All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Upcoming FTD Sun set

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:06 pm

The more I think about it, the more I believe that the upcoming FTD Sun
set is way too important to be just confined to the FTD label. I think
it deserves a full push via RCA label--and with a book contained in the set
and having the ultimate best sounding versions and some new found
trinkets, I think historically--it's way too important and needs a wider
audience beyond fans of FTD label. With it being on RCA and getting major media attention would be the smart way to go. Whadda ya all think?

Regards,
Buffalo Wings
:)

killed

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:13 pm

I think any further Sun releases on the main lable wouldn't be big news. This is BMG/RCA's own fault for already issuing too many Sun compilations in the past already, leaving the public baffled as to which one to purchase! It's the same with the many, many Christmas compilation relases!

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:16 pm

That's why they should discontinue all versions on the market and
make this one (via the RCA label) THE diffinitive and only set to own/purchase for now on.

Regards,
Buffalo Wings
:)

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:18 pm

That hasn't worked at all for the previous Sun related RCA/BMG releases. What's changed???

Tom

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:22 pm

I don't agree that a new Sun package on the main label wouldn't get much notice. It's important in retail to continually serve up your product in attractive new packaging.

People shopping for Christmas music that see a "new" Elvis Christmas album will tend to be more responsive than if the same package was trotted out year after year. Of course, "people" in this case refers to non-collectors. The chart performance of the most recent Elvis Christmas release is evidence that this theory works.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:48 pm

The upcoming FTD Sun release is primarily a book project. The CD is very secondary part of the package. Unfortunately this item will not sell enough units to get SONY/BMG excited about a release.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:31 pm

We know from official comment that previous Sun sales have been disappointing.

We should be extremely grateful that we'll be getting this definitive project, while at the same time recognizing that the general public doesn't care as much as we do about getting a carefully restored 18-second false start of I'm Left, You're Right, My Baby's Gone for the first time on CD.

Much less will they even understand why anyone would care about finally getting a pristine transfer of the original dry sound of Sun's That's All Right single.

Let's just be glad Ernst and Roger have nurtured FTD so that such things -- and much, much more -- can escape from the vaults.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:53 pm

The general public are served with 'Elvis at Sun'. Elvis collectors, the market for this release, more than likely are aware of FTD so what difference does it make?

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:56 pm

I hope Mr. Budd can work his magic on those live acetate recordings!

JEFF d
EAP fan

Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:02 am

Elvis At Sun sounds amazing! That's out there for general public, which is great. Forthcoming Sun set is more aimed at collectors - which are us. So we should be happy....also worth remembering, new Sun outtakes won't just drop out of the sky. I look forward to this being the definitive Sun set, after that books might just be closed forever.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:07 am

elvisjock wrote:
People shopping for Christmas music that see a "new" Elvis Christmas album will tend to be more responsive than if the same package was trotted out year after year. Of course, "people" in this case refers to non-collectors. The chart performance of the most recent Elvis Christmas release is evidence that this theory works.

Man, do I hate "people". Just kidding, but as mentioned the general public is probably very much confused with the repeat marketing of BMG. I think other artists like Johnny Cash have the same problem. If you go to his section at the store, there seems to be endless compiliations and you really don't know what to think. BMG needs to stop making so many compilations every 2 years. Less is more, applies here.

I do think that this historical stuff should be made for the general public but would they accept a book with cd's? Hard to say, but just as in films, everything doesn't have to be about money. The art must be considered as well. Today it seems to be all about how many units can we move.

I think that is bad for the industry in the long run. Just look at the crap out there now. Its all smoke and mirrors. All surface and no substance.
But man oh man are they making the quick buck or what.
Yes, but where will most of these "artists" be in 10 years?
Starring in Reality shows????

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:11 am

ekenee: That's the point. Labels don't care where these "artists" will be in ten years. It's all about "NOW". They don't worry about tomorrow because they'll just manufacture a bunch of new "artists".

Sadly, it seems that it's become all about "today" with Elvis as well.
Make the money while we can because who knows what the market will be like tomorrow.

I believe that we've pretty much seen the end of true artists with legitimite "lasting" careers ala Elvis, Johnny Cash, Tony Bennett, etc.
I just use those names as examples. There are/were others.

These days it's here today, gone tomorrow.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:02 am

When Ernst finally completes this project, expect it to be pricey. The general consumer will not shell out big money for a SUN package. "Elvis At Sun" is the perfect vehicle for the general consumer.

Re: Upcoming FTD Sun set

Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:46 am

Buffalo Wings wrote:With it being on RCA and getting major media attention would be the smart way to go. Whadda ya all think?

If Elvis At SUN (BMG 2004) -- the best-ever album of Elvis' seminal, thrilling early records -- had sold a 1,000,000 copies, the SUN box+book would be on the main label.

It didn't, and we should be grateful FTD is in place to provide us with this forthcoming landmark release.

There will be things in the book that will be mind-blowing, and the CDs a real treat, thanks to Ernst's diligence and Kevan Budd's mastering.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:53 am

I hope Ernst gets this project out of the way soon.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:52 pm

Any word on a release date for this yet? I believe the book is finished so it can't too long. I did read somewhere that there would be 3 discs, don't know if that's still the case?

Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:32 am

JLGB wrote:I hope Ernst gets this project out of the way soon.

"Out of the way"?

Delboy wrote:Any word on a release date for this yet? I believe the book is finished so it can't too long. I did read somewhere that there would be 3 discs, don't know if that's still the case?

Where did you hear or read the FTD SUN book was "finished"? IIRC, there is no release date set, but all primary research is complete -- and there is a LOT of it, unlike other recent books on the subject. It should be three CDs, if all goes well.

Here's hoping that anyone on this MB who knows how amazing Elvis was in 1954-55 will support this FTD project. The discs will be wonderful, and the book even more so. Mark my words.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:33 am

I've been told this book / CD set should be out by August - and by all accounts the "Memphis Recording Service" sets are said to be like "Promo's" compared to it :lol:

Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:46 am

i will buy the sun set if i don't die first :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:50 am

Im really looking forward to this realease its bound to be the greatets realease ever on elvis sun years

looking forward to read the book
and to hear what ernst can come up with of unreleased material.

but even if their isnt any new material on it, its gonna be great to have this dokument of elvis at sun.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:56 am

I for am glad that Ernst is taking his time with this project. It is much too important to rush out. I was one of the ones that said that I didn't care if it took a while just along as it was done right. I kind of wish he took more time on other projects as well just to make sure mistakes are not made. Given that, I do hope it gets released soon. It sounds like it will be great.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:06 am

[quote="ekenee"]I for am glad that Ernst is taking his time with this project. It is much too important to rush out.

yep you got that right, much to important to rush out

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:09 am

R.R.D wrote:Im really looking forward to this realease its bound to be the greatets realease ever on elvis sun years

looking forward to read the book
and to hear what ernst can come up with of unreleased material.

but even if their isnt any new material on it, its gonna be great to have this dokument of elvis at sun.

There IS new material on it :wink:

Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:55 am

I agree that Ernst and company should take their time and make this the ultimate reissue of the Sun material. I am perfectly happy listening to "Elvis At Sun" in the meantime.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:04 am

rock around the clock
little mama
will these be on there?