All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:24 pm

Ramiro wrote:I have original album on CD and the upgraded 1999 version aswell. I have to admit that since I have the 1999 version I only played it because I assumed that this should be the better, but it seems that the original is better, according to many of you. I don't know if this happens in both versions or only in the 1999 one, but I found disappointing how low sound Elvis' comments and audience's reactions after each song; it looks like if there were only two or three persons attending the concert. I love Elvis' version of Let It Be Me, absolutely fantastic, full of elegance and good taste, a masterpiece. Long Tall Sally is only an example of a song that would shock non Elvis' fans: is this the decadent Elvis???

I was also disappointed in the sound mix on the 1999 re-issue - especially where they lowered the sound level on the dialogue between songs, and also where they snipped out Elvis' intro to "Let It Be Me"

Too bad they didn't have the same crew that handled the sound on the 1980 "Elvis Aron Presley" box set. That box set has a live recording of "Kentucky Rain" from February 1970. You can hear the dialogue on there without a problem (meaning you don't have to constantly adjust the sound to hear what Elvis is saying between songs).

Also, on "Suspicious Minds", the horns aren't as prominent as they normally should be.

What they should have done is to have the ten songs (from the original 1970 album) in their original running order, then the bonus songs would be from Track 11 to the final track. I would've made an exception for
"Yesterday" and "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" - since "Hey Jude" and "In the Ghetto" would be brought back on there (after being edited out of the 1970 release).

Tom (from Ohio)

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:01 pm

hounddawgs6499 wrote:
I was also disappointed in the sound mix on the 1999 re-issue - especially where they lowered the sound level on the dialogue between songs, and also where they snipped out Elvis' intro to "Let It Be Me"

Too bad they didn't have the same crew that handled the sound on the 1980 "Elvis Aron Presley" box set. That box set has a live recording of "Kentucky Rain" from February 1970. You can hear the dialogue on there without a problem (meaning you don't have to constantly adjust the sound to hear what Elvis is saying between songs).

Also, on "Suspicious Minds", the horns aren't as prominent as they normally should be.

What they should have done is to have the ten songs (from the original 1970 album) in their original running order, then the bonus songs would be from Track 11 to the final track. I would've made an exception for
"Yesterday" and "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" - since "Hey Jude" and "In the Ghetto" would be brought back on there (after being edited out of the 1970 release).

Tom (from Ohio)

Hey Jude should have stayed on the cutting room floor so to speak, ruins the lovely Yesterday. As to the between song dialogue, I doubt this was physically lowered during the mixing process rather, I suspect this is the original level as appears on the tape.