All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:41 pm

A question for Steve_M :

Was AYLT really on a few copies of TTWII SE ?
I managed to get it early on with the cover inside listing all those bonus tracks that never came.But the film ends with the after-show party along side the credits.

This is different from the original screening of the film which featured AYLT.I feel fortunate to have that version in my collection.

By the way,I never stop gaping at the incredible incompetence and sheer greediness of whoever owns/has the right to release the TTWII material.The Graceland edition of The Ultimate Film Collection contains among other (well-known to most fans ) material one disc of Movie music performances where they have added three songs from Aug 1970:
Just Pretend (Lost Performances) and Bridge Over Troubled Water and I've Lost You (from TTWII 1970 ).

If that is not mean,what is ??

Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:12 am

splanky wrote:
The Graceland edition of The Ultimate Film Collection contains among other (well-known to most fans ) material one disc of Movie music performances where they have added three songs from Aug 1970:
Just Pretend (Lost Performances) and Bridge Over Troubled Water and I've Lost You (from TTWII 1970 ).

If that is not mean,what is ??



Is this an official release?

And if so, have they suddenly sorted out the copyright problems for these 3 songs, or...?

Another thing that's been eating me: How come they actually include a segment of Elvis rehearsing Bridge Over Troubled Water in TTWII SE, and not include the actual live performance?

Are there different rules for rehearsals/informal recordings vs formal live recordings, or was it sheer incompetence that prevented Bridge to be included...?

Br
Kristian

Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:08 am

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:If you're thinking of the August 1969 laughing version, there is no film footage available.

If you're thinking of the August 1970 laughing version, this was used in TTWII Special Edition.

Br
Kristian


Yes 69 was the one I was looking for Thank you.....but it is a shame :?

Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:07 am

Yes ,The Ultimate Film Collection is issued and sold by EPE.It contains 9 MGM movies,2 bonus dvd's:Black Leather (which is NBC Comeback Special in a re-structured version without the production numbers.There might possibly be some new angles ??) and Movie Music Performances which has 14 songs cut straight out of the film.Then it has a cd which contains alternative takes of 14 movie songs,all taken from FTD-releases.These should be well-known,but the sound quality is just amazingly good.It also contains pictures and other memorabilia from the movies.All neatly packed into what looks like a little suitcase.

I feel the discs should have contained so much more material.That's why I feel justified in blaming those in charge of releasing this stuff.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:02 am

splanky wrote:A question for Steve_M :

Was AYLT really on a few copies of TTWII SE ?


Yes.
I don't have it myself, but I know I spoke to Keith about this a while back and someone had lent him a copy in order to "lift" the performance.

The one i saw at ETC didn't seem to be of very high quality though.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:07 am

Steve_M wrote:
splanky wrote:A question for Steve_M :

Was AYLT really on a few copies of TTWII SE ?


Yes.
I don't have it myself, but I know I spoke to Keith about this a while back and someone had lent him a copy in order to "lift" the performance.

The one i saw at ETC didn't seem to be of very high quality though.



From 69?? :shock:

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:41 am

Rob wrote: I'm willing to bet that this was the last serious version that he ever did.

*******************************
Actually no it wasn't. I have a show from the spring 1974 I think, that he does it seriously. Rob, I am not a huge audience recorded concert fan but i do have several dozen, so he may have done it serious even more that I know about. Others with more concerts in their collection would know more.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:39 am

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Another thing that's been eating me: How come they actually include a segment of Elvis rehearsing Bridge Over Troubled Water in TTWII SE, and not include the actual live performance?


Because Elvis couldn't hit the right notes on this particular song. He sang out of tune. He struggled with it every time. That's what the director said in Elvis - The Man And His Music at the time. I kid you not! :shock:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:42 am

sid wrote:
Steve_M wrote:
splanky wrote:A question for Steve_M :

Was AYLT really on a few copies of TTWII SE ?


Yes.
I don't have it myself, but I know I spoke to Keith about this a while back and someone had lent him a copy in order to "lift" the performance.

The one i saw at ETC didn't seem to be of very high quality though.



From 69?? :shock:


No, they're talking about That's The Way It Is, so it's the August 1970 version. :wink:

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:53 am

When did AYLT stop being used in the TTWII-SE credits? Because last year, it was aired on Australian T.V, and yes, to my suprise, had the laughing version on the credits

I really love the Lost Performances version, he performs it so delicately. I guess the divorce from Priscilla really shook him up, he even sniffs before 'loved you at first glance'. Beautiful version

aylt - laughing version .-

Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:04 pm

There is no 69 version on footage yet of this song from 69 , but u can see this song from 68 TV SPECIAL , TTWII - 1970 , 72 ( LOST PERFORMANCES ) , 77 cbs tv special ( june tour ) on various dvds .
it will be great to see this version from 69 tho-




lets keep our fingers crossed and see whats released in future
.-

MERRY XMAS AND A PROSPEROUS 2007 TO ALL

Re: aylt - laughing version .-

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:29 pm

karlos wrote:[b]There is no 69 version on footage yet of this song from 69


Yet ? :lol:

Lets hope it manages to get onto footage in the future. :lol:

Merry Xmas to you too! :lol:

Merry Xmas to everyone unless it upsets you on the grounds of faith in which case have a very unmerry xmas.

Re: aylt - laughing version .-

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:44 pm

Steve_M wrote:
karlos wrote:[b]There is no 69 version on footage yet of this song from 69


Yet ? :lol:

Lets hope it manages to get onto footage in the future. :lol:

Merry Xmas to you too! :lol:

Merry Xmas to everyone unless it upsets you on the grounds of faith in which case have a very unmerry xmas.



Do you know something we dont? :lol:

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:14 am

The fact that it wasn't filmed surely makes it unlikely that it will ever be released? :?

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:15 am

sid,

there either WAS footage from 69 and it existed once or it still exists now.

but it is unlikely that it will mange to get on footage since the moment is already long gone.
karlos wrote:There is no 69 version on footage yet of this song from 69

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:29 am

Steve_M wrote:sid,

there either WAS footage from 69 and it existed once or it still exists now.

but it is unlikely that it will mange to get on footage since the moment is already long gone.
karlos wrote:There is no 69 version on footage yet of this song from 69



Thanks Steve

I am a woman I need things s p e l l i n g out for me, it's no good beating around the bush so to speak :lol:

Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:02 am

Steve_M wrote:
splanky wrote:A question for Steve_M :

Was AYLT really on a few copies of TTWII SE ?


Yes.
I don't have it myself, but I know I spoke to Keith about this a while back and someone had lent him a copy in order to "lift" the performance.

The one i saw at ETC didn't seem to be of very high quality though.

Steve:

You're doing it again - bringing me into threads! :shock:

Yes, I do have the original version of the 1970 "Are You Lonesome Tonight" that was used on the First Pressing (?) of the "Special Edition" of TTWII, but I also have my own personal edit of the song, taken from the other angles not used in the First Pressing of TTWII SE.

I'll post my edit this weekend.

Sadly, I don't have the 1969 "Laughing" version on video - Sorry Sid!

Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:46 am

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:When did AYLT stop being used in the TTWII-SE credits? Because last year, it was aired on Australian T.V, and yes, to my suprise, had the laughing version on the credits

I really love the Lost Performances version, he performs it so delicately. I guess the divorce from Priscilla really shook him up, he even sniffs before 'loved you at first glance'. Beautiful version
Or runny nose.

Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:37 pm

sid wrote:I am a woman I need things s p e l l i n g out for me, it's no good beating around the bush so to speak :lol:


You might not wanna use the phrase on here about beating around the bush. :wink:

Keith, I can't help it, i thought you'd been to quiet lately. You needed bringing into a thread.
Okay, you post yours then. I have a split screen version I made somewhere, but after you sir. :wink:

Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:13 pm

It's a shame that the 1970 version of AYLT has not been released to the general public the way it was supposed to be in 2000/2001.ETC has used it several times,but it does not make the same deep impact as the original version,and of course the focus is not only concentrated on Elvis,but just as much on the stage and smaller screens.

Of course,it also makes a different impression because of the new music which accompanies it.Soundwise some people say it's an improvement.
At least the bass makes it sound more compact and dare I say it,more modern.

But over all I like the proto TTWII SE (movie screening) version better,because it is a genuine moment where you are really close to Elvis' warm sense of humour and he appears to be having a ball.

Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:31 pm

If you buy Elvis Lives: The 25th Anniversary Concert, Are You Lonesome Tonight from TTWII outtakes is on the show. They used it during that show. It is also available on either Volume 9 or 10 of the TTWII outtakes.

Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Elvisa,

The 1970 audience never heard the '69 laughing version of AYLT.
It wasn't released until 1980.
However, if you're referring top Elvis himself liking the '69 reaction and trying to do it again, it could be.

Edwin

Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:12 pm

elvislennon wrote:If you buy Elvis Lives: The 25th Anniversary Concert, Are You Lonesome Tonight from TTWII outtakes is on the show. They used it during that show. It is also available on either Volume 9 or 10 of the TTWII outtakes.
Do they have a talk-interruption in every song? Cause that would make me not buying it..

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:18 pm

Well Edwin, there was an audience in Vegas 69 and some of them might have been there again in 70, that was what I meant. It wasn`t out on record at the time I know that and look how long it took before the 70 one was out on record.

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:43 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Another thing that's been eating me: How come they actually include a segment of Elvis rehearsing Bridge Over Troubled Water in TTWII SE, and not include the actual live performance?


Because Elvis couldn't hit the right notes on this particular song. He sang out of tune. He struggled with it every time. That's what the director said in Elvis - The Man And His Music at the time. I kid you not! :shock:


It's funny ... people say that about so many Elvis songs. (If you consider how many negative remarks are made about him).

I'd like to hear them sing!

Better yet: get their hearing checked.

:twisted: