All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:09 pm

Johanesson wrote:http://www.elvisnews.com/Presentation/Functional/Page/news.aspx?command=show&item=8620

Last week the latest outing on the FTD label, Unchained Melody, was delivered. A lot of fans noticed a disortion in the track "Where No One Stands Alone", one that wasn't audible on previous bootlegs. We asked Ernst Jorgensen for a comment on this matter and he stated to us "It's recorded badly".Updated: Jan 16, 2007

Interesting... :? Then why the bootleg version is flawless?

Could it be that the importers used a different tape than FTD? One tape had a flaw. The other did not.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:50 pm

Deadringer, I see what you mean, that is why when I wrote "1 or 2 hours extra to check it out." I realized people wouldn't take me seriously, but I think you caught my drift. That is the sad part; some of these errors are so obvious, its as though they know the error is there, but they don't care. Or consider it to be too much an expense to fix. Another possiblity is that 10 years from now they are thinking ahead and they could re-release certain things in upgraded form.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:32 pm

ekenee wrote:Deadringer, I see what you mean, that is why when I wrote "1 or 2 hours extra to check it out." I realized people wouldn't take me seriously, but I think you caught my drift. That is the sad part; some of these errors are so obvious, its as though they know the error is there, but they don't care. Or consider it to be too much an expense to fix. Another possiblity is that 10 years from now they are thinking ahead and they could re-release certain things in upgraded form.

Well what to do... next thing that I do not like is the "explanation" by Ernst. I like Ernst and I really appreciate all his hard job! But why he did not said something like this: "Someone (Reidel?) in Tocano did another stupid mistake - sorry"

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:47 pm

elvisjock wrote: Could it be that the importers used a different tape than FTD? One tape had a flaw. The other did not.

Spot on Jock.

The boot release sounds binaural to me..
FTD sounds like ..... mono.

Different source, case closed.
But why didn't FTD use the crystal clear (already bootlegged) audio...?

I think they do not care about quality on bootleg releases.
And in some cases, they produce worse sound, probably without even knowing...

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:59 pm

Now, let's just pretend that FTD have usen another source. What's on that old tape should never have been released. They decided to release it for "historical reason"!
Now we have it, otherwise we wouldn't. I find it odd to see some peoples behaviour in here towards people by name, without knowing the facts behind this.
We're dealing with products that should never have seen the light of day.
Looking back and counting FTD products so far, I think we're beeing spoilt.
People cry for this and that concert to be released. As soon as we get something "new" the axes are brought out howling against the producers.
Personally I don't like this kind of behaviour.
What if Ernst listened to all this and simply quit his job, because it doesn't give him any pleasure anymore! A little gratitude would do just fine!

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:08 am

bajo wrote:Now, let's just pretend that FTD have usen another source. What's on that old tape should never have been released. They decided to release it for "historical reason"!
Now we have it, otherwise we wouldn't. I find it odd to see some peoples behaviour in here towards people by name, without knowing the facts behind this.
We're dealing with products that should never have seen the light of day.
Looking back and counting FTD products so far, I think we're beeing spoilt.
People cry for this and that concert to be released. As soon as we get something "new" the axes are brought out howling against the producers.
Personally I don't like this kind of behaviour.
What if Ernst listened to all this and simply quit his job, because it doesn't give him any pleasure anymore! A little gratitude would do just fine!
I totally agre.I don't think there has been an FTD released where people on this message board haven't complained in one way or another. :roll: .At the end of the day we should be glad we have these releases.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:11 am

Listen, I didn't start this thread to be ungrateful, I started it to find out whether or not I had a flawed CD. This does not sound like something that was on the original tape to me, but I could be wrong.

If it was a tape source, I must say I would rather FTD had just piched this track from the boot rather than releasing this inferior version. And after all how hard would the tape used on the boot be to track down, you all know how small the Elvis world is.

If it was not the tape source, and is a mastering flaw, I think replacement Cds are in order. After all, I pay my hard earned money for these expensive (and usually wonderful) FTDs. Ernst has always made an effort to correct mistakes like this in the past, and if there is something he can do about this, I believe he should and will correct the mistake.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:16 am

I was thinking of restoring the FTD...Since I am behind there I will just maybe for the first time skip this one....anyhow I will restore to make even better sounding the stereo escape.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:30 am

bajo wrote:What if Ernst listened to all this and simply quit his job, because it doesn't give him any pleasure anymore!

I think Ernst knows most of us here have nothing but 100% respect for him and his work. And the recent "His Hand In Mine" FTD got only super positive comments on this board, just like "Southern Nights" did for example. So hopefully he can also deal with some negative feedback from time to time! :wink:

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:35 am

We all respect him. And with that in mind the only thing that will never change is ELVIS.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:04 am

thekingisalive wrote:Conclusion? The Doc is mistaken again. Is he man enough to admit to it, or is he trying to squirm away from the truth? That is the question. [sic] No offense.

Do you need a pair of reading glasses, or should you go a little slower before you make stupid comments? Those are the questions. No offense.

Here's my statement with SALIENT portions in bold:

drjohncarpenter wrote:The only FTD set in seven years bearing obvious and severe mastering errors was the 2xCD set, New Year's Eve.

If you need definitions for "obvious" and "severe," do let me know.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:05 am

I respect Ernst a great deal but "It's recorded badly" sounds to me like a quick answer just thrown out there without any investigation into the matter.

(PS - I'm still awaiting my replacement Too Much Monkey Business! :wink: )

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:31 am

"Severe" is a matter of opinion. However, the examples I mentioned are obvious to me and everyone else with a pair of good ears. In fact, one good ear is enough. Nice try, Doc. :lol:

Per

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:44 am

thekingisalive wrote:"Severe" is a matter of opinion.

Actually, it was clear what was meant to everyone ... except you.

Visit this site before you post any further ignorant comments:

Dictionary.com

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:53 am

There are severe mastering problems with all of the CDs I mentioned. Not everyone may agree with that, but the mistakes are obvious to all of us … except you, that is. So, you see, severe is a matter of opinion, whereas obvious is not.

Per

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:00 am

thekingisalive wrote:There are severe mastering problems with all of the CDs I mentioned. Not everyone may agree with that, but the mistakes are obvious to all of us … except you, that is. So, you see, severe is a matter of opinion, whereas obvious is not.

Per

There are *obvious* mastering errors on many FTD releases, way too many! However, the most severly damaged one is most likely Dragonheart!

Regards

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:02 am

Dragonheart?

Care to explain that one, Owen?

Per

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:50 pm

Just heard WNSA from Unchained - absolute disgrace!! There is no excuse for this shoddy error, and on the most significant track of the album!!

Apart from that though, another enjoyable FTD :)

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:54 pm

May I ask once more, could someone post a sample of this problem passage so those of us who don't have it yet (in spite of our very best efforts) can hear it for ourselves?

And, once again, thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:57 pm

thekingisalive wrote:Dragonheart?

Per

Sure! The whole CD is so tweaked and compressed that it is almost unbearable to listen to it. There are digital "noise" or artifacts everywhere. Try one time to turn up the volume while listening to this CD. I warn you, however, it might ruin the evening!

Regards

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:07 pm

Sure! The whole CD is so tweaked and compressed that it is almost unbearable to listen to it. There are digital "noise" or artifacts everywhere. Try one time to turn up the volume while listening to this CD. I warn you, however, it might ruin the evening!

I'm willing to excuse this because I've heard a "pre-tweaked" copy of a 74 show from this era, and they sound VERY muddy. It takes alot of work to get a good balance between the instruments and vocals. The 74 tapes seem to be the worst about this.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:59 am

ElvisInNorway wrote:
thekingisalive wrote:Dragonheart?

Per

Regards

Oven, I am pretty sure that your attempt to explain the kind of mastering errors/degree of soud destruction is hopeless. Doc Carpenter is simply stubborn guy. Once decided ... no argument can change his mind... All FTDs are excellent sounding except for NYE 76. Aaaaaaamen.

I do not have Dragonheart here right now but i bet that "mastering" is credited to Mrs Lene Tocano Destructor Reidel. Am I wrong? Well why not to use heavy compression... it makes the sound "so full", so "leady" ... why not to use an absolute noise reduction... it makes the sound so "star warsy"... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:05 am

deadringer wrote:Doc Carpenter is simply stubborn guy... All FTDs are excellent sounding except for NYE 76.

You need to buy some glasses, or take an English comprehension class. I never said any such thing, so your comment is a waste of bandwidth.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
deadringer wrote:Doc Carpenter is simply stubborn guy... All FTDs are excellent sounding except for NYE 76.

You need to buy some glasses, or take an English comprehension class. I never said any such thing, so your comment is a waste of bandwidth.

Doc wrote: The only FTD set in seven years bearing obvious and severe mastering errors was the 2xCD set, New Year's Eve. Someone dropped the ball on that one. At least it was sold at the single disc price.

- in other words, you wrote that all other FTDs released in 7 years were just OK when we are speaking about digital mastering errors.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:50 am

deadringer wrote:... in other words, you wrote that all other FTDs released in 7 years were just OK ...

No. Take the class ASAP.