All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:45 am

I seen some good closeup ones from the concert on TCB world, though there might be a few from Cincinatti. I'll post the link anyhow, then someone can load up the pictures.......

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/browse ... 35&userid=

Go down a few rows, and you'll see them

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:14 am

Loading up a hundred pictures won't change the cold, hard facts. 1977 was a very bad year for Elvis Presley, both personally and professionally.

To debate whether he "looked good" for two hours on a Sunday night is a pointless exercise. It's been almost thirty (30) years, people. Give it a rest.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Loading up a hundred pictures won't change the cold, hard facts. 1977 was a very bad year for Elvis Presley, both personally and professionally.

Don't bother explaining the obvious. The fans of 1977 and more specifically EIC will continue live in fantasy land.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:21 am

A little harsh, methinks. There are some decent moments and songs, but I agree that it's kind of hard to enjoy them given the circumstances of the man's health and impending doom, as we've discussed umpteen times.

I do think some good shots can be found in '77 not only because they are cherry-picked, but he did look better on some nights and occasions. It wasn't all uniformly a train-wreck, although I agree that in comparison to '56 or '70, one could make a case that he had no business on stage, period, until he made his way back a bit more...

To go too far in the other direction ("it was all bad") ends up being as myopic as the other "see no evil" crowd.

"Malibu," huh, Midnightx? Sounds nice. :D

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:39 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:There are some decent moments and songs, but I agree that it's kind of hard to enjoy them given the circumstances ...

Yeah, 1977 got just a teensy-weensy bit harder to enjoy after August 16.

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I agree that in comparison to '56 or '70, one could make a case that he had no business on stage ...

One has to compare his tragic final year to two high-water marks first?

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:To go too far in the other direction ("it was all bad") ends up being as myopic as the other "see no evil" crowd.

What's myopic is your routine shifting of view in this debate -- a shift you seem to never acknowledge. No one claims "it was all bad" -- except YOU.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:09 am

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:Cincinatti

All right, people. Let's all do this together. A little slower this time....let's go. C-i-n-c-i-n-n-a-t-i.

There we go. Now, let's say it. Cin....cin....nat....i.

Good! One last time...all together now.....Cincinnati.

Class dismissed.

ABOUT FEB

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:22 am

People have to know that the only reason that the worst pictures are from FEB 12 is because the tabloids were in that frenzy and published out of hundreds only the worst!1 Believe me from any 76 77 or earlier concert if you go through pictures and just keep the worst you will have somethintg!!! That was what happened to the show I went on FEB 12..close to big city MIAMI etc........Just like you can pick good pictures from June 77 so there is a few I have found ok and will re post them as the date comes nearer. Hope I made sense to some.......

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:40 pm

In 1977, Elvis usually looked better at the end of the tours, than at the start. This is perhaps most obvious in February, but check out photos from April/May and May/June tours. So it wasn't just Indy. And since one of the reasons Elvis gave a bad performance in Omaha seems to be he was extremely nervous, I'm not sure it would have made much difference if CBS had filmed Cincinnati (did I get it right, Rob?) and Indy instead. The bottom line being, had those shows been chosen for filming, with EP being nervous, the bright lights, the make-up, and so on - they would not have been the same shows we now know. :wink:

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:31 am

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:In 1977, Elvis usually looked better at the end of the tours, than at the start. :

Which goes to show what 14 days of exercise can do :D

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:To go too far in the other direction ("it was all bad") ends up being as myopic as the other "see no evil" crowd.

What's myopic is your routine shifting of view in this debate -- a shift you seem to never acknowledge. No one claims "it was all bad" -- except YOU.

Your snide "angry young man" routine has grown tiresome - long ago, Doc. We're not talking about scientific formulas, but the very subjective realm of music. You don't know much more than anyone here about music, when you boil it down. For all your knowledge of trivia, it doesn't make your royal opinion fact.

If you want to have a civil conversation on Elvis, fine, but I'm not alone in thinking your 500-pound gorilla routine on FECC is way past its shelf-life.

:roll:

I could engage you in your lame attempt to corner me into your supposed trap, but you're not worth the trouble. Do yourself and all of us a favor and take a breather. Your hostility is way out of place on this forum - no matter what your contributions are to the scene. It doesn't give you a right to act forever like a jerk.

For the record, you know I'm not uncritical about '77. Why, oh, why, do you feel the need to throw your weight around the board?

Besides (and I wasn't going to mention it) but we're still waiting for your response to Keith :

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=

Keith F wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Keith F wrote:That maybe because I've banned your IP address from accessing my site Ever thought of that "Dr John"?

Interesting. Are all the other people who cannot access your site "banned" too? That's amazing, all from "banning" my IP address!

Don't you mean "addresses" as you have more than one IP Address! :lol:

:smt031

Atta boy, Keith :!:

:smt038

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:43 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:If you want to have a civil conversation on Elvis, fine ...

Great! Let me know when you're ready to address my oft-repeated, clearly-stated points, instead of acting like a baby.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:14 am

Rob wrote:
Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:Cincinatti

All right, people. Let's all do this together. A little slower this time....let's go. C-i-n-c-i-n-n-a-t-i.

There we go. Now, let's say it. Cin....cin....nat....i.

Good! One last time...all together now.....Cincinnati.

Class dismissed.

Oh wow, i just made up my own town :lol:

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:If you want to have a civil conversation on Elvis, fine ...

Great! Let me know when you're ready to address my oft-repeated, clearly-stated points, instead of acting like a baby.

Coming from your pompous, arrogant ass, that's rather rich. You have nothing on me (or just about anyone) here in commenting on music, no matter what your ego tells you. Your negativity serves to undermine whatever you might otherwise bring to the table.

As stated, I can calmly discuss Elvis Presley's music without being an jerk, something you long ago showed you cannot do.

And how about it? What's good for the goose is good for the gander, Mr. Statistic or whoever else you are.

Keith F wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Keith F wrote:
That maybe because I've banned your IP address from accessing my site Ever thought of that "Dr John"?

Interesting. Are all the other people who cannot access your site "banned" too? That's amazing, all from "banning" my IP address!

Don't you mean "addresses" as you have more than one IP Address!

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:34 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I can calmly discuss Elvis Presley's music without being an jerk ...

As anyone may read, you've shown the opposite on this thread, but please do let me know when that changes.

Re: Did Elvis ever see the recording of himself on EIC CBS 7

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:46 am

LesterB wrote:Does anybody know if Elvis got to preview the CBS tapes?

Most unlikely. If he was not very happy to watch his own movies, you can imagine how eager he was to see footage of his own concert, of which he knew he was in bad shape. In addition, he had other things on his mind, like the upcomming book - Elvis, What Happened.

LesterB wrote:I suspect Elvis did not ever get to see himself on those CBS tapes. If so - it seems an opportunity lost by those around him, namely Parker, who could have used the footage to possibly wake Elvis up to reality??
No, it was an opportunity lost by Elvis. Besides, Elvis would not have listened to others and needed the money.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:50 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I can calmly discuss Elvis Presley's music without being an jerk ...

As anyone may read, you've shown the opposite on this thread, but please do let me know when that changes.

Doc, face it: you are one of the most knowledgeable fans here, but as a human being,, at your worst (on display almost daily) you come off as a miserable, nasty person and almost everyone knows it. Try to grow the hell up and observe some basic civility.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:06 am

carolynlm wrote:I have come to the conclusion that docs threads and posts are computer generated.....no warmth or compassion, something like reading a dictionary ...

Your ... post ... does ... not ... compute ...

You ... may ... call ... me ... Hal ...

Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:50 pm

But actually, when watching "A Space Odessey", one must conclude that "Hal" is most "human" of all on board of the spaceship!

Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:54 pm

Thank ... you ... Den ... man ...

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:26 pm

I'll only start to get worried if DJC starts singing "Daisy, Daisy".

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:33 pm

Can anyone remember the story of how 2001 was chosen by / for Elvis for opening his shows??

Again - I read about it once upon a time .... as usual cannot remember where??

This is way off the original topic!!

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:16 pm

LesterB wrote:Can anyone remember the story of how 2001 was chosen by / for Elvis for opening his shows??

Again - I read about it once upon a time .... as usual cannot remember where??

This is way off the original topic!!

there are 2 versions of the story:

1. Joe Guercio claimed that it was his suggestion (after having seen '2001- A Space Odyssey' in the theatre with his wife)
2. Elvis claimed it was his idea and asked Joe to work out the proper arrangements.

As Elvis always liked dramatic parts, it is well possible that it was indeed his initial idea.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:15 pm

well the fact that elvis is "THE EXECUTIVE PRODUCER" on both the album and the television show tells me that he would have had to have at least seen enough of it (or remembered it) to say what he wanted on it,or they wouldn't have givin him the role of "Executive Producer" my guess is maby he saw the two concerts (unedited) and said what he wanted on the special and what he didn't want,which versions of the song etc...that's just a guess...also if he saw it maby that would explain why he all of a sudden decided to go on a diet and loose weight in august..again just a theory...

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:27 pm

joshferrell wrote:well the fact that elvis is "THE EXECUTIVE PRODUCER" on both the album and the television show tells me that he would have had to have at least seen enough of it (or remembered it) to say what he wanted on it,or they wouldn't have givin him the role of "Executive Producer" my guess is maby he saw the two concerts (unedited) and said what he wanted on the special and what he didn't want,which versions of the song etc...that's just a guess...also if he saw it maby that would explain why he all of a sudden decided to go on a diet and loose weight in august..again just a theory...

Elvis' title of Executive Producer probably had more to do with the financial deal than it did with anything creative.

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:23 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
And how about it? What's good for the goose is good for the gander, Mr. Statistic or whoever else you are.

doctor john carpenter and little me being one and the same person? How did this come about? Mindbending suggestion!