Current Catalogue?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Keith: I live in a town of 35,000. We have the mass market stores Walmart, Target, K-mart, etc. But the only "music" store we have as such
is Sam Goody. I've stopped going (even though I've known the manager for years) because the only Elvis product I can ever find now are the various compilations. Absolutely no "deep" catalog product. Of course, they can order that for me, but I can do that for myself online.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Rob -- the weekend has passed and gone. How do you like BMG's 2006 edition of the MDQ?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Good question. I was wondering the same thing. :lol:

Keith, I don't mean to single you out and I do think devoted music fans will come to their music in any number of ways if they are "off the beaten" path -and regardless of the medium, as much as I must begrudgingly take note of those who only download.

(Your English is quite accomplished by the way...)

I guess the problem is that the popular music acts do in some ways subsidize the Roy Orbison album reissues and the like. We probably can take refuge with our old-fashioned music tastes and taste for physical "records," but the CD as a medium is quietly but steadily dying out across the spectrum, led by the popular mainstream, in the US at least.

Here, it may take some time for working class people who are of a certain age and shop at Wal-Mart or K-Mart or Target to totally give up on the CD, but then the number of people with pricey satellite radio subscriptions is also quite high and common. Someone that plugged in with, say, a great satellite radio station, is that much more unlikely to feel the need to be their own D.J.

I remember how vinyl (LP and single) buyers were shunted aside in the late '80s (as it was, cassettes were doing outpacing even records, as I recall) and slowly and eventually told by the industry to "get lost" as they put bonus tracks on CD only and other ways to tell vinyl types to "get with it." And as LTB would say, tell us to spend $15 for a whole CD when people only wanted one song and there's evidence they did purposely sacrifice the single this way.

So the CD may soldier on for even decades, I do hope. But we'll be in the minority, or so they say. The average music consumer (and I can trace this with my 30-something friends) are slowly but surely (about every Christmas) totally getting onboard with the MP-3 / download/ I-Pod model.

Personally, I think it sucks. :twisted: ( :lol: )

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Greg: If the CD soldiers on for a couple more decades I'll be 76. I'll probably not care by then.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

I'm also fully prepared to be one of the last of a breed, Jerry, as well, from some VHS' I won't replace, to cassettes, to vinyl records to thousands of CDs, let along actual books and such.

Future (current? )homes will have more space and look less cluttered, but any homier? I doubt it. :evil: :lol:

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

JerryNodak wrote:I also seem to recall words to that effect. I suppose the poor sales of the first three doomed the project.

I sometimes wonder if Sony/BMG shouldn't just license select Elvis catalog product to Time-Life Music and let them have a go at it. They seem to understand how to mount an ad campaign and move product.
It isn't as if they'd be new to selling Elvis' music.
There is nothing holding back TimeLife, Readers Digest or anybody producing CD's from the RCA catalogue vis RCA Special Products.

But they are not confident af worthwhile sales volumes....and they should know.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Gregory Nolan Jr.

I was about to write "aging fan base.... :oops: "...but isn't it fair to assume that at one point, and even today, nearly every American home (or a high percentage) has an Elvis record in it, or a CD, or has at one point?

You cannot have achieved much more in terms of sales "penetration" than Elvis Presley. Sooner or later, you're going to see a drop-off and that's not a bad thing necessarily. For BMG/Sony, it's a tragedy but consider it a "market adjustment."