Where No One Stands Alone

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Here we go again with this "File is Blocked" message ... :cry:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

You have it minkahead
Last edited by Juan Luis on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author

Post by Guest »

It is simply awesome! It beats BMG by a quarter of a mile. Fort Baxter has always been known for their high quality soundboards. Southern Style just has an even better way to make the best out of something good. Elvis sings "Where No One Stands Alone" ( Montgomery, February 16, 1977) for the first and the last time ever. This song has also been released before, but it sounds better on Coming On Strong. The result is amazing!

Jamie

software

Post by Jamie »

JLGB,

how did you do this? Do you have some special software? I did a beginners sound recording course about a year ago to support the band my wife is in but unfortunately missed the last 3 to 4 classes when mastering was covered. I seem to recall something called Pro tools? I'd love to know how you go about this as presumably with time and effort it would be possible to improve some of the other flat sounding soundboards - some of the Vegas FTD's spring to mind.

cheers Jamie

Gator's got me Granny.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: software

Post by Juan Luis »

Jamie wrote:JLGB,

how did you do this? Do you have some special software? I did a beginners sound recording course about a year ago to support the band my wife is in but unfortunately missed the last 3 to 4 classes when mastering was covered. I seem to recall something called Pro tools? I'd love to know how you go about this as presumably with time and effort it would be possible to improve some of the other flat sounding soundboards - some of the Vegas FTD's spring to mind.

cheers Jamie
Adobe Audition 2.0 + plug-ins and some I cannot remember (not at home now) ,Cubase etc.. Lots of patience ... . Feel free to PM me for specifics and not bore some people. :) http://www.iofilm.co.uk/io/mit/001/adobe_production_studio_adobe_audition_2.0.php

deadringer

Post by deadringer »

Jamie wrote:JLGB,

cheers Jamie
It can be corrected with some effort using various software. But it was Lene Reidels job, she was paid for this. And she created piece of s**t.

As I suggested before... if this error is not a reason to ask FTD for new pressing-replacement free of charge, then how big mastering error we need to justify the replacement? Imagine that you will buy new CD with lets say Madonna, and there will be obvious mastering error. You will live with it?

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

deadringer wrote:It can be corrected with some effort using various software. But it was Lene Reidels job, she was paid for this. And she created piece of s**t.
She sure did with this one track. Very amateur mistake by the FTD team on a CD which is generally surprisingly good (don't tell Lex I said that :wink: )

The rest seems good sound to me

Jamie

audio

Post by Jamie »

thanks JLGB and deadringer. I don't have the CD yet but I would agree that if there is a obvious error in production the CD should be replaced free of charge. This happened with the So High CD and this sounds like it's just as bad judging by the critiques on here.

cheers Jamie

Gator's got me Granny.

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Re: audio

Post by BigredG »

Jamie wrote:thanks JLGB and deadringer. I don't have the CD yet but I would agree that if there is a obvious error in production the CD should be replaced free of charge. This happened with the So High CD and this sounds like it's just as bad judging by the critiques on here.

cheers Jamie
I think it is worse than So High - just my opinion.

elbo51

Re: audio

Post by elbo51 »

BIGREDG wrote:
Jamie wrote:thanks JLGB and deadringer. I don't have the CD yet but I would agree that if there is a obvious error in production the CD should be replaced free of charge. This happened with the So High CD and this sounds like it's just as bad judging by the critiques on here.

cheers Jamie
I think it is worse than So High - just my opinion.
:smt045

TONY

DEALER

Post by TONY »

If we all return them to our dealer(s), something may be done perhaps.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

For the record again..did not post song (or this thread
) to go after FTD and was as surprised as everyone of the "error(s)".... and I still have not heard this particular release or the last 3 because I wait for them to pile up. More fun for me! :lol:

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

Lennon/McCartney wrote:It is simply awesome! It beats BMG by a quarter of a mile. Fort Baxter has always been known for their high quality soundboards. Southern Style just has an even better way to make the best out of something good. Elvis sings "Where No One Stands Alone" ( Montgomery, February 16, 1977) for the first and the last time ever. This song has also been released before, but it sounds better on Coming On Strong. The result is amazing!
I'm personally not a big fan of the "Southern Style" enhancement, I think this track sounds just fine (and more balanced) on the original Fort Baxter "Moody Blue and other great performances" release (which, after all, is the unprocessed source). I have not heard the new FTD release yet, but judging from what they did with "Spring Tours" (which was over-EQ'd) it's unlikely that "Unchained melody" will top the 12-year old Fort Baxter release! I'm still amazed how bad the official "Elvis in concert" disc sounds in comparison to other 1977 soundboards. This is the recording that really needs to be cleaned up and mastered from the original tapes (and not the horrible LP production master). With the 30th anniversary of these shows coming up perhaps that's something they might be considering, who knows?

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

thenexte wrote:
Lennon/McCartney wrote:It is simply awesome! It beats BMG by a quarter of a mile. Fort Baxter has always been known for their high quality soundboards. Southern Style just has an even better way to make the best out of something good. Elvis sings "Where No One Stands Alone" ( Montgomery, February 16, 1977) for the first and the last time ever. This song has also been released before, but it sounds better on Coming On Strong. The result is amazing!
I'm personally not a big fan of the "Southern Style" enhancement, I think this track sounds just fine (and more balanced) on the original Fort Baxter "Moody Blue and other great performances" release (which, after all, is the unprocessed source). I have not heard the new FTD release yet, but judging from what they did with "Spring Tours" (which was over-EQ'd) it's unlikely that "Unchained melody" will top the 12-year old Fort Baxter release! I'm still amazed how bad the official "Elvis in concert" disc sounds in comparison to other 1977 soundboards. This is the recording that really needs to be cleaned up and mastered from the original tapes (and not the horrible LP production master). With the 30th anniversary of these shows coming up perhaps that's something they might be considering?
You got it backwards IMo with Moody Blue and great performances..that CD is processed to death..I know trying to make Reconsider Baby(sound better) took me a week but I finally did it...anyway the coming On Strong has little or no processing... FB might have BBE or something lol!!
Last edited by Juan Luis on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ray

Post by Ray »

thenext wrote:
I'm personally not a big fan of the "Southern Style" enhancement, I think this track sounds just fine (and more balanced) on the original Fort Baxter "Moody Blue and other great performances" release (which, after all, is the unprocessed source).
I believe you may well be incorrect, the Fort Baxter (Moody Blue & Other Great Performances) release has echo/reverb, the Southern Style (Coming On Strong) is free of echo/reverb....which is not the Fort Baxter release source reprocessed.

Ray

" Do you know anything about him ?
Do I know anything about him ?
I was raised in his home town

Are you going to be saying something to him, are you going to talk to him ?
Well that just all do depends
Are you looking forward to seeing him ?
Sure
Why don't you show us where he comes in here
He's coming through this door here, there's two doors in this entrance
he comes through this door here in this entrance and then open it back like this
then this one the other door comes back like this.
"

Jamie

still playing it

Post by Jamie »

I'm still playing this song. I dug out the original last night and was surprised how faithful the 77 version is. Completely different vocally in terms of range and feel but I certainly got the impression that this is one song Elvis often re-visited at home. I can't tell from the Montgomery version whether the Stamps were totally familiar with it as they don't start backing until near the end and Elvis has to point out the repeat ending. That got me wondering whether EP and the Stamps still had time on tour to sit around and sing gospel stuff or whether that was no longer the case. I suspect they no longer rehersed before the tour but I guess where they were i the same place for two concerts they may have shared some quality time. Any thoughts?

Once again, I am really pleasently surprised by this song. Elvis had so much soul. It leaves me feeling elated and sad at the same time. If only something or someone could have snapped him out of his depression. With a new manager and quality writers he could have goe on to produce some of the greatest gospel/blues/R&B music. Alas...Still, a great memory. Just going to play it again!.
cheers Jamie

Gator's got me Granny.

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

Ray wrote:thenext wrote:
I'm personally not a big fan of the "Southern Style" enhancement, I think this track sounds just fine (and more balanced) on the original Fort Baxter "Moody Blue and other great performances" release (which, after all, is the unprocessed source).
I believe you may well be incorrect, the Fort Baxter (Moody Blue & Other Great Performances) release has echo/reverb, the Southern Style (Coming On Strong) is free of echo/reverb....which is not the Fort Baxter release source reprocessed.
Ray, I think you are right, I analyzed this again and found that these are actually two different sources. FB uses a mono source with added reverb, while SS uses a binaural source with (I would assume) no reverb added, just using the reverb inherent in the binaural source. In terms of overall tonality however I do prefer FB over SS, as the latter sounds a bit too dry to me.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: still playing it

Post by Juan Luis »

Jamie wrote:I'm still playing this song. I dug out the original last night and was surprised how faithful the 77 version is. Completely different vocally in terms of range and feel but I certainly got the impression that this is one song Elvis often re-visited at home. I can't tell from the Montgomery version whether the Stamps were totally familiar with it as they don't start backing until near the end and Elvis has to point out the repeat ending. That got me wondering whether EP and the Stamps still had time on tour to sit around and sing gospel stuff or whether that was no longer the case. I suspect they no longer rehersed before the tour but I guess where they were i the same place for two concerts they may have shared some quality time. Any thoughts?

Once again, I am really pleasently surprised by this song. Elvis had so much soul. It leaves me feeling elated and sad at the same time. If only something or someone could have snapped him out of his depression. With a new manager and quality writers he could have goe on to produce some of the greatest gospel/blues/R&B music. Alas...Still, a great memory. Just going to play it again!.
cheers Jamie
Elvis sang it in the same key..I placed Elvis original on one track and the live performance(on another) and played together and in an instance or two BOTH voices matched perfectly and beautifully . Thank you for posting out here and also to those that pmed me. Later...

Topic author

Post by Guest »

JLGB, in light of your excellent work on this recording maybe you could perform some of your magic on another elvis at the piano recording - youll never walk alone in 1975? Just a suggestion :lol:

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

hi heel sneakers wrote:JLGB, in light of your excellent work on this recording maybe you could perform some of your magic on another elvis at the piano recording - youll never walk alone in 1975? Just a suggestion :lol:
It ain't magic! I wish it were though..just relaxing and listening. :lol: heres younger ep on one side and the older on the other..very short snippet. http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=C87F7FBA0D1BFF21

Topic author

Post by Guest »

cool