All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Elvis On Tour and This is Elvis goes on DVD

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:02 pm

I heard this from very good source and it told that Warner is gonna release Elvis On Tour and This is Elvis on DVD in 2007 without any new footage or extras but it is possible that later they'll bring something extra with them. 8)

Elvis On Tour
This is Elvis

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:07 pm

The ghost of Elvis told you that? :wink:

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:45 pm

Nop, Joseph A. Tunzi 8) Thanks to him.

Re: Elvis On Tour and This is Elvis goes on DVD

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:59 pm

changeofhabit wrote:I heard this from very good source and it told that Warner is gonna release Elvis On Tour and This is Elvis on DVD in 2007 without any new footage or extras but it is possible that later they'll bring something extra with them. 8)

Elvis On Tour
This is Elvis

Thanks for this news..
But I already have EOT on DVD.
Widescreen and stereo sound.

To be honest, it's the unreleased stuff in high quality I'm desperately waiting for...

Let's wait and see what happens in '07.... :smt015

Cheers, RJ

Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:05 pm

On Tour is already out on the Indian release DVD. The picture and sound (widescreen) is far better than anything before on video or shown on TCM. The official version can't be any better unless they go back and restore the film and sound from the original elements - and they won't do that!

This Is Elvis will just be a straight transfer from the original master not the NUMEROUS individual original master footage sources. That said it will look better than the video in the same way the 61 Show was better on Silver Box set CD version.

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:47 am

I already have both on DVD, On Tour was bought on DVD and I got This is Elvis transfered to DVD from the VHS. Both have ok sound, so if nothing really new I think I`ll just pass.
I was looking foreward to the NEW This is Elvis, but as I understand that`s not going to happen afterall :(
What I really had hoped for 2007 was a On Tour SE made in the same way that they did TTWII :wink:

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:56 am

I'll buy those and other Warner's new Elvis DVD's. We are not gonna get special edition which are expensive to make if normal edition doesn't make profit.

Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:50 am

changeofhabit wrote:We are not gonna get special edition which are expensive to make if normal edition doesn't make profit.

Thank god for bootleggers!! And why don't movie studio exceutives pull their heads out of their a**es and realize that fans (of all artists) aren't willing to buy the same product twice!! Heck, at least not me - I'm not willing and never have been willing to buy the same re-re-re-re-re-released christmas album from BMG and I'm certainly not willing to buy a sterlized dvd, only to buy it again with some additional features.

I say; bring out the big cannons now and release everything onto dvd!

Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:23 am

elvisa wrote:and I got This is Elvis transfered to DVD from the VHS.

Me too...and it plays perfectly.

As for eot, I still have my vhs, but I do have many outtakes on dvds...but they do need to release it on dvd, with outtakes included!! Don't see why they would go through the trouble to release the regular EOT on dvd without any new material on it..

Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:35 am

LesterB wrote:On Tour is already out on the Indian release DVD. The picture and sound (widescreen) is far better than anything before on video or shown on TCM. The official version can't be any better unless they go back and restore the film and sound from the original elements - and they won't do that!

This Is Elvis will just be a straight transfer from the original master not the NUMEROUS individual original master footage sources. That said it will look better than the video in the same way the 61 Show was better on Silver Box set CD version.
you think it is better than laserdisc??

Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:30 am

Well maybe this will get the ball rolling with them to have us double and tripple dipping(concerning EOT that is).

JEFF d
EAP fan

Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:05 am

JEFF d wrote:Well maybe this will get the ball rolling with them to have us double and tripple dipping(concerning EOT that is).

JEFF d
EAP fan

Precisely my friend............this is great news, because it means that they are on the long road toward giving us a decent product someday.

Let's see..............it took about 30 years before Aloha was given a decent treatment, and only after we had been sold the same material over and over and over and over and over in every format except smoke signals.

Sooooooo..........that means we should get editions with some actual meaningful and new content around the year 2037. I'll be 80.

They've learned NOTHING from the success of Aloha/68 or the failure of TTWII SE. One would think that the fates of these projects would have taught them some elemental truths.............

1) Release hackjob, redacted content like TTWII, complete with lies in the releases and ON THE COVER about the content, and with a promotional budget that couldn't feed my family at Chucky Cheese, and you get FAILURE.

2) Put some actual never-before-seen content in projects, use care and thought and promotion, and you get success as in Aloha and '68.

3) We are NOT going to triple and quadruple dip for the same old same old in significant numbers anymore. Offer us QUALITY and we will respond. Offer us product we already have, with NO effort put forth into it to make it worthwhile, and lose.

I didn't expect EPE to learn the lesson..........and they clearly haven't (How's that Anthology comin' by the way?? Right back to it after the 90th re-issue of Elvis Christmas carols I hope??)).

But it's disheartening that actual PROFESSIONALS in the media industry seem as dense as the amateurs at EPE.

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:29 pm

My thought is that they will release On Tour and This is Elvis in basic form and it won't sell very well because we all want the extras and then they will say "we are not going to do a expanded release because the sales figures don't justify it"

I can hear it now.

They need to do it right the first time.

RKS

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:35 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:My thought is that they will release On Tour and This is Elvis in basic form and it won't sell very well because we all want the extras and then they will say "we are not going to do a expanded release because the sales figures don't justify it"

I can hear it now.

RKS

Surely Warner must look at the sales figures from Aloha(SE) and 68 Comeback(SE) and that must justify releasing a Elvis On Tour(SE) and This Is Elvis(SE), especially as the 30th Anniversary is just around the corner.

Who works for Warner?? Mickey Mouse?? :roll:

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:39 pm

JLGB wrote:
LesterB wrote:On Tour is already out on the Indian release DVD. The picture and sound (widescreen) is far better than anything before on video or shown on TCM. The official version can't be any better unless they go back and restore the film and sound from the original elements - and they won't do that!

I have only compared the Indian DVD to numerous videos, VCDs and TCMs broadcast - maybe the Indian DVD has used the laser disc for its source? Eitherway, it is hard to see how the picture and sound can be improved without doing a TTWII SE job on it. The sound in particular is so much better than before - nice bass response. We still don't have I GOT A WOMAN and You Gave Me A Mountain from Hampton Roads so the audio on the Indian DVD is nice to have.

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:50 pm

I think we need to realise that neither TTWII or EOT will ever get the treatment they deserve unless somehow EPE can aquire the rights to the footage. Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:26 pm

WildStyle wrote:I think we need to realise that neither TTWII or EOT will ever get the treatment they deserve unless somehow EPE can aquire the rights to the footage. Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

What I want is to have the complete, original, unedited version of "On Tour" on DVD. No cut songs. No mistakes. No special comedy version like "That's The Way It Is". Bonus material would be nice too, but the priority has to be the original film, which deserves to get a proper DVD release.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:00 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:My thought is that they will release On Tour and This is Elvis in basic form and it won't sell very well because we all want the extras and then they will say "we are not going to do a expanded release because the sales figures don't justify it"

I can hear it now.

RKS

My thoughts exactly...........they'll release an absolute crap product, then beat us over the head for not buying.

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:01 am

LesterB wrote:
JLGB wrote:

I have only compared the Indian DVD to numerous videos, VCDs and TCMs broadcast - maybe the Indian DVD has used the laser disc for its source? Eitherway, it is hard to see how the picture and sound can be improved without doing a TTWII SE job on it. The sound in particular is so much better than before - nice bass response. We still don't have I GOT A WOMAN and You Gave Me A Mountain from Hampton Roads so the audio on the Indian DVD is nice to have.

Umm, Let me say that I Got A Woman/Amen, You Gave Me A Mountain and Never Been To Spain is on a import cd. They are in stereo. I have the cd somewhere.

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:03 am

Sean wrote:

I can hear it now.

RKS

Surely Warner must look at the sales figures from Aloha(SE) and 68 Comeback(SE) and that must justify releasing a Elvis On Tour(SE) and This Is Elvis(SE), especially as the 30th Anniversary is just around the corner.

Warner doesn't own Aloha and 68. They are co-owned by NBC and EPE, but I believe the EPE has most of the owner ship. Warner Brothers has nothing to do with them so they can't look at the sale figures.

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:07 am

I can hear it now.

RKS

I believe they will sell well because there is many fans who hates outtakes and so on. We are in the minority on that. Yea, you can post a poll up on here but it doesn't reach to the general public. Alot of people I personally know who likes Elvis alot hates outtakes and so on. They like just the program itself if it is Aloha, 68, or any of the movies. They just like watching the the main movie.

Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:26 pm

elvislennon wrote:Warner doesn't own Aloha and 68. They are co-owned by NBC and EPE, but I believe the EPE has most of the owner ship. Warner Brothers has nothing to do with them so they can't look at the sale figures.

Yes, but even if they didn't have anything to do with 68 and Aloha, they can still learn something from the success of those releases, can't they?

Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:28 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:
elvislennon wrote:Warner doesn't own Aloha and 68. They are co-owned by NBC and EPE, but I believe the EPE has most of the owner ship. Warner Brothers has nothing to do with them so they can't look at the sale figures.

Yes, but even if they didn't have anything to do with 68 and Aloha, they can still learn something from the success of those releases, can't they?

Let's hope so..wish they knew how bad we want to see some new eot material and the same for ttwii... :roll:

Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:32 pm

elvislennon wrote:I believe they will sell well because there is many fans who hates outtakes and so on. We are in the minority on that. Yea, you can post a poll up on here but it doesn't reach to the general public. Alot of people I personally know who likes Elvis alot hates outtakes and so on. They like just the program itself if it is Aloha, 68, or any of the movies. They just like watching the the main movie.

Interesting that you know so many people who "hates" outtakes... What about all the movies that are released on DVD nowadays as 2 or 3-disc sets? You always have the original movie, but then you can watch trailers, deleted scenes, bloopers, a director's cut version or whatever... What's there to hate about that? If you like Elvis enough to go out and buy an "Elvis On Tour" DVD, I find it hard to believe you'd be disappointed to get an extra disc of outtakes as well... ???

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:12 pm

elvislennon wrote:
Sean wrote:

I can hear it now.

RKS

Warner doesn't own Aloha and 68. They are co-owned by NBC and EPE, but I believe the EPE has most of the owner ship. Warner Brothers has nothing to do with them so they can't look at the sale figures.

It takes about 30 seconds and access to Google to find the figures. They're big boys............I think they can manage.