All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

New FTD Unchained Melody.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:09 am

I had my copy today. And I have to say Elvis was in trouble during this february 1977 tour. He had a very good short tour in december 1976 but now only a few months later he sounds tired, hoarse, uninspired and during many of the songs on this release in Charlotte February 20, 1977 he sounds out of breath. As he stated during his February 14, 1977 show in St. Petersburg : "So, a couple of us...are kinda hoarse because of the weather, I got icicles in my throat but, uh, you know, we're going to do the best show we can". This statement can be heard on the bootleg "Cajun Tornado". And I can only confirm that Elvis still got icicles in his throat in Charlotte february 20, 1977. Just listen how he tries to sing "Unchained Melody", "Hurt" or "How Great Thou Art". He tries hard but it is just not good to my ears. Out of breath, hoarse. It seems that he almost can't make it to the end of the songs. The first tour of 1977 started in Miami and showed an artistically reduced Elvis compared to the december 1976 tour. "Unchained Melody" was performed only in Miami and in three other cities (Charlotte, Montgomery, Savannah) during this tour. Elvis had suddenly lost some of the motivation for performing a comparatively new, demanding song.
Also I think that the sound mix (I am not an expert) of this release is not that good to my ears. Elvis is way in the back and the instruments way up front. But maybe it is just that Elvis has not the strenght in his voice, I don't really know.
Elvis really tries to keep this show on a high level but he succeeded only partially I think. When his next tour started March 23, 1977 it only got worse....
Last edited by Ton Bruins on Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:13 am

But isn't it great that the recording was made available for us to criticize?

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:14 am

Rob wrote:But isn't it great that the recording was made available to criticize?

Don't get me wrong Rob. I don't blame the FTD label. It's great to have. What is your opinion on this one ? :lol:

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:15 am

Just so's we understand.

Mine is not here yet. I'm still in the waiting mode.

Re: New FTD Unchained Melody.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:19 am

Ton Bruins wrote:As he stated during his February 14, 1977 show in St. Petersburg : "So, a couple of us...are kinda hoarse because of the weather, I got icicles in my throat[."]

Now that's funny!

And also sad.

Elvis must have known he wasn't really performing as he could and should have.

He had a personal crash between the New Year's Eve show and his return in February. The disparity is quite glaring.

But you have to take your hats off to the FTD team for bringing out another piece of the puzzle.

Ton Bruins wrote:Elvis really tries to keep this show on a high level but he succeeded only partially I think. When his next tour started March 23, 1977 it only got worse....

At least there were still a few high spots to come. Very few...

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:26 am

The FTD label is just great ! And yes a few highlights were still to come, you are right. But it's only that I think that Elvis was really in trouble here and from then on it was straight down...and that after a great december 1976 tour...sad...

Unchained Melody

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:30 am

Ton Bruins wrote:
It's great to have.

This is emphatically true and the only opinion that counts for us as fans.

After all, the fact that Elvis wasn't at his best at this point is hardly news---doesn't stop it being fascinating to listen to though.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:31 am

Ton Bruins wrote:...and that after a great december 1976 tour...sad...

Hopefully "New Year's Eve" wont be considered FTDs representation of a show from the December tour and we will get a soundboard from one of the other nights sometime.

Re: Unchained Melody

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:32 am

Mike S wrote:Ton Bruins wrote:
It's great to have.

This is emphatically true and the only opinion that counts for us as fans.

After all, the fact that Elvis wasn't at his best at this point is hardly news---doesn't stop it being fascinating to listen to though.

Agree, it is fascinating, but still I just wanted to make a statement.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:35 am

Matthew wrote:

Hopefully "New Year's Eve" wont be considered FTDs representation of a show from the December tour and we will get a soundboard from one of the other nights sometime.

Agree 100%...Atlanta, Birmingham, Dallas, Wichita, Pittsburgh great shows.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:59 am

Hi, Ton, nice short review! Can you compare the sound on FTD cd to Fort Baxter's 'Moody Blue And Other Great Performances' cd (also in Charlotte, a day after)? That bootleg sounds great, I think.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:14 am

The sound on "Moody Blue And Other Great Performances" is better in my opinion. Even Elvis is a slight better....but not really good...

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:49 am

Well I was at both shows that weekend...I can't wait to hear what I've probably forgotten....I do remember however, someone giving Elvis a picture of Lisa at the very end of the show, as he look at it he sang only these words" My Wish Came True" .....Thanks FTD !

Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:03 am

Elvis sings those words, which is a nice surprise. I think it’s cool to have that song as a one-liner. Also, it’s wonderful to hear the attempt on "Moody Blue". I’ve wanted to hear it ever since I acquired Moody Blue and Other Great Performances. Also, it’s interesting that it took thirty years to get the first complete official 1977 concert. Complete in this context means everything that was recorded on stage that night. Now, finally, the FTD label has come full circle in terms of representing all the concert years. It took eight years, but it was worth the wait. Unchained Melody is a great release. It’s just too bad we don’t get more of the amazing fooling around on stage that took place during certain songs as heard on bootleg. I’m thinking of the "play fight" with pianist Tony Brown during "Blueberry Hill" and "Teddy Bear / Don’t Be Cruel". Then there is the great moment when Elvis is given a sweater to Lisa and decides to give it to Kathy, then this guy in the orchestra starts playing that strip show music; this is the greatest moment during the February 16 show, with the exception of the surprise performance of "Where No One Stands Alone".

Per

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:55 am

Friends, over at ElvisNews, some people complained about some kind of noise during "Where No One Stands Alone" that is not heard on the bootleg. What is your take on this? Are these people wrong?

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:04 am

No, those people are right. There is "scratching" sound during "Where No One Stands Alone". Just a few seconds before Elvis starts the song you can hear that noice....
Last edited by Ton Bruins on Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:14 am

Is there a faultness FTD,after all? :D :wink:

Not too many,i'm afraid...

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:35 am

Matthew wrote:

Agreed Matthew.
For those of us who already have Hot Winter and Burning In Birmingham, then Witchta would make a great release.
Athough, I wouldn't mind the stereo release (which exists if LP Vol.6 is anything to go by) of Birmingham.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:10 pm

After Hound Dog Elvis replies: "I like to thank you for all those nice gifts and everything you gave us. Honey, what is that ? Oh, that's a picture of me and my mother and father when I was two years old. <laughs> I was a merry child and had visions singing in a gospel quartet". And then he sings one line My Wish Came True....."Is it Valentine's day, What? Easter..What ?... I just work here I don't know"....

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:15 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:No, those people are right. There is "scratching" sound during "Where No One Stands Alone".

No surprise..
FTD manages to produce worse audio than our fellow bootleggers..

About Elvis voice..
Elvis couln't help it he was hoarse during that tour.
Should he have cancelled? Get real folks :?

It is obvious however he's out of breath, and that is a little sad..
But he fully manages to reach the high notes during Hurt etc..
There's a lot of fun on stage in Feb'77, to me that is important.

Well I was at both shows that weekend...

Ricky, lucky you. :o
Please tell us your feelings about this release.
I don't think a release like this will remind you about the actual show.
Besides some special moments..

Cheers, RJ

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:55 pm

I felt sad listening to the first part of the cd.

Elvis is struggeling with his voice and he really tries but, sad to say, he doens't make it :cry: . Hoarse and short of breath, It is clear he shouldn't have been on stage that night. It even made me wonder why Ernst has decided to release this :? If this ends up in the 'wrong' hands, it could be used endlessly by people to show everyone how 'bad' he was in his last year. :(

His spirit is up, I must say. And the 'in between' chats with the audience or band are amusing :) . He even throws in some of is Clouseau imitations.

After the first half of the cd it get's a little better. The bonustracks are nice. 'Reconsider Baby' is great, also because of the fantastic guitar solo by James. I must say that the band plays very good on all the tracks.

The sound is good but dry, as Elvis himself also mentions. Yes, there is distortion on 'Where No One Stands Alone'. Amazingly it is not on the bootleg so something must have gone wrong somewhere.

So here we have Elvis in not his best shape, to put it mildly, a Cd with one of the worst covers ever and strange distortion on a song while the same recording on bootleg is flawless... :cry:

Seems like a rush job to me by FTD or not enough inspiration to fill in the January 2007 release. This one won't make the FTD Top 40 and rightly so.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:59 pm

Who mastered it?

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:05 pm

I suppose this Mrs Reidel, master of careless mastering? I do not have it yet but of course it should be corrected if it was on tape. It can be also mastering error. Do you remember Ann Arbor tracks HELP ME, UNCHAINED MELODY on SPRING TOURS 77? There was a lot of very strange clicks and the result was awful. I tried to remove these clicks and it took me just 1 or 2 minutes. Also similar problem can be found on Pittsburgh 76 FTD and on bunch of others.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:14 pm

Too bad nom soundboard from better tour opening FEB 12 77 in Hollywood not Miami....

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:15 pm

deadringer wrote:I suppose this Mrs Reidel, master of careless mastering? I do not have it yet but of course it should be corrected if it was on tape. It can be also mastering error. Do you remember Ann Arbor tracks HELP ME, UNCHAINED MELODY on SPRING TOURS 77? There was a lot of very strange clicks and the result was awful. I tried to remove these clicks and it took me just 1 or 2 minutes. Also similar problem can be found on Pittsburgh 76 FTD and on bunch of others.
I thought it was a buzz like electrical sounding...