All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Was "Double Trouble" an half a@@ attempt....

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:25 am

...at making a "Pink Panther" parody for Elvis..I'm saying that because the humor is similar but it seems that the producers didn't know what they were doing so it ended up being a crappy "parody" of pink panther as opposed to an obvious "parody"......

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:11 am

Absolutely not.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:59 am

everytimje I watch it I get the feeling I'm watching elvis trying to be like peter sellers in a really crappy script that pales compared to the pink panther or anything by sellers..

Re: Was "Double Trouble" an half a@@ attempt....

Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:38 am

joshferrell wrote:...at making a "Pink Panther" parody for Elvis..I'm saying that because the humor is similar but it seems that the producers didn't know what they were doing so it ended up being a crappy "parody" of pink panther as opposed to an obvious "parody"......

Well, it isn't a great film.

But a tad different from his usual stuff.

I quite enjoy it, in a perverse kinda way......

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:19 pm

Elvis didn't even try anymore in this picture and he was great fan of Peter Sellers, so I really don't think so 8)

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:14 pm

Methinks some people tend to over analyze where Elvis' films are concerned.

Repeat after me: "It's an Elvis movie".

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:21 pm

"He [Elvis Presley] was an instinctive actor...He was quite bright...he was very intelligent...He was not a punk. He was very elegant, sedate, and refined, and sophisticated."
- Walter Matthau, 1980's. Academy Award winner and two-time nominated.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:41 pm

Careful Shane. It's not politically correct to admit liking Double Trouble.
It's set in Europe, but wasn't really filmed there and it contains (gasp)!!
Old MacDonald.

I enjoy it, too.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:12 pm

It's among my five favourite Elvis films.

1. Speeedway
2. Live A Little Love A Little
3. Girl Happy
4. Double Trouble
5. Spinout

These in my opinion represent Elvis' most enjoyable comedies. Great performances by himself and his great co-stars. And I love the soundtracks too - even the notorious Old McDonald is a real dance floor groover at the Elvis do's up and down the country!

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:31 pm

I've seen Girl Happy only once and I remember that fake voice done by another actor what was supposed to be Elvis' voice as a woman :?

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:27 am

That fake voice actually IS Elvis immitation a woman!!! He often used the same voice whilst fooling around on stage in the 70s!

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:34 am

I have always enjoyed "Double Trouble".
My other favorite EP movie is "Follow That Dream".

Gets me in good mood.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:46 am

i like double trouble...

shoot me...

i have a thing for bavarian costumes (the brunhilda bit), plus i absolutely love the song "there is so much world to see"...

and annette day is a WELCOME departure from the usual elvis girl; she's cute, a little sarcastic and funny. then again, oddly i'm just about the only elvis fan who seems to hate shelley fabares and like annette.

i suppose part of the bad rap of the film is the underage girl thing, but really, it's pretty funny. and as far as old mcdonald--in my opinion, it is the greatest version ever of that song--it should be used on all the wee sing tapes, just because it is as half-decent as that song can get. (ok, i thought it was kinda cute...)

plus, com'on...you know you love the boat blowing up footage used during eot...it's the funniest part in the lmt movie montage.

actually i think that next to live a little, follow that dream, and stay away joe, it has some of the funniest elvis movie scenes (the drink spilling and elvis dressing up annette with the no-arms kinda look, for example--it's right up there with elvis trying to teach/offering to show dominic how to mate with the cows and grandpa asking if he can watch--probably the funniest elvis movie scene ever--imo).

as far as girl happy--a film i can't say i am very fond of (fabares)...best part hands down was elvis in drag--he was possibly the worst drag queen in history. and yes, that was his real voice--which he impersonated a woman's voice all the time during the '70s. same voice he sang the "toreador" song in for example.

i also adore frankie & johnny. it's a an absolutely fine musical...and the supporting cast is one of elvis' best.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:59 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:actually i think that next to live a little, follow that dream, and stay away joe, it has some of the funniest elvis movie scenes (the drink spilling and elvis dressing up annette with the no-arms kinda look, for example--it's right up there with elvis trying to teach/offering to show dominic how to mate with the cows and grandpa asking if he can watch--probably the funniest elvis movie scene ever--imo).

Er... "It Happened At The World's Fair"?

"Did this man really give you a quarter to kick him?
"Yes. He's some kind of nut."

(Plus Elvis' great facial expressions)

You gotta add that one!

Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:27 am

Stan from Tintane wrote:
double trouble keeps you guessing who done it.
at least it has a plot :shock:

Good point!

And Double Trouble absolutely could have been an okay Elvis movie, hadn't it been for the 3 ridiculous Belgian Policemen...! :roll:

Br
Kristian

Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:30 am

actually the poker playing mayor was pretty funny. the policemen were ridiculous, but amusing. and i like the pot falling/jewel thieves humor.

yeah--the kurt russell part in world's fair is always great.

speedway also has a lot of very fun scenes--the old janitor singing to the mop is one of the best parts.

change of habit's assuming that the 3 nuns are all pregnant (by the same guy) / "nice irish boy meets pretty french girl", etc... all that was very funny.

and of course--good old albert a.k.a. brutus...and the garlic dog food... and the bed board.

waiter elvis in vlv ruining the romantic date/dinner...one of my favorite scenes.

actually there are quite a few memorable things in elvis films. they aren't great (though i think most award winning films are greatly overrated), but they're frequently very amusing.

even some of the 'worst' elvis films have charms...and a few even have plots. moreso it is those specific little moments that tend to stick out.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:59 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:
Stan from Tintane wrote:

Good point!

And Double Trouble absolutely could have been an okay Elvis movie, hadn't it been for the 3 ridiculous Belgian Policemen...! :rol

Br
Kristian

Double Trouble is an okay Elvis movie. Better than okay. Some fine humor. The Wiere Brothers are great.

I enjoy Double Trouble (for humor) more than VLV (oops).

When I want to "watch" VLV, I listen to the FTD soundtrack.

Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:43 am

Elvis made a far better comedy actor than a serious actor in my opinion. And there are so many great comedy scenes. Some of my own favourites include:

VIVA LAS VEGAS - The whole scene with Elvis working as waiter for the Count and Rusty is hilariously spontaneous. It appears to be ad-libbed at times, particularly the "Count Pop - er - Pop Count!" line. It truly is an inspired comedy sequence with fantastic timing from all three parties.

FOLLOW THAT DREAM - The bank scene! What a hoot! Toby is so dilatary that he doesn't realise the whole bank are convinced he's holding them up at gun point! Howard Mcnear is excellent as ever in his role as the nervous loans advisor but Elvis' performance has me peeing my pants with laughter every time!

SPEEDWAY - The scene with Steve and Kenny in the Tax Inspectors office is very fast and funny! Bill Bixby is excellent as he tries to talk his way out of some of the most inexcusable claims. The most classic line exchange of any Elvis film takes place when Elvis' character Steve tells Kenny (Bixby): "I ought to break you in half!" only to be met by the response: "If you do, you'll have two very short friends!". "Funny!" replies Elvis. Class stuff - one of the best Hollywood moments for Elvis and to me personally, much more entertaining than any of the so called classic pre-army films.

The DOUBLE TROUBLE sequence at Annette Day's house where Elvis spills the tea. What a gem!!

And the classic "Ironing Board" mishap in LIVE A LITTLE LOVE A LITTLE is another hoot of a scene, with the most Bizare Elvis line to date: "Oh - My sister Mrs. Baby!!" Woof!

Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:28 pm

I enjoyed watching "Double Trouble" - event though the movie could've been helped if they took out the song "Old MacDonald" and maybe two or three other songs and just focus more on the storyline.

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Elvis made a far better comedy actor than a serious actor in my opinion. And there are so many great comedy scenes. Some of my own favourites include:

VIVA LAS VEGAS - The whole scene with Elvis working as waiter for the Count and Rusty is hilariously spontaneous. It appears to be ad-libbed at times, particularly the "Count Pop - er - Pop Count!" line. It truly is an inspired comedy sequence with fantastic timing from all three parties.

FOLLOW THAT DREAM - The bank scene! What a hoot! Toby is so dilatary that he doesn't realise the whole bank are convinced he's holding them up at gun point! Howard Mcnear is excellent as ever in his role as the nervous loans advisor but Elvis' performance has me peeing my pants with laughter every time!

SPEEDWAY - The scene with Steve and Kenny in the Tax Inspectors office is very fast and funny! Bill Bixby is excellent as he tries to talk his way out of some of the most inexcusable claims. The most classic line exchange of any Elvis film takes place when Elvis' character Steve tells Kenny (Bixby): "I ought to break you in half!" only to be met by the response: "If you do, you'll have two very short friends!". "Funny!" replies Elvis. Class stuff - one of the best Hollywood moments for Elvis and to me personally, much more entertaining than any of the so called classic pre-army films.

The DOUBLE TROUBLE sequence at Annette Day's house where Elvis spills the tea. What a gem!!

And the classic "Ironing Board" mishap in LIVE A LITTLE LOVE A LITTLE is another hoot of a scene, with the most Bizare Elvis line to date: "Oh - My sister Mrs. Baby!!" Woof!

One funny scene in "Charro!" (the part where Billy Roy is behind bars):

Jess Wade: He'll be a lot quieter when that swelling goes down.
Billy Roy Hackett: Swelling from WHAT?
Jess Wade: That bump on your head.
Billy Roy Hackett: [feeling his head] I ain't got no bump on my head.
Jess Wade: [smacking Billy Roy's head into one of the bars] You have now!

Tom (from Ohio)

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:15 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:
Stan from Tintane wrote:

Good point!

And Double Trouble absolutely could have been an okay Elvis movie, hadn't it been for the 3 ridiculous Belgian Policemen...! :roll:

Br
Kristian

:evil: Hey look out what you say about Belgian policeman.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:00 am

sylvain wrote:
Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:
Stan from Tintane wrote:

Good point!

Br
Kristian

:evil: Hey look out what you say about Belgian policeman.

:roll: Well, my verdict would've been the same if these actors were portraying policemen from Tasmania...

Point is, in my humble opinion they weren't funny at all. This kind of comedy may work with Peter Sellers - but not with these guys.

Once again, this is just my 3 cent opinion - nothing more dramatic than that...

Br
Kristian

Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:38 am

I have seen Double Trouble a few weeks ago and I thought the movie isn't as bad as it is described. The movie is a little bit different and there are some funny moments. No big comedy, but still nice to watch on a rainy sunday afternoon.

was double trouble

Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:52 am

... I would rather sit outside, in the rain, than having to sit thru

Double Trouble on a sunday afternoon, dl... !

Re: was double trouble

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:10 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... I would rather sit outside, in the rain, than having to sit thru

Double Trouble on a sunday afternoon, dl... !

Have fun in the rain, Thair. I prefer staying dry.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:55 am

Like it or not Elvis continued popularity in large part because of these films... people greatly enjoy them! I liked Double Trouble but Old McDonald is still my most cringe worthy Elvis moment of all time.

JEFF d
Elvis fan