All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:55 am

Five pages and still going. For what reason? It is apparent that most here do indeed like Elvis' version of the song (including me).

Nothing can be done about it now. He can't go back and undo the song now, can he? Let's move on to another tune to argue about.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:00 am

My Boy is dreadful! ickkkkk!

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:03 am

TJ wrote:My Boy ... was a top 5 hit anyway, so recording it was hardly unwise.

It made #20 on "Billboard Top 100" for 1 week, left the charts completely three weeks later.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:05 am

Rob wrote:It is apparent that most here do indeed like Elvis' version of the song (including me).

Nothing can be done about it now.

Rob, there's always hope that you'll someday come to your senses.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:07 am

Your concern is touching. Thanks, old buddy.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TJ wrote:My Boy ... was a top 5 hit anyway, so recording it was hardly unwise.

It made #20 on "Billboard Top 100" for 1 week, left the charts completely three weeks later.

Top 5 in the UK Doc, which is a sales chart. Wasn't the Top 100 based a lot on airplay even then?

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:14 am

When the album with this song came out, this 15 yr old boy (at the time) thought this was the pick of the album. I thought this should be a single and soon after it was. I loved the song and still do. One of Elvis' finest.

:P

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:24 am

sam wrote:When the album with this song came out, this 15 yr old boy (at the time) thought this was the pick of the album. I thought this should be a single and soon after it was. I loved the song and still do. One of Elvis' finest.

Clarence Darrow is in the house.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:49 am

:D
drjohncarpenter wrote:
sam wrote:When the album with this song came out, this 15 yr old boy (at the time) thought this was the pick of the album. I thought this should be a single and soon after it was. I loved the song and still do. One of Elvis' finest.

Clarence Darrow is in the house.

I'll take that as a complimant ... I don't get many!!!! :oops: :wink:

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:27 pm

Doc a Nazi? Well i would'nt go that far, but i'd say watch your backside Wood because the administrator could kick it out. Doc is 'the untouchable' with the gold pass

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
shanebrown wrote:Just because you prefer one style over another doesn't mean the style you dislike is bad, its just not to your taste.

This argument is overplayed, specious and intellectually dishonest. Don't feel persecuted -- sadly, you're far from the only exponent of this empty rhetoric on the MB or elsewhere.

If one follows this line of thinking regarding Elvis' career, it ultimately means he recorded nothing great or terrible, as it's all according "to your taste." He made neither wonderful nor worthless films, since whatever you believe is only "your opinion."

What a pathetic and irksome spectacle.

If mine is a fallacious observation, please detail how a consensus is reached on anything pertaining to Elvis' art. For example, explain how "Mystery Train" is a stone classic Presley recording. Or that "Heartbreak Hotel" didn't just move a million discs in 1956, but actually changed lives.

It can't be done. Not here.

"Oh, I don't agree -- they're terrible. I never liked them much. That's just your opinion." He was so much greater in the 70s. Songs like "The Sound Of Your Cry" and "My Boy" are just so emotional."

Arrrgh!

But who has authority to say what is great and what is not?

SUN, 95% OF 50's Studio, 50's TV appearances, First two Gospel Albums, 68 Sit Down & Stand Ups, 69 Studio Sessions, June 70, TTWII, On Tour and a generous handful of 70's ballads and rockers DEFINE Elvis for me.
I cannot see how anyone can disagree - but they do?!

Do I actively dislike someone who thinks MY BOY & SOUND OF YOUR CRY is great Elvis material. Do I disrespect the person - well I have done in the past with DISASTEROUS results. My thoughts on Elvis have not changed but my attitudes towards others have.

I think the best we can say is that there is a general consensus of critical thought that agrees with my above list.

If someone says that they think the SPICE GIRLS are better than Elvis then of course I find that hard to stomach - I don't respect their taste but respect their right to taste

I think were are on the same page Doc but I actively try to let go of my contempt.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:47 pm

[A friend who had been so excited by the powerhouse rock and roll of "Promised Land," Elvis' late 1974 single, recalled being astonished and dismayed that the follow-up was "My Boy," a terrible, overwrought ballad. Perhaps a lot of new, young fans were killed off by that single.[/quote]

Till this day i rememer i was 11 years old, i have seen Thats The Way It Is that year on television . It blown my mind completly.at that moment i have never heard of aloha from hawaii. Elvis enter the Tip-parade with My Boy, and then my dad buy's for me arcade'40 greats and then i hear for the first time'' My baby Left me" that was my start as Elvis Fan.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:48 pm

edit

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:51 pm

shanebrown wrote:
Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:Doc a Nazi? Well i would'nt go that far, but i'd say watch your backside Wood because the administrator could kick it out. Doc is 'the untouchable' with the gold pass

Do we know why? It does seem very strange that arguments against what the doc says often do get kicked off.

For usually the same reason too............

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:03 pm

I like "My Boy"
And as far as I know my family likes the song, especially my mother.
Oh and..my friends who listen to Elvis like "My Boy".
It's one of the favorites of my best friend (at least the last time we made a top 20 or something it was there), though he's more a Stones fan overall. His sister likes it too, etc.
So..it could be a typical Dutch thing...(however, I don't know if Ger likes it...) :wink:
But...It doesn't have to be a masterpiece for me. I don't care how people think about it, whether they call it "thrash" or "fantastic". Or how they think about me for liking the song. I don't, because whatever they say about it, I have always liked the song and I will always like it. Today, tomorrow, and forever. GUTFEELINGS! :roll:

And now I'm gonna play it. :wink:

Oh...and calling Doc a nazi or comparing him with Hitler is incorrect, inappropriate and ridiculous!

Sometimes he's a bit grumpy, that's all.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:25 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:
shanebrown wrote:
Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:Doc a Nazi? Well i would'nt go that far, but i'd say watch your backside Wood because the administrator could kick it out. Doc is 'the untouchable' with the gold pass

Do we know why? It does seem very strange that arguments against what the doc says often do get kicked off.

For usually the same reason too............

Check out the Member list and looks who's the first "member"

Dr John 1v1 - "In the beginning was the Doc, and the Doc was with the admin, and the Doc was...."

Well you get the picture.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:49 pm

shanebrown wrote:I dont remember anyone arguing on here that the bona fide classics are just peoples opinion. We are talking here of a song that nobody has ever called a classic recording. But there is a big difference from something not being a classic to being garbage.

Well said.
Heartbreak Hotel = Classic
My Boy = Garbage
Glad you have come to your senses. :wink:

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:18 pm

Man, I like garbage :roll:

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:16 pm

shanebrown wrote:
midnightx wrote:
shanebrown wrote:I dont remember anyone arguing on here that the bona fide classics are just peoples opinion. We are talking here of a song that nobody has ever called a classic recording. But there is a big difference from something not being a classic to being garbage.

Well said.
Heartbreak Hotel = Classic
My Boy = Garbage
Glad you have come to your senses. :wink:

I dont think you quite got what I was saying!

I understood you. I was joking around with you a bit.... :wink:

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:01 am

shanebrown wrote:having said that about the memberlist, the boards were obviously much smaller then, and I'm guessing that it was never even thought of that there would be 38 pages of members. If posts are going to be taken off here because they disagree with the doc, then perhaps the liking of the boards to a dictatorship is justified.

A few weeks ago it was insinuated by this same self proclaimed oracle on a thread that me and two other members were in fact the same person logging on under different names. It was an erroneous, flawed and offensive accusation. There was no proof, we just happened to have the same ISP and live in the same region of England. When it became clear that he was clearly and rather embarrassingly wrong, the entire thread was of course removed. Go figure!

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:23 am

woodleyjohn wrote:Which of course means that the self proclaimed oracle can never be proved wrong.....but we know. Sad, isn't it?

Totally sad.

Crying shame in fact. :cry:

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:58 am

Denman wrote:I like "My Boy"
And as far as I know my family likes the song, especially my mother.
Oh and..my friends who listen to Elvis like "My Boy".
It's one of the favorites of my best friend (at least the last time we made a top 20 or something it was there), though he's more a Stones fan overall. His sister likes it too, etc.
So..it could be a typical Dutch thing...(however, I don't know if Ger likes it...) :wink:
But...It doesn't have to be a masterpiece for me. I don't care how people think about it, whether they call it "thrash" or "fantastic". Or how they think about me for liking the song. I don't, because whatever they say about it, I have always liked the song and I will always like it. Today, tomorrow, and forever. GUTFEELINGS! :roll:

And now I'm gonna play it. :wink:

Oh...and calling Doc a nazi or comparing him with Hitler is incorrect, inappropriate and ridiculous!

Sometimes he's a bit grumpy, that's all.

Doc's a good guy.........a lot of times his sense of humor just gets misinterpreted. Sometimes he's acerbic too, but he's ALWAYS knowledgeable.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:08 am

Back on track I have to say I find My Boy a tad depressing and it's a song that I very rarely play. But hey, horses for courses...

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:15 am

Scatter wrote:Doc's a good guy.........a lot of times his sense of humor just gets misinterpreted. Sometimes he's acerbic too, but he's ALWAYS knowledgeable.

Yes he is knowledgeable, but not a "good" guy. Sense of humour??? Sorely lacking most of the time. Just rude and dismissive.

Knowledge without wisdom is worthless.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:44 am

Denman wrote:... calling Doc a nazi or comparing him with Hitler is incorrect, inappropriate and ridiculous!

Thanks, Denman. You are 100% correct.

You did forget to mention that only the small-minded resort to such desperate, flawed rhetoric. But it seems there are an abundance of those on this MB.