All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
deadringer wrote:... in other words, you wrote that all other FTDs released in 7 years were just OK ...

No. Take the class ASAP.

So... you agree that there were MANY mastering errors thru 7 years of FTD label?

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:09 am

deadringer wrote:...I do not have Dragonheart here right now but i bet that "mastering" is credited to Mrs Lene Tocano Destructor Reidel. Am I wrong? Well why not to use heavy compression... it makes the sound "so full", so "leady" ... why not to use an absolute noise reduction... it makes the sound so "star warsy"... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hmm! Actually the CD doesn't mention Reidel, only Semon and Jorgensen.

I guess however that she is behind this one also, like most others.

It is a bad show, but the sound is even worse. And the source is not the main problem, I think, rather the way it has been treated in a computer...:-(

Regards

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:16 am

make a cdr of your orignal unchained melody cd and use where no one stands alone from the bootleg.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:17 am

thats why they need to use kevan and sebastian for mastering.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:38 am

Well, after reading this thread I had to dig out my cds and listen for myself. I compared "Where No One Stands Alone" on the Unchained Melody cd to the Coming On Strong cd. The source tape on Coming On Strong is far superior to the FTD IMO. Thats what the sound quality says to me.

The static glitching on the FTD is not only distracting and annoying but also is obvious and spoils what others here have declared as the best track on the cd.

If this glitching is on the tape FTD used, then they weren't using the original soundboard tape and maybe should have just copied the COS track. It sounds superb.

If it was the original soundboard tape then the static glitching is a mastering error. This error is worse than the one on So High IMO.

I am grateful for everything Ernst and the FTD team does, but it seems the follow through and final quality control on these releases still leaves a lot to be desired. If this is a mastering glitch please consider fixing it and replacing our discs.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:49 am

So, elbo51, which is it? A different source tape og mastering error?
Since you stated the tapes sounds different, I mean!

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:27 am

If it is true that Ms Reidel is not a fan..then she deserves benefit of the doubt for her work because she should have been provided with the boot COS for comparison purposes. I doubt she could have listened to the boot and be satisfied with her mastering. IMO.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:30 am

So, after all this: No facts, only guessing about what happened to the production of Unchained Melody. At least, that's a fact!

Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:31 am

Speaking of the song "Unchained Melody", is my copy of Spring Tours '77 the only one with static running through the "lonely rivers flows, to the sea...." portion of the song?

Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:16 am

elbo51 wrote:If it was the original soundboard tape then the static glitching is a mastering error. This error is worse than the one on So High IMO.

I am grateful for everything Ernst and the FTD team does, but it seems the follow through and final quality control on these releases still leaves a lot to be desired. If this is a mastering glitch please consider fixing it and replacing our discs.

If it is a mastering error, there is no reason to think that FTD won't replace the defective discs. Time will tell....

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:33 am

Speaking of the song "Unchained Melody", is my copy of Spring Tours '77 the only one with static running through the "lonely rivers flows, to the sea...." portion of the song?

No, but this one DOES sound like a tape problem.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:11 am

That is certainly not a tape problem. Nor is there a tape problem with "Where No One Stands Alone". It is our gal from Denmark who has been at it with her sloppy hands. It seems as if this woman cannot even be bothered to listen to her own work. She is careless. There are people on this board who can fix this so-called tape hiss in no time at all, with little effort. So why can’t sloppy Lene?

Per

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:37 am

thekingisalive wrote:That is certainly not a tape problem. Nor is there a tape problem with "Where No One Stands Alone". It is our gal from Denmark who has been at it with her sloppy hands.

Do you ever post when you know what the hell you're talking about?

Please explain how you arrived at your "conclusions."

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:55 pm

The explanation is right there, in my post. If you cared to read all of it, you’d see it. If other people can fix this problem, then so should she. It’s also interesting that the undubbed master of "Unchained Melody" has got this distortion on it when the overdubbed master does not. Lene has proved many times now that she is ill-fit to handle Elvis material, and the same is the case with Dennis Ferrante.

Doc, honestly, do you think Lene Reidel is a better mastering engineer than Kevan Budd? If the answer is no, then why let someone other than the best master these precious recordings?

Per

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:52 pm

Ok, I located a copy of Coming On Strong to compare with the 'Unchained Melody' release. (It seems I lost my copy) here is what I found:

The disturbance IS a tape problem, and it was present (in a very different form) on the Coming On Strong source.

(The Coming On Strong source is, in fact, superior sound quality as well)

Comparing the two on my computer, I noticed that the sound disturbance heard on "Unchained Melody" directly after Elvis says "and my heart" is mirrored in the "Coming On Strong" release, HOWEVER, on "Coming On Strong" the disturbance is almost imperceptable without close inspection, and on the FTD the noise is right up front. This would suggest two things to me.

1)The original FTD source tape has deteriorated since the copy that wound up on the boot was made (the copy could have been made as early as 1977).

...or...

2) A faulty EQ on the FTD heavily exacerbated the problem.

While this is dissappointing, since it turns out this is a tape problem (albeit a very annoying one) I feel that this doesn't warrant a CD exchange) Though I feel sorry for those who can't access the boot version.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:08 pm

well king of the jungle,thats very interesting as tape deteriation is a SERIOUS worry to everyone wanting to hear Elvis in the BEST POSSIBLE SOUND-how unfortunate. :cry:

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:17 pm

I simply don't get this! There has been slandering of people by name on here, stating that this is a mastering problem!
Are we still guessing or is it a fact that no one can really tell?
If that is the case it seems that an apology would be proper?

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:32 am

What about in comparison to Moody Blue and Other Great Performances?

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:38 am

Here's some food for thought: how many releases do you have in your collection where the producers list any tape faults. "There is tape damage to ______, although every effort has been made to improve the recording etc etc"

If this is a genuine tape fault it makes sense that it is listed as such on the packaging.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:44 am

bajo wrote:I simply don't get this! There has been slandering of people by name on here, stating that this is a mastering problem!
Are we still guessing or is it a fact that no one can really tell?
If that is the case it seems that an apology would be proper?
I think slandering is a liitle too strong a word for complaining about the sound and naming people on a work that will be scrutinized by paying customers.. But for better or for worse I believe more than ever the saying..." It's all in the mastering"......it really is.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:57 am

That means I can still stand by the fact that no one knows the fact?

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:01 am

But that is also what I mean. Mastering error or not..if it sounds like crap it is because of the mastering.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:30 pm

Matthew wrote:
KingOfTheJungle wrote:
It really is, especially considering that otherwise the sound quality is better than the boot, and that this is the best track on the CD!!

I think FTD should consider a replacement ala "So high"

What they should do is to consider proof listening the master disc before their releases go to mass production.[/quote]

--> Working in a service area myself, where quality control is the essence in our work - I find it hard to believe that FTD don't have any quality control at all!

Listening to Where No One Stands Alone on the latest FTD, the New Year's Eve double cd, 6363 Sunset, Easter Special and also parts of quite a few others - I actually fear that there is no quality control present before the product goes into pressing..!?

If not present - I suggest they add it to their routines.

Aimed to fans only or not - being a major Record Company, it should definately be in BMG's FTD department own interest that their products are top notch - meaning that personal flaws should be catched before going into production.

Interesting that they actually issued a replacement cd for So High - fixing a fault that (in my opinion) wasn't so serious at all!

It's much much more annoying that we did NOT get replacements for the bad sounding New Year's Eve cds, for example!

Best Regards
Kristian

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:38 pm

If Ernst says the tape was damaged, I think we should believe him. Perhaps the bootleggers simply had a better tape to work with. Obviously FTD should have taken "Where No One Stands Alone" from the bootleg, but it's too late now, and thanks to JLGB we have the song in perfect quality in our computers, so I for one will survive... I think... :wink:

Like I said before, I think FTD should simply slow down a little, so they can spend more time on each release. I prefer quality to quantity. We already have so many cool Elvis releases to enjoy. If we have to wait an extra month or so for every new CD, I think that's cool, I'll just keep listening to the old stuff while I'm waiting. Like yesterday I was listening to "The Lost Album", a truly wonderful CD for sure!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Unchained Melody--Sound Problem

Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:05 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Like I said before, I think FTD should simply slow down a little, so they can spend more time on their releases. I prefer quality to quantity.

You're presupposing that time constraints are the main reason for errors slipping through, but almost certainly the time available to produce these FTD releases is determined by budget. If this is the case, then it would make no difference how many titles were released as cost is the primary limiting factor.

So no need to reduce output, just increase the budget to allow for greater quality control!