All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:16 am

You do have a valid point there Kylan, but there is a difference.
The Docs meanness is usually directed to members on this board. :wink:

8)

Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:02 am

I finally got to read the review and, except for the cheap shots pointed out in the earlier posts, it was pretty respectful. Actually, the unfortunate picture caption was more offensive than anything in the review itself.

Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:35 am

If the statement "Elvis died when he went in the army" is going to remain with us forever like it's friggin' gospel truth (which it isn't)
then it's only fair that there should be this statement:

"John Lennon died when he put on granny-glasses."

...or howabout:

"John Lennon died when he hooked up with Yoko Ono"

...0r howabout:

"John Lennon died when he became Freak of the Week with his Toronto Bed-In"

...or howabout:

"John Lennon died when he quit writing songs that made sense!"

(i.e I Am Walrus, What's The New Mary Jane, I Dig A Pony)

This could go on endlessly :roll:
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:37 am

lol that post cracked me up GG! good one!

Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:48 am

Kylan,

It's the just the erratic ramblings of someone who's "elvis-obsessed"

lol

Seriously tho, the case could be made that Lennon 1962-1965 was a genuine artist who wrote excellent and eloquent R&B and Country songs. This is my fav period of John's singing and writing. That guy "died" when the whole psychedelic acid era came along. Hence, the burial scene on the Pepper cover.
Maybe Lennon himself was saying "Yeh, that John I used to be is dead. Now fire up that doobie and drop that blotter! It's time to get trippy with the eggman!"

That's simply a culturally-worse transition than that of Elvis going in/getting out of the army.

Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:46 am

Graceland Gardener:

Brilliant post!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:47 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:Kylan,

lol

Seriously tho, the case could be made that Lennon 1962-1965 was a genuine artist who wrote excellent and eloquent R&B and Country songs. This is my fav period of John's singing and writing. That guy "died" when the whole psychedelic acid era came along. Hence, the burial scene on the Pepper cover.
Maybe Lennon himself was saying "Yeh, that John I used to be is dead. Now fire up that doobie and drop that blotter! It's time to get trippy with the eggman!"

That's simply a culturally-worse transition than that of Elvis going in/getting out of the army.

I too prefer John's earlier work Gardener, but 66-69 was not without some great stuff : Nowhere Man; A Day In The Life (mostly John's, Paul wrote the bridge); Strawberry Fields Forever; Dear Prudence; Julia; All You Need Is Love; Revolution; Across The Universe; Don't Let Me Down; The Ballad Of John & Yoko; Come Together. From his solo work: Love; Instant Karma; Imagine; Power To The People; Working Class Hero; Mind Games; # 9 Dream; Whatever Get's You Through The Night; Happy X-mas (War Is Over); Watching The Wheels; Beautiful Boy; Woman; Starting Over.

Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:47 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:Kylan,

lol

I too prefer John's earlier work Gardener, but 66-69 was not without some great stuff : Nowhere Man; A Day In The Life (mostly John's, Paul wrote the bridge); Strawberry Fields Forever; Dear Prudence; Julia; All You Need Is Love; Revolution; Across The Universe; Don't Let Me Down; The Ballad Of John & Yoko; Come Together. From his solo work: Love; Instant Karma; Imagine; Power To The People; Working Class Hero; Mind Games; # 9 Dream; Whatever Get's You Through The Night; Happy X-mas (War Is Over); Watching The Wheels; Beautiful Boy; Woman; Starting Over.

Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:35 pm

For the record (as there seems to be two different subjects mingling on this thread), count me as an appreciator of both Elvis and John Lennon. All partisan, good-natured jibes aside, any attempt to diminish the Beatle legacy ultimately diminishs the Elvis fan who does it. If we want Elvis to be taken seriously, we can begin by not berating those who built on his music, be it the Beatles, Bob Dylan or you name it.

But say what you will and that's the nature of this forum....

Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:31 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:For the record (as there seems to be two different subjects mingling on this thread), count me as an appreciator of both Elvis and John Lennon. All partisan, good-natured jibes aside, any attempt to diminish the Beatle legacy ultimately diminishs the Elvis fan who does it. If we want Elvis to be taken seriously, we can begin by not berating those who built on his music, be it the Beatles, Bob Dylan or you name it.

But say what you will and that's the nature of this forum....

Wise words indeed. Unfortunately this is not the first time I’ve read such distasteful comments about John Lennon’s tragic murder on an Elvis message board, and the sad thing is it probably wont be the last. Why some Elvis fans feel they have to react in this way is beyond me. I also like The Beatles and John Lennon, and have never had a problem with this, as some Elvis fans seem to have. It certainly isn’t a crime to appreciate the talents of both artists.

Lennon was also very much entitled to his opinion, and if he genuinely didn’t like the music Elvis made after 1958 that was his prerogative. I don’t hear Elvis fans complaining when another of Lennon’s famous quotes, “Before Elvis there was nothing” is also used on a regular basis.

Every time somebody mentions John Lennon or The Beatles the discussion normally ends in this way. The Elvis fans that don’t like The Beatles are not going to change their opinions, but there are different ways of expressing them.