All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:58 pm

Greg wrote,

"You Gave Me A Mountain" was always something he pulled off, or so it seems but the "ummpff" factor here is much more apparent. Off the top of my head, I can't recall any bad versions of this song.

Not true. The versions from 1976 are generally poor, especially the Tucson one.

Per

Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:54 am

thekingisalive wrote:Greg wrote,

"You Gave Me A Mountain" was always something he pulled off, or so it seems but the "ummpff" factor here is much more apparent. Off the top of my head, I can't recall any bad versions of this song.

Per

Despite of a number of 1977 soundboard recordings that have appeared for me the versions to beat are still the ones Elvis performed for the "Elvis in concert" special. Things like "How great thou art", "My way", "You gave me a mountain", or "Hurt" on there are truly masterful performances that remain unsurpassed and prove that Elvis could still turn it on when he wanted to. Most other '77 versions of these songs that have been released since simply pale in comparison. This was his last moment to shine and he knew it...

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:23 am

I agree with you, thenexte. "Mountain" from EiC is a true masterpiece and quite possibly the best live version of the song. "Trying to Get to You" is amazing also. Elvis was still the King in 1977, no doubt about it.

Per

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:37 am

"Mountain" was always performed dedicated in '77.
His voice perfectly suited this song by then.
I prefer any '77 version over the Aloha one.

Somehow the version from Providence'77 is stuck in my mind.. don't know why :?

Some '74 versions are also great.. the spoken parts are sincere.

Can't stand the Cincin(n)at(t)i'76 one.
He makes fun of Larry Londin..
but it screwed the song.. :x

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:01 am

Robert, that avatar of yours is offensive. Would you mind changing it to something more in tune with this board, please?

Per

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:14 am

Per

Well, it was an opinion, but I was hoping someone might challenge me on that. I haven't listened to the '76 ones in awhile but I still recall that the song didn't over-tax him the way too many of his '50s rockers did it.

thenexte wrote: Despite of a number of 1977 soundboard recordings that have appeared for me the versions to beat are still the ones Elvis performed for the "Elvis in concert" special. Things like "How great thou art", "My way", "You gave me a mountain", or "Hurt" on there are truly masterful performances that remain unsurpassed and prove that Elvis could still turn it on when he wanted to. Most other '77 versions of these songs that have been released since simply pale in comparison. This was his last moment to shine and he knew it...

I agree, thenexte, about those '77 tracks. But the "Aloha" version of "Mountain" is great too (so was the "original" '72 version, to my surprise)...

And also, for anyone who can appreciate the power of Elvis' voice on those tracks on "EIC" will also find that the "Unchained Melody" FTD has very nice versions of "How Great Thou Art," "My Way," and "Hurt" in particular. The improved sound (versus the early '90s "EIC" CD) alone is a recommendation.

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:40 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:

Well, it was an opinion, but I was hoping someone might challenge me on that. I haven't listened to the '76 ones in awhile but I still recall that the song didn't over-tax him the way too many of his '50s rockers did it.

True Greg. But that don't really matter. The fact is it was a song Elvis obviously felt was close to him personally...which would explain why he performed it for the last five years of his life..and most of the time it was an awesome performance. It is a really great song, a favorite of mine. The EIC version was done fantastic..it and the versions from Desert Storm and Dragonheart are my favorites...theres just something about the version where Elvis would do the spoken versions"...she took my reason for livin"...that will bring a chill down your spine.

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:19 pm

I know it was an oppinion, Greg, and you’re entitled to it, but I think we both know that Elvis wasn’t a particular great singer in 1976. His voice sounds like that of an old man. His voice often cracked on "You Gave Me a Mountain" in 1976. He can’t even carry the tune properly in Tucson. For that matter, listen to "Love Letters" from 1966 or 1970, then play the 1976 versions. It’s unbearable most of the time. "And I Love You So" is even worse; it’s torture. And to think he sang it so beautifully in 1975! It sure went downhill fast. For some reason he was a better vocalist in 1977 than in 1976.

Per

Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:08 pm

thekingisalive wrote:Robert, that avatar of yours is offensive. Would you mind changing it to something more in tune with this board, please?

Per

Per, you feel offended by a little kid...?
It's football related and believe it or not, considered to be funny..

Hope you'll look at it differently from now on.

Always look at the bright side of life, RJ

KID

Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:26 pm

Looks like the kid has been brought up wrongly! Too much seriousness in football these days. It's 'win at all costs', whilst the players get wadfulls of cash and the 'fans' get ripped off. No wonder more sports fans are turning to cricket and rugby.

Re: KID

Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:28 pm

TONY wrote: It's 'win at all costs', whilst the players get wadfulls of cash and the 'fans' get ripped off.

Off topic discussion... but I agree with you on that one :wink:

Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:08 pm

Hope my avatar is not offensive too :-)

About Elvis voice is 76-77. It is not as simple as some think. There are many fantastic VOCAL performances from Elvis during April-September 1976 too. Two shows from Largo in June for example. Hurt was NEVER performed any better than there. Or shows in Seattle 04-26-76, Pine Bluff in September.

The statement that Elvis had serious vocal problems during 76 (compared to 77) is simply untrue. One can say that his voice sounded bad during several shows (i.e. Atlanta 6.6.76 or Hampton 1.8.76) but the reason was obvious - Elvis was hoarse due to some kind of sore throat. It was NOT related to drugs too. And again, to think that Elvis voice was better in 1977 than 1976 is naive. It was very similar - often tired, too much "sweet", his vibrato was often unbearable etc... it was not better than 76.

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:34 pm

The fact that it’s a kid makes it even worse, Robert. A five-year-old hooligan. No wonder the world of football is going straight to hell. I wouldn’t want to meet that kid’s father. In light of what recently happened in Italy, I would have changed that avatar if I were you. Just a friendly suggestion.

Deadringer, your avatar is a matter of to be or not to be. I like it. And, yes, Elvis had an outstanding voice also in 1976, but how often did he really get to display that voice? Not often, if you ask me. My point was that in general Elvis was a poor vocalist in 1976. He was somewhat better in 1977, or perhaps it’s just the professional recordings that make the difference. I do not like "My Way" is 1976; it’s weak. In 1977, it was almost always performed excellently. The early live versions are great too.

Per

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:05 pm

thekingisalive wrote:The fact that it’s a kid makes it even worse, Robert. A five-year-old hooligan. No wonder the world of football is going straight to hell. I wouldn’t want to meet that kid’s father. In light of what recently happened in Italy, I would have changed that avatar if I were you. Just a friendly suggestion. Per

Per, I do respect your opinion, but I really don't like the fact that you are linking my avatar to the trouble in Italy. Football is emotion, this is a fun picture (it's well known in Holland) and this has nothing to do with severe riots resulting in a dead policeman. Lighten up man.

However, if there are some more board members offended, I will change it of course...

Now, back to the topic please.

Cheers, RJ

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:32 pm

Robert wrote:
thekingisalive wrote:The fact that it’s a kid makes it even worse, Robert. A five-year-old hooligan. No wonder the world of football is going straight to hell. I wouldn’t want to meet that kid’s father. In light of what recently happened in Italy, I would have changed that avatar if I were you. Just a friendly suggestion. Per

Per, I do respect your opinion, but I really don't like the fact that you are linking my avatar to the trouble in Italy. Football is emotion, this is a fun picture (it's well known in Holland) and this has nothing to do with severe riots resulting in a dead policeman. Lighten up man.

However, if there are some more board members offended, I will change it of course...

Now, back to the topic please.

Cheers, RJ

I only get offended if the two fingered salute is used! :lol:

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:36 pm

thekingisalive wrote:The fact that it’s a kid makes it even worse, Robert. A five-year-old hooligan. No wonder the world of football is going straight to hell. I wouldn’t want to meet that kid’s father. In light of what recently happened in Italy, I would have changed that avatar if I were you. Just a friendly suggestion.
Per

It's off the topic, but I like this little boy, he's funny :D
Maybe it's not 'politicly correct', but 'politicly correct' are not the 'Borat' movie or 'The Brightest Star On Sunset Blvd' cd's too... and we all like them :lol:
Ok, back to topic..

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:43 pm

I had forgotten about that tragegy in Italy, and that alone is a case to be made that everyone needs to calm down when it comes to sport. I think it's kind of funny but in reality, the lowering of the bar like that has led to an overall vulgarity in society. I can't say I was ever offended by it, though. At first glance, it's rather cute, but if one thinks things through, you can come to a different conclusion.

Back to Elvis:

thekingisalive wrote:I know it was an opinion, Greg, and you’re entitled to it, but I think we both know that Elvis wasn’t a particular great singer in 1976. His voice sounds like that of an old man.

Per, it's just that you expressed your opinion as if it's fact (maybe it's a language thing) but there's still a subjective element when discussing whether or not a vocal works . I don't think one can dismiss '76 out of hand. There' s much too wade through and it in some ways was his worst year vocally - if you carve out the many highlights. :lol:

I tend to agree with Deadringer about Elvis' '76 voice. It's too much of a blanket statement to dismiss that whole year (let alone December) and if anyone has heard the '76 concerts, it's deadie.

That said, I know what is meant about the his sound in '76. I broke out the version of "You Gave Me A Mountain" from '76's "OLD TIMES ARE NOT FORGOTTEN" (Tuscaloosa, August 30th) and I see now what TheKingIsAlive means.

But that said, as Brad points out, "Mountain" is such a stirring song (even the first few notes always get me) and it's all about hanging on and perservering through adversity. So even when he is vocally weaker, he still pulls it off as it's in the spirit of the song. The mood of the song is not exactly about an exhuberant "I'm On Top of the World" mood that one hears in "King of the Whole Wide World" and "Follow That Dream."

These same inspired moments where he sings in such a way as to tell the audience, "I'm down but not out yet" are all over the new FTD "Unchained Melody."

Now if only he had finished "My Wish Came True"!

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:47 pm

overall i tend to agree mostly with deadringers comments. i.e. their are times in 76' when Elvis's voice was spot on and most of the july/august tour or late august he does NOT sound good and in early august it was a cold to blame.my way also it better performed in 77', but i would argue that was because he was 'rehearsing' during his later 1976 performances and sung so often in 1977 he was VERY familiar with it and the certainty of his performance.AND I LOVE YOU so i have heard performed great or badly through all the years 75-77, sometimes spot on other times not or as a joke-like 1975 'how i lived till now married to a cow'-vegas 75. :roll:

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:49 pm

Joe Car wrote:

I only get offended if the two fingered salute is used! :lol:[/quote]

- I get offended by whole fist only.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:24 pm

Got this CD a couple of days ago.

To my amazement, I thoroughly enjoyed it - Elvis was in a good mood plus we get things like Moody Blue and Where No One Stands Alone. There are still some amazing vocals and Elvis's piano on Blueberry Hill is a delight to hear - a-la Change Of Habit but with extra fills.

I say this as someone who thinks that 75% of the soundboards are poor, performance-wise by Elvis. After 1972 he was anything but a consummate performer. Sloppy would describe most of his shows.

Love the new American Trilogy FTD, too. Nice to hear an early, committed performance of Until It's Time For You To Go.

Steve Morse

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:22 pm

I can assure you that among the vast majority of U.S. forum members, we had no idea what your avatar was about.

And now that we know it has something to do with soccer (or "football," as you call it), I can assure you that the vast majority of us don't care enough to bother being offended.

Carry on.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:18 am

Steve Morse wrote:Nice to hear an early, committed performance of Until It's Time For You To Go.

It was also his first live performance of the song. I reckon you can't get any earlier than that.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:14 pm

Steve Morse wrote:
After 1972 he was anything but a consummate performer. Sloppy would describe most of his shows.

Sloppy seems to best describe the thinking that led to this wholly unjustified conclusion.

It is nonsense to suggest that the majority of Elvis' shows after 1972 were anything less than professional and entertaining with some remarkable performances.

Indeed you make the point yourself by informing us of your enjoyment of an entirely standard show for 1977.

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:53 pm

Mike S,

We Elvis fans can appreciate the style and humour in Elvis's performances, even when he was not at his best, physically and medically. Also, there was a large visual element to the shows and a "presence" if you were there in person (which I never was).

However, the acid test would be to play these FTD soundboards to a music fan of that era (i.e. my generation - I'm 59). I wouldn't want to do that with many soundboards. OK, the sound is not 100%, but with Elvis's throw-away performances of the old hits, private jokes and (to make a point, here) occasional over-the-top vocal performances, they would not be at all impressed.

As a committed fan, I have listened to Elvis for 44 years. I would never have believed in the 70's (at the time) that Elvis would have put on a show anything less than "perfect" in an Elvis way. I have been rather disillusioned during the FTD era to find out that the truth was somewhat different.

Heck, I still love the guy, still smile at his on-stage humour etc. but that's because I know the story. Hence I enjoyed Unchained Melody - partly because I hadn't listened to a soundboard for a few months.

However, being objective, I still say that the Elvis show - and it was Elvis at fault - became sloppy. He became lazy in terms of his repertoire. There was plenty of Elvis humour in 1970, and Elvis had a unique style and re-invented himself several times over the years. But in 1970 the performances, though relaxed, were tight and professional. Unfortunately that did not maintain, and there are dozens of reasons to try and understand why.

Sometimes, we have to "wake up and smell the coffee".

Just my opinion.

Steve Morse

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:37 pm

Steve,

No disrespect intended, but your previous post was so misleading and unfair I felt it needed a response.

Fistly, you are certainly correct that any live recording can only provide a fraction of the whole concert experience which is yet another reason to tread carefully before passing an extreme judgement.

Regarding your suggested test to impress an outsider (for a performance after 1972), I would be quite happy to play Aloha From Hawaii (1973) or indeed Live In Memphis (1974), to illustrate his ability as an unparalleled singer and wonderfully charismatic showman. I should also point out that I have heard better shows from these and other periods on bootleg releases.

But the main problem I have with your stated conclusion is your use of the word 'sloppy,' which in my opinion is entirely inappropriate and demeaning to Elvis' reputation. Whilst it is true that his repertoire did not vary greatly for the most part, this does not give grounds to describe most of his shows after 1972 as sloppy, as you did in your original post.

That the pace of his shows and his personal energy levels appeared to decline after 1972 was perhaps inevitable, as unfortunately we all age and Elvis' medication had its effect. However, there is no denying that the vast majority of his shows were professional, entertaining and appreciated by huge audiences wherever he played. No way could they ever be described as sloppy.

I appreciate that you are only expressing an opinion (as I am), but my concern is that your unchecked conclusion may give grounds for others to form or justify their prejudices towards his later live performances which would be a shame.

Perhaps you do feel the need to 'wake up and smell the coffee,' but please don't misrepresent it to others by describing it as tea!!