All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

A "new" Vegas 1973 soundboard CD is announced

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:20 pm

Friends, what are your thoughts on this one:

http://www.elvisnews.com/Presentation/F ... &item=8569

It looks like a straight copy of Fort Baxter's "It's A Matter Of Time", but I don't own that particular CD so I don't know for sure. I wonder if these Gravel Road Music fellas are related to the Graceland fellas who released "Closing Night" a couple of months back? They also borrowed stuff from old Baxter releases...

Here is some info on the original CD:

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/mattertime.html

Keith Richards, Jr.

Re: A "new" Vegas 1973 soundboard CD is announced

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:37 pm

The new Gravel Road Music label will release a soundboard from Elvis' dinner show performance from February 3, 1973 at the Las Vegas Hilton. Part of this concert has previously been released on the import release "Its A Matter of Time".

Which part?

The show featured on the "It's A Matter Of Time" CD is supposedly from February 5th.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:39 pm

It is strange that they don't say upfront what part belongs to Feb 5. The tracklisting seems to be the same as Feb 5.

Francesc

the reissiung crew

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:51 pm

looking forward to the booklet, its a matter of time release i doubt much improvement can be made on the sound quality as the baxter one was spot on imo.
but hey i may get "ill remember you" from the shelf send to the cd factory and bring it out again with a new cover :roll:

do we need all these re pressings NO unless better sound or a totally new date which is what we lack

Hey ftd please release norfolk july 75! :)

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:05 pm

Looks like a straight copy of It's A Matter Of Time to me, but I hope I am proved wrong. This phrase in the promotional blurb is a bit weird:

"Some might know this under a different date , but it’s not to compare with this release"

Matter Of Time is 5th February, this one says it is 3rd February, but also says "Part of this concert has previously been released on the import release "Its A Matter of Time"." :smt017

These guys really ought to make themselves clear!!! Because they have not, I fear the worst :cry:

I agree with Daz that IAMOT sounds pretty ok as it is.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:08 pm

This was not a good period for Elvis... and disappointing based on his recent accomplishment with the satellite telecast. Elvis is obviously heavily medicated and disinterested during this engagement... at least from what is evident from the two performances we have on soundboard (Don't Think Twice / It's A Matter Of Time). Re-issue or not... these shows are a bore to listen to.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:22 am

Don't you think that there's nothing like acquiring a 35 dollar booklet.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:31 am

Thomas wrote:Don't you think that there's nothing like acquiring a 35 dollar booklet.

$35? Surely you jest Thomas?? :lol:

Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 am

My seller is a bit expensive ... I try to tell him all the time but he just won't listen :wink:

Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:44 am

Thomas wrote:My seller is a bit expensive ... I try to tell him all the time but he just won't listen :wink:

Here's a tip: STOP BUYING FROM HIM!!!

Let's wait and see

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:14 am

I know that Its matter of time is originally from the 3th as you can find on several websites listed so I guess they reffer to that.
The tracklist is the same as Its a matter of time, only its a matter of time is missing here. At least they changed the title too.

So I expect at the least a real improvement, like a guy said on Elvisnews
something like The Hampton road concert of Triangle compared to Vicky cd.
In that way it should be justified.
Lets see, would be stupid killing the cd before hearing it.
Didn't Madison do this with Power of Zhazam ? It turned out that One night only was an improvement.

Still very happy with the One night only :D

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:59 am

It's a little bit different than One Night Only. From the baginning we knew the concert was the one from Boston.

Their "press release" is a little bit shady, it's a new soundboard but some parts were from It's A Matter of Time ...some or all? which ones?

Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:43 am

I don't have either of the imports from the Jan./Feb. '73 Vegas stand, so I'll just hold out for FTD to release something. I suspect we'll get something in the very rear future (that's a hint Ernst :) ).

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:47 am

I like that cover, very niceley done! I will happily welcome it into my collection 8)

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:53 am

someone should release the full show the song it's a matter of time comes from.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:11 am

Too bad it doens't appear to be a new show from 1973. It will be good for fans to get that don't have this show already and the design looks good.

JEFF d
EAP fan

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:25 am

ritchie valens wrote:someone should release the full show the song it's a matter of time comes from.

I have that August 25, 1973 performance (audience recording)... Elvis cracks up during Fever in that show and has difficulty recovering... fairly decent show. I haven't heard it in quite some time but I think it's the same show.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:04 am

elvis-fan wrote:I have that August 25, 1973 performance (audience recording)...

"It's A Matter Of Time" was done at the 25 August 1973 MS.

I'd wait on this "new" release until more information is known.

Here are two more reviews of the original 1993 import:

It's A Matter Of Time

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:55 am

Wait for the Fort Baxter reissue! And remember,in last year there was a CD or CD-R which contained the Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo shows with ugly cover and WITHOUT any sound improvement or bonus tracks. Just a few months later F.B. reissued the same shows (under the title: SHAKIN' UP THE GREAT LAKES) and the sound quality was better,the booklet was great and there were even unreleased tracks on that CD.
Support F.B. and their classic series and ignore these amateur grabbers!
Last edited by Johanesson on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

a new vegas

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:03 am

... from the same wankers who led you to believe Closing Night 70

was to be a great improvement, and complete, and it wasnt.

They took 2 excisting cd titles, and pasted them together. Presto,

a 'new' cd. Now they ripping off Its a matter of Time, improve the

sound somewhat... put a booklet with it, and presto one more time!

... The original Baxter release had the date incorrect. But no matter

the original date, this new boot is simply stolen from IAMOTime.

What was that about owing respect to the bootleggers, as

discussed on a recent thread?... Count these mothers out.

They are ordinary thiefs. The old mr. Baxter knows who you

guys are... better not bump into him, when he's in one of his

grumpy moods.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:54 am

elvis-fan wrote:Re-issue or not... these shows are a bore to listen to.

For some maybe. I don't think I've ever been bored listening to an Elvis concert. Certainly not one from 1973.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Ignore this crap. Still, there are always people who haven't this recording in their collection, due to the fact IAMOT(FB) is hard to get.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:47 pm

3577 wrote:Ignore this crap. Still, there are always people who haven't this recording in their collection, due to the fact IAMOT(FB) is hard to get.

Back to the insoluble question of is a repackaging necessarily crap??

I say no: if it comes with improved sound and quality artwork it is not "crap". That is not to say that it is essential either of course!!

A bit of honesty would not go amiss in this case I feel.

There is a massive difference between One Night Only and Power of Zhazam - this is because Zhazam was real bad sound to start with. And the new release was a better "source tape". Not so with this one, so a noticeable difference is highly unlikely.

One Night Only will prove to be the exception rather than the rule in the repackaging game.

Re: Let's wait and see

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:21 pm

[quote="Thekingstillrocks"]I know that Its matter of time is originally from the 3th as you can find on several websites listed so I guess they reffer to that.
The tracklist is the same as Its a matter of time, only its a matter of time is missing here. At least they changed the title too.

To Thekingstillrocks,

What sites mention IAMOT is from the 3rd ?

Re: Let's wait and see

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:04 pm

Rob V wrote:
What sites mention IAMOT is from the 3rd ?

Fair question - I have tried to check this out today with no luck!!