The "Out In Hollywood" FTD is a riot!

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

The "Out In Hollywood" FTD is a riot!

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Yeah, I kid you not. It took me about seven years to get this FTD - sorry, Rob - and I never thought I'd like it this much. But everything about it is super cool. The songs are not placed in cronological order, and Ernst and Roger have avoided the most obvious choices, focusing instead on things like "The Meanest Girl In Town" and "Edge Of Reality". The result is as refreshing as a cold beer on a hot summer afternoon! The artwork is brilliant too and makes the CD look like a lost Elvis album from 1965. And I like that "22 Great Songs" line. Straight out of The Colonel's dictionary!

The thought of hearing the vocal overdub to "Baby I Don't Care" (the last song on the CD) didn't excite me that much, but it turned out to be one of the highlights. It's just Elvis's voice, no music. This way you can hear every detail of his singing (he didnt lack attitude exactly) and it's a great experience indeed. Somehow you get very close to he boy, it's like standing next to him in the studio.

If anyone still hasn't bought this CD, get it now. Soon it will be too late because this CD, along with "Fame And Fortune", "Silver Screen Stereo" and "The Way It Was", is now deleted from the FTD catalogue. Those are all great records but "Out In Hollywood" is my favourite.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

I liked it too, its a pretty fun listen. Not an essential release at all, unless ya just like to have some good ol fashion fun with your clothes on. 8)

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

TONY

OLD NEWS

Post by TONY »

This is old news!

JEFF d

Re: OLD NEWS

Post by JEFF d »

TONY wrote:This is old news!
NOT to Keith Jr.... he just bought it, please read his post more closely next time. :D

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Rob

Re: The "Out In Hollywood" FTD is a riot!

Post by Rob »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:It took me about seven years to get this FTD - sorry, Rob - and I never thought I'd like it this much. But everything about it is super cool.
Hey -- better late than never. Atta boy!

Which one is next for you?

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.

Rob wrote:Which one is next for you?
I bought two yesterday, "Out In Hollywood" and "Long Lonely Highway". Both were released before I was even aware of the FTD label. That is my excuse and I think it's a pretty good one! I still don't own "Girl Happy", "Double Trouble" and "World's Fair". And that's about it. So my collection will be complete pretty soon. (These days, I always buy my FTDs as soon as they're released.)
TONY wrote:This is old news!
Sure. But I wanted to remind the people who don't have this FTD - and yes, there are people in this world who don't own every FTD ever released - that it is now deleted and if they want it they better hurry up. Besides, in my country it's perfectly legal to discuss old Elvis releases, we don't HAVE to forget about them after two days! Hell, I've been listening a lot to "Collectors Gold" lately. That is not a crime either. :wink:

Keith Richards, Jr.

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by ritchie valens »

get the new ones forget the complations.

dl
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by dl »

The new releases are good, but that is no reason to skip the older ones. I always thought that the cover of "Out In Hollywood" looks really cool and fitting the content. The choosen songs are not the ones you always get to hear, so it definitely was a refreshing experience. 8)

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Nice points, Keith Jr.!

I keep these and the other similiar FTDs (actually nearly all of them) ready for play in the car (via CD-R, Rob :wink: ) and enjoy the heck out of these comps....

Just today I was enjoying driving around with SILVER SCREEN STEREO.
Great stuff.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Rob

Post by Rob »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:(via CD-R, Rob :wink: )
Just so we understand each other.

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.

ritchie valens wrote:get the new ones forget the complations.
Why should I do that? Are you going to throw away your copies of stuff like "Rhythm & Country", "The Nashville Marathon" and "Memphis Sessions" if those albums get released in the Classic Album series? They will remain great records, you know. Like "Out In Hollywood" they are so well put together it doesn't matter if most of the songs will be released on other CDs in the future. And "Let It Roll", for example, didn't include too many unreleased songs, but it's one of the most enjoyable bootlegs known to man. I prefer unreleased stuff, too. But Elvis only recorded so many songs, in so many versions.
dl wrote:The new releases are good, but that is no reason to skip the older ones. I always thought that the cover of "Out In Hollywood" looks really cool and fitting the content. The choosen songs are not the ones you always get to hear, so it definitely was a refreshing experience. 8)
I like this post much better! :D
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Just today I was enjoying driving around with SILVER SCREEN STEREO.
Great stuff.
And another wonderful cover!

Keith Richards, Jr.

norrie
Registered for: 20 years

Post by norrie »

Silver Screen Stereo is even better than Out In Hollywood.Just
for Jaihouse Rock alone which has never sounded better.Turned
up loud it reminds me of the first time I heard it,just great.

norrie

ritchie valens
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by ritchie valens »

i don't own them i just go for complete classic albums with full sessions.
jailhouse is better on elvis by the presleys.

Rob

Post by Rob »

ritchie valens wrote:i don't own them
Then why comment on them at all?

Post by Guest »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
If anyone still hasn't bought this CD, get it now. Soon it will be too late because this CD, along with "Fame And Fortune", "Silver Screen Stereo" and "The Way It Was", is now deleted from the FTD catalogue. Those are all great records but "Out In Hollywood" is my favourite.
I realise that for those who have been buying each and every FTD release, Keith's post may seem "old news" but for us new to the collection it's important to hear how relevant the older releases are today. Obviously for someone who has every individual OST "OIH" and "SSS" will now seem superfluous but for someone who will likely only buy one or two of the FTD OST's ("VLV" and maybe "FIA"), are these two compilations must-buys?

On a related note, is "FAF" (also deleted) still a worthwhile purchase? I understand that the material is now (largely or entirely?) available on other releases -- I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me which tracks are where -- but if I won't be buying all of these then should it remain on my shopping list?

Leading on from that question, I wonder if people think FTD are doing the right thing in deleting the older compilations which may be the best buys for those who don't necessarily want or can't afford absolutely everything?

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.

melvis wrote:Obviously for someone who has every individual OST "OIH" and "SSS" will now seem superfluous but for someone who will likely only buy one or two of the FTD OST's ("VLV" and maybe "FIA"), are these two compilations must-buys?
Both "Viva Las Vegas" and "Fun In Acapulco" have great sound and fantastic artwork. You can't go wrong with those. "Harum Scarum" is also a must-have in my opinion. Now, even though I have most of the outtakes on "Out In Hollywood" on other CDs, I still find it to be a very enjoyable collection, and hearing the songs in a new context made them even more enjoyable somehow. That CD is very well put together, and I highly recommend it, no matter how many of the FTD soundtracks you're gonna buy! And it's also doubtful if, for example, "Edge of Reality" will appear elsewhere in the future.
melvis wrote:On a related note, is "FAF" (also deleted) still a worthwhile purchase? I understand that the material is now (largely or entirely?) available on other releases -- I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me which tracks are where -- but if I won't be buying all of these then should it remain on my shopping list?
"Out In Hollywood" has quite a few outtakes that can't be found anywhere else. But everything on "Fame And Fortune" is available elsewhere - on the FTD reissues of "Elvis Is Back!", "His Hand In Mine" and "Something For Everybody". I am not going to part with my "Fame And Fortune" CD because I still like it, it's a nice collection, but I wouldn't buy it again if someone stole it from me, you know... because I do have all the outtakes on the CDs I mentioned and the FTD CDs are not exactly cheap. But I would buy "Out In Hollywood" again. I think Ernst was in a really creative mood when he put that one together.
melvis wrote:Leading on from that question, I wonder if people think FTD are doing the right thing in deleting the older compilations which may be the best buys for those who don't necessarily want or can't afford absolutely everything?
In an ideal world, all titles would remain in print. But apparantly these CDs don't sell too much anymore, so financially it's not a good idea to do re-prints, unfortunately.

Elvis In Norway has information, reviews and tracklisting about every FTD release. Here is a very useful link:

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/followthatdream.html

Please note that Oven is wrong about "Out In Hollywood" though! :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Guest »

"Out In Hollywood" has quite a few outtakes that can't be found anywhere else. But everything on "Fame And Fortune" is available elsewhere - on the FTD reissues of "Elvis Is Back!", "His Hand In Mine" and "Something For Everybody". I am not going to part with my "Fame And Fortune" CD because I still like it, it's a nice collection, but I wouldn't buy it again if someone stole it from me, you know... because I do have all the outtakes on the CDs I mentioned and the FTD CDs are not exactly cheap. But I would buy "Out In Hollywood" again. I think Ernst was in a really creative mood when he put that one together.
Thanks for your considered reply which I think addressed my question as well as anyone could. But the caveat is that while I might purchase the FTD of "EIB!" and maybe even "SFE" I'm not sure "HHIM" would be one I'd want...the second CD particularly looks like something I'd never play. Therefore, I'm sort of tempted to buy the likes of the Japanese Paper Sleeve "EIB!" and supplement it with "FAF".
In an ideal world, all titles would remain in print. But apparantly these CDs don't sell too much anymore, so financially it's not a good idea to do re-prints, unfortunately.
Yes, I can appreciate that. FTD is for true Elvis completists or fanatics or whatever word you might choose to use, and I guess these older compilations fall into a middleground between the general release stuff and what FTD is doing right now with the specially packaged 2-disc sets. They tend to offer one or two alternate versions of songs rather than three or four or more. In a way that's probably why I'm more drawn to them and I think it's a shame they won't remain available even though I can understand why, in the real world, they have perhaps had their day.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

"Melvis" wrote:
I'm not sure "HHIM" (His Hand In Mine) would be one I'd want...the second CD particularly looks like something I'd never play.
With all due respect, Melvis: :roll:

It's a stone classic, get it...and any FTD comps you've missed if you can swing it! Eventually you can find anything for a good deal...

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the heads-up, Keef.

I've come really late to the FTD thing - I'm buying 2 or 3 a month until I have all the ones I want. I'll give these movie comps a spin, if I can find them.

Post by Guest »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
It's a stone classic, get it...and any FTD comps you've missed if you can swing it! Eventually you can find anything for a good deal...
It may be a classic, but the desirability of FTD's 2-disc set of "His Hand in Mine" would depend partly on one's personal reaction to the Gospel stuff...some may want anything and everything, others may just want a sampling of it (making the FTD "HHIM" perhaps a case of overkill), while others simply may not care for it all. I think I'd probably put myself in the middle group which is why I said it was an unlikely purchase for me and why the earlier "Fame and Fortune" sampler might still be a potential buy for me despite it being superceded by more recent FTD releases.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Oh, of course, there's always personal preference but among Elvis fans, expect to take some flack if you dismiss his towering gospel work, which by the way, one does not have to be religious to enjoy.

I personally think buying (or planning or saving to buy )FTDs like this one (hell, all of them) is a bit of a no-brainer for anyone who has bothered to log on-to this site. Surely all of his studio session work is something most of us drool over having.

Put it this way, if you were to come upon one of these for free, most fans would be hard put to say "Oh, I've got to get rid of this..."

"His Hand In Mine" is one of his career milestones and any disc that gathers nearly all of the outtakes is surely worthy of a thumbs-up. Can you beat Elvis' voice in 1960? Some would say not. I say slather my plate with as much of the King in action in such a year. This is exactly what FTD is doing such a good job with, more than any '70s concert, as much as I like them.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Post by Guest »

I'm not dismissing his Gospel work (though I think it's understandable that not all Elvis fans will like it...to each his own) but questioning the need for someone like myself to own all the outtakes of it; I don't feel the need to own each and every take even of personal favourites, but there's those want to, which is perfectly fine and, of course, they make up a sizable part of FTD's market.

ElvisAhlgren
Registered for: 20 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by ElvisAhlgren »

I agree it's a great album. Out In Hollywood must be my most played FTD title.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

I just think the classic albums afford us all a chance to have what are in effect complete "sessions" albums on very nice sets.

I'd think anyone who would log onto this site would be at least a completist on outtakes in 2007, but I agree, if you have other fish to fry or other concerns, I hear you.

Lots of other "must-buy" music I have on CD (not Elvis) as time goes on, I realize I never reach for again (or rarely) and space does become an issue...especially as the Elvis collection grows....

But for me (and probably many here), Elvis' music gets a priority and what better showcase than FTD.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Yeah, I kid you not. It took me about seven years to get this FTD - sorry, Rob - and I never thought I'd like it this much. But everything about it is super cool. The songs are not placed in cronological order, and Ernst and Roger have avoided the most obvious choices, focusing instead on things like "The Meanest Girl In Town" and "Edge Of Reality". The result is as refreshing as a cold beer on a hot summer afternoon! The artwork is brilliant too and makes the CD look like a lost Elvis album from 1965. And I like that "22 Great Songs" line. Straight out of The Colonel's dictionary!

The thought of hearing the vocal overdub to "Baby I Don't Care" (the last song on the CD) didn't excite me that much, but it turned out to be one of the highlights. It's just Elvis's voice, no music. This way you can hear every detail of his singing (he didnt lack attitude exactly) and it's a great experience indeed. Somehow you get very close to he boy, it's like standing next to him in the studio.

Keith Richards, Jr.
well keith i beat you too it, 9 years after ur post, i finally got it so what it took me 16 years to get it haha, it was sealed and for the price of a normal ftd! Edge of reality is the highlight for me!

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets