All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:37 am

"PADRE" I never understood why Elvis liked that song :!:

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:41 am

ColinB wrote:BTW - I had to look up 'consensus' in the dictionary - tricky little word; you think there's got to be a 'c' in it somewhere....

Well (cough cough), there is one! :lol:

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:51 am

She wears my ring :smt011
Hey Jude :smt011
Who am I? :smt011
Fools fall in love :smt011
Come what may :smt011

What a waste.
Thank you very much... :wink:

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:57 am

The only Beatles song that I like by Elvis is "Yesterday", it`s a beautiful song and well performed by Elvis.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:00 am

sam wrote:
What's wrong with Ito ??? :shock:

He eats like teeth are out of style.. :smt106

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:53 am

elvisa wrote:The only Beatles song that I like by Elvis is "Yesterday", it`s a beautiful song and well performed by Elvis.

Indeed, Elvis does an excellent version of "Yesterday". Lennon would immediately say that's Paul's song. "Paul wrote the lyrics to 'Yesterday.'
Quote by John Lennon (1980): I have had so much accolade for 'Yesterday.' That's Paul's song, and Paul's baby. Well done. Beautiful-- and I never wished I'd written it."

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:03 am

I think Elvis' best Beatles cover is Something from August, 1970. Hey Jude is awful both in the Memphis studio form but even worse so in that terrible pairing with Yesterday, glad it was removed from the original On Stage album. It was one song that simply did not work for Elvis at all and is probably one of those iconic Beatles numbers that should be left only to the Beatles.
Last edited by Matthew on Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:08 am

carolynlm wrote:Dare I say it.......?????
:lol: :lol:

No!!!

:lol:

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:30 am

carolynlm wrote:I can't help it Sam.....anyone asks the question, I have to answer truthfully....... :lol:

One day I'm going to make you a CD with every version of that song I can find!!!! :lol:

8)

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:37 am

bossa nova baby
mama liked the roses

those are painful, and i will happily admit to fully enjoying song of the shrimp and dominic... but those are utterly painful to my ears.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:01 am

elvisa wrote:"PADRE" I never understood why Elvis liked that song :!:

I don't understand why Elvis liked it, but I don't understand why he would have disliked it, either. He had eclectic tastes. I think his studio cut of "Padre" is brilliant -- an epic lament. While the writing is very frothy, I think it's meant to be that way; the baroque feel of the words is evocative of a more lofty, formal, chivalrous age, even down to the title (essentially, Spanish and Italian for "father" -- with priestly overtones). I say without recourse to irony that it's a great song, at least as finally realised by Elvis. I respectfully disagree with criticisms of his vocal performance. He may be singing at the top of his range, and he may sound pained, but that's what gives the song its edge. Like the lyrics, I think the singing here is meant to be hyperbolic (i.e. deliberately exaggerated for poetic effect), but not excessive, and to me, that's exactly what was achieved. In fact, what Elvis achieved may be unique -- he never sang quite like that in over 700 other songs. Marty Robbins' version may sound similar, but the higher pace and extra intensity in Elvis' version takes it to another level. I realise it's not to everyone's tastes, but I truly love "Padre". The problem is that it stands out like a sore thumb. There's no real place for it in his catalogue. Ideally, like he did for the genres of gospel and country, and like he should have done for the genre of rhythm and blues, Elvis should have recorded a pure "Neopolitan" album, providing a perfect forum in which to explore and master a particular aesthetic (flavouring it with other genres as only Elvis could), showcasing his democratic love for music and unparalleled ability to bring that to the masses.

Matthew wrote:Hey Jude is awesome both in the Memphis studio form

What a difference a typo can make! :lol:

I don't think "Hey Jude" could ever have worked for Elvis, either. That said: I love the part at the end where he yells, "Judy, Judy, Judy!" It's like he shed his juvenile skin at the end of the Memphis cut and finally started believing in the power of the song and the power of his voice. Before that...? The whole song, as interpreted by Elvis, is dreck.

Elvis' Babe wrote:mama liked the roses

I'm not sure this is "awful", nor "Bossa Nova Baby", but I find them both terribly lacking. "Mama Liked The Roses" is an abberation given the high quality of the Memphis sessions. Then again, so is "Hey Jude"... It's amazing how even the greatest moments in EP's career are dogged with pap.

I'm only speaking relatively, of course. Some people may love Elvis' mutilation of "Hey Jude", for example. And I definitely have my back against the wall in pledging my love for "Padre". Incidentally, if you play "Hey Jude" and "Padre" back to back (go on -- you'll live ... probably), you can at least say this much: it sounds like two completely different people, yet the songs are separated by only a few years. Even if you hate both, you have to admit that the difference in Elvis' voice is impressive. The man's been gone thirty years and he's still a puzzle. Them's the chips.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:05 am

The version of Hey Jude on "Too Much Monkey Business" actually sounds better than the originally released version...

Go on, give it a spin!!! :D

8)

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:24 am

sam wrote:The version of Hey Jude on "Too Much Monkey Business" actually sounds better than the originally released version...

Go on, give it a spin!!! :D

8)

I agree Sam.

Colin is right....this is just too subjective....reminds me of those stupid 10 best and 100 best programs that clutter up television (mind you there are all sorts of garbage that clutters up TV).

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:02 am

Thomas wrote:I was trying to provoke some subjective personal oppinions.

No, you were trying to be as disrespectful as humanly possible, and on Elvis' birthday no less. How incredibly tacky.

Tom

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:06 am

Cryogenic wrote:
Matthew wrote:Hey Jude is awesome both in the Memphis studio form

What a difference a typo can make! :lol:

Haha, yes indeed. Corrected now.

As to Padre, to be honest, out of everything Elvis commited to studio tape during the 70s I cannot find a song that is more woeful than this performance. Following this track with Girl Of Mine or Three Corn Patches allows me to see a beauty in those tracks not evident beforehand :wink: In Padre we find Elvis pained and strained.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:11 am

Quote: He even eat the shell from the coconut.."

I thought the lyric was, "he even eat de shell from de coconut".

Even thought the song is bad, during this time in his life he is singing better than ever before, so I enjoy this piece of fluff.

"Paradise Hawaiian style"

"Golden coins"

"Hey Hey Hey"

"Yoga is as yoga does"

are a few of my least favorites.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:24 am

Matthew wrote:In Padre we find Elvis pained and strained.

And that's what I like about it. I find a good precedent for it being there. But it is certainly an unpopular position. I realise "Padre" is fated to be hated by most.*

*And I'm not saying a dislike of the song is unjustified. Different courses for different horses.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:35 am

I wish Elvis had never done I Want To hold Your Hand.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:37 am

I wish Elvis had never done Nipper The Dog.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:49 am

Cryogenic wrote:
Matthew wrote:In Padre we find Elvis pained and strained.

And that's what I like about it. I find a good precedent for it being there. But it is certainly an unpopular position. I realise "Padre" is fated to be hated by most.*

*And I'm not saying a dislike of the song is unjustified. Different courses for different horses.

I pretty well agree with you Cryo.. although not up there in my top 5, I don't mind this song.

8)

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:22 am

lonesome cowboy might have been elvis' worst song in the '50s... i used to dislike crawfish, but i tolerate it now because of the scene in king creole putting into perspective and some charm... but lonesome cowboy doesn't do it for me--and to think it was done at elvis' supposed 'peak'. it's a pretty hard song to take.

scrap bossa nova and mama... the worst song is lonesome cowboy. can't stand it. elvis actually sounds whiny at the beginning. same with crawfish, but i think lonesome cowboy is the worse of the two.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:52 am

Cool beans, sam! At least "Padre" has two fans. :lol:

(Seriously ... I know there are others that like it).

Elvis' Babe wrote:scrap bossa nova and mama... the worst song is lonesome cowboy. can't stand it. elvis actually sounds whiny at the beginning. same with crawfish, but i think lonesome cowboy is the worse of the two.

Not "Lonesome Cowboy". Elvis sings that with such intimacy. Yes, he has a very juvenile sound to his voice, but that's largely owed to when he recorded it. A bad 50's one along the lines of your hatred for "Lonesome Cowboy" is "I Believe". When the song gets going, it's actually embarrassing. He simply lacks the power and depth in his voice to pull it off. If Elvis had tackled this in 1966 at the "How Great Thou Art" sessions, the result would have been very different.

Given the choice between junky songs rendered badly and great songs rendered badly, I'd have to say the latter is more frustrating -- by far. It seems that "I Believe" and "Hey Jude" get my vote. I'd rather listen to "Ito Eats" or "Dominic" a hundred times over.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:02 am

Cryogenic wrote:A bad 50's one along the lines of your hatred for "Lonesome Cowboy" is "I Believe". When the song gets going, it's actually embarrassing.

See, I'm scratching my head here, you argue the case for "Padre" and then criticise the vocal performance on one of his great gospel performances "I Believe"?

You certainly have a uniquely eclectic taste in Elvis' music, not that there's anything wrong with that.

The whole Peace In The Valley EP is a classic in my book.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:17 am

Matthew wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:A bad 50's one along the lines of your hatred for "Lonesome Cowboy" is "I Believe". When the song gets going, it's actually embarrassing.

See, I'm scratching my head here, you argue the case for "Padre" and then criticise the vocal performance on one of his great gospel performances "I Believe"?

Oh, the enigma of Cryogenic. :lol:

He just sounds so weak on "I Believe". On the more intense passages, that is. The song begins in mesmerising fashion, but breaks down when true power and gospel-like fervour is called for, IMO.

Matthew wrote:You certainly have a uniquely eclectic taste in Elvis' music, not that there's anything wrong with that.

We all do. And we all must.

Matthew wrote:The whole Peace In The Valley EP is a classic in my book.

I love the EP ... but "I Believe" just doesn't cut the mustard. It's a real shame. The conviction is truly there in his voice, but here, rarely, perhaps exceptionally, he can't quite bring the technical profiency required to pull it off. If someone could have convinced him to re-record "I Believe" in 1966, it could have been a stunner.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:37 am

Quote: Cool beans, sam! At least "Padre" has two fans.

I have always liked this song. I think if it was released undubbed more of you would come to appreciate this song. It is a little overproduced, but when I first discovered Elvis, this was a tune I played alot.

Another one of Elvis's favorites from the 50's, thet he finally got around to recording in the 70's. Elvis always did like those spanish flavored tunes and this has a little bit of that style. In the same vein as "heart of rome" that also gets alot of critism, which I like that one as well.
Vocally, these types of tunes are right up Elvis' alley.
Nice melodies and nice rhythm.