All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Unchained Melody Cover: Worst Ever?

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:53 am

In my humble opinion this is not a very flattering cover and could be the worst FTD cover to date. What do you think?

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:55 am

100% disagree Steve, it's from the 'period' and he looks 'ok' what else do you want/expect?? :roll:

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:28 am

I think the picture is a cool one of a thin faced Elvis at the age of 42.
He looked good at this time.
However, should it be the cover of a live concert cd? I am leaning towards, NO.
It would make a good back of the cover shot or behind the cd inside the digipack shot.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:37 am

I like a lot of FTD covers, so I'm not a harsh critic. But I'd have to rank at least Dragonheart well behind this new one -- though I'll concede I'm not wild about this latest effort myself.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:30 am

back cover not front.

Re: Unchained Melody Cover: Worst Ever?

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:34 am

steve in SC wrote:In my humble opinion this ... could be the worst FTD cover to date. What do you think?

Not even close.

It's a nice candid by Keith Alverson, taken on February 16, 1977 in the Montgomery hotel garage, right after arriving from Orlando. One of the bonus tracks on the disc was done that evening -- "Where No One Stands Alone."

And it's totally refreshing to get a relevant, casual photo for the cover, instead of yet another "jumpsuit and mic" image.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:17 am

IMO it's a very good cover.

And it's totally refreshing to get a relevant, casual photo for the cover, instead of yet another "jumpsuit and mic" image.


I agree.

There were a few very bad FTD covers (Dragonheart,Too Much Monkey Business,6363 Sunset,Polk Salad Annie,Takin' Tahoe Tonight) but this one is very tasteful. I like ALL covers they have done since early 2005.
Finally they understood that nice covers mean more sales.

Re: Unchained Melody Cover: Worst Ever?

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: It's a nice candid by Keith Alverson, taken on February 16, 1977 in the Montgomery hotel garage, right after arriving from Orlando.


DJC, thank you for describing the photo :lol:! BTW Steve in SC, you are a hard man to please. The photo shows a human side to the man!

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:35 am

I think the cover photo is really good, the design on the other hand isn't much to speak of.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:59 am

I like the picture. I'll leave it at that.
Last edited by Rob on Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:34 pm

Hmm ... I think Steve is right. I don't like this cover. It's not because of the picture, it's because it's so grey ... no colours. So unexciting if you consider what a great release this will be.

Some of you guys said that the first cover for "I Found My Thrill" was bad. How can you say that and actually like THIS cover???

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:43 pm

Not much of a "design", really, but that isn't always necessary. Nice casual photo of Elvis looking relaxed and happy. Good enough for me! Worst cover? Already mentioned here, Dragonheart was pretty terrible! Looks like a menu from a really bad chinese restaurant, or something like that... Tuscon 76 featured really bad photos and Too Much Monkey Business... that was a rather uninspired effort (could they not have used the original Guitar Man cover instead?, that was a nice one).

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:48 pm

Nope

Worst FTD cover is Spring Tours '77(& the back is even worse)... but the CD is good.

JEFF d
EAP fan

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:00 pm

The photo is good. The design however is complete crap. Easily the worst FTD cover.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:14 pm

WildStyle wrote:The photo is good. The design however is complete crap. Easily the worst FTD cover.

Wildstyle,
Your comment best sums up my thoughts on the cover; however, even though the photo is good I find it very unflattering (surely a better one could have been used that reflected the period.)

Re: Unchained Melody Cover: Worst Ever?

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:59 pm

steve in SC wrote:In my humble opinion this is not a very flattering cover and could be the worst FTD cover to date. What do you think?


It is utterly pathetic!

It reminds of the cover on The Nashville Marathon and Jungle Room Sessions. Just a picture - nice enough - but hardly a cover!

It is a 2 minute job, maximum!

Regards

Re: Unchained Melody Cover: Worst Ever?

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:12 pm

ElvisInNorway wrote:
steve in SC wrote:In my humble opinion this is not a very flattering cover and could be the worst FTD cover to date. What do you think?


It is utterly pathetic!

It reminds of the cover on The Nashville Marathon and Jungle Room Sessions. Just a picture - nice enough - but hardly a cover!

It is a 2 minute job, maximum!

Regards


Well, at least the photo is 798 times better than the one used for "Made In Memphis"! :shock: :D

In my opinion, "The Nashville Marathon" looks very good. I like the cover for "Jungle Room" too. It puts you in the right mood, I like the font and the nice, "warm" colours, and the photo on the back is a classic!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Unchained Melody Cover: Worst Ever?

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:16 pm

It may not be the worst cover, but I don't particularly like it either.

Would have been better to have had a shot from one of the actual shows themselves in my opinion

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:00 pm

Not flashing like "Southern Nights" but not as bad as "Big Boss man". Not a bad 77 picture, but I like a concert cd with a nice concert picture on the cover. :wink:

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:04 pm

OK, it's not really a design, but at least FTD used a nice photo of Elvis. It shows, that the king didn't look bad and drugged all the time - even in 1977.

If you want to see a real bad coverphoto just look at the back of "Spring Tours". THAT one was bad!

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:07 pm

No way the worst one, rather the opposite - a decent one. Only... this picture frok K.A. is a litle bit overused. It was on one CD cover in the past too!

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:51 pm

Back in 1977 RCA used a photo of Elvis from 1975 for the In Concert LP and a photo from 1972 for Moody Blue. Both were just wrong. FTD got it right for the first time with Spring Tours '77, and although the photos were pretty bad, at least they were accurate. This time the photo is accurate, and good to boot! Plus, the soundboards from this season are crystal clear.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:04 pm

Worst cover ever? How about this little beauty?

Image

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:06 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Worst cover ever? How about this little beauty?

Image



Well the front is not great but still OK. The backcover... well... one of worst photos.

COVERS

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:40 pm

One of the poorest selling FTD's (several dealers still have many copies unsold) is "Made in Memphis". This one has no "artwork" whatsoever and a poor picture.