All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:33 am

Shane - sorry, but I don't see, or hear any lyric "problems" with either of those songs in the main show, or any other, apart from a slight hesitation before "record shows" in My Way, but it really is only a slight hesitation. Burning Love, while not having as much bite as the original is well sung, and there were cue cards on hand just in case, and something, while not as good in my opinion as the 1970 versions, is again well delivered. There's some interaction where he's accepting a Lei, and messing with his mike, but no error that I can tell.

In other parts of the show, the only problems with any vocals happen during interaction with the crowd, eg when he bends down for a kiss, and another lei during Steamroller. Same thing in Welcome To My World. He's playing with the crowd during this song, teasing a girl with a scarf. Same during Suspicious minds, when he's playing with the girls on the front row. Seems one minute we're saying he's stilted, and remote, but then when he was interracting, there are complaints the vocals suffered. He coudn't win!

As I said earlier, Aloha is far from Elvis' most exciting show, but I do think he did deliver vocally during this show, escpecially on the ballads.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:00 am

What mistakes are there in "Burning Love" on the main show? It's one of the only times I know of where he does the entire lyric.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:08 am

shanebrown wrote:Spurred on by this mammoth thread I watched the first half of the rehearsal show again this afternoon. He certainly seems to have a bit more spark than in the actual main concert although it is interesting that he forgets words (or whole verses) to Burning Love, Something, My Way and Steamroller Blues - and probably more later in the show, I didn't get beyond It's Over for various reason. What is really bizarre is that he still hadn't managed to learn the words to either Burning Love or Something by the time of the main show - which is quite a big problem considering they were the 2nd and 3rd songs in the show and so any performer is still trying to get "command" over their audience at this point in a performance.

Yes, he was Elvis and so he got away with it. But that's hardly the point. If being a megastar means that you can get away with not learning song lyrics in a show that contains only two new songs (I'm So Lonesome and Welcome To My World) then there is something wrong somewhere. (Yes, there were a number of new songs to the public, but Elvis had performed them all in the past for at least a whole tour or Vegas season)

Surely on an occasion as big as this anyone would have made sure that

(a) they had the words to the songs cemented in their brain
or
(b) after forgetting them in the rehearsal show, throw them out and replace them with "safer" songs.

It just seems slapdash and lazy to me. If his stilted performance was due to intense concentration (as has been put forward here), why did such things happen? Why did he feel it was OK to mumble his way through Something and Welcome To My World as if he cared about neither? I often think that Something was only included so he could Kathy Westmoreland do her high voice bit which seems to send as much of a shiver down presley's spine as it does mine.

Yes, these are relatively small points but, I think relevant ones in showing how this was in fact quite a lazy show with Elvis apparantly putting in less preperation than was obviously required.


Shane, I don't think that back in 1973 Elvis could have imagined in his wildest dreams that this show would still be being viewed some 30+ years later, being viewed multiple times over (via DVD and earlier VHS) and being dissected song by song.
As a one off concert/ TV Special, Elvis' minor 'lyrical slips' (and as LTB points out, I don't recall any mistakes in Burning Love), can be forgiven.
May I suggest you watch a live concert by any modern day performer and you will see that 90% either mime or have stage monitors with lyrics being screened.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:16 am

The Aloha show was/is great. I'll never tire of it. Back in April '73 when it premiered on U.S TV it was an event.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:46 am

Shane -
I've commented on Elvis' performance of Something about 10 pages back. But I'd like to suggest that, in the case of both Something and Welcome To My World, his heart isn't in them because they're love songs and he was extremely down-in-the-dumps over his separation at this time. I don't think either performance is substandard (partcularly the latter song), it's just that he sounds a bit detached or uninvolved.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:12 am

Pete Dube wrote:Shane -
I've commented on Elvis' performance of Something about 10 pages back. But I'd like to suggest that, in the case of both Something and Welcome To My World, his heart isn't in them because they're love songs and he was extremely down-in-the-dumps over his separation at this time. I don't think either performance is substandard (partcularly the latter song), it's just that he sounds a bit detached or uninvolved.


Pete, did you notice a few times during Aloha when doing a ballad, he would move his head a bit side to side, as if he was thinking or remembering something, what I don't know. Did anybody else notice this?

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:15 am

likethebike wrote:What mistakes are there in "Burning Love" on the main show? It's one of the only times I know of where he does the entire lyric.


That's right, 'bike. Elvis kicked the lyric all over the HIC Arena during the rehearsal show, but the performance on the main show was outstanding (with my apologies to Carolyn!). I enjoy the part when Elvis, getting the lyric correct, peeks over towards (presumably) J.D. and chuckles at having gotten the lyric right.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:51 am

You would be surprised how many mega stars have lyrics to their greatest hits taped to the stage or to the fold back speakersany other hadndy stage equipment.

I know because I have collected several.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:10 pm

KHoots wrote:Elvis kicked the lyric all over the HIC Arena during the rehearsal show, but the performance on the main show was outstanding (with my apologies to Carolyn!). I enjoy the part when Elvis, getting the lyric correct, peeks over towards (presumably) J.D. and chuckles at having gotten the lyric right.

He should have done it right. Afterall, during the main show, he had huge lyric sheets made up and put right in front of him.

Whatever works, I guess.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:47 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:You would be surprised how many mega stars have lyrics to their greatest hits taped to the stage or to the fold back speakersany other hadndy stage equipment.

I know because I have collected several.


Very interesting, thanks Alan.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:23 pm

Regarding lyrics:

I think Elvis pulled a bit of a "Brando" on that night -- i.e. cards. And it wasn't the first time.

He seemed to have a weak memory for lyrics throughout his life. His strength was perhaps an emotional memory -- an "ear" for melody and feeling, not words.

There's a prime offender here ........ give "Hey Jude" a whirl. Or better yet ...... DON'T. But perhaps we should exclude that (and other off-the-cuff studio and live cuts where he messed up). It isn't the same as something you should have rehearsed to death for a major live performance.

That said: Elvis still dropped a surprisingly large volume of words and/or botched lines in the "rehearsal" concert. Almost every song contains at least one error (and sometimes more). He often seems distracted or too caught up in a moment. So perhaps it is state of mind; not state of memory. Well, not entirely. If you go with that idea, it takes you back to what I said about Elvis' "ear" ........ for, given enough songs, and not necessarily a ridiculous amount, Elvis always screwed up somewhere. Go and watch those performances from the 50's. There are dropped lyrics there. Go and watch the Comeback Special. There are dropped lyrics there. (Even *with* cuecards -- e.g. 1st standup performance of "Jailhouse Rock"). In these instances, Elvis was able to turn it into a joke on the spot -- such as when he exclaims, "what the hell am I singing, man?" during a sitdown rendition of "One Night". But in the "rehearsal" concert for the AFH special, he only ever jokes after the fact, and the mistakes themselves seem more conspicuous, more naked, more clumsy. In this respect, and many others, perhaps we can honestly say ...... 1973 was the beginning of the end. But AFH still sparkles like a dense jewel.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:48 am

Pete Dube wrote:Shane -
I've commented on Elvis' performance of Something about 10 pages back. But I'd like to suggest that, in the case of both Something and Welcome To My World, his heart isn't in them because they're love songs and he was extremely down-in-the-dumps over his separation at this time. I don't think either performance is substandard (partcularly the latter song), it's just that he sounds a bit detached or uninvolved.


Can't agree with you there Pete.
Both songs were well performed during the satellite telecast... that's possibly why WTMW is used on almost every freakin' reissue done by BMG.
With regard to Elvis being "down-in-the-dumps over his separation"... do you know what Linda looked like back in 1973?... to hell with Priscilla... I'm surprised Elvis could get the smile off his face after having Linda... and they'd only been together about 6 months by that point. I'm pretty sure he didn't have time or the energy to even think about Priscilla with a fox like Linda in his bed...


Image

Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:39 am

elvis-fan wrote:With regard to Elvis being "down-in-the-dumps over his separation"... do you know what Linda looked like back in 1973?... to hell with Priscilla... I'm surprised Elvis could get the smile off his face after having Linda... and they'd only been together about 6 months by that point. I'm pretty sure he didn't have time or the energy to even think about Priscilla with a fox like Linda in his bed...


If only life was that simple...

Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:04 am

shanebrown wrote:nice comments cryogenic.

As with the point of Something and Welcome To My World being aongs he didn't want to sing because the lyrics were too close to home - well why the hell would he sing them then? They were hardly an expected part of an elvis concert! Some people have excuses for everything!


Because he needed previously unrecorded (by Elvis) material for the show, and Something had been in the repertoire since August '70 without appearing on an album, so that made the cut. Welcome To My World was worked up specially for the show. Perhaps Elvis felt it would be a nice message to the worldwide audience.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:21 am

Cryogenic wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:With regard to Elvis being "down-in-the-dumps over his separation"... do you know what Linda looked like back in 1973?... to hell with Priscilla... I'm surprised Elvis could get the smile off his face after having Linda... and they'd only been together about 6 months by that point. I'm pretty sure he didn't have time or the energy to even think about Priscilla with a fox like Linda in his bed...


If only life was that simple...


It can be... and I'm sure it was for Elvis. If you think Elvis sat around all day sobbing over Priscilla you're kidding yourself...

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:39 am

He recorded just as many "broken heart" songs in the 1960's as he did a decade later (if not more). People just associate them with Priscilla in the '70's.
There are too many to try to mention. A few notables are:
Are you Lonesome Tonight
She's Not You
Anything That's Part Of You
Starting Today
Something Blue
Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello


They were in every album just as they were in the '70's.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:55 am

shanebrown wrote:Some people have excuses for everything!


Not excuses Shane (they are not needed), some people provide reasons, there is a difference.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:53 am

Can't go after Dont Think Twice cause it was just jamming . Perhaps reason Elvis was more cautious and even erased stuff for 76 sessions so he would have control of what came out.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:59 pm

shanebrown wrote:In that case he should have erased a bit more!!!


:lol:

Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:38 am

Nothing is clear cut with Elvis Presley, but his approach to songs that aren't necessarily about loss is revealing...

It started in 1970.

Put on even a "lesser" cut from that year, like "Heart of Rome" or "How The Web Was Woven", and there's a sorrow in Elvis' voice. Why should that be there? It makes some sense for "Heart of Rome", but only some, and much less for "How The Web Was Woven", which is meant to be about the perfection of falling in love, but instead is sung with considerable pain and doubt (just listen to the couplet, "At last I'm where you want me/Don't you know that's where I want to be" -- it is rendered with pathos, not joy). In a sense, given the predominant metaphor -- a web -- Elvis is saying he is caught and can't think of a way out.

His body of work needs greater evaluation.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:47 am

Singing with a passion for the lyrics to help convey the story and emotion of the song doesn't necessarily mean Elvis is relating the song to his personal life. Perhaps, just perhaps Elvis enjoyed the moments when recording. Yes, later in the 70s if was an effort to get him to record but when he was finally in the studio, judging from the various released between take banter it is clear he enjoyed himself in the studio.

I think it is a little misguided to continually pull comparisons between all the songs of heartache and sorrow he recorded with his personal life. It is quite possible, and more likely that he performed Welcome To My World because he simply liked the song and nothing more. Plus, it isn't too taxing to rehearse and sing.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:34 am

Matthew wrote:Singing with a passion for the lyrics to help convey the story and emotion of the song doesn't necessarily mean Elvis is relating the song to his personal life. Perhaps, just perhaps Elvis enjoyed the moments when recording. Yes, later in the 70s if was an effort to get him to record but when he was finally in the studio, judging from the various released between take banter it is clear he enjoyed himself in the studio.


I suppose, given that banter is heard on "The Jungle Room Sessions", he was merely enjoying himself there, and one should pay no attention to the actual songs and how they were sung?

Matthew wrote:I think it is a little misguided to continually pull comparisons between all the songs of heartache and sorrow he recorded with his personal life. It is quite possible, and more likely that he performed Welcome To My World because he simply liked the song and nothing more. Plus, it isn't too taxing to rehearse and sing.


You're right -- not every song was a conduit for Elvis' depression. "Welcome To My World" is an excellent example of the null hypothesis (i.e. no depression). But many songs were approached in a more cogent manner. In that same show, in fact, you have the unmistakeable presence of heartwringers like "You Gave Me A Mountain", "It's Over", "What Now My Love" and "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry". The passionate manner in which Elvis tackles these -- as well as the dispassionate manner he tackles opposing fodder like "Something" and "Hound Dog" -- is all part of a larger tapestry. The pieces are all there for critical minds.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:40 am

Cryogenic wrote:I suppose, given that banter is heard on "The Jungle Room Sessions", he was merely enjoying himself there, and one should pay no attention to the actual songs and how they were sung?


Not at all, no where in my post did I state Elvis never related what he was singing to his personal life, or indeed picked a song because of how he felt. I do think Elvis gets a little over analysed at times and this was one of those times hence my post.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:45 am

Matthew wrote:Not at all, no where in my post did I state Elvis never related what he was singing to his personal life, or indeed picked a song because of how he felt.


I know. And that wasn't the thrust of my remark. This is: I'm still not sure how/why between-take banter can be used as a yardstick for ascertaining whether Elvis was relating songs to his life or not in a given session. My example put your specious reasoning firmly in the red.

Matthew wrote:I do think Elvis get a little over analysed at times


That's true.

But I also think he's often under analysed.

It's all about the music and so much more...

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:51 am

Cryogenic wrote:
Matthew wrote:Not at all, no where in my post did I state Elvis never related what he was singing to his personal life, or indeed picked a song because of how he felt.


I know. And that wasn't the thrust of my remark. This is: I'm still not sure how/why between-take banter can be used as a yardstick for ascertaining whether Elvis was relating songs to his life or not in a given session. My example put your specious reasoning firmly in the red.


I was referencing the studio banter as some evidence towards painting the picture of Elvis' mood in the studio, that of generally upbeat and enjoying himself. Other than eye witness accounts its all we have.