All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fall ' 75

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:56 pm

In looking at pictures from Elvis' July tour and then the Dec Vegas stand, their is a major change in apprearance. To me, Dec. is when he started getting that "sick" look in his face. Beginning with the cancelled Vegas stand until Dec. in Vegas, what was going on with Elvis?

Thanks...

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm

Hi Mike,

here a poem written by Elvis and found back in a book its from late 75 or early 1976.

Read the psalm 38.. it made me sad

I sit here alone, thinking, watching how the moon’s light glows.

Meditating upon the garden water there below, I’ve only just begun to spend my life, to have some fun.

But as I think of all I’ve lost, the hurt hangs on; so slow to go.

I’m now full grown and called a man-but really, is that what I am?

My heart's so young, it feels like new. To think I’m getting old makes me very blue.

Lord, Just let me laugh and be the clown I am. Please give me dignity and grace-

So I can have the strength to face… These final days that seems to race…

Let me have some time to do all I can. So facing death won’t be such a task.

Please Lord, thy will be done, that’s all I ask.

(notice at the bottom of the letter Elvis has written "Psalms 38")

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:03 pm

Thanks Thekingstillrocks. I have never seen this poem.

fall 75

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:09 pm

... pass me a hanky. He would have been better of reading a vintage

Captain Marvel comic book, and get himself back together...

... having said that, the poem is a fake. And so is Captain Marvel.

Re: fall 75

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:38 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:the poem is a fake. And so is Captain Marvel.

I don't give a damn about the poem, but that's a terrible thing to say about Captain Marvel.

fall 75

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:55 pm

... :lol: Kool one, Rob!

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:30 pm

Ofcourse I can't know for sure but I copied it froma website with the original handwritten poem beside it.
It is a nice one and sounds upright.

I asume you find the few pages of a letter found at Hilton in 1976 also fake ?

That shows also a inside of his thoughs at that time... and meet with this poem.

The only 3 poems i know and heard are The robin, The JC and , the one used to introduce his walk a mile in my shoes version.

Why is it fake, Ger ?

Re: Fall ' 75

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:14 pm

mikecpa wrote:In looking at pictures from Elvis' July tour and then the Dec Vegas stand, their is a major change in apprearance. To me, Dec. is when he started getting that "sick" look in his face. Beginning with the cancelled Vegas stand until Dec. in Vegas, what was going on with Elvis?
Thanks...

I'd say a change was apparent even as early as August in Vegas...

Image Image

FALL '75

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:31 am

Did Elvis write the poem that he says before Walk a mile in my shoes? Also I never heard of the JC. Can someone put that one up, please.

Re: FALL '75

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:54 am

e76 wrote:Did Elvis write the poem that he says before Walk a mile in my shoes?

No, Elvis did not write the Men with Broken Hearts poem - neither did he wrote the Robin-poem / Priceless Gift birthday poem to Lisa / Vernon 76 - poem

e76 wrote:Also I never heard of the JC. Can someone put that one up, please.

When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was the hero of the comic book. I saw movies, and I was the hero in the movie. So every dream I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times...I learned very early in life that: 'Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend -- without a song.' So I keep singing a song. Goodnight. Thank you.

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:07 pm

Yes, the Aug. '75 pictures do start to show a decline. 1975, up until that point seemed like a good year for Elvis.

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:08 pm

I could be wrong but I believe it was written by Hank Williams.

You'll meet many just like me upon life's busy street
With shoulders stooped and heads bowed low and eyes that stare in defeat
Or souls that live within the past where sorrow plays all parts
Where a living death is all that's left for men with broken hearts
You have no right to be the judge to criticize and condemn
Just think but for the grace of God it would be you instead of him
One careless step a thoughtless deed and then the misery starts
And to those who weep death comes cheap these men with broken hearts
Oh so humble you should be when they come passing by
For it's written that the greatest men never get too big to cry
Some lose faith in love and life when sorrow shoots her darts
And with hope all gone they walk alone these men with broken hearts
You've never walked in that man's shoes or saw things through his eyes
Or stood and watched with helpless hands while the heart inside you dies
Some were paupers some were kings and some were masters of the arts
But in their shame they're all the same these men with broken hearts
Life sometimes can be so cruel that a heart will pray for death
God why must these living dead know pain with every breath
So help your brother along the road no matter where he starts
For the God that made you made them too these men with broken hearts

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:24 pm

e76 wrote:
Also I never heard of the JC. Can someone put that one up, please.

When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was the hero of the comic book. I saw movies, and I was the hero in the movie. So every dream I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times...I learned very early in life that: 'Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend -- without a song.' So I keep singing a song. Goodnight. Thank you.

There was an additional part, where Elvis acknowledged the other nominees. " These gentlemen over here, these are the type who care, who are dedicated. You realise that its not impossible that they could be building the kingdom of heaven. It's not too far fetched from reality".

He then continued with "I learned very early in life..."

It's a great speech.

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:01 pm

DarrylMac wrote:
e76 wrote:
Also I never heard of the JC. Can someone put that one up, please.

There was an additional part, where Elvis acknowledged the other nominees. " These gentlemen over here, these are the type who care, who are dedicated. You realise that its not impossible that they could be building the kingdom of heaven. It's not too far fetched from reality".

He then continued with "I learned very early in life..."

It's a great speech.

Yes. Basically lyrics of Roy Hamilton song if I remember well.

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:12 pm

mikecpa wrote:Yes, the Aug. '75 pictures do start to show a decline. 1975, up until that point seemed like a good year for Elvis.

Surely you don't mean 'health wise' ie. the Vegas stand and the April/ May tour! Presley was seen for the first time at his heaviest! In between the first and second tour Presley lost a considerably lot of weight. I don't know how he did it, but he did! The June tour Presley kicked arse!

Re: Fall ' 75

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:47 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
mikecpa wrote:In looking at pictures from Elvis' July tour and then the Dec Vegas stand, their is a major change in apprearance. To me, Dec. is when he started getting that "sick" look in his face. Beginning with the cancelled Vegas stand until Dec. in Vegas, what was going on with Elvis?
Thanks...

I'd say a change was apparent even as early as August in Vegas...

Image Image

In the gypsy suit photo I don't see a substantial change from the previous July tour. At most he's a little paunchier.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:45 am

elvis-fan wrote:

I could be wrong but I believe it was written by Hank Williams.

You'll meet many just like me upon life's busy street
With shoulders stooped and heads bowed low and eyes that stare in defeat
Or souls that live within the past where sorrow plays all parts
Where a living death is all that's left for men with broken hearts
You have no right to be the judge to criticize and condemn
Just think but for the grace of God it would be you instead of him
One careless step a thoughtless deed and then the misery starts
And to those who weep death comes cheap these men with broken hearts
Oh so humble you should be when they come passing by
For it's written that the greatest men never get too big to cry
Some lose faith in love and life when sorrow shoots her darts
And with hope all gone they walk alone these men with broken hearts
You've never walked in that man's shoes or saw things through his eyes
Or stood and watched with helpless hands while the heart inside you dies
Some were paupers some were kings and some were masters of the arts
But in their shame they're all the same these men with broken hearts
Life sometimes can be so cruel that a heart will pray for death
God why must these living dead know pain with every breath
So help your brother along the road no matter where he starts
For the God that made you made them too these men with broken hearts

You are correct. I'm trying to find out when Hank wrote it but I've not had any luck finding any info online.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:13 am

He look ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYWJ92PNems

He looks sick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tlEREUeKoQ

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:45 am

The first part of the second clip is from November 76 and he again looks okay, but the second part is from June/July 76 and he looks quite awful
Rick

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:00 am

thanks for the info I will add it...

Answers For You!

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:21 am

mikecpa wrote:Beginning with the cancelled Vegas stand until Dec. in Vegas, what was going on with Elvis?

Drug abuse and depression was what was going on. Note: this was a time period where his management played a strong hand in crushing two big dreams: securing a co-lead in the remake of "A Star Is Born" -- it was a huge hit when released a year later -- and setting up a much-desired and potentially lucrative tour of Europe.

e76 wrote:Did Elvis write the poem that he says before Walk a mile in my shoes? Also I never heard of the JC. Can someone put that one up, please.

As noted, the poem Elvis quotes is from a Hank Williams song, "Men With Broken Hearts," taped in December 1950 and issued on MGM 10932, under his pseudonym, "Luke the Drifter."

The January 1971 Jaycees acceptance speech is derived from "Without A Song." First heard many years ago in the musical "Great Day," it's been recorded by all sorts of artists, from Frank Sinatra to Sonny Rollins.

It's likely Elvis learned it from the version cut by great R&B singer Billy Ekstine, although Perry Como issued a live version from the International Hotel in Las Vegas in June 1970, which might've caught Presley's ear as well.

Re: Answers For You!

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:As noted, the poem Elvis quotes is from a Hank Williams song, "Men With Broken Hearts," taped in December 1950 and issued on MGM 10932, under his pseudonym, "Luke the Drifter."

DJC,

Not to derail the thread but thank you for this info...I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything on when this piece was written.
Last edited by Tony Trout on Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Answers For You!

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:26 am

Tony Trout wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:As noted, the poem Elvis quotes is from a Hank Williams song, "Men With Broken Hearts," taped in December 1950 and issued on MGM 10932, under his pseudonym, "Luke the Drifter."

DJC,

Not to derail the thread but thannk you for this info...I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything on when this piece was written.

Trust the doc -- he knows!

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:27 pm

Drug abuse and depression was what was going on. Note: this was a time period where his management played a strong hand in crushing two big dreams: securing a co-lead in the remake of "A Star Is Born" -- it was a huge hit when released a year later -- and setting up a much-desired and potentially lucrative tour of Europe.

Exactly right Doc. A Star is Born was the role Elvis had been waiting nearly 20 years for - a serious role, where he could prove himself as an actor, and revitalise himself, and his career. When you listen to the Elvis Monologue, on the EAP box, and you hear Elvis talk about doing a serious role, and that he felt it would come, in time, it must have been crushing for him to have that snatched away from him, or perhaps more accurately, to let it be snatched away from him. Add to that, as you say, problems with depression, and his drug use, escalating, it's safe to say Elvis' world was closing in on him, and he probably felt his future held nothing much to look forward to. The Lisa Marie, various girlfriends, eye surgery were all distractions during 75, but 76 proved to be everything Elvis probably dreaded - a monotonous, gruelling series of one nighters, in increasingly insignificant venues, for little other reason than he was desperate for the money.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:57 pm

A Star Is Born is very Overrated Film I don't think Elvis role was so importand I think he couldn't play due to healt reason He couldn't even stay in studio for recordings How could he stay in movie set?
That must be his Chance Of Habits times that's all IMHO...