All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Red Hot, sh#t hot!!!

Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:48 pm

Just received the new Straight Arrow CD and for once the phrase "almost soundboard quality" is correct!! This is a great tape. Has me wondering if it is one of those "booth" tapes. There is little extraneous audience noise, and the show sound is crystal clear!!

Superb booklet too - well done SA whoever you are!!

Another winner from this great new label.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:52 pm

Thanks BRG I cant wait for this one :D

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:12 pm

Lucky me will get his copy in a matter of hours ...

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:20 pm

Sounds great!

What are the highlights of the show?

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:21 pm

could any of you post a small sound-sample from the CD ?

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:26 pm

Really not necessary. If BIGRED says its great, its great, believe me ... I can't wait to get this if its really one of these "booth" tapes ... the two I got of 1973 are really fantastic.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:29 pm

what is a booth tape?

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm

It is an audience recorded tape that was recorded with multiple microphones across the stage.

These "surround sound" audience recordings usually beat even the quality of a good soundboard.

That is what you meant with this term, right BigRed?
Last edited by Thomas on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:38 pm

Kind of like the shows in Vegas from August 20, 1973 and possibly December 4, 1976.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:39 pm

Rob wrote:and possibly December 4, 1976.

oh, didn't know that. does such a recording exist of this show?

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:43 pm

I'm not sure if it is actually what you call "booth" or not. It's just that the sound quality on this is one of the best.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:00 pm

Well, two of the recordings I mean can be found on the Import CD's "Getting Down To Business" (August 30 1973 DS) and "We Don't Care What They Like" (September 2nd 1973 MS).

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:16 pm

Thomas wrote:It is an audience recorded tape that was recorded with multiple microphones across the stage.

These "surround sound" audience recordings usually beat even the quality of a good soundboard.

That is what you meant with this term, right BigRed?

Yes that is what I meant!! I do not know that this is one of those tapes, but the sound is just so good that it must have been something along those lines. A joy to listen to, and as you say better than many a soundboard IMO!! :D

Straight Arrow = Kings of the Audience CD
Madison = current Kings of all other import CDs!!!

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:21 pm

As a postscript I should add that the sound dips slightly for the second half of For The Good Times and CHFIL - these are spliced from a lesser source 13/8/73 as the tape ran out just before then end of the 23/8 show!!

The 15 minute "press conference" style interview with John Wilkinson from 1972 is a nice touch at the end. :)

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:25 pm

Can't wait to get it. What does John say in the interview?

Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:45 pm

Agree whole heartedly with you BIG RED this is a fantasticly well put together CD and a real joy to have! Straight Arrow certainly give is the BEST! :lol:

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:09 pm

The tape source for this show is already almost perfect.... a bit more improved and ready is a real good audience recording..

Re: Red Hot, sh#t hot!!!

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:54 am

BIGREDG wrote:Just received the new Straight Arrow CD and for once the phrase "almost soundboard quality" is correct!! This is a great tape. Has me wondering if it is one of those "booth" tapes. There is little extraneous audience noise, and the show sound is crystal clear!!

How many out from that label?

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:24 am

hmmmm sounds vedy interstink! I was going to pass on this one... but maybe not now!

JEFF d
EAP fan

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:30 am

JLGB wrote:How many out from that label?

Is it the fifth?

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:36 am

Thomas wrote:Well, two of the recordings I mean can be found on the Import CD's "Getting Down To Business" (August 30 1973 DS) and "We Don't Care What They Like" (September 2nd 1973 MS).

I don't remember these escapes...err... releases. Is the sound on them simular to the LV '73 show on the first Profile box set?

JEFF d
EAP fan

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:56 am

JLGB wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:Just received the new Straight Arrow CD and for once the phrase "almost soundboard quality" is correct!! This is a great tape. Has me wondering if it is one of those "booth" tapes. There is little extraneous audience noise, and the show sound is crystal clear!!

How many out from that label?

The only escape...err... release I have from this label is "Pieces Of My Life" and I absolutely love this cd, it is my favorite show from 1975. The sound is not perfect, but still very very good.

I am a fan of audience recordings as long as its a good show and doens't sound like it was recorded from the parking lot.

JEFF d
EAP fan

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:13 am

how does a person get one of these cd's

Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:26 am

:shock: Ask around at good quality Elvis shops aropund the world or failing that ebay! :roll:

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:28 am

Thomas wrote:
JLGB wrote:How many out from that label?

Is it the fifth?
Thank you.