All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

declaration of love to the aloha special

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:11 am

i was just listening to a few songs of the aloha concert in 1973 once again.

now there may be some folks that think that this was not a very decent show. i have to disagree. what i hear is a really "clean" elvis that is so excited about this big show and really tries to give his best.

when I listen to the beautiful "welcome to my world" and the way he appreciates the good response of his audience after the song, I really think I love Elvis in the strongest way a heterosexual man can love another man.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:19 am

Aloha Thomas!!

Great show, especially considering the pressure of the first ever Worldwide Telecast!!!

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:30 am

performances of songs like 'welcome to my world' are very good, but i think its his performances of the faster songs that put people off the show, also because he hardly moves.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:38 am

hi heel sneakers wrote:
performances of songs like 'welcome to my world' are very good, but i think its his performances of the faster songs that put people off the show, also because he hardly moves.

There are quite a few fantastic performances in the Aloha show, such as the brilliant What Now My Love, An American Trilogy, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, I'll Remember You, It's Over and the before mentioned Welcome To My World.

If Elvis had either skipped or at least done longer and more decent versions of Hound Dog and Blue Suede Shoes, I believe the Aloha legacy would've been more generally accepted as maybe his finest moment.

Br
Kristian
Last edited by Kristian Hjelmaas on Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:38 am

Totally agree...Here's a classic pic!

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:47 am

Count me in... love it!

JEFF d
EAP fan

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:47 am

Well, for me. I love Aloha From Hawaii and the Alternate Aloha (Rehearsal show). They both were excellent shows. Elvis did something that no one else had done. Elvis was pure and in full rock form. During the telecast itself, he was nervous. Who wouldn't be? But he pull it off. Yes, he didn't move to much but maybe it could be he nerves. Maybe he didn't want to. I really don't know why he didn't move to much. But I really don't care that he move to much. He gave a great show and in pure form. Just as he said No messages and so on.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:41 am

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:...There are quite a few fantastic performances in the Aloha show, such as the brilliant What Now My Love, An American Trilogy, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, I'll Remember You, It's Over and the before mentioned Welcome To My World.

...and, let's not forget his most-fantastic performance from that show: "A Big Hunk O' Love."

Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:43 am

The Aloha concert was a masterpiece and our man pulled it off beautifully.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:47 am

Last edited by Steve_M on Mon May 28, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:04 am

Nora Sivle wrote:Totally agree...Here's a classic pic!
Kool picture my first Elvis poster still on the back of my old bedroom door!!! Something that Aloha show does not transmit at all is the excitement,feeling that only (Imo) fans that saw him and or fans not exposed to a gizzilion live recordings from the start. ALOHA IS 1970S ELVIS TO ME PERIOD.

Re: declaration of love to the aloha special

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:25 am

Thomas wrote:i was just listening to a few songs of the aloha concert in 1973 once again.

now there may be some folks that think that this was not a very decent show. i have to disagree. what i hear is a really "clean" elvis that is so excited about this big show and really tries to give his best.

when I listen to the beautiful "welcome to my world" and the way he appreciates the good response of his audience after the song, I really think I love Elvis in the strongest way a heterosexual man can love another man.

Best concert of all time. Elvis' voice is soft and very touching. My Way for example :cry:

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:31 am

Rob wrote:The Aloha concert was a masterpiece and our man pulled it off beautifully.

He sure did. This was the peak of his career imo. i get chills watching American Trilogy...so amazing!

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:27 pm

Can someone pass along the whisky, I wanna see and hear what you guys are!

A masterpiece? Um, no.

Best concert of all time? Um, no.

Elvis bettered this concert himself so it isn't the best concert of all time. He pulls off some great vocals in maybe half a dozen tracks but overall the show lacks pace and energy. He was better in On Tour.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:27 pm

Steve_M wrote:Put me in the minority :oops:

Still haven't watched the DVD set since it came out.

It's not that I can't stand the show or anything like that, just that I have many more Elvis things I prefer.

Steve - come around to our audio/visual Elvis house on the next Victoria Elvis night. The sound will blow you away - you will be amazed at just how good Elvis sounds!!! Serious invite.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:32 pm

Still haven't watched the DVD set since it came out.

Steve, I'm kinda in between on this one. I think the Aloha show was a good, strong show, given the pressure Elvis was under to deliver, and he looked great, but it's not a typical Elvis show. Live On Stage In Memphis, for example, seems to have more energy and excitement. However, if you give the remastered show a spin, I think it might improve your appreciation of the show, as the new sound, and camera angles give it a little more excitement than the original show, and you see things you didn't notice before.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:58 pm

Thomas wrote: I love Elvis in the strongest way a heterosexual man can love another man.

I am a keen Elvis fan. But not in the way you appear to be. And vive la difference.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:06 pm

Matthew wrote:Can someone pass along the whisky, I wanna see and hear what you guys are!

A masterpiece? Um, no.

Best concert of all time? Um, no.

Elvis bettered this concert himself so it isn't the best concert of all time. He pulls off some great vocals in maybe half a dozen tracks but overall the show lacks pace and energy. He was better in On Tour.

I think I have to agree here. It was no masterpiece and it was not his best concert of all time...lack of energy is the best way to point that out. Sometimes it's really a boring performance allthough I know that he delivered some great versions of "American Trilogy" and "What Now My Love", but he was better in On Tour and for example his concert in Memphis 1974...just to name a few....

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:38 pm

Live On Stage In Memphis, for example, seems to have more energy and excitement.

I think that is because Elvis didn't have a billion people watching the Memphis '74 concert. In Aloha, Elvis was nervice, but towards middle the excitement started to pick up as he became more relaxed. But I agree, that Live On Stage In Memphis is an awesome cd, so is the performance :wink:

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:06 pm

changeofhabit wrote:Best concert of all time. Elvis' voice is soft and very touching. My Way for example :cry:

With the exception of the countless concerts Elvis gave that were better :wink:

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:11 pm

changeofhabit wrote:
Best concert of all time. Elvis' voice is soft and very touching. My Way for example :cry:

To me, the My Way from June 21st 1977 Rapid City is the best version of My Way...imo, the Aloha version don't even come close to the Rapid City version!!

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:49 pm

Brad M wrote:
changeofhabit wrote:

To me, the My Way from June 21st 1977 Rapid City is the best version of My Way...imo, the Aloha version don't even come close to the Rapid City version!!
Emotionally; Yes. Technically; No.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:50 pm

Kinda glad Elvis was forced to do at least one serious show without messing up lyrics or ruining a perfect moment with a giggle.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:18 pm

i agree i love aloha he looked awsome sounded great looked every inch the king after this he went down hill i guess he thought how can i top this. my way from the cbs tv show better than aloha give me a break he looks like shite and sounded like shite on the cbs show.JLGB i agree with you Elvis was forced to do at serious show f*cking about with the songs and all the clowning about was fun at the start but it got boring but on this show he was very professional. i love the show and watch it alot.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:18 pm

Matthew wrote:Can someone pass along the whisky, I wanna see and hear what you guys are! A masterpiece? Um, no. Elvis bettered this concert himself so it isn't the best concert of all time. He pulls off some great vocals in maybe half a dozen tracks but overall the show lacks pace and energy. He was better in On Tour.

Your opinion (as is mine) is always welcomed on this board. Thanks for sharing it.