All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:04 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:
elvislennon wrote:I believe they will sell well because there is many fans who hates outtakes and so on. We are in the minority on that. Yea, you can post a poll up on here but it doesn't reach to the general public. Alot of people I personally know who likes Elvis alot hates outtakes and so on. They like just the program itself if it is Aloha, 68, or any of the movies. They just like watching the the main movie.


Interesting that you know so many people who "hates" outtakes... What about all the movies that are released on DVD nowadays as 2 or 3-disc sets? You always have the original movie, but then you can watch trailers, deleted scenes, bloopers, a director's cut version or whatever... What's there to hate about that? If you like Elvis enough to go out and buy an "Elvis On Tour" DVD, I find it hard to believe you'd be disappointed to get an extra disc of outtakes as well... ???



Tell me where I say I would be disappointed on the outtakes? I said people I know that hates outtakes.
I can introduce you a very big Elvis fan but they have said many times that they don't want the DVDs because the movies are in widescreen. They want Fullscreen. Only a few of his movies are release in full screen that is on DVD.
As for two or three discs. Most of the time only a one disc is release first. Like Titanic, I seen people passby the three disc set so many times. They are looking for the one disc because the whole movie is on one side. Gone With The Wind is another example. There is two releases of this as well. One has the whole movie on one side, one disc. Another release has the movie on two sides. So they try there best to get a one disc release if it isn't available. I can show you a flea market where you can look in any trash can and find the remaining of the discs if it is from a two disc set, three, or more. They have thrown away the other discs. The only exception is the tv shows. Which are more than one disc.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:02 am

i am waiting on a se version of eot.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:25 pm

Well, you will be waiting for a while. Elvis On Tour will be release only as a one disc set and that it will only have a theaterical trailer on it. That is what I hearing from people now from Warner Brothers.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:28 pm

ritchie valens wrote:i am waiting on a se version of eot.



this will be very interesting - hope this comes out real soon so that it can accompany the ttwii s.e. dvd version . :wink:

Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:04 pm

elvislennon wrote:Tell me where I say I would be disappointed on the outtakes? I said people I know that hates outtakes.
I can introduce you a very big Elvis fan but they have said many times that they don't want the DVDs because the movies are in widescreen. They want Fullscreen. Only a few of his movies are release in full screen that is on DVD.
As for two or three discs. Most of the time only a one disc is release first. Like Titanic, I seen people passby the three disc set so many times. They are looking for the one disc because the whole movie is on one side. Gone With The Wind is another example. There is two releases of this as well. One has the whole movie on one side, one disc. Another release has the movie on two sides. So they try there best to get a one disc release if it isn't available. I can show you a flea market where you can look in any trash can and find the remaining of the discs if it is from a two disc set, three, or more. They have thrown away the other discs. The only exception is the tv shows. Which are more than one disc.


Yes, but don't you think the success of the 68 Special 3 disc set and the failure of TTWII SE is evidence that an Elvis release will sell more if it is a multi-disc set with many outtakes? I'm not quite sure I can see your point here? Maybe Titanic buyers only want the main feature, but I don't think anyone has thrown disc 2 and 3 of the 68 Special in the trash can! If they did they're crazy! :wink: Getting a movie on 2 sides of one disc is a drag, I agree, but that is pretty unusual, anyway and only happens with very long movies.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:44 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:
elvislennon wrote:Tell me where I say I would be disappointed on the outtakes? I said people I know that hates outtakes.
I can introduce you a very big Elvis fan but they have said many times that they don't want the DVDs because the movies are in widescreen. They want Fullscreen. Only a few of his movies are release in full screen that is on DVD.
As for two or three discs. Most of the time only a one disc is release first. Like Titanic, I seen people passby the three disc set so many times. They are looking for the one disc because the whole movie is on one side. Gone With The Wind is another example. There is two releases of this as well. One has the whole movie on one side, one disc. Another release has the movie on two sides. So they try there best to get a one disc release if it isn't available. I can show you a flea market where you can look in any trash can and find the remaining of the discs if it is from a two disc set, three, or more. They have thrown away the other discs. The only exception is the tv shows. Which are more than one disc.


Yes, but don't you think the success of the 68 Special 3 disc set and the failure of TTWII SE is evidence that an Elvis release will sell more if it is a multi-disc set with many outtakes? I'm not quite sure I can see your point here? Maybe Titanic buyers only want the main feature, but I don't think anyone has thrown disc 2 and 3 of the 68 Special in the trash can! If they did they're crazy! :wink: Getting a movie on 2 sides of one disc is a drag, I agree, but that is pretty unusual, anyway and only happens with very long movies.


Umm, you are sadly mistaken. I can show you the DVD reviews from on both and most people like the TTWII SE better than the 68 Deluxe Edition. I been to the stores around my area and they don't even sell the 68 Special anymore because of the facts that one, it cost a little too much and 2 that the outtakes are simply boring. Those facts comes directly from the store people themselves. They carry the Aloha From Hawaii Editons but it is only 15 dollars here. The 68 was about 40 dollars here. So the stores sent them mostly back. The single disc of the 68 Comeback Special was a smash hit in my area because it was cheap.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:24 am

elvislennon wrote:Well, you will be waiting for a while. Elvis On Tour will be release only as a one disc set and that it will only have a theaterical trailer on it. That is what I hearing from people now from Warner Brothers.


Geezzz, is this the best they can come up with?

Do they consider EOT a commercial risk?
The huge success of Aloha & '68 comeback proved otherwise.

EOT needs to be cleaned up.
It's a 1972 movie for god's sake, but part of the content is timeless.
If handled in the right way, this movie can create the ultimate concert experience.

Only If if if........ :(

Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:25 am

elvislennon wrote:
elvislennon wrote:
elvislennon wrote:They want Fullscreen.............I can show you a flea market where you can look in any trash can and find the remaining of the discs if it is from a two disc set, three, or more. They have thrown away the other discs.

....facts that one, it cost a little too much and 2 that the outtakes are simply boring.........


Two words come to mind....UNEDUCATED and STUPIDITY!


Facts....my ARSE! It is called OPINION! Cost is irrelevant when such fantastic material is presented in such a great package and anyone that would find the outtakes boring isn't much of a fan! This multi-disc '68 set is the best release ever for Elvis!

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:25 am

I am not saying that EOT deserves a better release. I am saying that it needs to have time to deal with. If you think that 68 Deluxe Edition was so successful then why that many stores don't carry it anymore. Expalin that to me. I have it in my collection but one of my friends has been looking for it for a year now and has no luck yet. He see Aloha everywhere and has that but he is looking for the 68 Special. I have been to FYE, Walmart, KMart, MovieStop, Best Buy, Circuit City and many other places and they don't carry it anymore. They all tell me the same thing that they haven't been selling it at there stores. The only place you can get the 68 Special Deluxe Edition is on the internet. Cost may irrelevant but most of the people I know can't afford it. So I made them copies of mine and sell them for 10 bucks. Yea, even though I sold them copies. I told them that if any problems comes up that you have a lifetime deal with me until you get the real ones. But I did help them out a little. They won't release the outtakes of either TTWII or EOT because most of the footage is damage. So I don't see them releasing the footage. It was different for 68 and Aloha because they was taped.

easy to get

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:20 pm

Lennon,

I can't believe you're friends have tried very hard - have they never heard of ordering? Or going on line? Have they tried specialist music stores like HMV/Virgin/Tower Records? All of which carry the 68 Special. In fact you can get the 68 Special at any half decent store in the UK including Woolworths.

I don't agree with copying discs and selling them on. How on earth can we pursued Warner Brothers to do a good job if people like you are illegally copying.

In the UK I haven't come across anyone who would turn the're nose up at extra material even if they don't want to watch it. Special Edition DVD's are cheap after a while anyway - check out Play.Com.

Bring on EOT SE I say with upgraded picture and sound (DTS). Or even better what about HD?

cheers Jamie

Re: easy to get

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:36 pm

Jamie wrote:Lennon,

I can't believe you're friends have tried very hard - have they never heard of ordering? Or going on line? Have they tried specialist music stores like HMV/Virgin/Tower Records? All of which carry the 68 Special. In fact you can get the 68 Special at any half decent store in the UK including Woolworths.

I don't agree with copying discs and selling them on. How on earth can we pursued Warner Brothers to do a good job if people like you are illegally copying.

In the UK I haven't come across anyone who would turn the're nose up at extra material even if they don't want to watch it. Special Edition DVD's are cheap after a while anyway - check out Play.Com.

Bring on EOT SE I say with upgraded picture and sound (DTS). Or even better what about HD?

cheers Jamie



Yes, they heard of it but at those stores you have to have a credit card or debt card. They don't have either of those. That is why I made the copies for them. I bought my copy of 68 Comeback from MovieStop and it was the last one. The guy who runs it told me that he is glad that I was buying it because they have had no luck in selling it. So that is why I made those copies. I didn't make any money on the copies anyway. The cds I use are printables and they cost me about 2.50 for each one. I printed the covers in high quality as well. I usually don't sell anything but they didn't have anything I was wanting. As for HMV/Virgin/Tower Records, none is located in my area. The nearest one is over a hundred miles away from me. Gas too high here and I am ordering anything for anyone that will cost me about 40 dollars worth of gas. So they have tried every means that they can do so in my book that is trying very hard. They also can't order from On Line because as I have said they have no credit or debt cards.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:41 pm

Yes, but don't you think the success of the 68 Special 3 disc set and the failure of TTWII SE is evidence that an Elvis release will sell more if it is a multi-disc set with many outtakes?


No. I think the relative failure of TTWII SE is mainly down to the fact they showed it on TV before they released it in the stores, and with extra songs included. Talk about a schoolboy error! They also promised the songs that had been cut from the original moview, and changed their minds on that too, despite the fact the work had already been done.

anyone that would find the outtakes boring isn't much of a fan!


Deke - I own the 3 DVD 68 package, and although I love having the live shows in their entirety, some of the multiple takes can get a little tedious, and believe me, I am a huge fan! The stuff with susan henning was quite interesting, but I can't say i've actually sat through disc 3 without getting a little bored. It is, however, a great product, as is the Aloha DVD set, despite the lack of press conferences, which they then included in the single DVD. :roll:

As for the guy who can't find a 3 disc set, he's just not looking. They're widely available on Ebay, or Amazon. Selling copies is in no way going to help our cause in getting other DVD's released.

As for EOT, I'd love it to be a 3 disc set, with the original movie, one complete show and highlights from the others / rehearsals etc, but in all likely hood, that's simply not going to happen if they don't believe it will make money.

To be honest, I couldn't really care less about a re-release of TIE, if it's just going to be the orginal film. Nearly all of the material in the film is now available elsewhere, and in the film, it was nearly all edited.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:20 am

The outtakes will get boring after watching it. I been down there too and I am a big Elvis fan. And as I have said, They can't order anything on-line because one no computer two no credit card or debt card.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:50 am

elvislennon,
I find your posts to be hilarious. Granted, I have no earthly idea what you're talking about............do you??

Tom

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:36 am

LesterB wrote:
JLGB wrote:
LesterB wrote:On Tour is already out on the Indian release DVD. The picture and sound (widescreen) is far better than anything before on video or shown on TCM. The official version can't be any better unless they go back and restore the film and sound from the original elements - and they won't do that!

This Is Elvis will just be a straight transfer from the original master not the NUMEROUS individual original master footage sources. That said it will look better than the video in the same way the 61 Show was better on Silver Box set CD version.
you think it is better than laserdisc??


I have only compared the Indian DVD to numerous videos, VCDs and TCMs broadcast - maybe the Indian DVD has used the laser disc for its source? Eitherway, it is hard to see how the picture and sound can be improved without doing a TTWII SE job on it. The sound in particular is so much better than before - nice bass response. We still don't have I GOT A WOMAN and You Gave Me A Mountain from Hampton Roads so the audio on the Indian DVD is nice to have.
Thanks for replying.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:48 pm

DarrylMac wrote:
Yes, but don't you think the success of the 68 Special 3 disc set and the failure of TTWII SE is evidence that an Elvis release will sell more if it is a multi-disc set with many outtakes?


No. I think the relative failure of TTWII SE is mainly down to the fact they showed it on TV before they released it in the stores, and with extra songs included. Talk about a schoolboy error! They also promised the songs that had been cut from the original moview, and changed their minds on that too, despite the fact the work had already been done.


Yeah, that's true also, what a fiasco! - but not everyone could see that TV broadcast, I wasn't even aware of such a broadcast with extra songs at the time.

Promotion was also a lot better for the 68/73 sets, and for a while I saw both sets displayed in every music and dvd store I visited, that never happened with TTWII, not where I live, at least. They did sell pretty good, they were on the DVD best seller lists, after all.

In this era of box sets, multi-dvd sets, a release of an old film without any extras just isn't very attractive to many people. Unless its a low-price release.

Or maybe, as elvislennon says, I have got everything completely wrong!

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:48 pm

DVD sales weren't like they are now when TTWII-SE was released, not even close.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:28 am

I haven't seen "This is Elvis". Is it better than 6.9 of 10 like is in IMDB?
"Elvis On Tour" I have seen, and it as 6.6/10 in IMDB. Probably peoples didn't like that much about documentary about the man, because TTWII has 7.4.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:41 am

"people I know that 'hates' outtakes."


Smeagol? Is that really you?

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:47 am

Joe Car wrote:DVD sales weren't like they are now when TTWII-SE was released, not even close.


Joe, that is true overall, however, if TTWII-SE was not the blunder that it was, you can bet sales would have been much more impressive.

On a seperate note, it would be nice if FTD issued a reissue of the This Is Elvis soundtrack. It was always a fun release with some interesting mixes and considering they can justify issuing Tickle Me, they certainly can reissue This Is Elvis.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:57 am

midnightx wrote:On a seperate note, it would be nice if FTD issued a reissue of the This Is Elvis soundtrack. It was always a fun release with some interesting mixes and considering they can justify issuing Tickle Me, they certainly can reissue This Is Elvis.


I can't argue with that... 8)

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:01 am

I already have the vcd of EOT so unless its a SE then I'll pass.


:)