All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Re: Bootleggers Deserve Our Respect....

Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:30 pm

Mike S wrote:I doubt many will find it funny as this is a serious issue.

No, the war in Iraq is a "serious issue". You really do need to get a little perspective on this whole matter.

I also find it interesting that you chose not to respond to my descrition of how other fan communities deal with the circulation of unofficial material. I still find it puzzling that you choose to "condone" illegal profiteering when I have pointed out that there is a better way.

Chris

Bootleggers Deserve Our Respect.....

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:57 pm

ChrisM wrote:
No, the war in Iraq is a "serious issue". You really do need to get a little perspective on this whole matter.

This certainly applies to you, if you are really seeking to link these two quite different topics.

I also find it interesting that you chose not to respond to my descrition of how other fan communities deal with the circulation of unofficial material.

The reason for this is that I make a point not to comment on things I do not know. However, as far as Elvis is concerned, there are no new performances thus any NEW material is extremely rare, which combined with his staggering popularity, creates enormous demand. Rare material coupled with enormous demand always means more expensive in my experience.

I still find it puzzling that you choose to "condone" illegal profiteering when I have pointed out that there is a better way.

Would you kindly demonstrate this by obtaining some NEW, previously unreleased performances and sending us a link. No charges, don't forget and we'll all salute you as our new saviour.

Err....I won't be waiting up if you don't mind.

Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:30 pm

Enoumous demand? Another example of your complete lack of perspective. Keep 'em coming, each one is better than the last.

I would be happy to post a link to previously unreleased material that is being circulated for free, but didn't you ask me not to post links? I'm confused.

Anyway, tomorrow is a new year. A couple of dozen people here will keep downloading, new bootlegs will continue to be released and sell a few hundred each and this thread will change neither.

Best of luck with your puzzling campaign.

Chris

Bootleggers Deserve Our Respect...

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:36 pm

Chris,

At this point, it's probably best we call a truce. We're both collectors, right? We're just arguing about policy.

I'm glad you chose to edit your post to remove the link you previously sent. Believe me, it doesn't further our cause as collectors of new (or improved) product.

In the meantime, a Happy New Year to all who have managed to follow and understand the issues raised in this thread. Let's hope it's a good one and brings some great releases.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Bootleggers Deserve Our Respect...

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:49 pm

Mike S wrote:At this point, it's probably best we call a truce.

On that, I think we can agree.

Mike S wrote:I'm glad you chose to edit your post to remove the link you previously sent. Believe me, it doesn't further our cause as collectors of new (or improved) product.

I still think that there is much that can be learned from other fan communities.

There has been a recent campaign at a Springsteen Message Board (Google SPL Forums) to encourage collectors to freely circulate material that they have previously refused to let go (at any price). It has been successful in unearthing a treasure trove of material that nobody even new existed. It has been spread for free for the pleasure of the fans and nobody has made any money out of the exercise.

I believe that there are Elvis collectors out there that have equally rare material and that much could be learned from the Springsteen parallel. It doesn’t have to be about the money.

Happy New Year.

Chris

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:42 pm

ChrisM wrote:
Mike S wrote:At this point, it's probably best we call a truce.

On that, I think we can agree.

Mike S wrote:I'm glad you chose to edit your post to remove the link you previously sent. Believe me, it doesn't further our cause as collectors of new (or improved) product.

I still think that there is much that can be learned from other fan communities.

There has been a recent campaign at a Springsteen Message Board (Google SPL Forums) to encourage collectors to freely circulate material that they have previously refused to let go (at any price). It has been successful in unearthing a treasure trove of material that nobody even new existed. It has been spread for free for the pleasure of the fans and nobody has made any money out of the exercise.

I believe that there are Elvis collectors out there that have equally rare material and that much could be learned from the Springsteen parallel. It doesn’t have to be about the money.

Happy New Year.

Chris

Ah, you are "music-communist" :-) you want everything shared for free? Do you think that you are living in ideal Elvis world? Imagine someone who just bought very rare elvis recordings, lets say 1973 Aloha rehearsals... for several thousands of $$$ - and he will share it for free, using internet This is simply UNREAL thing. If I will have such recordings, I will NEVER let it go - if for no other reason, then for this one: it will be downloaded by some "stealers" and released on third rate bootleg CD immediatelly. See what happenned with low bitrate mp3 files from Keith Flynns site: it produced no less than 3 absolutely shi..y CDs. And people are buying them.

There are two possibilities: the OWNER will - jealously - keep the rarity in trezor forever and nobody else will hear it. Or the OWNER will release it for public - because he want to share the recording but also he want to get his $$$ back, pls some profit is also welcomed - for EVERYBODY. All the people like the money and who say "NO" - is liar.

Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:02 am

deadringer wrote:All the people like the money and who say "NO" - is liar.

It might be worth doing a little research based on the example I have already given before calling someone a liar.

Happy New Year to you too.

Chris

Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:12 am

WOW chris how popular are you :lol: and it was me who put the link on its great to get away with it scott free :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:30 am

ChrisM wrote:
deadringer wrote:All the people like the money and who say "NO" - is liar.

It might be worth doing a little research based on the example I have already given before calling someone a liar.

Happy New Year to you too.

Chris

Well I am convinced that I am right here. I am doing this research whole life.

Happy New Year, ChrisM.