All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

PRE 1995 rarities and audiophile gems

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:46 am

Found new gem BAXTER 1991 release!! Report back with a file.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:55 am

I did a mistake, giving away the 10 track Golden Records Vol 5 CD as I got the extended one, thinking it would be the same. It wasn't! Luckily I have my mint LP from which I made a CDR copy and yes, that album is something special regarding the mix!

Re: Original AMERICAN CD releases mastered by Dick Baxter

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:59 am

ElvisInNorway wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:.....having opted for LP's back then. off the top of my head, I think original mid-80s"Golden Records Vol. 5" is one of the few that still sounds interesting, as I recall for having mixes available nowhere else...

Hello!

The original LP and the american CD version of this album have excellent mixes of songs like 'Way Down', 'Moody Blue' and 'If You Talk In Your Sleep'. They are miles better than the original mixes in my point of view! I was very disappointet when the europen bonus version of this CD came out, using the original mixes!

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/golden5.html

Regards

Really? You are saying all ten tracks on the original 1997 release of "Gold Records. Vol. 5" are remixes that later never resurfaced? If that is the case then this is definitely worth checking out. Are there any other treasures like this one that contain new mixes? 1985's "A Valentine's Gift for you" comes to mind...
Last edited by thenexte on Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:06 am

Reviewing my collection I noticed another, For The Asking - The Lost Album. A classic in its own right the mastering on this disc is fantastic.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:08 am

Matthew wrote:Reviewing my collection I noticed another, For The Asking - The Lost Album. A classic in its own right the mastering on this disc is fantastic.

But these tracks are identical to the same tracks as released on the 60's box set, or are they not?

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:12 am

thenexte wrote:
Matthew wrote:Reviewing my collection I noticed another, For The Asking - The Lost Album. A classic in its own right the mastering on this disc is fantastic.

But these tracks are identical to the same tracks as released on the 60's box set, or are they not?

For The Asking predates the 60s box set by 3 years.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:21 am

thenexte wrote:
Really? You are saying all ten tracks on the original 1997 release of "Gold Records. Vol. 5" are remixes that later never resurfaced? ...

No, he means the '80's original cd of Vol. 5. :D

listen to the hisss

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:32 am

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... BA0FCBD0FE 1991 Baxter! I have not touched a thing including WOW! The BASS ...thenexte..Iwas right about the BASS!!!

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:34 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
thenexte wrote:
Really? You are saying all ten tracks on the original 1997 release of "Gold Records. Vol. 5" are remixes that later never resurfaced? ...

Sorry, yes that's what I meant, the original 1985 release of this CD (which was later reisssued with bonus tracks in 1997). I will start hunting that one down now, I do remember it had pretty good sound, but just like everyone else back then I fell under the spell that the newer editions had to have better sound and discarded the old ones. I'm particularly interested in hearing the mixes of the 1969 material on this one... ;-)

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:39 am

ElvisInNorway wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:.....having opted for LP's back then. off the top of my head, I think original mid-80s"Golden Records Vol. 5" is one of the few that still sounds interesting, as I recall for having mixes available nowhere else...

Hello!

The original LP and the american CD version of this album have excellent mixes of songs like 'Way Down', 'Moody Blue' and 'If You Talk In Your Sleep'. They are miles better than the original mixes in my point of view! I was very disappointet when the europen bonus version of this CD came out, using the original mixes!

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/golden5.html

Regards

I Agree, good cd(original issue).

JEFF d
EAP fan

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:28 pm

thenexte wrote:Really? You are saying all ten tracks on the original 1997 release of "Gold Records. Vol. 5" are remixes that later never resurfaced? If that is the case then this is definitely worth checking out. Are there any other treasures like this one that contain new mixes? 1985's "A Valentine's Gift for you" comes to mind...

I am aware that the original issue of Elvis' Gold Records Volume 5 was entirely re-mixed... not sure why but what else is new with RCA??? I have listened to both my LP and CD and the mixes are identical... as I'm sure you are also aware. You mention that A Valentine's Gift for You has remixes... are they all remixed or just certain songs? I would be interested in knowing as I do not have this CD. Thanks.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:52 pm

A valentines is Rick Rowe a la Memphis record but not noticieable remixes..nNot good.The Vol 5 Gold is interesting with Way Down and Moody Blue would be great (has different strings or more) BUT the background voices upfront sounding terrible. Vol 5 also has IF you Talk In your Sleep interesting disco strings type mix and Elvis laughing at the end is heard loud.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:21 pm

Very interesting post JLGB; as I have all the original Dick Baxter cd's I will have to check this out. Luckily I have not got rid of my originals when bought the reissued updates and in some cases I did not even buy the updates except for the Promised Land Reissue that included the much better sounding "If That Isn't Love". I will keep watching this post to see what all develops.

AUSTRALI*A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:21 pm

Thanks Deke. I think with all your input this will be a much longer,permanent thread. and I hope and PROMOTE that plenty of side threads come out of here so we can concentrate on specifics ..........................business at hand...A Gem from Australia (date very early 80s?) no compression or noise reduction TME (to my ears) BPCD 5076 here is ITG http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 053AEF781D Ps. this is a find! But will show from now on by putting my excitement only on the subject post. :)
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:48 am

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 7E2E00D488

Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:51 am

Why is every file blocked?

Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:08 am

Good question! That happens occasionally, and good ol' JL is always happy to fix it. Can you do it for this latest one, JLGB?

thenexte wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
thenexte wrote:

Sorry, yes that's what I meant, the original 1985 release of this CD (which was later reisssued with bonus tracks in 1997). I will start hunting that one down now, I do remember it had pretty good sound, but just like everyone else back then I fell under the spell that the newer editions had to have better sound and discarded the old ones. I'm particularly interested in hearing the mixes of the 1969 material on this one... ;-)

This older thread on this same subject prompted me to track down a copy in the last year:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=

Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:26 am

:)
Last edited by Juan Luis on Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:12 pm

Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:48 pm

Thanks for posting everyone. http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 43026AC772

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:29 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
JLGB wrote:Hopefully we can make an interesting thread because it will surprise you that CDs that sounded so so or awful sound pretty good today because our playback equipment and D/A converters are much better and despite older equipment..a lot of old CDs were really mastered with great care.

This seems like a stretch, JLGB! Slow news day? Seriously, I have eventually acquired most of the Elvis '80s CDs, having opted for LP's back then. off the top of my head, I think original mid-80s"Golden Records Vol. 5" is one of the few that still sounds interesting, as I recall for having mixes available nowhere else...

But I bow to you in your audio expertise if you know what the truth is. It just seems like a hard sell.

I still have my copy of the "Elvis' Gold Records, Vol. 5" CD. I thought the mixes were better than the '97 re-release (with extra tracks). My only gripe at the time was that it had only ten songs. Too bad they didn't use the same people (who handled the mix on the "GRV5" CD) to handle the mixes on the 1985 "Always On My Mind" album.

Tom (from Ohio)

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:28 pm

hounddawgs6499 wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
JLGB wrote:Hopefully we can make an interesting thread because it will surprise you that CDs that sounded so so or awful sound pretty good today because our playback equipment and D/A converters are much better and despite older equipment..a lot of old CDs were really mastered with great care.

This seems like a stretch, JLGB! Slow news day? Seriously, I have eventually acquired most of the Elvis '80s CDs, having opted for LP's back then. off the top of my head, I think original mid-80s"Golden Records Vol. 5" is one of the few that still sounds interesting, as I recall for having mixes available nowhere else...

But I bow to you in your audio expertise if you know what the truth is. It just seems like a hard sell.

I still have my copy of the "Elvis' Gold Records, Vol. 5" CD. I thought the mixes were better than the '97 re-release (with extra tracks).
Agree. No apparent thought was taken to the fact that in fact Gold Records 5 had its own sound. But that can be forgiven because the intention of using newer remasters or whatever was to improve the sound of released hits! As long as they do not do that with other compilations(Camdens for example) when the tracks themselves we can compile from our collections..not because of the tracks BUT BECAUSE OF THEIR INDIUVIDUALS SOUNDS MIXES ETC that made them unique in their own light (maybe even crappy :lol: ) way! Memories... :)

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:39 am

Actually I just got a copy of this one, remix engineer was Dick Bogert and the music was mastered by Richard Simpson. It seems this is the same team that worked on a number of releases in the 80's, incl. the EAP box set, and things like "Memories of Christmas". Very unique sound, and while it does not exhibit the same clarity in the vocals that can be achieved with today's mastering, there is more of an emphasis towards the beat. Both "Suspicious minds" and "Burning love" are outstanding mixes (they reversed the L-R channels on "In the ghetto" however, what's up with that?)

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:16 am

thenexte wrote:Actually I just got a copy of this one, remix engineer was Dick Bogert and the music was mastered by Richard Simpson. It seems this is the same team that worked on a number of releases in the 80's, incl. the EAP box set, and things like "Memories of Christmas". Very unique sound, and while it does not exhibit the same clarity in the vocals that can be achieved with today's mastering, there is more of an emphasis towards the beat. Both "Suspicious minds" and "Burning love" are outstanding mixes (they reversed the L-R channels on "In the ghetto" however, what's up with that?)
Plenty of mistakes like that on Beatle records. That is one easy fix or just rewire your speakers to listen to that one song :lol: !

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:17 am

Stan from Tintane wrote:and not forgetting this release was the first time kentucky rain had been heard in stereo
Thanks for that info! 8) ....Had forgotten that one!