All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:50 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Except for the fact that the album should've been Elvis mostly doing just his material, from 1954 to 1969, instead of things like Neil Diamond covers, it is indeed a fantastic LP and his best live album of the decade. Power, energy, humour, it's all there. He looked pretty cool, too.

----------

As for the wonderful cover of Del Shannon's 1961 classic "Runaway" -- it seems with On Stage (99), BMG used an alternate recording.

Each performance is terrific:

22 Aug'69 MS
Today, Tomorrow And Forever

23 Aug'69 MS
On Stage (99) + Elvis At The International (FTD)

24 Aug'69 DS
Live In Las Vegas

24 Aug'69 MS
Here I Go Again (DAE) - "import" CD

25 Aug'69 DS
On Stage -- w/vocal overdubs 31 Mar / 01 Apr'70

26 Aug'69 MS *
Collector's Gold + All Shook Up (FTD)

* Del Shannon is introduced after this rendition!

Ah, now I know why the August 24, 1969 MS live tracks as recently released on the first "Writing for the King" disc sound so familiar, they were previously released on "Here I go again"! You can learn something every day here... ;-)

Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:21 am

This LP actually sold better in its time than From Elvis in Memphis. Although, I wouldn't put up to that lofty standard, I have always contended it as a classic. It's only real flaw is that it is a little derivative.

Elvis in February 1970 was at an all time peak and for the first and maybe last time in his resurrection, he was a completely in the moment artist. The hits he featured in the show were generally his most recent recordings and his remakes also pulled largely from contemporary sources in contemporary arrangements with some oldies sprinkled in. (Of course oldies is a relative term. When Elvis was singing "Runaway" that song was all of eight years old, the same age as say "Livin' La Vida Loca" today or a lot younger than "Smells Like Teen Spirit today.) The swamp rock pieces like "Polk Salad Annie" and "Proud Mary" finds him in touch with contemporary musical trends as do the A/C pieces like the Diamond songs. Both rockers and ballads are treated with equivalent mustard. Songs like "In the Ghetto" and "Walk a Mile in My Shoes" also give us a hint that he is at least aware of what is happening in the world at large. His stage garb is so ahead of the curve that other A/C acts and some rocks acts will spend the next few years catching up.

I'm also not a fan of the 1999 mix. But I have the boxed set with the right mixes.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:49 am

thenexte wrote:Ah, now I know why the August 24, 1969 MS live tracks as recently released on the first "Writing for the King" disc sound so familiar, they were previously released on "Here I go again"! You can learn something every day here... ;-)

Thanks. You can trust the doc!

Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:03 pm

I'll take the original release over the remixed CD version any day... what an engineering disaster...

Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:15 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I'll take the original release over the remixed CD version any day... what an engineering disaster...

To my ears, it's not the mixing that's the issue, it's the noise reduction. I just don't like it.

I was listening to the Japanese MSG CD the other day, and heard cymbals! Listening to the US version, you'd think Ronnie left his cymbals behind in the previous city.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:43 pm

[quote="elvisjock"][

I was listening to the Japanese MSG CD the other day, and heard cymbals! Listening to the US version, you'd think Ronnie left his cymbals behind in the previous city.[/quote

It's the same with nearly ALL of the Japanese remasters. Puts all the others (70's box set included) to shame.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:47 pm

elvisjock wrote:Listening to the US version, you'd think Ronnie left his cymbals behind in the previous city.

What city would that have been?

on stage

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:26 pm

This album gets a good write up on iTunes. I'd post the link, but unfortunately there is a problem accessing the Elvis section on the site at the moment. :?

Re: on stage

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:30 pm

heathbarclay wrote:This album gets a good write up on iTunes. I'd post the link, but unfortunately there is a problem accessing the Elvis section on the site at the moment. :?

iTunes has an Elvis section? Please enlighten me...

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:16 pm

elvisjock wrote:
Listening to the US version, you'd think Ronnie left his cymbals behind in the previous city.

What city would that have been?

Rob, that would have been the city they were in before they arrived at the one they were in next.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:15 am

DarrylMac wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Listening to the US version, you'd think Ronnie left his cymbals behind in the previous city.

Rob wrote:What city would that have been?

Rob, that would have been the city they were in before they arrived at the one they were in next.

Rob is a card.

But the band did rehearse -- or gather -- someplace before New York, probably Los Angeles. So Ronnie could have left his cymbals there!

Ho ho!

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:57 am

Its a prime album. Its Elvis at his stage best, the band, everybody. I ahve the extended version on Las Vegas boxset cd 3

Re: on stage

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:09 am

thenexte wrote:iTunes has an Elvis section? Please enlighten me...

They've got a great picture of Elvis on the biography page. There's a pretty decent selection of albums available too. Most of the reviews are positive. Unfortunately, I can't supply a direct link to it. The best I can do is - http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/ I guess you have to download the program to view the stuff.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:11 am

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:Its a prime album. Its Elvis at his stage best, the band, everybody.

Agreed Fully :!:

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:43 am

The See See Rider on this record is unbelievable; my favourite version, bar none.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:34 am

I love the original version of this album. But I don't care for the '99
re-issue version.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:41 am

I enjoy both releases.
I agree that the mix is better on the original but I do enjoy the upgrade aswell.

Totally agree, GREAT album & I have been playing both versions of late.
Sadly I do not own the Japanese upgrade, wish I did. Sometimes I find myself spending too much on Elvis anad have to draw the line. Having it repeated on the 'Las Vegas' box-set too... phewie ...

Damnit I even agree with the Doc too!!!
Except for the fact that the album should've been Elvis mostly doing just his material, from 1954 to 1969, instead of things like Neil Diamond covers- Dr JC

I never could get to like Sweet Caroline but in the end forgive Elvis for his sensational TJW Polk cover.

Brilliant album in any form,

Cheers
Piers

?

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:58 pm

ERROR.
Last edited by TONY on Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:00 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:Its a prime album. Its Elvis at his stage best, the band, everybody. I ahve the extended version on Las Vegas boxset cd 3

But, of course, as with most Elvis releases, this omits the versions of "Runaway" and "Yesterday/Hey Jude" that were on the 1999 remaster of "On stage", only the version of "Runaway" on "On stage" (the 1999 remaster!) is an alternate one to the version that was originally on "On stage" when it first came out in 1970!! (Phew! Got that?!)
THE CATALOGUE IS IN A MESS!!!

Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:21 pm

TONY wrote:
Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:Its a prime album. Its Elvis at his stage best, the band, everybody. I ahve the extended version on Las Vegas boxset cd 3

But, of course, as with most Elvis releases, this omits the versions of "Runaway" and "Yesterday/Hey Jude" that were on the 1999 remaster of "On stage", only the version of "Runaway" on "On stage" (the 1999 remaster!) is an alternate one to the version that was originally on "On stage" when it first came out in 1970!

As succintly pointed out above this alternate version of "Runaway" can also be found on the Elvis At The International FTD CD. So in essence the entire 1999 "On Stage" remaster has been made obsolete, is that correct?

Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 am

And i know what you;re thinking, that its a copy. Its not. I bought this myself, among many,many,many other things of Elvis's and others. I saved up $240 to get a Doors boxset, so i'm not as lazy as u may think lol 8)

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:54 am

I have original album on CD and the upgraded 1999 version aswell. I have to admit that since I have the 1999 version I only played it because I assumed that this should be the better, but it seems that the original is better, according to many of you. I don't know if this happens in both versions or only in the 1999 one, but I found disappointing how low sound Elvis' comments and audience's reactions after each song; it looks like if there were only two or three persons attending the concert. I love Elvis' version of Let It Be Me, absolutely fantastic, full of elegance and good taste, a masterpiece. Long Tall Sally is only an example of a song that would shock non Elvis' fans: is this the decadent Elvis???

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:09 pm

I had a touch of deja vu when I read this review on Amazon.com:

Presley's Best Live 1970s Album, June 14, 2000

Reviewer: Johnny Savage (Berkeley CA) -

Currently the single best "mature" live Presley album, this would be rated five stars if it simply drew from tunes recorded at his Memphis '69 sessions or more of Elvis's own classic back catalog. Despite the preponderance of covers from this Jan/Feb'70 session in Vegas (just Presley's second visit, I might add), his vocals and the band's performance are both superb. The is the last time Presley would sing with the "fire" in his voice first heard in his 1968 TV Special rebirth. At this point in his career he is a valid and creative artist, just coming off of a number one single and an amazing album release of his 1969 Memphis sessions, 'From Elvis In Memphis.' And, as bodyguard Sonny West notes, he's "thinner than a rake and handsomer than ten movie stars." The decline wouldn't set in for a few more years, and this is how I want to remember Elvis in the 1970's. :wink:

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:17 pm

I agree that Elvis sounded fantastic and it was a great time to capture him.

I think the improvement in Elvis singing technically and the actual sound of his voice leaves the Aug 69 live stuff behind. I cannot believe the difference.

However, I think that Elvis as he was documented in TTWII (Outtakes included) surpasses the Feb 1970 material. Elvis seems to sing with more authority and confidence.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:33 pm

I don’t care for the 1999 re-issue which is effectively a completely different album, but the original programme is my favourite 70’s live set. There may be better representations of a typical Presley show in terms of the material on offer, but none capture Elvis in this sort of form. He really was at the top of his game.

It’s worth noting that earlier material played a big part in Elvis’ comeback with the resulting album from the NBC TV Special and the 1969 live set “In Person” both featuring updated interpretations of earlier hits.

I would guess that this was a factor that influenced the decision to go with a covers concept for the “On Stage” album, and for me this worked very well. The fact that the album wasn’t simply a collection of live hits showed that Elvis in 1970 was still progressing, and even if nostalgia for the ‘50’s may have been a big factor in why many people decided to go and see him, the album showed that there was more to his Vegas shows than rock n roll revival.