All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:54 am

Ronny G- in its ahead of its time I meant a boxed set release solely dedicated to rarities. The boxed set was a niche specialty at this time, many doo wop artists as well as Holly had their entire output released in the box form in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Although it only takes up two CDs today, when it was first released in 1970 50 Worldwide Gold Award Hits was a multi-LP boxed set.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:32 am

And one of my earliest introductions to his hits, after "Golden Records" (Volume One)....

LTB, I guess you make some good points. I felt like I had come out of the desert when the Sun / Memphis '69 and other releases came out in the '80s.

I'm not really all that fond of Deary's releases, come to think of it, but I guess I just think that hindsight is 20/20 and she did what she could. The timing was right for Geller to do the blues album (etc.), but would it have been in '80 or '81? We'll never know.

I just know that from comments made here, as well as the audio-clip (do give it a listen!) and the notes to the Gold Box show that she was doing great behind the scenes work on those home recordings, right down to adding weights to records to make them play right. She was more than a Steve Sholes, I'll put it that way, and even he wasn't all bad.

Like Elvis' lowest moments of the '60s and even (gasp) "Colonel Parker" I accept that this is what happened during (or after) Elvis' career and it relates as much to Elvis (or his recordings) and the context they were made available in as much as any one "executive producer" or other actor was able to pull off.

I guess you've managed to make clear that she probably should have been "voted off the island" much sooner, but in time, having access to so much Presley material, I really can't get that worked up over it. I can get that way about decisions made during his career (no Betty Ford-like detox, "Queenie Waheenie," or "Burning Love and Other Hits From His Movies..") but what she put out at the end, well, learning how to package Elvis as an artist after 1977 was hardly self-evident. To this day, we still see that it's not always obvious.

Also, I would say that Elvis' depression and career decisions brought on the spectacle of him competing with Deary-sponsored projects like the "Legendary Performer" LPs. He might have benefited from analyzing why these releases struck a chord, unlike his mostly erratic and downbeat '70's original output.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:27 am

The thing was Greg that the covers on the LP releases were very similar to the covers of Elvis' current releases creating the potential for much confusion. What's worse is that it was not indicative of the actual product which was primarily '50s and '60s songs.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:01 am

I do not find legendary releases like others whatsover..It was same format as other artists series..Gellers rocker series was bad with Elvis looking like James Dean more than himself and someone that did not exist..Always On My Mind album with Aloha meets Vegas art!BAD.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:07 pm

I know what you mean about Rocker but then, Elvis did model himself after James Dean in the '50s, among others. Given how badly his image was by '84-85, I loved that record as an antidote for friends who didn't get why Elvis was once considered such a "bad-ass."

likethebike wrote:No offense is intended to those who knew Ms. Deary. However, the hubris of her attempt to take the production reins from Felton, who, for whatever his flaws, unlike Deary had actual experience making a pop record, has always rankled me as has the fact that her Legendary Performer Volumes were released with covers that could be confused with Elvis' current work. The comments I have read from her have betrayed a lack of knowledge of Elvis' cultural status and quite frankly EAP and LP aside, her product was consistently poor.

Look at the work that Geller did for the label in the ensuing years after her departure. Something like the two Rocker volumes, the care in assembling the material and the selection of the covers. Look that Geller went out and got Peter Guralnick to pen the notes on Reconsider Baby and The Complete Sun Sessions. Just look at the idea that Reconsider Baby was a blues album. Elvis' status as a blues singer was secret knowledge among Elvis' most diehard fans and knowledgeable critics but nobody in the rest of world had any clue? There's just a knowledge and passion for the music as well as an idea of what an LP should be and that it could say something that is not there in any package that Deary created.

Also it was on Geller's watch that one of the most important moves in posthumous Elvis history occurred, when RCA issued Elvis, Elvis Presley, Elvis' Christmas Album and Elvis' Golden Records in original mono sound instead of the reprocessed stereo in which they had been solely available for years (before Deary). Forget all the recent remasters. This was the sonic upgrade of all time. Those reprocessed stereo songs sounded horrible and that was how Elvis' 50s tracks sounded for almost two decades. Growing up with the reprocessed tracks, I accepted them. After listening to the original mono, it was like WTF when I went back and listened to the reprocessed stuff. RCA was the first major label to move "backwards" on a project like this (at least that's what the trades said at the time) and they've never looked back.

You're right about the Legendary covers. I guess coming off that deal with RCA in '73 (?), the door was opened for even a more confused catalog policy. But those LEGENDARY covers were pretty iconic. Volume 3 used a great '50s shot, after his death. I was blown away by "Danny" on that record...

You're so right about the sound. I was embarrassed to realize that I had grown up that echo-laden, "fake stereo" sound so when the Geller-restored mono Lps came out, I realized I had been listening to the wrong stuff.

Part of me has a weird nostalgia for that "electronically-reprocessed stereo" .... :oops: :oops: :lol:

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:55 pm

I had no problem with stereo reprocessed cause in my room I had a small MONO record player!!! :lol: And THE STEREO SYSTEM in my house was off limits to kids!! :)

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:01 am

And they inadvertantly created a total audiophile as a result! :lol:

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:47 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Elvis-Aron-Presley- ... dZViewItem

EAP box on ebay.