New FTD Unchained Melody.

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Ton Bruins
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Ton Bruins »

[quote="JeroenNL"]I felt sad listening to the first part of the cd.

Elvis is struggeling with his voice and he really tries but, sad to say, he doens't make it :cry: . Hoarse and short of breath, It is clear he shouldn't have been on stage that night. It even made me wonder why Ernst has decided to release this :? If this ends up in the 'wrong' hands, it could be used endlessly by people to show everyone how 'bad' he was in his last year. :(

Jeroen, we agree that Elvis was in trouble here. Weak voice, hoarse and out of breath. But I don't agree on your comment that this CD should not end up in the "wrong " hands, because I don't care a f*** who will listen to this. The Elvis "haters" will say that he could not sing anyway if it was 1970 or 1977....besides...it's just a part of his story...the truth story. Nothing wrong with that. Let everybody say he was bad in 1977. I will say it even though I am a huge fan of his voice in 1977. (most of the time) But this february 1977 tour is just very bad. Thank god though we now have that great live version of "Where No One Stands Alone".

deadringer
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by deadringer »

JLGB wrote:
deadringer wrote:I suppose this Mrs Reidel, master of careless mastering? I do not have it yet but of course it should be corrected if it was on tape. It can be also mastering error. Do you remember Ann Arbor tracks HELP ME, UNCHAINED MELODY on SPRING TOURS 77? There was a lot of very strange clicks and the result was awful. I tried to remove these clicks and it took me just 1 or 2 minutes. Also similar problem can be found on Pittsburgh 76 FTD and on bunch of others.
I thought it was a buzz like electrical sounding...
Not really. It can be removed with no big problem. It is possible that this distortion was on tape in one channel but because I know well which errors Reidel did on some CDs (listen to SHAKE A HAND or UNTIL IT'S TIME on SUNSET 6363!!!) so I can say with high probability that it was "careless Reidel" again.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

the montgomery show is the best relased from this tour so far. the worst would be cajun?.. How do you rank the new charlotte 20 show? what about trying to get to you and release me?

Iván

La voz del Rey

Thomas
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Thomas »

Now go figure. We got a brand new soundboard CD with an unreleased show and all you guys can do is pick on the sound engineer.

I haven't received my CD yet but I'm sure it's gonna be GREAT in every regard.

Topic author
Ton Bruins

Post by Ton Bruins »

Thomas wrote:Now go figure. We got a brand new soundboard CD with an unreleased show and all you guys can do is pick on the sound engineer.

I haven't received my CD yet but I'm sure it's gonna be GREAT in every regard.

Don't be too sure, Thomas. :lol:

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

frus75 wrote: the worst would be cajun?..
Huh... :shock:

I disagree Frus..

I kinda like the St Petersburgh show.
Also the sound is better that other Feb shows..

Cheers, RJ

Topic author
Ton Bruins

Post by Ton Bruins »

Robert wrote:
frus75 wrote: the worst would be cajun?..
Huh... :shock:

I disagree Frus..

I kinda like the St Petersburgh show.
Also the sound is better that other Feb shows..

Cheers, RJ

All the boots from this february 1977 tour have a better sound then this new FTD.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

Ton Bruins wrote: All the boots from this february 1977 tour have a better sound then this new FTD.
But isn't the majority of this release aside from the bonus tracks unreleased? Isn't that supposed to be the point?

Also, why would anyone be shocked that Elvis' vocal performance is subpar? It is a show from 1977 isn't it? This release isn't supposed to showcase a "great" show, it falls in line with FTD's philosophy to release shows from every tour/vegas/tahoe engagement. FTD should be commended for releasing this title, especially considering Ernst isn't a big fan of 1977.

Topic author
Ton Bruins

Post by Ton Bruins »

midnightx wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote: All the boots from this february 1977 tour have a better sound then this new FTD.
But isn't the majority of this release aside from the bonus tracks unreleased? Isn't that supposed to be the point?

Also, why would anyone be shocked that Elvis' vocal performance is subpar? It is a show from 1977 isn't it? This release isn't supposed to showcase a "great" show, it falls in line with FTD's philosophy to release shows from every tour/vegas/tahoe engagement. FTD should be commended for releasing this title, especially considering Ernst isn't a big fan of 1977.

Oh yes you're surely have a point there...remember I don't blame the FTD label that Elvis' vocal performance is subpar. There is nothing wrong with their philosophy to release shows from every tour. I enjoy that very much. Meanwhile there is nothing wrong to be critical about the sound and Elvis' performance, I think. That's why this is a forum.

JEFF d
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by JEFF d »

Is Unchained Melody really the worst sound wise of the soundboards released from this tour?? :? I thought the Montgomery show was a pretty good show with decent sound.

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

deadringer wrote:
JLGB wrote:
deadringer wrote:I suppose this Mrs Reidel, master of careless mastering? I do not have it yet but of course it should be corrected if it was on tape. It can be also mastering error. Do you remember Ann Arbor tracks HELP ME, UNCHAINED MELODY on SPRING TOURS 77? There was a lot of very strange clicks and the result was awful. I tried to remove these clicks and it took me just 1 or 2 minutes. Also similar problem can be found on Pittsburgh 76 FTD and on bunch of others.
I thought it was a buzz like electrical sounding...
Not really. It can be removed with no big problem. It is possible that this distortion was on tape in one channel but because I know well which errors Reidel did on some CDs (listen to SHAKE A HAND or UNTIL IT'S TIME on SUNSET 6363!!!) so I can say with high probability that it was "careless Reidel" again.
Thanks.

deadringer

Post by deadringer »

Well I think that you expect a little bit too much from this kind of live stuff.

Wake up, it is 1977, it is dying sick man on drugs, singing on stage. A man who do not care about his r'n'r roots anymore. A man who can - ocassionally - pull out full blooded rendition of some son like My Way, Unchained Melody, Hurt or How Great Thou Art ... but his shows are no longer comparable to these from early 70s or even from 1975.

But ... I confess that I like Elvis 1977 stuff. I like it much more than majority of 1976 soundboards. These recordings are fascinating to me. Maybe I am masochist but I enjoy to listen these shows in spite (or maybe because of it?) of what I wrote above.

About the sound... I can't judge Charlotte 20.02.77 as I do not have this FTD yet but I have all other soundboards released from this tour. Technically they are much better than 1975 ones and sometimes these tapes are (some kind of) stereo too.

Topic author
Ton Bruins

Post by Ton Bruins »

JEFF d wrote:Is Unchained Melody really the worst sound wise of the soundboards released from this tour?? :? I thought the Montgomery show was a pretty good show with decent sound.

JEFF d
EAP fan
Jeff, to my ears Elvis is too much in the back and the instruments too much up front but maybe it's just because of Elvis' bad performance overall.

deadringer

Post by deadringer »

Ton Bruins wrote:
JEFF d wrote:Is Unchained Melody really the worst sound wise of the soundboards released from this tour?? :? I thought the Montgomery show was a pretty good show with decent sound.

JEFF d
EAP fan
Jeff, to my ears Elvis is too much in the back and the instruments too much up front but maybe it's just because of Elvis' bad performance overall.
You mean Elvis was mixed down because his voice was bad? i do not think so. This tape is mono or (originally) binaural at best. No room to mix anything.

Topic author
Ton Bruins

Post by Ton Bruins »

No I didn't meant that. I just meant that maybe it sounds the way I discribed before because Elvis' voice is that weak...

deadringer

Post by deadringer »

Ton Bruins wrote:No I didn't meant that. I just meant that maybe it sounds the way I discribed before because Elvis' voice is that weak...
Well maybe. Did you compared Elvis voice on 13.02.77 with 14.02.77 ??? An interesting comparison.

Topic author
Ton Bruins

Post by Ton Bruins »

Yes I did. 13-02-1977 dramatic and 14-02-1977 good...strange, isn't it ?

Robert

Post by Robert »

deadringer wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:No I didn't meant that. I just meant that maybe it sounds the way I discribed before because Elvis' voice is that weak...
Well maybe. Did you compared Elvis voice on 13.02.77 with 14.02.77 ??? An interesting comparison.
I think St Petersburgh is the better show. It's my favourite.
But the sound is different also.. that makes a difference.

It is strange Elvis voice didn't recover during this tour.
But as someone mentioned, he did manage to pull of amazing vocalizing during Hurt and other's....

Robert

Post by Robert »

I wonder why Jerry Scheff's bass was not recorded.
It sounds like his sounds were picked up by the other mics on stage.

Because there was intention to overdubb anyway?

Listen to the (soundwise amazing) March recording of Alexandria.
No Jerry.

Same on the Spring tours FTD.
All these tracks would have sounded more powerful with a smooth bass line.

The bass is essential folks.
Without Jerry a concert comes accross less powerful.

Did anyone ever notice????

Thomas
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Thomas »

What I notice is:

FTD brings us a fantastic new show from their vaults. I was excited all the way and still am to get their new release. They are doing a very cool thing: They bring us a show from a difficult period in Elvis' career. I am sure it costs them quite an effort to do so everytime this happens.

And what is the reaction? The new CD is being goofed on before anybody has even listened to it until the end. And only two days after, the thread is dissapering to nowhere.

I really don't like it. This is GREAT STUFF guys, GREAT STUFF!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Sooooo.....who actually mastered it?

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

Robert wrote:I wonder why Jerry Scheff's bass was not recorded.
It sounds like his sounds were picked up by the other mics on stage.

Because there was intention to overdubb anyway?

Listen to the (soundwise amazing) March recording of Alexandria.
No Jerry.

Same on the Spring tours FTD.
All these tracks would have sounded more powerful with a smooth bass line.

The bass is essential folks.
Without Jerry a concert comes accross less powerful.

Did anyone ever notice????
I didn't notice my friend, I'll clean my ears and take a listen this afternoon...

Iván

La voz del Rey

Topic author
Ton Bruins

Post by Ton Bruins »

[quote="Thomas"]What I notice is:

FTD brings us a fantastic new show from their vaults. I was excited all the way and still am to get their new release. They are doing a very cool thing: They bring us a show from a difficult period in Elvis' career. I am sure it costs them quite an effort to do so everytime this happens.

And what is the reaction? The new CD is being goofed on before anybody has even listened to it until the end. And only two days after, the thread is dissapering to nowhere.

Take it as a man , Thomas... :lol:

Marc
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Marc »

Matthew wrote:Sooooo.....who actually mastered it?
Lene Reidel

enjoy your day

deadringer

Post by deadringer »

Marc wrote:
Matthew wrote:Sooooo.....who actually mastered it?
Lene Reidel
As expected :-(