All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Re: Red Hot, sh#t hot!!!

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:44 pm

JLGB wrote:
Thomas wrote:
JLGB wrote:How many out from that label?

Is it the fifth?
Thank you.

Yes Number 5.

Pieces Of My Life, Tennessee Starlight, Going Back In Time, Chaos In College Park and this one.

All are top quality packages through and through.

My only very minor gripe with Red Hot is that it is not a picture Disc Cd (unlike the previous 4).

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:05 pm

Thomas wrote:
Rob wrote:and possibly December 4, 1976.

oh, didn't know that. does such a recording exist of this show?

I believe the whole of Elvis' last stint at Vegas was recorded using a mike at each end of the room. I remember Ann Nixon being credited with the recordings?? Anyway these have been available for MANY years now on tape - probably CDR now I guess.

It was a very unusual season with Elvis singing things like I JUST CAN'T HELP BELIEVIN' - I must say not a particularily good version sadly but nevertheless very unusual songs throughout his last time in Vegas

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:08 pm

LesterB wrote:Anyway these have been available for MANY years now on tape - probably CDR now I guess. It was a very unusual season with Elvis singing things like I JUST CAN'T HELP BELIEVIN' - I must say not a particularily good version sadly but nevertheless very unusual songs throughout his last time in Vegas

So there's more than soundboards that we can be looking forward to!

red hot

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:52 pm

... tsk tsk, you youngsters! Several cds were made of the last

Vegas stint, long ago. One was 'Black Diamond' , if I do remember

the correct title. These are not in any way comparable to the 'mike

on stage/ in audience' recordings, such as Red Hot, or the one

from the Profile Box. The Vegas 76 recordings are ok, but not at

all sensational. Add to this, His Majesty wasnt in the best of shape

during several performances.

Re: red hot

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:17 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote: One was 'Black Diamond' , if I do rememberthe correct title. These are not in any way comparable to the 'mikeon stage/ in audience' recordings, such as Red Hot

See? That's why I was asking. I own "Black Diamond" and some of the CD's from December 1976. And because I really don't think they're outstanding in any way, I thought I've missed something.

By the way, do more of these August/September '73 like recordings exist (that we maybe don't have yet)?

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:27 pm

Thomas wrote:
Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote: One was 'Black Diamond' , if I do rememberthe correct title. These are not in any way comparable to the 'mikeon stage/ in audience' recordings, such as Red Hot

See? That's why I was asking. I own "Black Diamond" and some of the CD's from December 1976. And because I really don't think they're outstanding in any way, I thought I've missed something.

By the way, do more of these August/September '73 like recordings exist (that we maybe don't have yet)?

I think the amateur recording equipment had improved by Dec '76. I do not think Black Diamond or Love Letters From Nevada or indeed the Winter Season cdrs are semi-pro booth tapes, but they are top notch. Interestingly, the Black D show sounds appreciably better on Vicky's Farewell To Vegas.

Thomas, most definitely there are a few more booth tapes floating around in serious collector land. Just hope they make their way to someone like Straight Arrow!!

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:28 pm

Thomas wrote:Well, two of the recordings I mean can be found on the Import CD's "Getting Down To Business" (August 30 1973 DS) and "We Don't Care What They Like" (September 2nd 1973 MS).

Are these actuall Cds or Cdrs? I've never heard of them or seen them... how do they compare to Red Hot in Vegas?

JEFF d
EAP fan

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:02 pm

These two are CDRs. Strange, that someone did not copied them and released on CD, as it is common habit now (see awful Heading For Tulsa 76).

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:26 pm

Interesting. So what is the difference between the cd-releases from Sept 2nd 1973 MS; "We Don't Care What They Like", "High Spirits In Vegas" and "What Now My Love - Pure Platinum"?

Kenneth

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:05 pm

First of all, all are amateur home made CDRs, no CDs. Do you know difference between CD and CDR ? :P

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:35 pm

Kenneth wrote:Interesting. So what is the difference between the cd-releases from Sept 2nd 1973 MS; "We Don't Care What They Like", "High Spirits In Vegas" and "What Now My Love - Pure Platinum"?

Kenneth

The tape is running too fast on High Spirits (by about 7%)

This is corrected on We Don't Care What They Like, and that is one helluva good sounding "glass etched disc" :wink:

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:50 pm

The sound is really good on this one and that is nice to know, but what about the show itself, is it a good one? I have the FTD summer festival, is the show better than that or about the same?

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:05 pm

elvisa wrote:The sound is really good on this one and that is nice to know, but what about the show itself, is it a good one? I have the FTD summer festival, is the show better than that or about the same?

The show itself is a solid no nonsense 72 Vegas show. Personally I find the 72 Vegas shows less enjoyable than '74 - '75. I think Elvis took to heart advice to "cut the chat" a bit too much. The shows are more professional and workmanlike, but somehow less "personable" if that makes sense.

Highlights of Red Hot IMO are Until It's Time For You To Go, Mountain, a very good My Way and a rockin' Little Sister/Get Back. For The Good Times is shaping up to be a very good version, but then he does the warm and sweaty body line, and this is followed immediately by the splice to 10 days earlier.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:20 pm

deadringer wrote:These two are CDRs. Strange, that someone did not copied them and released on CD, as it is common habit now (see awful Heading For Tulsa 76).

I'm not sure, but I think "Getting Down" is a CD whilst "We Don't Care" is a CDR - but it's worth many many CD's.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:32 pm

Correct ..Getting Down....is one of these cheap made imports ..came out 2002 by the Union Music label ....you know..bring your cdr to a friend who works in the pressing factory annd he makes a numbered silver disc out of it....
print your cover with a laser printer and voila..you got your import..

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:21 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Correct ..Getting Down....is one of these cheap made imports ..came out 2002 by the Union Music label ....you know..bring your cdr to a friend who works in the pressing factory annd he makes a numbered silver disc out of it....
print your cover with a laser printer and voila..you got your import..

Incorrect actually. Getting Down To Business and the other Union Label releases are pro CDr not factory pressed silver discs.

Also they had the cheek to say it was a soundboard on the artworks!!

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:43 pm

I think it was announced as import on this very site..anyway doesn`t matter..cheap in all cases..

..thank you for correcting me..

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:52 pm

Thomas wrote:By the way, do more of these August/September '73 like recordings exist (that we maybe don't have yet)?

I have shows from Aug. 25 MS, Aug 26 DS and Aug. 26 MS that I received back in the 80's from Larry Patrick. All decent sounding stereo audience recordings.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:55 pm

Any possibility to get these? :wink:

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:50 am

I would like info on how to get a copy also. I would love to hear some new elvis music

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:37 pm

:x i'd like to know why when i suggested looking either on ebay or contacting a 'good quality elvis shop' why my post was deleted? surely this would be 'common sence ' to ANY Elvis fan?? :roll:

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:54 pm

... tsk tsk, you youngsters! Several cds were made of the last

Vegas stint, long ago. One was 'Black Diamond' , if I do remember

the correct title. These are not in any way comparable to the 'mike

on stage/ in audience' recordings, such as Red Hot, or the one

from the Profile Box. The Vegas 76 recordings are ok, but not at

all sensational. Add to this, His Majesty wasnt in the best of shape

during several performances.

Ger,what do you think,how many soundboard recordings exist from this very last Vegas season? RUN ON was released in 1997 by Front Row Poductions,but this is the only one we've got from this season. And the sound quality is not too good on that CD,is that from the master tape? Or that's just an x-generation copy of the master?
I wonder what Ernst will release from this season. As far as i know (and i hope i'm wrong) they don't have a Vegas'76 soundboard in their vault.
This is my favourite Vegas season,i enjoy these shows more than the ones from 1970.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:57 pm

Johanesson wrote:As far as i know (and i hope i'm wrong) they don't have a Vegas'76 soundboard in their vault. This is my favourite Vegas season,i enjoy these shows more than the ones from 1970.

Just out of morbid curiosity, why is that?

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:14 pm

Rob,I can't explain it... He was very relaxed during this season and sang quite a lot rare songs. I like the funny version of Are You Lonseme Tonight,Softly As I leave You is great,too. I just love this season.

Image Image Image
Last edited by Johanesson on Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:19 pm

I have every show from the December '76 engagement. He started off on a high note for the first couple of days, then the shows deteriorated a tad. While there are some high points, the lack of interest is evident. At one point, he even comments on how much he hates Las Vegas. Yet, in an earlier show says that he would have came on stage tonight if he had to be carried out in a wheelchair and says that there is no place he'd rather be.

Go figure.