All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Laughing version of AYLT

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:10 pm

Does anyone know if there is any footage of Elvis singing this song?

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:28 pm

If you're thinking of the August 1969 laughing version, there is no film footage available.

If you're thinking of the August 1970 laughing version, this was used in TTWII Special Edition.

Br
Kristian

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:33 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:If you're thinking of the August 1969 laughing version, there is no film footage available.

If you're thinking of the August 1970 laughing version, this was used in TTWII Special Edition.

Br
Kristian

But not released on TTWIS

you can find it now on the new ElvisThe Concert DVD

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:36 pm

I don`t think that there is footage from the 69 laughing version. A lot of people claims to have seen it years back, but I know a guy who are willing to pay A LOT OF MONEY to the person who can come up with the footage. He is sure that it don`t exists and I think that IF it did, we would have seen it already.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:38 pm

stayawayjoe wrote:
Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:If you're thinking of the August 1969 laughing version, there is no film footage available.

Br
Kristian

But not released on TTWIS

That's correct!

Sadly, the Elvis - That's The Way It Is Special Edition DVD has got to be the only music dvd release in history to actual include less material than the original version screened!

Br
Kristian

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVaM5m3l ... ad%20Annie

Watch the august 70 version, I know that the link says Polk salad annie, but it IS not.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:46 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Sadly, the Elvis - That's The Way It Is Special Edition DVD has got to be the only music dvd release in history to actual include less material than the original version screened!

It's a shame the original "TTWII" isn't available on DVD. I sure hope they don't mess around with "On Tour". I want the real, uncut, original movie on DVD. Not some new version. Please.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:56 pm

Are You Lonesome Tonight is available from TTWII outtakes. It was used during the 25th Anniversary concert. It wasn't at any time available on TTWII SE but it was on the 3 CD Set.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:11 pm

elvislennon wrote:
It wasn't at any time available on TTWII SE

It was included in TTWII SE when it first was screened for the fans during Elvis week in Memphis (if I'm not mistaken..?), and it was the producers intention to have it included on the DVD as well.

And wasn't it also present in the TTWII SE version screened on TCM, before the DVD was released..?

Unfortunately, due to copyright problems, it later had to be removed...

Br
Kristian

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:52 pm

And of course there's footage of the infamous June '77 version which was included in the theatrical version of the movie This Is Elvis.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:02 pm

Marko wrote:And of course there's footage of the infamous June '77 version which was included in the theatrical version of the movie This Is Elvis.

I don't think he could do that song without cracking up. :lol:

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:14 pm

Joe Car wrote:
Marko wrote:And of course there's footage of the infamous June '77 version which was included in the theatrical version of the movie This Is Elvis.

I don't think he could do that song without cracking up. :lol:

Yes he could and he did infact: 24.8.69. He did perfect version dedicated to Marie Parker who had had somekind of an operation. He knew that she liked very much that song so as a gentleman he did it especially for her. :)

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:21 pm

He also did a very good version of the song during the filming of Elvis On Tour on 9 April 1972. It was included in The Lost Performances video.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:45 pm

Marko wrote:He also did a very good version of the song during the filming of Elvis On Tour on 9 April 1972. It was included in The Lost Performances video.

That is my favourite live version of AYLT! Brilliant!

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:26 pm

Marko wrote:He also did a very good version of the song during the filming of Elvis On Tour on 9 April 1972. It was included in The Lost Performances video.

I'm willing to bet that this was the last serious version that he ever did.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:37 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies, I have both versions of TTWII the SE and deleted scenes and it isnt on either of them I know.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:39 pm

It was on the first few copies of TTWII SE.

It was featured at the 25th anni and also in other ETC performances since.

I have a better footage version i might be able to put up if I get the chance. :wink:

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:45 pm

elvisa wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVaM5m3lXmE&search=Elvis%20Presley%20Polk%20Salad%20Annie

Watch the august 70 version, I know that the link says Polk salad annie, but it IS not.

Thanks for the clip. I would have loved to see this footage in TTWII!

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:51 pm

Steve_M wrote:It was on the first few copies of TTWII SE.

It was featured at the 25th anni and also in other ETC performances since.

I have a better footage version i might be able to put up if I get the chance. :wink:

:smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041

Thank you :D

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:53 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:

Somehow I don't really like it, and I prefer other live versions, even the infamous 1977 one. :roll: However, nothing beats the superb studio recording.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:55 pm

elvisa wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVaM5m3lXmE&search=Elvis%20Presley%20Polk%20Salad%20Annie

I meant the 69 version.....but that clip was great, thanks :D

Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:13 pm

Denman wrote:
Hav-A-Tampa wrote:

Somehow I don't really like it, and I prefer other live versions, even the infamous 1977 one. :roll: However, nothing beats the superb studio recording.

Rapid -version is my favorite too, infamous or not. I think joking was just what that song needed. If Elvis had performed that in serious way every time, the spoken part would have sounded a little too corny for a 40 year -old man to sing. Indeed, if you want a serious version, take the master.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:28 pm

Ail78 wrote:
Denman wrote:
Hav-A-Tampa wrote:

Rapid -version is my favorite too, infamous or not. I think joking was just what that song needed. If Elvis had performed that in serious way every time, the spoken part would have sounded a little too corny for a 40 year -old man to sing. Indeed, if you want a serious version, take the master.

The spoken part may be a little corny (but I like it), but compared to the lyrics of other songs he performed at the age of 40, like Teddy Bear, AYLT is great stuff. I like the 72 version because it is performed "straight". Some enjoy the "gay routine version" with Charlie, but I think it ruins a nice song. And the Rapid City version... well, yes I realize he is trying to make a joke of it, and perhaps he wasn't as confused as he seemed. But it is not something I enjoy watching or listening to.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:30 pm

Ail78 wrote:
Denman wrote:
Hav-A-Tampa wrote:

Although, it might have helped if Elvis had done it straight during the June '77 tour (especially with the CBS cameras on).
With the comments made about his health at the time (and the later comments about his medication problems), it would've been better if Elvis had done it straight. It would've shown people that Elvis was still "with it", that he was still capable of remembering the words, and also the writers and reviewers would've had to find something else to nit-pick about.

Tom (from Ohio)

Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:37 pm

The studio version is just great, a classic :wink:
The 69 laughing version is nothing less than FUN FUN FUN and have also become a classic :D
The 70 version is clearly an attempt to pleace the crowd with the changed lyrics from 69 :wink:
The On tour version is a downright heartbreaking version, I think that it was performed right from his heart, to me it both looks and sounds like it, remember that Prisilla had almost just left him. :cry:
The 77 versions are in some way fun too, but I think he ceriusly had problems remembering the lyrics. :?

Well, that`s just my point of view :wink: