All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

My Boy

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:15 pm

I have just recieved a compilation of two Richard harris-albums. yes the actor, who has also recorded some albums. Here i learned, that the original version of this song was presented at a European Radio-Tele International Grand prix in Luxembourg, AND that the song was written especially for Richard Harris. Did you know that - and how did it get to EP's ears - anyone knows, if there is a story behind this? Actually there are more songs on this album one could figure EP could have done in this periode....

my boy

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:19 pm

... it was a hit by Richard Harris, not too long before Elvis covered it.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:22 pm

Yeah...I've just learned that...But i think it's kind of funny that a song from a european song contest makes it to EP :D Actually I think the song "It's a wonderful World" also has a history from this kind of event - or is it another song? a Danish radio rock'n'roll expert AND grat Elvis fan had a little hint of this a while ago in a radio show

re

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:26 pm

My Boy recorded by Elvis on Thursday, 13 December, 1973
Written by: Boutayre; François; Coulter; Martin
Originally recorded by Richard Harris (?) in 1971
Hear Elvis's version on: Good Times; Walk A Mile In My Shoes—The Essential 70's Masters Disc 2
Richard Harris certainly recorded the original English-language version of this number, which was an entry in the 1971 Radio Luxembourg Grand Prix music contest.
The "real" original, however, dates to 4 years earlier, when famous french singer Claude François wrote and recorded "Parce-que Je T'Aime Mon Enfant" (Because I Love You, My Child). Claude François was also the very first singer to sing the song that became "my way". Phillip Coulter and Bill Martin provided the English words for Harris's version.

http://users.pandora.be/davidneale/elvi ... list6.html

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:27 pm

Wasn't it orginally a French song called "Parce-que je t'aime mon enfant", recorded by Claude Francois?

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:31 pm

Very interesting! Thanks a lot. A pro pos french/english lyrics. I saw a interview with David Bowie yesterdaand he stated that he had written the first English lyrics for what was later to be known as "My Way". Though the lyrics were rejected, and paul anka was given the job....

re

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:36 pm

in 1968 paul anka was in france & was married to a french woman. He heard the song "comme d habitude" that was number one here and decided to arrange it. P A suggested to F Sinatra to sing the song but he didn t want & finally agreed. it seems d bowie wrote different lyrics with different title ""Even A Fool Learns To Love" :wink:

re

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:05 pm

given it s never been written anywhere that EP heard the R Harris' song, we can conclude that a demo was suggested to him 8)

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:07 pm

Yes perhaps...I don't know if the song was well known in the States at that time. But it sure was suitable for Elvis at the time when he focused on those songs of lost love and marriage

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:53 pm

I think Elvis introduced the song, "My Boy," in concert as a song by Richard Harris, so I'm sure he was familiar with Harris' version. I first heard Elvis sing "My Boy" in Las Vegas in August 1973, which was BEFORE he recorded it in the studio.

Mystery Train

my boy

Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:05 pm

... correct 110% Mystery Train! He did introduce the song as being

from Harris. It probably was a hit by RH in the States. Yanks?

Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:28 pm

Thank you all for your comments and answers. I really would like to have had the opportunity to listen to the song live in Vegas - I envy you! :D

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:20 am

MysteryTrain wrote:I think Elvis introduced the song, "My Boy," in concert as a song by Richard Harris, so I'm sure he was familiar with Harris' version. I first heard Elvis sing "My Boy" in Las Vegas in August 1973, which was BEFORE he recorded it in the studio.

You're right.
During many different shows from the August 1973 Vegas engagement he would say, "This next song was done by Richard Harris and I'm going to record it. I hope you like it. It's called My Boy."

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:31 am

Richard Harris's recording of "My Boy," if released as a single, did not make the "Billboard" Top 40. Elvis' 1975 cover did hit #20, however.

A friend who had been so excited by the powerhouse rock and roll of "Promised Land," Elvis' late 1974 single, recalled being astonished and dismayed that the follow-up was "My Boy," a terrible, overwrought ballad. Perhaps a lot of new, young fans were killed off by that single.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:39 am

Here in the UK, My Boy was paired with Lovin Arms, and made the top 5, I believe. It was the first Elvis single I owned, and I've always thought it was one of the stronger 70's ballads. The version on Big Boss Man is excellent.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:A friend who had been so excited by the powerhouse rock and roll of "Promised Land," Elvis' late 1974 single, recalled being astonished and dismayed that the follow-up was "My Boy," a terrible, overwrought ballad. Perhaps a lot of new, young fans were killed off by that single.

Well, Doc, you've done it again! :lol:

And so, for that matter, have I now... :o

I wouldn't call "My Boy" "terrible" or any other synonym of that sort. Not the way Elvis rendered it, anyhow. It's a very passionate, very sincere performance, and another song that is approached in an autobiographical way, even if the lyrics are a little ... off-axis.

Though your main point is noted: "My Boy" must have seemed disappointing to some after "Promised Land". The sense of release and satire of his endless touring he must have seen on one level in the pace and lyrics of "Promised Land" (even though the song isn't about that) was matched by his honesty in "My Boy", and vice versa. But it's understandable that many were confused and disappointed by the sudden coming and going of a rockier song interpreted with that kind of zest and promise (pun intended). That kind of Elvis performance was fleeting. "Promised Land" was a blip then and it's a blip now...

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:58 am

i 100% disagree and have a different opinion on 'MY BOY' than Dr.Carpenter.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:00 am

Cryogenic wrote:"Promised Land" was a blip then and it's a blip now...

As his most stunning 1970s rocker, it's anything BUT a "blip." It proves that, when Elvis cared, he could still rock the house.

As for the wonders of "My Boy," why don't you bring some of your schoolmates over and tell them you're going to play "a very passionate, very sincere" song by the great Elvis Presley. And then cue up "My Boy."

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:"Promised Land" was a blip then and it's a blip now...

As his most stunning 1970s rocker, it's anything BUT a "blip." It proves that, when Elvis cared, he could still rock the house.

Yes. And I like to think, given what I wrote around that remark, that you knew and know that that was the context in which I meant it. Pedantic Pete!

drjohncarpenter wrote:As for the wonders of "My Boy," why don't you bring some of your schoolmates over and tell them you're going to play "a very passionate, very sincere" song by the great Elvis Presley. And then cue up "My Boy."

LOL!

The sad fact is that most people my age don't care for Elvis -- full stop.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:14 am

In fact, Paul Anka to this day is still very passionate about performing his music "his" way...

http://www.noisetank.com/integrity

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:19 am

The "problem" with a lot of people when it comes to Elvis' music (not necessarily you, Doc) is their narrow view that if it doesn't rock it's shi-.

Elvis' music was so much more than that. His versatility was all encompassing. He could sing almost anything (and did). That's why I enjoy his entire body of work.

Those who dismiss all but the rocking Elvis are missing a lot. But to each their own.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:26 am

Yeah.

As epic ballads in Elvis' repertoire go, "My Boy" is a good 'un.

He clearly had a deep affection for the song. Listen to 1975 stage versions. The song just soars in Elvis' hands. OK, so The Doc would rather it have kept soaring and flown away, and I understand the insanity of Elvis' catalogue (if that isn't a contradiction in terms), but I think that "My Boy" must be assessed on its own merits, and it's a very strong performance. The main issue is that Elvis should have kept defining himself with all forms of music -- not predominantly emotional pieces like "My Boy". But I choose to save scorn for other 70's pieces. Ernst obviously felt it was good enough for the 70's Masters, so it can't be that bad... Oh, okay ... his manifesto said it had to be included because it was a single, but I have a feeling it would still have made it. Even if it's not the most ideal piece of music from the big range of 70's numbers that Elvis tackled, it still stands out.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:31 am

Cryogenic wrote:The sad fact is that most people my age don't care for Elvis ...

Playing them "My Boy" might serve to reinforce that notion, too.

JerryNodak wrote:Elvis' music was so much more than that. His versatility was all encompassing. He could sing almost anything (and did). That's why I enjoy his entire body of work.

Those who dismiss all but the rocking Elvis are missing a lot. But to each their own.

I fully concur, Jerry. But "My Boy" was a very poor choice for Elvis -- it's overblown and very much a "Las Vegas" power ballad, more suitable for the Wayne Newtons of the world.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:35 am

Doc: We'll just have to agree to disagree. But I respect your opinion.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:42 am

My Boy, great song by Elvis. One of my all time favourites.