells out, "Yo!", as in, "Get it together, fool!", and then practically apologises, "You're right, you're right...!"
On the video it doesn't appear to be anger directed at anyone. It's been a while since I have seen the footage and I might not recall correctly, but the Yo is a cue to the Sweets and the "You're right, you're right" is directed at the Sweets, who are doing their Chica-boom thing.

re: Comeback Special. To me it's more a look of utter surprise and maybe the realisation, that this rather embarrassing moment is being taped. Not that it would ever make it into the final cut. LOL But I could be interpreting this wrongly. I think it's rather funny, with the female fan, who asks for the piece of lint and stashes it away. But at the same time a bizarre display of adoration. EP was probably thinking "This never used to happen to me when I was in that Hollywood rut" :wink:

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

Cryogenic wrote:One more Hodge-related:

He gives Charlie the MEANEST look in the Comeback Special when he gets out of his seat and pulls the piece of lint off his face! It looks like Elvis is seconds away from smacking him (and in his head, he probably was). It was Charlie's fault for not telling him what the problem was until he fixed it. Scary!
One of EP's other nicknames was .......... "Fire-Eyes."

------------------------

What you are seeing here is a brief glimpse of Elvis' annoyance with Hodge's clowning around at the wrong time (something that Hodge often did).

------------------------

Legend has it that nothing compares to the look that EP shot at Pris. when she took Lisa away from Graceland during their separation / divorce.

------------------------

Hodge would instantly go into poodle-mode and sometimes tread very carefully around EP.

N8

Post by Guest »

N8

The Fire Eyes quote..........

I have just watched JRM's Performance as Elvis. For nearly 3 hours I was actually suprised at the ''other'' side of Elvis I didn't know about.

I have seen this Movie slated countless times, yet I thought if they had taken the Music Performances out it would have fared much better, to me His performance was quite good, apart from the awful lip sync on the songs.

It did answer my question as to why the MM didn't do anything to help with the Prescribed Drugs situation..............they didn't dare.

Do you know if any of the MM had anything to do with the Movie......I saw at the end credits EPE name mentioned but that was it.

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

LittleDarlin wrote:N8

The Fire Eyes quote..........

It did answer my question as to why the MM didn't do anything to help with the Prescribed Drugs situation..............they didn't dare.
The ones who did try to do something were fired for it and vilified by the fandom (secondary to emotion & ignorance). Ironically, they were EP's truest friends.
LittleDarlin wrote:Do you know if any of the MM had anything to do with the Movie......I saw at the end credits EPE name mentioned but that was it.
You are not going to get much substance from EPE in this regard ........... and any MMM who cooperates w/ EPE will also white-wash or skew the facts / history as a matter of course. (Those who won't, ........ don't deal w/ EPE).

N8
... not the Doc, Sid ....