All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:11 pm

Capt. Ross Carpenter wrote:
Steve_M wrote:I have just watched the Hampton Roads performance of AYLT? and also listened to it as well.

I see no disrespect or respect lost for the song, I hear of no disrespect for it, quite the contrary, I see Elvis delivers the monologue with apparent concentration etched in his face and punctuating lines with pointed finger.

But I'm blind and deaf it seems.

Bit boring for a live show though, bit too close to the studio master performance - and we can all listen to that on the record.

Boring?
The guy's wife has just left him, he takes to the stage and gives a heartfelt rendition of a song that, at the time struck a nerve within him, and it's a bit boring????

Some people are hard to please.
That to me is sarcasm aimed at me Capt Ross and very well done ...you are fine example cause you believed everything said verbotim.. even though I am not a mind reader...I would bet that Steve likes that performance very much.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:19 pm

Boring?
But apparently, according to JLGB Elvis does disrespect this song during this performance.
[/quote] I did not know I even mentioned that show... :lol: .....must be the cold or hot thing...no luke warm for you Steve. some children disrespect parents entire lives and because on Mothers day or Fathers day or Xmas they respect then it can be shown that they are not disrespectful??? Please....
Last edited by Juan Luis on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:30 pm

Steve_M wrote:
To RC, what is your source for this performance of this striking a nerve inside Elvis ?

Normally I prefer not to divulge my sauces :wink: , but I'm prepared to make this exception.
The rare commitment shown to this song gives the viewer (me), the impression that the singer (Elvis) is singing from the heart, therefore leading me to believe that on this particular night, a cerebral (or possibly cardiac) nerve has been stricken within Elvis.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:38 pm

Last edited by Steve_M on Mon May 28, 2007 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:01 pm

I as in me myself have a little dyslexia...sorry..........................
Last edited by Juan Luis on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:28 pm

Last edited by Steve_M on Mon May 28, 2007 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:19 pm

I think the best description of the Aloha performance is subdued. But I have always thought the true beauty of the performance lies in the extremely varied setlist as far as types of music. I think we all can agree Elvis could sing practically anything and pull it off. Just look at the setlist from start to finish and realize in 60 minutes one performer sang Rock & Roll, Blues, Beatles, Standards, Country, etc. I would dare any performer then or now to try a setlist like that and pull it off as well as Elvis did that night.

But there were reasons for the subdued show and they were, in part:

The satellite feed was only available for roughly 60 minutes so the show had to be tightly paced, thus not much humorous banter, usual stage movements, etc.

The set had to be somewhat different for the album because of the MSG album released only 6 months or so earlier. That said I think the setlist could've lost Blue Suede Shoes and even the LTS/WLS medley and been replaced with, say Are You Lonesome Tonight and It's Now Or Never as part of the "Oldies" section. But the setlist we hear is one chosen by Elvis for this event and we can't change it.

As for some of the "drugged" comments, it has been stated by many around Elvis that for the time leading up to and through the Aloha shows he was "clean", except maybe for diet pills.

A story I heard or read, I believe told by Linda Thompson, was that the day after the show they were supposed to go out to the USS Arizona Memorial but when they came to Elvis' room he was sitting on the terrace with a towel around his neck and full of downers. He had regressed to "come down" from the high of the entire Aloha event. They didn't make it to the Memorial.

Aloha is what it is and some Elvis people appreciate it and some do not. It's one of my favorites, mainly because it was my second ever Elvis album. If I repeated anything others may have posted, apologies but I didn't read through the entire thread.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:57 pm

Steve_M wrote:it takes two for an argument ? so what ?

How many does it take to have a debate ?

What is it you want forgiveness for ? I hadn't noticed you needing / requiring / requesting any.

I always forget these days due to the illness I have, hopefully things will not get any better necessarily but will be easier to understand after my MRI scan on Jan 12th.

Back to AYLT from Hampton Roads, in case you thought I may have forgotten after taking me on a detour about nothing, what is wrong or disrepectful about this performance, given that Elvis very rarely sang this song after 1970 and before the joking version duet with Charlie Hodge was created in Vegas 76? It sounds very sincere, yes okay it's a bit boring visually as there's little "show" that can be put to it. It may not be a Suspicious Minds or PSA song that lends the excuse to put on a show but nevertheless he seems to have respect for it.

Good luck with your scan Steve, nothing serious I hope :?

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:41 pm

Last edited by Steve_M on Mon May 28, 2007 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:49 pm

Steve_M wrote:
sid wrote:
Steve_M wrote:it takes two for an argument ? so what ?

What is it you want forgiveness for ? I hadn't noticed you needing / requiring / requesting any.

I always forget these days due to the illness I have, hopefully things will not get any better necessarily but will be easier to understand after my MRI scan on Jan 12th.

Back to AYLT from Hampton Roads, in case you thought I may have forgotten after taking me on a detour about nothing, what is wrong or disrepectful about this performance, given that Elvis very rarely sang this song after 1970 and before the joking version duet with Charlie Hodge was created in Vegas 76? It sounds very sincere, yes okay it's a bit boring visually as there's little "show" that can be put to it. It may not be a Suspicious Minds or PSA song that lends the excuse to put on a show but nevertheless he seems to have respect for it.

Good luck with your scan Steve, nothing serious I hope :?

No idea, but thanks anyway. It doesn't bother me if it is because i don't view life in that way, personally I find the symptoms fascinating, funny and at times even embarrassing to a degree. I'm relying on many people to make sure i don't forget to go.

Steve... don't forget to go! :wink:

Your friend,
Brad.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:06 am

[quote="Steve_M"]it takes two for an argument ? so what ?

...............sorry to hear that and do not want your forgiveness for anything.....but lets leave it at that.....health is the only important thing here...so get better soon..best,JL

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:21 pm

"Aloha From Hawaii" (main show) exhibits a mixture of good and bad.

The good is really good ........ and the bad is ...... not so bad.

There is also nothing else quite like this epic musical event. In some ways: Elvis raised the bar too high. Not just for other performers, but even for himself. Again: this also gives Aloha an impressive scale ...... and a bittersweet feel. There is much to take from it.

Sometimes ............ the feel is subdued; other times, it's practically religious. This show is a testament to who Elvis was when he performed it ........ where he had come from ....... and where he was going. It's supremely entertaining ...... and even more fascinating. I never tire of watching or contemplating it.

For what it's worth: I also like the "business" feel. It was a new facet to Elvis' live performing, and -- as it turned out -- a singular feature. The smoothness sets it apart from his other live material. I think it helps in making AFH feel like more of an "event". Elvis had something to prove here and did so.

"Aloha" has my vote.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:15 am

Cryogenic wrote:"Aloha From Hawaii" (main show) exhibits a mixture of good and bad.

The good is really good ........ and the bad is ...... not so bad.

There is also nothing else quite like this epic musical event. In some ways: Elvis raised the bar too high. Not just for other performers, but even for himself. Again: this also gives Aloha an impressive scale ...... and a bittersweet feel. There is much to take from it.

Sometimes ............ the feel is subdued; other times, it's practically religious. This show is a testament to who Elvis was when he performed it ........ where he had come from ....... and where he was going. It's supremely entertaining ...... and even more fascinating. I never tire of watching or contemplating it.

For what it's worth: I also like the "business" feel. It was a new facet to Elvis' live performing, and -- as it turned out -- a singular feature. The smoothness sets it apart from his other live material. I think it helps in making AFH feel like more of an "event". Elvis had something to prove here and did so.

"Aloha" has my vote.

Great post, Cryogenic.

I to enjoy the (to use your words), business like performance.

I think at this stage of his career Elvis wanted to show the world (and his critics) that he was no longer the brash 21 year old rocker of some nearly 20 years prior.
He had become a seasoned entertainer and this show gave him the chance to showcase his incredible voice, rather than his 'shakey leg'.
My opinion is this is exactly the kind of show he wanted and I think he would have been rightly proud of the huge ratings numbers the show did, as well as the resulting No.1 album.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:23 am

The problem is that "business like" is not at the heart of Elvis' genius. A big secret of Elvis' appeal is his ability to give us unvarnished emotion and that's in relative short supply on Aloha.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:31 am

likethebike wrote:The problem is that "business like" is not at the heart of Elvis' genius. A big secret of Elvis' appeal is his ability to give us unvarnished emotion and that's in relative short supply on Aloha.

I don't know.
Some would say it takes a genius to perfrom a concert containing some 14 cover versions and turn said concert into a worldwide ratings smash and a No.1 album.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:25 am

Capt. Ross Carpenter wrote:
likethebike wrote:The problem is that "business like" is not at the heart of Elvis' genius. A big secret of Elvis' appeal is his ability to give us unvarnished emotion and that's in relative short supply on Aloha.

I don't know.
Some would say it takes a genius to perfrom a concert containing some 14 cover versions and turn said concert into a worldwide ratings smash and a No.1 album.
Thanks for reminding me!!! Over 6 million records in 1973 were not (all) part of the curiosity factor(double LP and not cheap) on those sales! Probably (I dare Say) the beginning of the 70s Elvis ballad loving over rock and roll fans. Not bad to re invent himself by mistake or not. Everything EPE today the sideburns and jumpsuits etc..showbizzzzzzzzzzzz$.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:51 pm

Steve_M wrote: I think he'd have been better letting his true emotions and feeling run riot, after all they had two shows to pick from it's not like it was a live broadcast to the world like the myth machine has had many a fan believing.

It wasn't broadcasted live to all countries at the exact moment of Elvis' performance, but it was broadcasted live to many.
I've read a special edition of a spanish magazine of music called "Popular 1", this is a magazine related to pop-rock music in general, not Elvis' fans, and about "Aloha From Hawaii" they say that Elvis live is simply the best, perfect "one take only" performances and not falsified live performance, as many do.
I don't understand the obsession with Elvis' movements, it's clear that the more you move the less vocal quality you have, and that was the worst moment for Elvis to ruin his voice, he was showing it live to the entire world for the very first time.
In the concert there are fantastic performances like Burning Love, My Way, An American Trilogy, What Now My Love, A Big Hunk Of Love, It's Over, Welcome To My World, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, I'll Remember You... excluding some few weak performances like the accelerated classics.
Regarding Elvis' physical, he is at one of his peaks, though some people told me that as the show goes on he seems to have some bags under his eyes, perhaps due to tiredness or to the visual effect of sweat or to the obsession of some people in not believing that Elvis looked that good at the time.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:11 pm

You know what the problem was ? When he did the aloha show he was all ready bigger then life....

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:23 pm

I understand where you're coming from LTB. Aloha aside, ( as I've stated many times before, I don't believe we can loop this mega TV event with a regular concert ), that being said, part of what made Elvis so great and what hurt him at times was his emotion when in the studio or on stage. He had to feel it, it came from his soul, that's what made him the greatest!

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:31 pm

Thats what a rehearsal is for. To know weak points and do a run through without (on purpose) giving all of yourself. Too bad you did not watch entire show. Elvis himself tells the audience of forgotten lyrics. Before doing any further reporting ....it would be wise imo to watch the whole thing before doing any assesments that are so positive and enlightening. :roll:

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:34 pm

JLGB wrote:Thats what a rehearsal is for. To know weak points and do a run through without (on purpose) giving all of yourself. Too bad you did not watch entire show. Elvis himself tells the audience of forgotten lyrics. Before doing any further reporting ....it would be wise imo to watch the whole thing before doing any assesments that are so positive and enlightening. :roll:

Absolutely correct JLGB!

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:00 am

shanebrown wrote:I have seen the show a number of times thanks. But you miss the point - the point of the rehearsal is to do the run through, find the mistakes and correct them before the performance! Not do most of them again two days later!

And Elvis actually mentions forgetting the words at the beginning of the show not near then end.

Shane, he made way more mistakes during the rehearsal then he did the next night, especially at the beginning. If I can remember correctly, near the end of the rehearsal show, ( I could be wrong btw ) he mentions about this being a rehearsal, and how he'll need all the help he can get "tomorrow night."

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:04 am

the point of the rehearsal is to do the run through, find the mistakes and correct them before the performance!

I think you're right, which is why Elvis makes none of those mistakes in the actual performance - making the rehearsal a good, and worthwhile one, by your own definition. The mistakes were indeed identified, and rectified before the live show. Burning Love, Something, Steamroller, and the others were all delivered without a hitch. In addition, new songs were added to the show, as it ran short. If people expected the rehearsal to be perfect, then he'd have had to rehearse for the rehearsal, and so on.

The whole argument of those that don't seem to like Aloha is that Elvis is concentrating on his singing, delivering, to paraphrase Steve, a series of masters. That couldn't have been achieved without the rehearsal, and the efforts of Elvis, and the other musicians.

Let's not forget, the rehearsal show was just that a rehearsal, with the stage not yet complete, which happened to be taped in case of any technical difficulties, and allowed Elvis to view it, which is why he got his hair cut.

Out of interest, which of the mistakes in the rehearsal do you think were repeated?

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:13 am

shanebrown wrote:
And Elvis actually mentions forgetting the words at the beginning of the show not near then end.
True. Just had a thought of like Thomas did with NYE show. One can pretend it is being sent out totally live (without delay for edits) and watch the show as if it were for the first time but live. At the end you will feel a sense of relief that it went out pretty darn good and without a hitch.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:25 am

DarrylMac wrote:
the point of the rehearsal is to do the run through, find the mistakes and correct them before the performance!

I think you're right, which is why Elvis makes none of those mistakes in the actual performance - making the rehearsal a good, and worthwhile one, by your own definition. The mistakes were indeed identified, and rectified before the live show. Burning Love, Something, Steamroller, and the others were all delivered without a hitch. In addition, new songs were added to the show, as it ran short. If people expected the rehearsal to be perfect, then he'd have had to rehearse for the rehearsal, and so on.

The whole argument of those that don't seem to like Aloha is that Elvis is concentrating on his singing, delivering, to paraphrase Steve, a series of masters. That couldn't have been achieved without the rehearsal, and the efforts of Elvis, and the other musicians.

Let's not forget, the rehearsal show was just that a rehearsal, with the stage not yet complete, which happened to be taped in case of any technical difficulties, and allowed Elvis to view it, which is why he got his hair cut.

Out of interest, which of the mistakes in the rehearsal do you think were repeated?

As usual, very well said DarrylMac. I will say this, for whatever mistakes EP made during the rehearsal show, he made up for it that night with his incredible charisma, it grabs you through the TV screen. Even my 17 year old daughter commented on it.