All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:39 am

JLGB wrote:
ekenee wrote:Elvis in 1977 quote:

"It's called Tryin' to get to you....or

You all.......according to what part of the country your from.

or you's. .... Ya'll" .

You's is east coast dilect speech pattern. But only in pockets.

Italian American I would guess.

Hughes, does not even make sense within the context.
Thank you. Good explanation and now makes sense to me. Otherwise it would still be Hughes. :lol: Does not hurt to be nice. :)

Ah, sh*t. I always thought he said "trying to get to use." I guess that ain't a proper English expression, though. But it does sound pretty funny to a guy like me. My use of the English language has a Swedish influence to it. :oops:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:01 pm

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 27, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:39 pm

Steve_M wrote:Has it been confirmed that it will be on the FTD label ?

Yes. Ernst said this in an interview in Elvis: The Man And His Music. Don't tell me you ain't got a subscription, Mr. Steve! :wink:

Of course, things can change, but that is what he said about a year ago. Ernst also writes about the SUN project in every issue, he's written four articles so far. Very interesting. Ernst is the man, no doubt about that.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:55 pm

or you's. .... Ya'll" .

Hughes, does not even make sense within the context.

Thanks, ekenee! Been wonderin' about this for a long time... took me years to figure out the "according to what part of the country..." part. And Keith, I also thought it was "use" - must be a Swedish thing :lol:

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:38 am

or you's. .... Ya'll" .

What makes you think it's an "Italian American" speech pattern :?:

Interesting ...

My wife is Irish American and she says it all the time ... :lol:

Y'ALL

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:30 pm

ELVIS SAYS "YOU'SE"!!! He's making fun of various American accents! Simple as that! Who or what is "Hughes"??!!! Simarlarly on "Polk salad Annie", Elvis is NOT singing the line "where the aligators go to some meeting"!!! Do not believe the Japanese lyric sheets!!!

Regarding the Sun project, do I take it there will be a separate project featuring the existing unreleased songs "Rock around the clock" and "Little mama"?! How much longer do we have to wait for these?! I know the quality is not perfect but they can be cleaned up. After all ,they released awful quality songs like "Hearts of stone" and "Oh happy day"!

Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:50 pm

I wonder if they have "found" The Pied Piper Of Cleveland ? Now there's something I would absolutely pay almost ANY price for ( within reason ).

I've read about it so much, and it definetely belongs on a SUN era compilation like the FTD project -

Plus, I have read so much about possible tape-copies of Elvis' sessions that Sam made for himself, even Billy Poore wrote in his book that he heard some alternate takes of Good Rockin' Tonight which were in the possession of Charlie Feathers at the time ( 1970s ), I wonder if someone may have them lying around in their attics, just gathering dust and rotting away .....

Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:32 am

I have often wondered whether Sam Phillips had kept a few tapes despite the official stance that he turned everything he had over to RCA.

Of course, even in 1955 there were a few lost master tapes, such as Blue Moon of Kentucky. Given the photos of the Sun control room that show Sam awash in a sea of tape boxes, it is entirely possible that one or two Elvis tapes may have stayed behind at Union Avenue.

I said "possible".

However, we have also read that Sam was always strapped for cash and lots of comments can be heard on various session tapes about "this expensive tape". I would imagine that a lot of Elvis' experments and outtakes were taped over with little regret by Sam. I can't see him making backup copies of any of the sessions.

And even if such tapes did exist, Ernst would have to have the cooperation of the Phillips family. I know that Knox provided some narrative for "Elvis At Sun", so maybe that's a good sign. Even if no new tapes surface, Knox Phillips could certainly add some insight to the book.

In all honesty, I wouldn't expect to see much more than a few additional minutes of "When It Rains It Really Pours" as new studio outtakes. Or the false start to "My Baby's Gone" that has only been on LP thus far.

I saw demoes mentioned in an earlier post. Could that be the long-awaited release of "Without You" or Charlie Feathers singing "I Forgot To Remember To Forget"?

And another question: Should the acetate of "Fool Fool Fool" and "Shake Rattle and Roll" that has been released on "The 50's Masters" and "Sunrise" be part of the set? I certainly hope so, because it was recorded in early 1955, an era from which few outtakes have survived. It is a good illustration of Elvis' fondness for covering R&B tunes and one can't help but think that Elvis played this one for Sam around the time they were working on "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone".

It's all a guessing game right now. All I know is that I look forward to hearing this in August!

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:31 am

Great post.

Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:However, we have also read that Sam was always strapped for cash and lots of comments can be heard on various session tapes about "this expensive tape". I would imagine that a lot of Elvis' experments and outtakes were taped over with little regret by Sam. I can't see him making backup copies of any of the sessions.

This is my belief as well, although for the FTD SUN project Ernst will not hold back any stray seconds of tape he may've found.

Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:In all honesty, I wouldn't expect to see much more than a few additional minutes of "When It Rains It Really Pours" as new studio outtakes. Or the false start to "My Baby's Gone" that has only been on LP thus far.

There are at least four alternates of the fantastic slow version of "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone" officially unissued on CD, they should make the FTD set. Also, the "dry" version of "That's All Right" (SUN 209) is expected, that'll be a neat addition to the collection. Some of the live in 1955 recordings will surprise and delight just about everyone.

Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:Could that be the long-awaited release of "Without You" or Charlie Feathers singing "I Forgot To Remember To Forget"?

The complete May 1954 "unknown singer" acetate would be wonderful, it is of such historic interest, but licensing is apparently a major roadblock. Any Charlie Feathers demo is extremely unlikely, although his version of "We're Getting Closer To Being Apart" might be a better choice, in a perfect world.

Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:Should the acetate of "Fool Fool Fool" and "Shake Rattle and Roll" that has been released on "The 50's Masters" and "Sunrise" be part of the set?

Yes! It will likely have a place, and be speed-corrected as well.

Rtn 2 Sndr wrote: ... one can't help but think that Elvis played this one for Sam ...

The January 1955 Lubbock acetate is an example of the material rehearsed -- and sometimes taped -- at SUN. Other tunes could or did include "I Got A Woman," "Tweedlee Dee," "Maybelline," "How Do You Think I Feel?" and "Tiger Man." The "Hayride" recordings that year are also a barometer for what Elvis, Scotty and Bill might've hashed out with Sam at 706 Union.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:43 am

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 27, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:58 am

i hope they will release rock around the clock and little mama in our lifetime.

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:22 am

Nice discussion...It's whetting my appetite for the Sun Box, as if it needed any more!

JLGB wrote: BMG, FTD has gone further downhill lately with Ernst seemingly (and others) just concentrating on that Sun project. I am pretty sure it will be an awsome package. But then what? Will we keep on trucking? (imo) But someone has to start getting the EP catalog in shape because it is a mess. It has taken a while for it to get like that. As far back as(1999) when mistakes such as releasing first album(67735-2) with Heartbreak Hotel as opener! And 5(five) first album CDs later comes FTD "final" version. I know now why I still have not gotten around to getting it. Thats just 1 (one) example of many.

Elvis Presley - Special Edition (FTD, 2-CD set, 2006)
Disc 1

The Album:

Blue Suede Shoes
I'm Counting On You
I Got A Woman
One Sided Love Affair
I Love You Because
Just Because
Tutti Frutti
Trying To Get To You
I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You)
I'll Never Let You Go (Little Darlin')
Blue Moon
Money Honey

Bonus Singles:

Heartbreak Hotel
I Was The One
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
Shake Rattle And Roll
My Baby Left Me
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You

First RCA Sessions:

I Got A Woman - incomplete unk tk no.
I Got A Woman - unk tk no.
Heartbreak Hotel - incomplete tk 4
Heartbreak Hotel - tk 5
Heartbreak Hotel - tk 6
Money Honey - fragments
Money Honey - incomplete tk 10
I'm Counting On You - tk 1
I'm Counting On You - incomplete unk tk no.
I'm Counting On You - tk 13
I'm Counting On You - incomplete tk 14
I Was The One - tk 1
I Was The One - tk 2 (false start)
I Was The One - tk 2
I Was The One - tk 3 (false start)
I Was The One - tk 7A (not master)
I Was The One - incomplete unk tk

Disc 2

The Dry Reverb Tape:

I'm Counting On You - tk 1
I'm Counting On You - incomplete tk 2

Session Outtakes:

Lawdy Miss Clawdy - tk 1
Lawdy Miss Clawdy - tk 2
Lawdy Miss Clawdy - tk 3
Lawdy Miss Clawdy - tk 4
Lawdy Miss Clawdy - tk 5
Lawdy Miss Clawdy - tk 6
Lawdy Miss Clawdy - tk 7
Lawdy Miss Clawdy - tk 8
Lawdy Miss Clawdy - tk 9
Lawdy Miss Clawdy - tk 10
Lawdy Miss Clawdy - tk 11
Lawdy Miss Clawdy - tk 12
Shake, Rattle And Roll - tk 1
Shake, Rattle And Roll - tk 2
Shake, Rattle And Roll - tk 3
Shake, Rattle And Roll - tk 5
Shake, Rattle And Roll - tk 6
Shake, Rattle And Roll - tk 7
Shake, Rattle And Roll - tk 8
Shake, Rattle And Roll - tk 9
Shake, Rattle And Roll - tk 10
Shake, Rattle And Roll - tk 11
Shake, Rattle And Roll - tk 12
Shake, Rattle And Roll - tk 12 (undubbed master)
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You - tk 1 (slate only)
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You - tk 3
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You - tk 4
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You - tk 5 (fragment)
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You - tk 13
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You - tk 14 (incomplete)
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You - tk 15
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You - tk 16
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You - tk 17

Don Davis Interviews Elvis Presley

With all due respect, JLGB, and I hesitate to say this, but if you're not even getting FTD's like "His Hand In Mine" (as you stated somewhere here) or "Elvis Presley - Special Edition" (the first album), how can you be saying FTD is going "downhill lately"? Why, some of the "Unchained Melody"'s audio flaws that were much discussed here? (I have it and for the record, I think it's still an okay release.)

We all live to be irritated by having to buy some of the same music again but such is our burden. :D The '99 "Elvis Presley" CD, incidentally, was entiredly remastered by Kevan Budd some five years later with the songs put in the original order (bonus cuts in the back) and could (can) be purchased at a fair price. Surely with audio, it's not uncommon for digital mastering techniques to change for the better on a half-decade basis -and then the deluxe two-CD set is on a whole 'nother level of greatness.

I don't yet have "Writing for the King" either but know when I do get it soon, it will be further proof that FTD is doing just fine, thank you. :D

Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:13 pm

[quote="Rtn 2 Sndr"]I have often wondered whether Sam Phillips had kept a few tapes despite the official stance that he turned everything he had over to RCA.quote]

Well, he seemed to miraculously keep the out-takes of other Sun lable artists, namely Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis! Funny, that!

Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:57 pm

TONY wrote:
Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:I have often wondered whether Sam Phillips had kept a few tapes despite the official stance that he turned everything he had over to RCA.quote]

Well, he seemed to miraculously keep the out-takes of other Sun lable artists, namely Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis! Funny, that!

Carl & Jerry Lee were major stars whilst still with Sun. Elvis wasn't.

Re: Upcoming FTD Sun set

Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:09 am

If Elvis At SUN (BMG 2004) -- the best-ever album of Elvis' seminal, thrilling early records -- had sold a 1,000,000 copies, the SUN box+book would be on the main label.

What are the numbers ( world wide ). Someone here must know how many copies of "Elvis At Sun" sold.

upcoming ftd

Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:45 am

... Ernie mentioned 20 000 somewhere, in an interview, several

months after it was released...

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:08 am

Ernie mentioned 20 000 somewhere

That's not too much,unfortunately. But that was more than 2 years ago.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:42 pm

Well, consider that it got zero promotion, especially compared to 1987's "The Complete Sun Sessions" and 1999 (?)'s Sun set.

I viewed ELVIS AT SUN as kind of a place-holder in the catalog. An attempt to reassert the copyright and just keep the famous Sun album in print, in the best possible sound. Obviously, by then, the thinking was that it would grow into the Sun book/cd project.

Finally, by 2004, sadly, CD sales had begun their slow decline and I viewed the lack of promotion as being part of a recoginition of diminished expectations. After all, it wasn't new material, just a new title and better sound. It was, however, the best ever version. Too many here have sat on their hands on not bought it yet!

The same can be said of the "Elvis Presley," "Elvis" and "Loving You" Kevan Budd 2005 remasters. They didn't intend for them to break any sales records....