All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:48 am

Yes, Jim Dandy I believe he does say `God Damn you'
Rick

Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:31 am

sid wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:During the finale of Hurt, does Elvis say "God damn you"?

Jim Dandy, where can I find the photo of your avatar, I just love it :D

It is awesome isn't it! Thanks for the great clip btw 70sElvisIsTheBest.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:24 am

sid wrote:

Jim Dandy, where can I find the photo of your avatar, I just love it :D

Just nick it from here - copy it. Easy done!

Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:24 am

wow great and surprising 1977 stuff...just goes to show what Larry Geller wrote about this show in his diary book was TRUE! great show and much,MUCH better than on 1st in Chicago 1977(see Tunzi book!).

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:12 am

70sElvisIsTheBest wrote:Very true, but at least Elvis started the Saginaw show on a positive note with beginning with Thats Allright Mama and then going into Trouble. Again, I had no idea just how good this chicago show really was until I saw it. During Love Me, some fan throws something on stage and E grabs it with his feet and jumpkicks it up to him....very rare for this time period. What a world of difference between the night before and the night after.

Yes, that's how it works with drug addicts...one day good, one day bad...

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:15 pm

WOW!!!!.................... Elvis performed like this in 1977?!!! That was truly unbelievable. This was a time when he was overweight and supposed to be ill and dying on stage as some may say. Then he comes up with this?!!!

I tell you what, i'm shaking after seeing that, no lie. That was possibly one of The Kings greatest performances, that roll at the reprise of Hurt gave me the biggest smile to my face i've had in a while. I had to replay it back to truly believe it

Thanks so much for sharingt hat with us, and god bless Youtube, and long live the King!!! :D :D :D

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:18 pm

Yes, he does!

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:19 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:That was possibly one of The Kings greatest performances ...

Oh, please ...

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:02 pm

Put in context of the era it certainly is a great performance
rick

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:05 pm

yep....

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:40 pm

I find it utterly fascinating that such clips as those from the second show in Chicago stirs up such emotions as this thread does. That someone,almost 30 years later, can go absolutely ga ga over a 42 year old man rolling around on the floor. Amazing! :D
Not that I didn't enjoy his performance and had a big smile on my face while watching it.
To me it just goes to show that myths grow paralell with the passing of time. What I mean is that Elvis, though certainly in big trouble at this time in his life, did not spend all his life isolated and whacked out of his mind, thinking about killling drug dealers and what not.
Some days were better than others, sometimes he did just normal things..drinking his coffee, reading his newpaper, riding his motorcycle, laugh and enjoy himself. Believe it or not.
I'm sure those things occurred more seldom than back in the "good old days", but yes, they occurred.
Still, whatching our guy being able to roll on the floor and then conclude that it was one of his greatest performances is laughable at best.
No matter how could "for 1977", it's light years away from his peak.
Just my two cents (or when seeing how wordy this got...my two dollars)

Eivind
Last edited by Eivind on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:15 pm

I enjoyed the fact that Elvis seemed happy performing that night, and given how we perceive 1977, for that period it was a solid performance.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:41 pm

I enjoy watching the response he gets from the Sweets at the conclusion of "Hurt". They obviously got a kick out of it.

It's pretty plain to see that he was feeling good on this night.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:21 pm

And now almost 30 years later we all get another kick out of watching something that we didn`t expected to see from a 77 concert, that`s just great. To all those who never really took notice of the 77 performances, one almost want to say, "What did I say, he could still do it in 77" You just watch him....... :wink:

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:32 am

its common knowledge that '77 Elvis wasnt '70 Elvis, however, I like the Elvis charm of '75 - '77 that wasnt there in the earlier '70s.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:22 am

70sElvisIsTheBest wrote:... I like the Elvis charm of '75 - '77 that wasnt there in the earlier '70s.

Yeah, Elvis was a real stick in the mud on stage in 1969 and 1970.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:30 am

Joe Car wrote:I enjoyed the fact that Elvis seemed happy performing that night, and given how we perceive 1977, for that period it was a solid performance.

Ditto Joe :D

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:48 am

A very compassionate comment! Perhaps it's equally valid to make that statement about people who are suffering with depression.

Yes, drugs impacted on Elvis ability to perform, but to say every good, or bad show, or every good, or bad day he had was down to whether Elvis was, or wasn't on drugs doesn't offer Elvis much compassion, does it? Depression, and other ailments were also part of the picture.

I liked the clip very much. It was a long way from Elvis greatest ever performance, but it shows that in the last few months of his life, he was still sometimes happy, lively, and able to have fun, and for that reason, I'm glad I saw it.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:41 am

It's disappointing that `fans' have to resort to this sort of comment when actually discussing a positive performance from Elvis' final months
rick

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:32 am

One question i'd really like answered: why was Elvis so up for this night to do a roll across the floor in 1977?!!! The only thing i can think of is he read the previous nights review, and wanted to prove them wrong for the second night

I really don't care what he was on when he did this show. This is extremely rare for 1977. Oh and i forgot to comment on the 3 'circle kicks' he did at the endo f Polk Salad Annie. That was awesome 8)

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:24 am

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:One question i'd really like answered: why was Elvis so up for this night to do a roll across the floor in 1977?!!! The only thing i can think of is he read the previous nights review, and wanted to prove them wrong for the second night ...

It's doubtful Elvis read the review, in 1977 they were kept far away, and critics never return to do a "second night" anyway.

Presley may've been inspired by the CBS-TV Special producers in town to preview his show for the June taping. They attended either the first or the second evening in Chicago.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:One question i'd really like answered: why was Elvis so up for this night to do a roll across the floor in 1977?!!! The only thing i can think of is he read the previous nights review, and wanted to prove them wrong for the second night ...

It's doubtful Elvis read the review, in 1977 they were kept far away, and critics never return to do a "second night" anyway.

Presley may've been inspired by the CBS-TV Special producers in town to preview his show for the June taping. They attended either the first or the second evening in Chicago.

That is the most logical and sane reason why Elvis was "up" that night.

I believe that CBS were not convinced a sub-par Elvis would have appeal. And as Elvis and The Colonel were getting into dire straits money wise I believe that Elvis was firmly told to pull out as many stops as possible that night.

If death had not intervened it is most probable that the special would have never seen the light of day.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:54 am

I think it would have actually, because they signed on because they needed the money anyway.
But Doc that sounds like a good reason, but i never knew this actually. What a shock they would've got if they saw the performance in Chicago to see him in the train wreck that was Omaha, only cleared up so little by Rapid City.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:06 pm

rickeap wrote:Yes, that's how it works with drug addicts...one day good, one day bad...

It's disappointing that `fans' have to resort to this sort of comment when actually discussing a positive performance from Elvis' final months
rick

I know the truth is hard to hear....

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:42 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:
rickeap wrote:Yes, that's how it works with drug addicts...one day good, one day bad...

rick

I know the truth is hard to hear....

The truth came out thirty years ago, it's just that some of us get sick of being beaten over the head with it.