All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Unchained Melody sound problem

Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:51 am

I am currently listening to the new FTD Unchained Melody, and I noticed that there is some very distracting static/sound interference over the 1st part of "Where No One Stands Alone".

Is it this way on all of the CDs or did I just get a bad copy?

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:02 am

It's there on mine as well!

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:03 am

It's on all copies.
It's not on the boot release however :?

This has been discussed on other topics..

Cheers, RJ

Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:55 am

Thats annoying if true..... especially if on the bootleg it sounds ok! :cry:

Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:59 am

Now this is a damn shame!!! :cry:

Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:57 am

It really is, especially considering that otherwise the sound quality is better than the boot, and that this is the best track on the CD!!

I think FTD should consider a replacement ala "So high"

Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:00 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:It really is, especially considering that otherwise the sound quality is better than the boot, and that this is the best track on the CD!!

What they should do is to consider proof listening the master disc before their releases go to mass production.

Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:03 am

i just received this cd!....-actually it hasn't bothered me too much on a computer played listen,...... but give me time to properly listen to it, but so far i like the sounds and Columbia is interesting too. :lol: no where near as bad as 'usual slammers ' are saying.runs for nearly 64 minutes(but then i guess a decent bootlegger could have put 5-6 more tracks in to fill up the 'spare' 15 minutes on any disc!!!!?? :roll: )

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:13 am

Matthew wrote:
KingOfTheJungle wrote:It really is, especially considering that otherwise the sound quality is better than the boot, and that this is the best track on the CD!!

What they should do is to consider proof listening the master disc before their releases go to mass production.

Good point. Sometimes, I think FTD should maybe consider releasing fewer titles. That way they could spend more time on every CD to make sure it's 100% perfect before they release it. I don't want to bitch about this sound problem, because I haven't recieved my copy yet, but... if the tape FTD has is damaged, they could have asked someone on FECC to lend them a copy of the boot. Ain't that right? After all this particular track is the most important one on the CD (along with "Moody Blue" and "Reconsider Baby" of course).

However, maybe there is a good explanation for this. And maybe the "sound problem" won't bother me anyway. I'll have to wait and see...

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:30 am

The pick, pick, picky gang are at it again :D

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:10 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:The pick, pick, picky gang are at it again :D

I very rarely critizice FTD. However, in this case the negative feedback seems to be justified, because this error could - it seems - easily have been avoided. I hope Ernst doesn't get all depressed if he reads this. After all, we pick at these things because we care so much about our beloved FTD releases, and because we know they do get it right most of the time. It would've been more disturbing if no-one even bothered to mention that this unique track has sound problems on this CD.

I'm not one of those "play it once and then shelve it" kind of listeners. I'm fixin' to enjoy my "Unchained Melody" FTD for a looong time! The same goes for all my other Elvis releases and therefore I want them to be as good as possible. :wink:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:51 pm

I'd also like to mention that FTD has set a very high standard with their best releases. They have proved several times that they can give us perfect artwork, perfect sound quality and perfect song selection. So, naturally I want all FTDs to be that good! :wink:

For example, I want Kevan or Sebastian to work on all future soundtracks in order to get the best possible sound out of them. Because I know these guys can do it.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:47 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I'd also like to mention that FTD has set a very high standard with their best releases. They have proved several times that they can give us perfect artwork, perfect sound quality and perfect song selection. So, naturally I want all FTDs to be that good! :wink:

For example, I want Kevan or Sebastian to work on all future soundtracks in order to get the best possible sound out of them. Because I know these guys can do it.

Keith Richards, Jr.

I'm with you all the way Keith!

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:43 am

The pick, pick, picky gang are at it again

Kiwi, if you don't complain at THIS very distracting sound flaw, obviously not present on the boot, you are willing to let FTD slide WAY too much.

This ruins the best track on an otherwise unremarkable CD that I paid 30 bucks for! I feel I have every right to complain.

And this doesn't sound like a tape error to me, it sounds like a digital glitch in the master CD.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:01 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:... it sounds like a digital glitch in the master CD.

You have a fair view, if it applies to all copies. I'll certainly listen when mine arrives.

The only FTD set in seven years bearing obvious and severe mastering errors was the 2xCD set, New Year's Eve. Someone dropped the ball on that one. At least it was sold at the single disc price.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:04 am

If there is a production flaw certainly FTD will replace defective discs like they did with "So High".

A production error (tape speed) happened with the first run of the 2005 Dagger Records (Jimi Hendrix collector's label) release "Live At The Isle Of Fehmarn". They happily replaced the defective discs.

People should lay off FTD for these sorts of issues. They aren't the only label that has issued defective product. As long as they fix the problem, it isn't a big deal....

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:35 am

http://www.elvisnews.com/Presentation/F ... &item=8620

Last week the latest outing on the FTD label, Unchained Melody, was delivered. A lot of fans noticed a disortion in the track "Where No One Stands Alone", one that wasn't audible on previous bootlegs. We asked Ernst Jorgensen for a comment on this matter and he stated to us "It's recorded badly".Updated: Jan 16, 2007

Interesting... :? Then why the bootleg version is flawless?

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:42 pm

Johanesson wrote:http://www.elvisnews.com/Presentation/Functional/Page/news.aspx?command=show&item=8620

Last week the latest outing on the FTD label, Unchained Melody, was delivered. A lot of fans noticed a disortion in the track "Where No One Stands Alone", one that wasn't audible on previous bootlegs. We asked Ernst Jorgensen for a comment on this matter and he stated to us "It's recorded badly".Updated: Jan 16, 2007

Interesting... :? Then why the bootleg version is flawless?

Good question! :wink:

A similiar thing happened with "Snowbird" which has a little sound problem on "The Impossible Dream" (FTD) that is not featured on the bootleg. At least that's what I've heard, I don't own the bootleg! :D Anyway, Ernst explained that the tape FTD worked with was messed up on that particular song. The only solution, I guess, would have been to take the song from the bootleg CD instead. That seems to be the case this time also. But I don't know. Maybe the bootleggers simply hired some fabulous sound wizard who managed to get rid of he distortion. They don't have to pay the musicians, they can spend all their money on sound and artwork...

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:50 pm

If the tape is now 30 years old could that affect? or are all tapes transferred to digital medium?

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote,

The only FTD set in seven years bearing obvious and severe mastering errors was the 2xCD set, New Year's Eve.

Are you reading this, Owen?

Doc, you should visit Owen’s site and see what he’s got to say about Easter Special and 6363 Sunset.

The following CDs have mastering errors:

Elvis at the International (end of "Can’t Help Falling in Love"), Spring Tours ’77 ("Unchained Melody"), Unchained Melody ("Where No One Stands Alone"), some of the soundtracks. There is also a possible error on The Impossible Dream ("Snowbird"), but I haven’t made up my mind on that one yet. There may be other CDs as well, but these are the ones that come to mind right away.

Conclusion? The Doc is mistaken again. Is he man enough to admit to it, or is he trying to squirm away from the truth? That is the question. No offense.

Per

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:06 pm

For those of us who haven't received this disc yet -- I hope it'll get here next week but one never knows -- could somebody find the time to post a snippet of this sound problem so we can understand what everyone's discussing.

Thank you.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:16 pm

OK I'm gonna pass on this one... I'll save my money for the next one...

Oh yeah... btw... can someone send me a copy of Unchained Melody when they have a chance? mp3 would be fine...

:wink:

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KingOfTheJungle wrote:... it sounds like a digital glitch in the master CD.

You have a fair view, if it applies to all copies. I'll certainly listen when mine arrives.

The only FTD set in seven years bearing obvious and severe mastering errors was the 2xCD set, New Year's Eve. Someone dropped the ball on that one. At least it was sold at the single disc price.

NO and one more time NO! Doc, can you agree with something different for once? Do you want me to compile a LIST of MASTERING ERRORS on FTD CDs ????? It will be a long list.

Did you ever listened 6363 SUNSET ????? track SHAKE A HAND for example? Or SPRING TOURS 77 ??? There are OBVIOUS MASTERING ERRORS ON BOTH!!! And there are obvious mastering errors on OTHERS. No virtual reality, just real errors. Responsible person = Lene Reidel who did the mastering.

Not a single mastering error on any CD that Kevan Budd mastered (and restored the sound for).

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:38 pm

Quote: Sometimes, I think FTD should maybe consider releasing fewer titles. That way they could spend more time on every CD to make sure it's 100% perfect before they release it.

Fewer titles??? No, I think they should spend more time though on the quality control. I think if they spent an extra hour or two, every release would be close to perfect. :wink:

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:54 pm

ekenee wrote:Quote: Sometimes, I think FTD should maybe consider releasing fewer titles. That way they could spend more time on every CD to make sure it's 100% perfect before they release it.

Fewer titles??? No, I think they should spend more time though on the quality control. I think if they spent an extra hour or two, every release would be close to perfect. :wink:

The worst thing is, that there is NOBODY listening the master CDR or other medium before it is sent to the factory. If someone will spend one hour and listen to it in headphones carefully enough (pls if someone will listen one of the already pressed discs to be sure), NO SUCH ERROR WILL ESCAPE.