All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:47 pm

DarrylMac wrote:
Yes, that's how it works with drug addicts...one day good, one day bad...

A very compassionate comment! Perhaps it's equally valid to make that statement about people who are suffering with depression.

Yes, drugs impacted on Elvis ability to perform, but to say every good, or bad show, or every good, or bad day he had was down to whether Elvis was, or wasn't on drugs doesn't offer Elvis much compassion, does it? Depression, and other ailments were also part of the picture.

I liked the clip very much. It was a long way from Elvis greatest ever performance, but it shows that in the last few months of his life, he was still sometimes happy, lively, and able to have fun, and for that reason, I'm glad I saw it.

Well, of course drugs impacted on Elvis ability to perform especially in 1976 and 1977. The man was sick and a drug addict. And I don't think that I have to show compassion. It was Elvis' choice to life that way and it was his choice to be on a podium instead of a hospital. In Chicago he had a good day that is also clear to me. And I liked the clip also. But I don't have to defend Elvis in his lifestyle...

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:One question i'd really like answered: why was Elvis so up for this night to do a roll across the floor in 1977?!!! The only thing i can think of is he read the previous nights review, and wanted to prove them wrong for the second night ...

It's doubtful Elvis read the review, in 1977 they were kept far away, and critics never return to do a "second night" anyway.

Presley may've been inspired by the CBS-TV Special producers in town to preview his show for the June taping. They attended either the first or the second evening in Chicago.

As the CBS production crew - Bill Harbach (btw: son of Otto Halbach) and long-time collaborators Gary Smith and Dwight Hemion - only attended the first show, something else must have inspired Elvis. However, since Elvis was sued earlier that same day by Joe Esposito (and others) for withdrawing his support in the Centre Court Inc.- project, I doubt there was a rational reason for Elvis to be inspired.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:40 pm

Capt. Ross Carpenter wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:
rickeap wrote:Yes, that's how it works with drug addicts...one day good, one day bad...

It's disappointing that `fans' have to resort to this sort of comment when actually discussing a positive performance from Elvis' final months
rick

I know the truth is hard to hear....

The truth came out thirty years ago, it's just that some of us get sick of being beaten over the head with it.

Well said Captain :wink:

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:36 am

E-Cat wrote:As the CBS production crew - Bill Harbach (btw: son of Otto Halbach) and long-time collaborators Gary Smith and Dwight Hemion - only attended the first show, something else must have inspired Elvis. However, since Elvis was sued earlier that same day by Joe Esposito (and others) for withdrawing his support in the Centre Court Inc.- project, I doubt there was a rational reason for Elvis to be inspired.

Given this information, maybe Elvis was envisioning kicking Joe's ass from Chicago -- Esposito's hometown -- to Memphis. It wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
E-Cat wrote:As the CBS production crew - Bill Harbach (btw: son of Otto Halbach) and long-time collaborators Gary Smith and Dwight Hemion - only attended the first show, something else must have inspired Elvis. However, since Elvis was sued earlier that same day by Joe Esposito (and others) for withdrawing his support in the Centre Court Inc.- project, I doubt there was a rational reason for Elvis to be inspired.

Given this information, maybe Elvis was envisioning kicking Joe's ass from Chicago -- Esposito's hometown -- to Memphis. It wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Ironically enough. ...Elvis even introduced Joe on stage...'

Note: it was Gary who presented the unedited raw CBS footage to Elvis.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:40 am

E-Cat wrote:Note: it was Gary who presented the unedited raw CBS footage to Elvis.

Is it at all known what Elvis thought about these tapes? It must've made him feel very depressed -- he knew he did not look his best.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:40 am

E-Cat wrote:Note: it was Gary who presented the unedited raw CBS footage to Elvis.

Is this the rumoured screening of the Omaha show footage made to Elvis after said concert or were both Rapid City and Omaha shown to him at the end of the tour?

Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:17 am

Is this the rumoured screening of the Omaha show footage made to Elvis after said concert or were both Rapid City and Omaha shown to him at the end of the tour?

No, it was the raw footage being presented to Elvis at the end of the summer.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
E-Cat wrote:Note:it was Gary who presented the unedited raw CBS footage to Elvis.

Is it at all known what Elvis thought about these tapes? It must've made him feel very depressed -- he knew he did not look his best.

Though it is no secret that Elvis was not happy and prepared at all, one should not forget that Elvis (Vernon) was very much aware that he needed the money badly and that he was very eager to prove the upcoming book wrong.
From a production point of view, the footage so far did not produce enough usuable (editing) footage, so the rumors that more footage was shot later that month are true indeed . Also, footage was planned to be shot from the tour starting at Portland - Aug 17th.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:39 am

`The truth came out thirty years ago, it's just that some of us get sick of being beaten over the head with it.'

Well said Captain
Rick

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:40 am

The truth came out thirty years ago, it's just that some of us get sick of being beaten over the head with it.

sid wrote:
Well said Captain

rickeap wrote:
Well said Captain

Thanks guys.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:45 am

E-Cat wrote:No, it was the raw footage being presented to Elvis at the end of the summer.

From a production point of view, the footage so far did not produce enough usuable (editing) footage, so the rumors that more footage was shot later that month are true indeed . Also, footage was planned to be shot from the tour starting at Portland - Aug 17th.

Thanks E-Cat.

Where was the additional footage shot and have you seen it?
Also, if the initial (Omaha and Rapid City) footage did not provide enough usable footage, then was why wasn't the 'additional' footage used in the Special?

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Is this what he's referring to in the Since Cincinatti when he says "...To all the Espositos in the world..and all the crooks in Chicago.."

Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:28 pm

Well, of course drugs impacted on Elvis ability to perform especially in 1976 and 1977. The man was sick and a drug addict. And I don't think that I have to show compassion. It was Elvis' choice to life that way and it was his choice to be on a podium instead of a hospital. In Chicago he had a good day that is also clear to me. And I liked the clip also. But I don't have to defend Elvis in his lifestyle...

The point is, Tom, that while we all acknowledge that Elvis had problems with drugs, you seem unable to believe that Elvis could have a good day without it being down to drugs.

Maybe he just got out of bed on the right side? Maybe he was just in the right mood to give a better show?

Either way, if we, the fans, are now the ones attributing every thing Elvis did, or didnt do to the drugs, then we've become our own collection of Albert Goldmans.

But I don't have to defend Elvis in his lifestyle

But you didn't defend it - you brought it up in the first place. if you enjoyed the clip, why not just post and say hey, great clip, glad he was having a good day, and leave it at that?

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:47 pm

DarrylMac wrote:

The point is, Tom, that while we all acknowledge that Elvis had problems with drugs, you seem unable to believe that Elvis could have a good day without it being down to drugs.

Maybe he just got out of bed on the right side? Maybe he was just in the right mood to give a better show?

Either way, if we, the fans, are now the ones attributing every thing Elvis did, or didnt do to the drugs, then we've become our own collection of Albert Goldmans.

But you didn't defend it - you brought it up in the first place. if you enjoyed the clip, why not just post and say hey, great clip, glad he was having a good day, and leave it at that?
~

What ever...I just said that it is normal that a drug addict as Elvis can have a good and a bad day , that's all. I know what I am talking about. In Chicago he had a good day. But anyway just look at his Omaha June 19th 1977 show....bad day I guess...but to do you a favour...great clip fellows, great day, great show...and 2 months later he was died because he had too many bad days I guess....come on guys, open your eyes, he had to be in a hospital that time. He was ill, sick and had problems with drugs. I have no problems with that at all, his life, his choice. I just mentioned it.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:54 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:

~

What ever...I just said that it is normal that a drug addict as Elvis can have a good and a bad day , that's all. I know what I am talking about. In Chicago he had a good day. But anyway just look at his Omaha June 19th 1977 show....bad day I guess...but to do you a favour...great clip fellows, great day, great show...and 2 months later he was died because he had too many bad days I guess....come on guys, open your eyes, he had to be in a hospital that time. He was ill, sick and had problems with drugs. I have no problems with that at all, his life, his choice. I just mentioned it.

I think your remark came off as insensitive Ton, that's all.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:56 pm

Joe Car wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:

~

I think your remark came off as insensitive Ton, that's all.

I don't think it has anything to do with insensitivity. that's all.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:21 am

Elvis was deeply addicted to opiates and barbiturates in the final months of his life. Don't be naive, the only way to have a "good day" by then and not appear like a zombie was to take more drugs, but with the opposite effects, namely amphetamines.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:49 am

Elvis Presley quote: "I'd rather be unconcious, than feeling miserable..."

Remember attack I,II&III?

But clips like these from Chicago actually give me the impression Elvis could have been saved :?
Great vocals & so much energy..

'77:

Elvis didn't want to record in the studio anymore.
Great Hawaiian vacation, but too short to make a difference.
By April, Elvis lost some weight..
A too young girlfriend who rather stuck with her family (I can't blame her)
Sadly, during the May tour, Elvis was heavier again.
He lost every bit of hope knowing the bodyguard book came out.

Not even motivated to get in shape for a national TV special :x
Elvis only started a diet few days before going on tour.
No rehearsals, nothing...

Influenced my medication,
Elvis still made plans about marriage, movies, world tours, & a new staff.
Truth is, Elvis was finished by the summer of '77...

Calling Elvis a drug addict is easy.
It is the truth, but Elvis also suffered depression and many physical problems.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:05 am

E-Cat wrote:No, it was the raw footage being presented to Elvis at the end of the summer.

Thanks E-Cat.

Where was the additional footage shot and have you seen it?

Additional fan footage was shot in front of Pershing Municipal Auditorium in Lincoln and there is some fan footage from Des Moines, there is also more backstage footage (Elvis talking to his father and footage from the dressing room), some footage from Indianapolis and some more footage from Graceland.

Capt. Ross Carpenter wrote:Also, if the initial (Omaha and Rapid City) footage did not provide enough usable footage, then was why wasn't the 'additional' footage used in the Special?

Some of the footage was used in the CBS Special (flashes of arriving in Lincoln, Des Moines, etc), but as far as concert footage concerns - and don't forget that footage from the June 20th concert in Lincoln was planned but canceled the last minute-, there just was no other usuable concert footage left to be included in the special.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:06 am

the PSA footage isn't all that 'unusual' for 1977 performances, but the end of the reprise of hurt is excellent because he moves completely by surprise and quickly too-fantastic to see, i wonder did the producers of the Elvis in concert special miss all of this because they viewed Elvis on 1st May 1977 only??
zero doubt that 2nd of May show was a good one-great to see again!. :lol:

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:36 pm

But i would've rathered not seen that moment and him in a hospital by the beginning of 1976. Too bad 3 and a half months after this happy concert, he was gone. Unbelievable!! :(

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:15 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:But i would've rathered not seen that moment and him in a hospital by the beginning of 1976. Too bad 3 and a half months after this happy concert, he was gone. Unbelievable!! :(

Well, after the March'77 tour cancellations, Elvis checked in at Baptist memorial hospital.
He left after a few days... I wonder what they told him.

That was the very last chance to tell him the truth..

Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:49 pm

Tell Elvis the thruth ? No way...just impossible...Someone who is addicted to drugs has his own thruth.
"How can you protect a man against himself" ?

Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:17 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:Tell Elvis the thruth ? No way...just impossible...Someone who is addicted to drugs has his own thruth.
"How can you protect a man against himself" ?

Ultimately, one has to want to help themselves, but as in many cases, that's not enough. You need help from outside sources, whether it be family, friends, associates, whatever. Also, given the times, it was kept hidden much better, nowadays anybody would rat you out at a chance for a payday. Things most likely would have been much different had EP lived in todays era.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:11 pm

E-Cat wrote:

No, it was the raw footage being presented to Elvis at the end of the summer.

Hey E-Cat! This is news to me. How do you know this? Where and how was it presented to Elvis? (I have heard that Elvis saw the Omaha footage after the show, but I can't see how there was time to arrange a viewing so fast.)

E-Cat wrote:From a production point of view, the footage so far did not produce enough usuable (editing) footage, so the rumors that more footage was shot later that month are true indeed. Also, footage was planned to be shot from the tour starting at Portland - Aug 17th.

Again, I have to ask how you got this information? What I've read elsewhere is that the CBS Special was edited and finished by the time Elvis died, only Vernon's part at the end was added later. There have been rumours around for a long time, that the Indianapolis show was filmed, but no evidence has been presented so far. Yes, more footage was shot on the June tour, but only of fans and buildings, etc. (There is also a rumour that they filmed Elvis at Graceland in July, but since nothing has ever surfaced and no one close to Elvis has ever mentioned it, I really can't believe such a thing ever happened.)

I'm not saying you are wrong, but it would be nice to hear what your sources are, have you talked to Gary Smith or Dwight Hemion?