Where No One Stands Alone

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Robert

Post by Robert »

ekenee wrote:JLGB wrote: Elvis sang that song with reverb plus the room it was recorded and to apreciate that you have to try to recreate a bit of how it sounded then.

Sounded to who? The band, Elvis, The audience in the 50th row. the first row? The sound engineers?
That is part of what I meant by sound being subjective. It is and always will be.
Geezz.. don't make things too difficult here.
Sounding to first aid people outside the building? Joe Guercio in the back of the stage? Roadies during the sound check...?

I hope you agree concerts are held for the people in attendance, the fans.
So it is justified to present concerts the way people heard it that evening.

Crappy, low quality, unbalanced sounding soundboards have nothing to do with the sound in the audience.

Presenting soundboards without proper mastering has nothing to do with "original sound", "the way it was meant to be", or whatever..

I'm with JLGB on this topic.
If we can fix these recordings by adding reverb or other elements, we can actually enjoy them...

Cheers, RJ

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

Robert wrote:I hope you agree concerts are held for the people in attendance, the fans.
That pretty much says it.

Soundboards are a way of bringing Elvis into your home. The original sound of the concert -- as it pertains to the music -- should be preserved. And that means adding reverb.

But ekenee still has a valid point: sound is subjective. Even subtle differences can be felt in a big way. The mixing and mastering of a concert, even if the aim is to emulate the sound in a venue as heard by an audience member, is still loaded with variables.

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

elbo51 wrote:This file is blocked & unavailable too. What gives?
Trust me , it sounds good :wink:

I am sure it is downloaded on my PC somewhere, but I'm buggered if I can find it, otherwise I'd email it over.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Cryogenic wrote:
Robert wrote:I hope you agree concerts are held for the people in attendance, the fans.
That pretty much says it.

Soundboards are a way of bringing Elvis into your home. The original sound of the concert -- as it pertains to the music -- should be preserved. And that means adding reverb.

But ekenee still has a valid point: sound is subjective. Even subtle differences can be felt in a big way. The mixing and mastering of a concert, even if the aim is to emulate the sound in a venue as heard by an audience member, is still loaded with variables.
For the record I pmed ekenee the file and without going into specifics all that I can say is that still has same view but my file does not fall in the category of using effects to mask the recording. What I did did not detract but add to the recording in a positive way. I will PM file to those that have not heard.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

Robert wrote: Geezz.. don't make things too difficult here.
Sounding to first aid people outside the building? Joe Guercio in the back of the stage? Roadies during the sound check...?

Thanks for taking my comments totally out of context. I was making a point about the subjectiveness of sound, not on JBGL''s production.
If you had read the rest of my posts you would have noticed that.
And for the record, I think he did a good job on it.
And to repeat what I said, you basically have to be careful when tampering with the sound because it is not always successful to everyone's ears. There are various releases that some fans just love the sound, and I can't even listen to it. And the fact that many bootlegs sound better than BMG releases. Some of the time, this is due to poor post production skills of the person in charge. Again it is subjective.

Robert

Post by Robert »

ekenee wrote: I was making a point about the subjectiveness of sound.
Fair enough.. you are right about that.
There's no way to please everybody as far as soundquality issues go..

Cheers, RJ

elbo51

Post by elbo51 »

Thanks for the file JLGB. You did a nice job adding ambience to the COS version. Have a look at my comments too about this track in the thread about the Unchained Melody sound problem.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

elbo51 wrote:Thanks for the file JLGB. You did a nice job adding ambience to the COS version. Have a look at my comments too about this track in the thread about the Unchained Melody sound problem.
And EQ etc..glad you liked it.

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Adding stereo reverb to a mono recording is certainly not an ideal scenario. One thing to consider also is the fidelity of the recording. Take the DAE releases of 1969 and 1971 material compared to Old Times They Are Not Forgotten. The fidelity of the reverb effect itself is the same on all releases. It works better on OTTANF because the soundboard itself is extremely clear. It is out of place on the 1969 and 1971 soundboards because the fidelity of the original recordings are poor in comparison.

In conclusion I prefer soundboards to be released without added spatial effects. Stereo multi-tracks on the other hand are designed for post production including subtle use of reverb.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Matthew wrote:Adding stereo reverb to a mono recording is certainly not an ideal scenario. One thing to consider also is the fidelity of the recording. Take the DAE releases of 1969 and 1971 material compared to Old Times They Are Not Forgotten. The fidelity of the reverb effect itself is the same on all releases. It works better on OTTANF because the soundboard itself is extremely clear. It is out of place on the 1969 and 1971 soundboards because the fidelity of the original recordings are poor in comparison.

In conclusion I prefer soundboards to be released without added spatial effects. Stereo multi-tracks on the other hand are designed for post production including subtle use of reverb.
And soundboards were not designed for release at all. Did not add stereo reverb for the record itf it sounds that way it is because of the recording. Which is 2 channel. I hope you have heard the source recording before making judgement. Then someone did the same (judged before) and thought the PM I sent him was good and thought it was the FTD! I was flattered by his mistake especially because I do not have FTD and have no idea how it sounds except by reading here. :) PS. someone pmed me telling me the reverb was subtle that I added. But then, there is no subtleness meter! :lol:

Topic author
Juan Luis

WNOSA

Post by Juan Luis »

Last edited by Juan Luis on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

JLGB - I was not commenting on your track, I was referring to soundboard recordings generally.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Matthew wrote:JLGB - I was not commenting on your track, I was referring to soundboard recordings generally.
:shock: ..I knew that! :lol:

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

JLGB wrote:
Matthew wrote:JLGB - I was not commenting on your track, I was referring to soundboard recordings generally.
:shock: ..I knew that! :lol:
8)

TONY

Post by TONY »

ekenee wrote:
Can you imagine how much more the 61 Hawaii show could be enjoyed had it been recorded properly? And that show is awesome as it is.
EXACTLY the same can be said of "Live on stage in Memphis"!! (Apart from it was recorded properly, but poorly messed with on FTD)!
Last edited by TONY on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TONY

Post by TONY »

Cryogenic wrote: Check out "Double Features" version of "Viva Las Vegas" (e.g. "Night Life") ... then listen to the FTD version. The latter is MUCH better (less is more).
This applies to the WHOLE of the "VLV" soundtrack. Before the FTD release, the VLV songs always sounded awful!

Topic author

Post by Guest »

Just managed to get the file JLGB.

Great job, really brings an obviously inspired Elvis and this song, to life.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Lew Nyack wrote:Just managed to get the file JLGB.

Great job, really brings an obviously inspired Elvis and this song, to life.
Thank you sir! :)

Jamie

great surprise

Post by Jamie »

JLGB,

many thanks for this. Really great to have, very moving. Out of breath at the end as he often was in 77' but still great soul and passion.

cheers Jamie

Gator's got me Granny.

paulsweeney

Post by paulsweeney »

Fantastic JLGB - Where No One Stands Alone from February 16, 1977 has always been a favourite of mine, and you have made it sound even better to my ears than on Moody Blue &...too bad it wasn't like this on FTD's Unchained Melody 8)
Last edited by paulsweeney on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadringer

Post by deadringer »

Listening the CD for the first time really carefully from beginning to the end using quality headphones, I can tell you right away:

1. The problem with WHERE NO ONE STANDS ALONE is DEFINITELY artificial, in other words it was NOT on the tape. It happened during mastering.

2. There are also other errors (small "electric clicks") on the discs here and there, even in LOVE ME. All very small, but noticeable anyway.

Advice: dear FTD say "Thanks for your work but good bye" to that Reidel-devastator, create brand new master and press the discs once again, asap. And replace it to all fans who already bought it - free of charge.

... which will never happen, because Ernst once said "It was recorded badly".

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

tony wrote: EXACTLY the same can be said of "Live on stage in Memphis"!! (Apart from it was recorded properly, but poorly messed with on FTD)!

yes I agree, that's another one botched. And if you recall it wasn't the complete show because they edited some dialogue out!

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Thanks Paul and Jamie.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.