All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:03 am

Robert wrote:
JLGB wrote:
elvisjock wrote:The "new" version really sounds terrific. Thank you JLGB.

Remember that old commercial that said, "Everything's better with Blue Bonnet on it?" I believe the same applies to reverb, used properly. Many collectors agree that, from a technical standpoint, Old Times Are Not Forgotten, Holding Back The Years and Let Me Take You Home are superior soundboard releases. The added reverb is a big reason.
with reconsider baby I have it without..it as well...Less is better or none at all if it does not sound flat.

Are you working on a new link...?
Did you use the FTD source or FB for Reconsider Baby?

I think FB sounds better...

Cheers, RJ
Yes but it looks like it has BBE or some bad processing that makes it hard to improve without making it shrill or thin up top and bad BUT I will have something better in a few hours cause the rest of it sounds great....

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:33 am

I keep getting file blocked!!

Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:34 am

Yes, it still says "file blocked"....I hope not too much longer, as I can't wait to hear what everyone seems to be enjoying! :lol:

Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:15 am

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... F03F2E342D

Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:04 am

elvisjock wrote:The "new" version really sounds terrific. Thank you JLGB.

Remember that old commercial that said, "Everything's better with Blue Bonnet on it?" I believe the same applies to reverb, used properly. Many collectors agree that, from a technical standpoint, Old Times Are Not Forgotten, Holding Back The Years and Let Me Take You Home are superior soundboard releases. The added reverb is a big reason.

I actually disagree, I'd rather have the uncompromised source as a recording (just fixed up minimally to remove any flaws), so I can enjoy the sound imaging as present on the original recording.

The enhancement (to add spatial qualities, etc.) should always take place on the playback equipment and not applied to the source. Ten years from now there'll be new matrix surround modes to make such recordings sound even better in our home systems, but because the reverb is encoded directly on the DAE releases the damage is done and cannot be reversed!

People are usually all up in arms when they hear it for the first time, but history has shown that these types of overbearing processing usually do not stand the test of time (just think about "The Memphis Record"). Adding excessive reverb and compression is something that kills the music, while the goal should be to preserve the original imaging.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:47 am

Yeah.

They need to be careful about adding reverb and any post-processing work they do.

Here's a revelation: I actually find "That's The Way It Is" (DVD) hard to listen to. Why? Because Elvis' vocals are so ... dry. I appreciate the closeness of the sound, giving you a better sense of being close to the stage and close to Elvis, in that tight Vegas lounge setting, but it doesn't sound very flattering. Although Elvis was in better voice in 1970, he sounds much better to my ears in "Aloha From Hawaii" in 1973 -- because of the lovely reverb. Though he also sounds slightly impersonal in that latter setting for the same reason. Swings and roundabouts...

Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:49 am

The thing is about sound is that it is so subjective. We all have different preferences and so forth.

A particular performance of a song has unlimited possibilities of how it can sound depending on how it was recorded.

Soundboard sound

Multi-track sound

Auditorium sound

As Elvis said on many occasions, "the sound we hear on stage is different than what you hear out there."

The soundboard sound is usually a very 2 dementional flat sound, which would not be what the people heard in the auditorium. So trying to fix that does take some real skill.

Alot of you have various bootlegs and the sound is as-is on the tape, as apposed to the finished produced sound of a label release in many cases. I am on the fence on this one, since I do like to hear un-tweaked versions of performances. But on the other hand, if the "fix" doesn't sound too artificial I am all for it. I have heard various performances where Elvis' voice sounds thin, but with the proper work, his voice has the depth it should have.

Bottomline is the correct sound can make or break a performance in many cases.

Can you imagine how much more the 61 Hawaii show could be enjoyed had it been recorded properly? And that show is awesome as it is.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:05 am

ekenee wrote: Can you imagine how much more the 61 Hawaii show could be enjoyed had it been recorded properly? And that show is awesome as it is.

True!

All of what you said is very true.

I think some sweetening of the sound is ESSENTIAL in most cases. Remember: Even the best recorded concerts today still don't sound as good as being there. Yet with Elvis, we're not only dealing with stuff that is 30 years old (at best), but often stuff recorded in less than favourable conditions to begin with. It's incumbent upon engineers of all kinds to make the best choices whenever and wherever they can. A good example here is the newly-released Ed Sullvian shows. The LiveFeed Video process naturally entails a sweetening of the picture. But it's a clever sweetening. With the right people bringing the right techniques to sound, it's almost guaranteed that inferior sources are going to be enhanced in some way: the right way.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:01 am

A soundboard was never ever used with intention of releasing to public. So I disagree 100000000% with anyone that wants the original for ENJOYMENT. It should be preserbved without the tampering BUT if it is to be released for enjoyment as in a possibly "new" single you bet your bottom dollar it will flop as is. Don't worry it is preserved forever on the release Coming On Strong. Elvis sang that song with reverb plus the room it was recorded and to apreciate that you have to try to recreate a bit of how it sounded then. There is not 1 percent of extra echo or one percent of lack of it...simply perfect...IMO of course and the beauty of Elvis ' voice was showcased NOT BURIED in crappy tasteless over the top reverb etc.....Name one single Elvis recording with that dynamic range...it really sounds live! I am proud of this and happy that it was accepted by my peers and friends here. Thank you Elvis.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:29 am

It's amazing what work there is still to be done in preserving Elvis' legacy.

It's exciting.

There are still treasures to be found and still treasures waiting to be restored anew.

JLGB... I am back on cheap headphones at the mo (have been for the last few weeks). So I can't hear every last bit of detail. And the SRS WOW effect is probably saving my ass. It might sound horrible on a good system. But I'm thinking of running it through that filter and re-recording it for you. Just so you can hear what I'm hearing (and yet not, given the vast equipment differences). Stay tuned.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:39 am

It sounds good with my high end system and computer,car, ipod, :D

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:42 am

JLGB wrote: So I disagree 100000000% with anyone that wants the original for ENJOYMENT. It should be preserbved without the tampering BUT if it is to be released for enjoyment as in a possibly "new" single you bet your bottom dollar it will flop as is. Don't worry it is preserved forever on the release Coming On Strong. Elvis sang that song with reverb plus the room it was recorded and to apreciate that you have to try to recreate a bit of how it sounded then.

Sounded to who? The band, Elvis, The audience in the 50th row. the first row? The sound engineers?
That is part of what I meant by sound being subjective. It is and always will be.
That is why many of us disagree on the various mixes of releases.
So you are saying that for anything to be enjoyed it must be tampered with. What if Elvis sang 'where no one stands alone' on an acoustic piano without a mic, right in front of you in the living room? Or would you rather hear a tampered recording of this event, with added reverb and room ambience? I know what my choice would be.
All the tampering is not natural. And alot of it makes the recording sound horrible, but as previously stated, some people will love it.

Just for record I haven't heard your enhanced version since every time I try it, it says, 'file not available'. So I can't comment on your tweaking of the recording in this case.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:29 am

ekenee wrote:JLGB wrote: So I disagree 100000000% with anyone that wants the original for ENJOYMENT. It should be preserbved without the tampering BUT if it is to be released for enjoyment as in a possibly "new" single you bet your bottom dollar it will flop as is. Don't worry it is preserved forever on the release Coming On Strong. Elvis sang that song with reverb plus the room it was recorded and to apreciate that you have to try to recreate a bit of how it sounded then.

Sounded to who? The band, Elvis, The audience in the 50th row. the first row? The sound engineers?
That is part of what I meant by sound being subjective. It is and always will be.
That is why many of us disagree on the various mixes of releases.
So you are saying that for anything to be enjoyed it must be tampered with. What if Elvis sang 'where no one stands alone' on an acoustic piano without a mic, right in front of you in the living room? Or would you rather hear a tampered recording of this event, with added reverb and room ambience? I know what my choice would be.
All the tampering is not natural.
Tampering has been done on every Elvis live release! It is also called post production!!! So if a sound engineer has a head cold or whatever and does a lousy mix (which has to be done to be able to be marketed) another sound guy could improve it..that would be second instance of tampering......anyway Elvis will sound better with reverb on his vocals because Elvis himself sang while hearing his voice reverberate!!! So it ism unnatural to hear his voice that was controlled by his BRAIN to perform with the created and natural effect of the room with the effects taken out or not recorded in the first place as on majority of soundboards.. Just the oipposite if Elvis sang in a closet his voice would have been controlled by his brain to sing softer or louder to fit better etc...Goes without saying to listen without adding to the recording cause the recording should have everything in it and your room close to dead sounding because audiophiles especially do not want to have the room sound(your room) get in the way of the recording. In other words your room for music should prety much acoustically be ABSENT. SAM PHILLIPS 1ST ELVIS TAMPERER! :lol: Lets get that echo out of those SUNS! They sound funny boy!!!! :lol: :lol:

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:34 am

The human voice naturally sounds better with reverb on it.

Hence the old conceit of people thinking they sound good in a shower.

:lol:

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:00 am

Cryogenic wrote:The human voice naturally sounds better with reverb on it.

Hence the old conceit of people thinking they sound good in a shower.

:lol:
Best thing I have heard tonight! :lol: .....Listen to Elvis on EOT film with separate ways you hear camera(I think) microphone pickup his voice sounding natural soft and WA LA!! When you get sound feed with reverb!! I'TS ALIVE!! :shock: :shock: :lol: PS. Soundboards that are dry lifeless would/should sound great if played back in original concert venue! Just a very expensive thought..cause you would have to fill it to be accurate! :)
Last edited by Juan Luis on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:00 am

JLGB wrote:http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=9D870EF03F2E342D

Damn, I keep getting the "File unavailable" .... :cry:

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:14 am

Check mPM

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:20 am

Quote: Tampering has been done on every Elvis live release!

Not true of all bootlegs. I don't see Sam Phillips as a tamperer, but rather a sound engineer.

Bare in mind I agree with most of what you are saying in previous posts but there exceptions to the rule. There are many instances in which the tampering or post production or tweaking or whatever you want to call it, is not an improvement over what was already there. Sometimes when you try to cover imperfections in sound you end up covering some of the music. Perhaps it is also the skill of the person doing the tweaking, where as BMG has some people that don't have the skills needed in some cases.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:23 am

Ok! Glad to know you know what I meant in general. And yes live release was meant RCA/BMG.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:30 am

Tamperer/engineer

I think JLGB's use of the word was somewhat ... metonymic. I got what he meant.

Yes: Reverb, like anything, can be done to excess. Check out "Double Features" version of "Viva Las Vegas" (e.g. "Night Life") ... then listen to the FTD version. The latter is MUCH better (less is more).

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:27 pm

Cryogenic wrote:Tamperer/engineer

I think JLGB's use of the word was somewhat ... metonymic. I got what he meant.

Yes: Reverb, like anything, can be done to excess. Check out "Double Features" version of "Viva Las Vegas" (e.g. "Night Life") ... then listen to the FTD version. The latter is MUCH better (less is more).
I am not looking that word up Cryogenic! But If it means I use tamperer in aironic,light,serious, way ...then I used it metonymically!! :lol:

Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:33 am

For some reason I keep getting the "file blocked" message too.

Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:36 am

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... E328681E99

Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:52 am

This file is blocked & unavailable too. What gives?

Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:51 pm

elbo51 wrote:This file is blocked & unavailable too. What gives?

I know. :( All of them are blocked.