All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:53 am

Keith - Everytime you need an oxygen mask, you seem to mismatch names with events, forget to debate based on facts...etc

Keith F wrote:Oh, and by the way - It IS Ernst who has the last say on what is and what is not released on FTD!

Though Ernst is mainly responsible for the audio element, a FTD decission is not only based on what is going to be released, but also about IF and against which costs, etc. When there is no business case there is simpy no financial support - period.

Keith F wrote:Believe you me!

Try harder next time.

Matthew wrote:Your continued reference to poor movie songs in the argument against releasing whole sessions is a little off the mark. The release in question in this thread is His Hand In Mine, a seminal gospel music session.

I don't think so, the question is this thread is very specific:

My question is this - How many of you would like to see the full sessions released by FTD, if disc space permits them to do so?

Therefore , my reference to poor movie songs is an example of what may be included if a complete movie session will be released.

Matthew wrote:Should FTD release complete sessions? Not in all cases. In the case of His Hand In Mine I am sure most would argue a few extra minutes of music from this phenomenal album would not have degraded the release. As it stands it is still a fantastic effort in the definition of the Classic Album series concept.

fully agreed.

Matthew wrote: You will note my earier post was in regards to FTD, not RCA, BMG, or Sony. Ernst has the final say.

Matthew, though Ernst and his team have a great deal of flexibility, it's Joe DiMuro who is responsible for Elvis' music catalog.
Last edited by E-Cat on Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:22 am

Is that still the case, E-Cat? I could have sworn I read here recently that he's been shown the door at Sony/BMG....But can't find any evidence of it.

My wild imagination..... :lol:

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:11 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Is that still the case, E-Cat? I could have sworn I read here recently that he's been shown the door at Sony/BMG....But can't find any evidence of it. My wild imagination..... :lol:

Though Joe is now also in charge of Burgundy Records (Chaka Khan, Aaron Neville and Donna Summer signed up last year as well..) he is still the Executive Vice President of Sony BMG Strategic Marketing Group.

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:52 pm

Kieth wrote:

If Ernst thinks the market is there to release full sessions I think he may change his ideas!

Yeah as if us Elvis fanatics are not going to buy complete sessions.

You know we will. I hope Ernst starts doing this. It is time.

The time is right for this, since the bootlegger is trying to scoop BMG with the American way series.

I bet if Ernst would release the 1969 sessions in complete form, thebootlegger would be halted in his tracks.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:13 am

Keith,
I am one of those that wants the COMPLETE session. I want it all...chitter chatter included.....no edits of any of Elvis speech or comments whether they are considered negative or positive....especially when there is time left on the disc. I think you are right on track with you critiques on the subject matter and I hope Ernst and company will continue to listen to fans such as us.

Thanks for starting one of the best posts regarding what counts! The MUSIC and LEGACY of ELVIS.

complete sessions

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:48 am

.... "Complete" 69 Memphis Sessions on future FTDs?

Have you listened to the Only The Strong Survive Session recently,

ekenee? And you exspect them to release the takes, where

halfway through he delivers the lines such as "slimey c*cksucker",

and other explicit under the belt references? Dont think so!

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:05 pm

Matthew...Should FTD release complete sessions? Not in all cases. In the case of His Hand In Mine I am sure most would argue a few extra minutes of music from this phenomenal album would not have degraded the release. As it stands it is still a fantastic effort in the definition of the Classic Album series concept.

Totally agree. His Hand In Mine was never an album I listened to all that often but the new FTD Classic Release raises it to a dreamy, magical experience. (Unlike 'Clambake' .. Grrrr)

I always like more 'fly on the wall studio comments'. Isn't this what these collectors CDs are for, to let us dig as deep as possible into Elvis & the muscians creativity?

Great info from Keith - as always - I will have to go back & research some more.
I still LOVE this CD far more than I expected - no complaints as yet.

Let's contact Sebastian (who did such an amazing job with the other two Classic FTDs) to see who decided on the total overall content/edit. I have heard there were a few difficulties with the quality of the studio master tapes.

Cheers
Piers

Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:38 pm

Tallhair wrote: .... "Complete" 69 Memphis Sessions on future FTDs?

Yeah I know, Elvis sure cussed alot more in the late 1960's sessions it seems. The Guitar man sessions had more than usual cussing too.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Keith F wrote:I'll say again - maybe Ernst does this because he thinks the fans don't want to hear complete sessions.

There is no "maybe." I'll say again -- my comments above detail exactly Ernst's perspective.

Keith F wrote:... if he reads this thread he'll know that we DO want to hear them.

No. If he reads this thread -- not likely -- he'll know that YOU want to hear them.

Where possible I too would like the whole session - no question.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:10 am

I do not see why on a collector's label like FTD that Elvis can't be released singing or saying "CO#!@ucker" or any other word or thought that might not be pc; it is a collector's label after all and not the mainstream label for everyone and their mother to have a chance to buy. We are adults (even though some do not act it). LOL

And Keith is correct in saying that the most of us want it complete when at all possible. And I believe Ernst knows this too or else he would not be giving us what he has lately. However, I am not sure why more could not have been added to HHIM. I can't wait for "How Great Thow Art" to be made available to us in the classic format!

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:19 am

ekenee wrote:........The time is right for this, since the bootlegger is trying to scoop BMG with the American way series.

I bet if Ernst would release the 1969 sessions in complete form, thebootlegger would be halted in his tracks.

I would love to have the American Memphis Sessions in their complete and unadulterated form in STEREO.....every last one of them including all the chitter-chatter......these are some of the most fascinating sessions with Elvis at the top of his game.....to have ALL of them in STEREO and be the fly on the wall is such a listening pleasure. Even though I love some of the '70's material, Elvis never recreated the magic that he created in Memphis during these incredible sessions.

Re: complete sessions

Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:09 am

woodleyjohn wrote:
Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:.... "Complete" 69 Memphis Sessions on future FTDs?

I don't think so either, but we're all grown up, so why not? We've got it anyway, it would just be nice to have it all in the best condition and in order.

I Agree!

Re: complete sessions

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:31 am

woodleyjohn wrote:I don't think so either, but we're all grown up, so why not?

Note to Ernst: your job is safe.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:50 am

yes they should release complete sessions unedited with all banter and count ins and wps that exist. some probily still are missing.
also i hate it when the doctor the session like for instance putting banter from a later take onto an earlier take quit doing that ftd. release as recorded we want it right.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:29 pm

I'm all for FTD to release the complete sessions. If space permits, why not. And the material Ernst doesn't give us, where is this gonna end up ?