All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:28 pm

Erhan - the film won an acedemy award, and 5 golden globes, and went on to gross more than $150m, revitalising the career of Kris Kristofferson in the process.

Furthermore, the film itself is almost secondary to what it represented to Elvis - a bit like a life ring to a drowning man.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:02 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Erhan - the film won an acedemy award, and 5 golden globes, and went on to gross more than $150m, revitalising the career of Kris Kristofferson in the process.

Furthermore, the film itself is almost secondary to what it represented to Elvis - a bit like a life ring to a drowning man.

You couldn't make it any clearer than that!
Talk about your turning points...

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:15 pm

Yes I know that's why I said overrated Film.
I prefer original film version.
Do you think that Elvis could do it.
Yes he could do it if he play as him self That's why He really didn't want to play and he blame to Colonel.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:25 pm

Erhan wrote:Yes I know that's why I said overrated Film.
I prefer original film version.
Yes he could do it if he play as him self That's why He really didn't want to play and he blame to Colonel.

This role might have saved his life, he needed that challenge, he would have been brilliant, motivated, hungry to re-invent his movie career while getting a break from touring. That offer was a god send, it's a shame that it never happened. It wasn't about playing himself, in 1975, to the public, drugs were never an issue as far as EP was concerned.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:04 am

People said the same thing all the way through Elvis' career. In 60, when he got out of the army, in 68, in 69, returning to concerts, in 73, with the Aloha show.

Yes, given the chance, and a new, fresh challenge, Elvis would certainly have risen to the occasion.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:23 am

But we know he couldn't do anything after Aloha
His drug abuse increase and begin to efect his performance and his ability
I don't only blame to Colonel going to world tour I don' belive that theorys about Colonel could get passport easly.
Elvis should get ridd of Colonel in 1973 but his drugs efect even his decisions.
His best and first challenge could be cleaning and geting in shape before 1975...

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:32 am

Erhan wrote:But we know he couldn't do anything after Aloha
I don't only blame to Colonel going to world tour I don' belive that theorys about Colonel could get passport easly.
Elvis should get ridd of Colonel in 1973 but his drugs efect even his decisions.
His best and first challenge could be cleaning and geting in shape before 1975...

Had he agreed to do A Star Is Born, he would have gotten right, and given that the movie most likely took several months to complete, the longer time frame as opposed to an upcoming tour, would have certainly helped.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:34 am

But we know he couldn't do anything after Aloha

I think that's a bit extreme! Elvis still gave good shows, when motivated, but they did come less often after 73. However, the problem after Aloha was a lack of a new challenge, which the movie may well have given him. Had that been successful, who knows what might have happened.

Wrong. When Elvis and the Colonel had their big fall out, which would have been the ideal time to get rid of the colonel, what made Elvis back down was the multimillion dollar bill the colonel presented them with. Elvis knew he had no way of paying it. So, you can perhaps blame his lifestyle, his spending, and lack of financial planning, but not necessarily the drugs for that one.

I know it's hard to believe, but not every decision, or event post 73 was entirely to do with drugs!

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:31 pm

A prime example of an extremely ignorant comment.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:55 pm

Rob wrote:

A prime example of an extremely ignorant comment.

Rob, your arrogant, "know-it-all" attitude is making us very mad.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:59 pm

I'll try to tone it down a little for the "sensitive" folks on the board.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:46 pm

Rob wrote:I'll try to tone it down a little for the "sensitive" folks on the board.

That's not enough. You have to admit you're wrong. Are you "man" enough?

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:58 pm

Hahaha..this is funny.
Great humor! LOL

:D

Thanks Rob & Doc.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:32 pm

Denman wrote:Thanks Rob & Doc.

We're here daily. Buy yourself a ticket and sit down in the very first row.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:35 pm

Rob wrote:
Denman wrote:Thanks Rob & Doc.

We're here daily. Buy yourself a ticket and sit down in the very first row.

Will Little Egypt come out struttin' wearin' nothin' but a button and a bow? Or will that be DJC? :shock:

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:59 pm

A Star Is Born would have been great for Elvis with Streisand ....I can just imagine Elvis playing a washed out singer and Her character (true to life?LOL) strong woman ,superb actress carries the film (and Elvis literally) in her back pocket$ and come Oscar Night or Grammy night Streisand says "thanks mom and do and cat, parakeet,neighbors, and is about to leave and walks a step before returning to the podium and while holding up high her award says Thanks Elvis!!!! And leaves with the trophy for the monster hit of the film EVERGREEN.

contracts

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:59 pm

If I remember rightly the Colonel hit him with a fee of $5 million for getting out of their contract. I don't think the issue was Elvis not having the money (although he probably didn't). I think it comes down to Elvis being surrounded by friends and family fulfilling jobs and not professionals. If Elvis had got good advice on Colonels claim and had the right support network he could have challenged this with a counter claim. There is no way the Colonel would have wanted this going to court because the world would have seen how he had abused his client and may well have ended up with nothing. Certainly in this era he would have been in big trouble. I seem to remember Billy Joel successfully suing his manager over a similar issue. He had basically been manipulated and stitched up in the contract. The Colonel had certainly done this - 50% of all tour money wasn't it? Selling the back catalogue. I can't remember the split on new record deals but I think it was round about 70/30. Not to mention the ridiculus publishing house.

Of course whether Elvis' amazing loyalty would ever have enabled him to do this even with the right support is debatible. He, wrongly IMO, attributed his success to the Colonel. I believe the reality is Elvis was talented enough to have been managed to stardom by lots of people. The Colonel was nothing more than a con man. A real manager would have nutured their client and paid attention to their artistic needs.

cheers Jamie

Re: contracts

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:16 pm

Jamie wrote:If I remember rightly the Colonel hit him with a fee of $5 million for getting out of their contract. I don't think the issue was Elvis not having the money (although he probably didn't). I think it comes down to Elvis being surrounded by friends and family fulfilling jobs and not professionals. If Elvis had got good advice on Colonels claim and had the right support network he could have challenged this with a counter claim. There is no way the Colonel would have wanted this going to court because the world would have seen how he had abused his client and may well have ended up with nothing. Certainly in this era he would have been in big trouble. I seem to remember Billy Joel successfully suing his manager over a similar issue. He had basically been manipulated and stitched up in the contract. The Colonel had certainly done this - 50% of all tour money wasn't it? Selling the back catalogue. I can't remember the split on new record deals but I think it was round about 70/30. Not to mention the ridiculus publishing house.

Of course whether Elvis' amazing loyalty would ever have enabled him to do this even with the right support is debatible. He, wrongly IMO, attributed his success to the Colonel. I believe the reality is Elvis was talented enough to have been managed to stardom by lots of people. The Colonel was nothing more than a con man. A real manager would have nutured their client and paid attention to their artistic needs.

cheers Jamie

Interesting thoughts Jamie. I have always felt that Elvis may have been a smart man in terms of personal direction... knowing what he liked and didn't like... but he had absolutely no business smarts. He counted on his management for way too many major decisions in his career... he was bullied by the Colonel. Unfortunately, he spent no time during his life trying to get the support he needed... he had no business professionals he could turn to. He spent all his time basically goofing-off with his friends when he wasn't working.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:31 pm

Elvis did fire Parker during the blow-up. Then Parker presented Vernon, who acted as Elvis' business manager, with the bill for 5 million. Vernon went to Elvis with the bill, and basically convinced him they couldn't afford to go through with the firing. What's so frustrating is that it seemed to stop right there. If only Elvis had brought the bill to a lawyer. Or did he?

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:46 pm

I t hought the bill was only for $2 million dollars instead of $5 million? :?: :?

Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:57 am

The Colonel was one sneaky son of a bitch.

But...

Jamie wrote:The Colonel had certainly done this - 50% of all tour money wasn't it? Selling the back catalogue. I can't remember the split on new record deals but I think it was round about 70/30. Not to mention the ridiculus publishing house.

On selling the back catalogue: This was almost certainly done at Elvis' behest in order to pay off Priscilla. The Colonel advised Elvis against doing it, but Elvis made it clear -- do this for me or else. The Colonel obliged.

Jamie wrote:Of course whether Elvis' amazing loyalty would ever have enabled him to do this even with the right support is debatible. He, wrongly IMO, attributed his success to the Colonel. I believe the reality is Elvis was talented enough to have been managed to stardom by lots of people. The Colonel was nothing more than a con man. A real manager would have nutured their client and paid attention to their artistic needs.

This is true, but I think Elvis also knew that The Colonel himself was loyal to him. Another manager may not have been. Elvis was knee-deep in a serious presciption medication problem when he "fired" Colonel Tom. I think he was inwardly ashamed and rightfully concerned that another manager would have a different take on things, and as we all know, Elvis didn't like rocking the boat, and given his denial over his health issues, it seems likely he wouldn't have wanted any major disruption. Elvis wanted people and things where he could see them. Firing The Colonel and seeking a replacement were two major hassles. And dangers. Elvis probably realised he was leaving himself vulnerable. The Colonel was Elvis' lackey as much as Elvis was his -- just in different ways.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:11 am

Cryogenic wrote:On selling the back catalogue: This was almost certainly done at Elvis' behest in order to pay off Priscilla. The Colonel advised Elvis against doing it, but Elvis made it clear -- do this for me or else. The Colonel obliged.

You've got this completely wrong. The March 1973 buy-out with RCA was driven by management and, when all was said and done, they got more of the money than the man who made the music!

It was a typically short-sighted evaluation of the worth of the Presley oeuvre from 1954-1973. Management felt they'd milked that cow. They were wrong, and screwed their artist yet again.

Of course, at the time, Elvis was convinced by the "colonel" they had worked another crafty deal out of RCA.

The settlement figures between Priscilla and Elvis would not be set until after the divorce was made final in October

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The settlement figures between Priscilla and Elvis would not be set until after the divorce was made final in October

I thought that Elvis was already feeling the pinch and that was why the deal was made?

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:20 pm

Cryogenic wrote:I thought that Elvis was already feeling the pinch and that was why the deal was made?

The deal was primarily made because management was trying to make hay while the sun was shining.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:01 pm

OK, Doc. Thanks.