All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Did Elvis ever see the recording of himself on EIC CBS 77??

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:23 pm

Does anybody know if Elvis got to preview the CBS tapes?

I know the special was scraped - I guess Elvis must have been told this. I cannot remember reading or hearing anything about this except that the producers said Elvis needed to get in shape and they would tape him again then. I cannot remember the source of that information.

I suspect Elvis did not ever get to see himself on those CBS tapes. If so - it seems an opportunity lost by those around him, namely Parker, who could have used the footage to possibly wake Elvis up to reality??

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:45 pm

I don't believe Elvis ever saw the footage. That's just an opinion. Recall from the Tucson show that he wasn't aware of the inclusion of The Last Farewell on the Boulevard album. Later that year, in Vegas, an audience member requested Moody Blue. Elvis said he hadn't even heard Moody Blue yet. Someone shouted back that it was playing on the radio. Elvis said, "I don't listen to the radio."

I just think he was so far gone at that point that he secluded himself at Graceland that summer and paid no attention to what was going on around him.

In terms of unexpected and shocking surprises, I'd be blown away if it turned out that CBS filmed Elvis at Graceland in 1977, as has been rumored. I just don't think it happened.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:49 pm

elvisjock wrote:In terms of unexpected and shocking surprises, I'd be blown away if it turned out that CBS filmed Elvis at Graceland in 1977, as has been rumored. I just don't think it happened.

No need to be shocked, as stated in an other thread- the CBS pool interview is a rumour (can you imagine).

Re: Did Elvis ever see the recording of himself on EIC CBS 7

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:13 pm

LesterB wrote:I suspect Elvis did not ever get to see himself on those CBS tapes.

I don't know if Elvis saw it or not, but he sure looked and sounded great. Don't you think he looked and sounded great? I wish that they would release that material to the public. Don't you wish that they'd release that material to the public? Do you think it will ever see the light of day?

We haven't had a CBS Special thread in a few weeks on releasing this footage. It's time for another one though. Don't you think it's time for another one?

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:14 pm

Rob wrote:
LesterB wrote:I suspect Elvis did not ever get to see himself on those CBS tapes.

I don't know if Elvis saw it or not, but he sure looked and sounded great. Don't you think he looked and sounded great? I wish that they would release that material to the public. Don't you wish that they'd release that material to the public? Do you think it will ever see the light of day?

We haven't had a CBS Special thread in a few weeks on releasing this footage. It's time for another one though. Don't you think it's time for another one?

Rob, you are so right. What an awesome special. It is time for a delxue edition with both concerts unedited, the original special, a documentary about the making of with interviews from all involved with the special, 5.1 surround sound, and a picture gallary. :smt035 :roll:

Also, it is highly doubtful Elvis ever saw the footage. As most know, after those 2 shows (the Omaha concert being one of his most atrocious ever) the special was in a holding pattern as CBS and the producers apparently weren't sure what direction to take. After Elvis' death the material was quickly edited together for a TV special. While Elvis probably never saw the footage, he certainly had to have been aware of what was on there....

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:46 am

I do not like CBS 77. Not enouigh tight close shots.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:09 am

Let me save everybody some typing.

"I want EIC released complete, those filthy EPE fascists have no right to keep this footage from us, that's censorship, this footage belongs to us! Elvis wasn't really fat, just a little overweight, my uncle Jasper is much fatter, Omaha isn't really a bad show, Elvis is just really tired cause he was out there for the fans! "

"EIC should never be released, to even mention it is a crime that should be punished by castration, anyone who wants to watch this is a heartless, ignorant, selfish idiot, this footage should be packed off and forgotten in the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark! "

"Only the best parts of EIC should be released, with the best camera angles selected to make Elvis look better, lots of selective editing so he can come across better and his speech isn't slurred, but this should be a limited FTD only release because we don't want the general public to be reminded that Elvis got heavy, had a drug problem, and died, because they will resurrect Albert Goldman to write about Elvis sh*tting himself and passing out in his mashed potatoes!"

Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:12 am

LesterB wrote:Does anybody know if Elvis got to preview the CBS tapes?

Bear in mind, the CBS-TV videotaping was complete by June 26. And Elvis spent all of July and half of August at home.

Although nothing has been definitively reported, it doesn't seem far-fetched that the producers would offer Elvis copies of the basic footage, in case he had some thoughts on song selection, or anything else.

LesterB wrote:I know the special was scraped ...

How do you "know"? Nothing has ever been detailed that the show was "scraped" ... although one can say a "scraped" show might hurt.

LesterB wrote:I cannot remember reading or hearing anything about this ... I suspect Elvis did not ever get to see himself on those CBS tapes.

If you're drawing conclusons based on nothing, what is the point?

Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
LesterB wrote:I cannot remember reading or hearing anything about this ... I suspect Elvis did not ever get to see himself on those CBS tapes.

If he did get to see himself on those tapes, it can only have exacerbated his depression. I doubt he would have felt galvanised about things. It's interesting that he supposedly told at least one person (the name escapes me at present) that he wanted to make the next tour "the best tour ever" -- just before loading himself up with so many more pills than usual that he extinguished his life forever.

OK ... this is a depressing post.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Bear in mind, the CBS-TV videotaping was complete by June 26. And Elvis spent all of July and half of August at home.

Although nothing has been definitively reported, it doesn't seem far-fetched that the producers would offer Elvis copies of the basic footage, in case he had some thoughts on song selection, or anything else.

How do you "know"? Nothing has ever been detailed that the show was "scraped" ... although one can say a "scraped" show might hurt.

If you're drawing conclusions based on nothing, what is the point?

You've hit the nail squarely on the head, Doc.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:00 am

Well i don't know if he did either, but according to Careless love, he was even supposed to have said 'i know i was bad', as if it was an accident that happened to someone else and obviously got on a bit better in Rapid City.
Last edited by Scott Haigh 781990EP on Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: OK ... this is a depressing post.

Is it :roll:? Why, because you said so!? Anyway, being historians (like we all are) of the late Elvis Presley, we will never stop learning about his life and times! The CBS TV Special is a god send. Had Parker not cut the deal, we may not of had any pro - footage of Presley, post Aloha! It was always going to be shown, no matter what you heard or read, as CBS would of wanted a return on their investment!

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:26 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

There was a man who was an expert Map reader. You could say to him where is this street or where is that building located or how many exits does this park have and because he was such an expert he could point to the map immediately showing you the answer to any question. In actual fact – he was probably one of the best Map readers around.

The problem was that he lived in New York but had a map of Washington DC.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:41 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Bear in mind, the CBS-TV videotaping was complete by June 26. And Elvis spent all of July and half of August at home.

According to E-Cat, on another, very recent thread about the subject, the producers presented Elvis with a copy of the footage. The source for this info is supposed to be Colonel Parker. I find it very likely that this indeed was the case, but who knows if it was delivered to Elvis personally or to someone in his staff - who may or may not have given it to Elvis.

Like the Doc says, the filming of the CBS special was finished by June 26. There is absolutely no reason to believe CBS would have scrapped the footage to begin again from scratch on a later tour. They had already spent a lot of money (Elvis's fee and production costs) on it. And, of course, they had no guarantees that Elvis would be in better shape on the August tour! The contract was signed, Elvis got payed, the show was filmed. There was no going back.

A funny thing is, that I remember seeing a scan of an article posted on some message board, might even have been this one, a few years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't save it to my computer... Anyway - it was an article written before Elvis's death, and announcing the broadcast of EIC in October 77. Which proves there never were any plans not to air the special. The only thing that changed was the addition of Vernon's thank you-speach at the end.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:58 pm

I seem to remember a story that claimed friend and poet from Tupelo, Janel McComb(?) visited Elvis at Graceland during July 1977.He apparently gave her a videotape with the CBS footage saying he had no need for it. True or not I don't know, whether or not he watched it is another matter. It has been claimed that the bootleg material out there -of CBS footage-originates from the tape given to her.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:33 pm

People are forgetting one small detail and that is, editing! It takes weeks and many hours to edit footage/ sound. Maybe time ran out for the producers to present Presley with a copy. If they did, then it would of been a rough copy!
It would of been a copy without Vernon' 2nd input, for obvious reasons. I'm sure the opening sequences were filmed around the same time ol' Vern was being interviewed, back in Memphis!
So, remember the editing department :roll:!

Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:48 pm

The rumor that CBS was going to scrap the footage and re-shoot at a later date when (and if) Elvis got in shape is in the book Elvis - The Illustrated Record by Roy Carr and Mick Farren. It reads as follows: "It has been alleged that having seen some of the rushes, horrified CBS executives held top-level discussions about postponing the project and reshooting it later, should Elvis get himself back in shape."

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:29 pm

Pete Dube wrote:The rumor that CBS was going to scrap the footage and re-shoot at a later date when (and if) Elvis got in shape is in the book Elvis - The Illustrated Record by Roy Carr and Mick Farren. It reads as follows: "It has been alleged that having seen some of the rushes, horrified CBS executives held top-level discussions about postponing the project and reshooting it later, should Elvis get himself back in shape."

Pete - WOW - thanks for that - just checked out the book - the quote is on page 166. I haven't picked up that book in YEARS.

Its amazing what the years do isn't it - I didn't remember that alleged bit. I did remember the word "scrap" though (or "scraped" :D as I wrote down - hope that was a typo on my part!) which must have prompted me to use that word. I would never have found that info again - congratulations on finding it :)
Last edited by LesterB on Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:38 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Like the Doc says, the filming of the CBS special was finished by June 26. There is absolutely no reason to believe CBS would have scrapped the footage to begin again from scratch on a later tour. They had already spent a lot of money (Elvis's fee and production costs) on it. And, of course, they had no guarantees that Elvis would be in better shape on the August tour! The contract was signed, Elvis got payed, the show was filmed. There was no going back.

But there has been speculation that CBS was not happy with the results and they considered filming additional shows for more usable footage. Maybe there isn't any truth to it, but it isn't unreasonable to think that the network wanted to produce the best special possible and with the footage that they had, they knew it would be a difficult task. Ultimately they had no choice but to use what they had. It also wouldn't be unreasonable to think that Parker would not have allowed any additional filming. His philosophy easily could have been for the network to use what they had, even prior to Elvis' death.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:41 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:...The CBS TV Special is a god send. Had Parker not cut the deal, we may not of had any pro - footage of Presley, post Aloha!

You are joking, right?

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:03 am

these are pictures from june 26 1977.........if you see these pictures.....then you will notice that elvis was not in that bad shape.....
cbs could have made some better footage of it....

marcel

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:09 am

thefunkyangel wrote:

Is it :roll:? Why, because you said so!? Anyway, being historians (like we all are) of the late Elvis Presley, we will never stop learning about his life and times! The CBS TV Special is a god send. Had Parker not cut the deal, we may not of had any pro - footage of Presley, post Aloha! It was always going to be shown, no matter what you heard or read, as CBS would of wanted a return on their investment!

In the words of Lex Luthor: I said that, didn't I? :wink:

midnightx wrote:
thefunkyangel wrote:...The CBS TV Special is a god send. Had Parker not cut the deal, we may not of had any pro - footage of Presley, post Aloha!

You are joking, right?

I see nothing shocking about that. It's great that we have something of Elvis after Aloha -- even if he's far from his best.

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:14 am

thefunkyangel wrote:

Is it :roll:? Why, because you said so!?

Ask "Cryogenic" -- he wrote it. And get some glasses.

June 26, 1977--comments about pictures

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:29 pm

I was closley studying the pictures of Elvis from his last concert, on 6/26/77. For the most part, he looks better in these pictures than he does in 90% of the pictures made in 1977. Most of the pictures are better than perhaps half of the ones made in 1976 and maybe even a few from 1975.

The very worst photos of 1977 (and all time) are from the first tour in February.

Re: June 26, 1977--comments about pictures

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:51 pm

tsc4280 wrote:I was closley studying the pictures of Elvis from his last concert, on 6/26/77. For the most part, he looks better in these pictures than he does in 90% of the pictures made in 1977. Most of the pictures are better than perhaps half of the ones made in 1976 and maybe even a few from 1975.

The very worst photos of 1977 (and all time) are from the first tour in February.

Those pictures look "decent" because they're taken from a distance... let's face it... what are we comparing these to? How bad he looked in February? By 1977, how "bad" or "good" Elvis "looked" depended on how heavily medicated he was on any given day... and this changed, as evidence of the many photos we have of him, on a daily basis. Some days he was more stoned and bloated than others... some days he was "strung out" on depressants and other days he was on uppers. He may looked "OK" on June 26 but his performance, IMO, was not even as good as the Rapid City or Lincoln shows. This whole conversation is subjective anyway... that's why these '77 discussions go for an eternity.

8)