All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:46 pm

chris c wrote:No, it wasn't aimed specifically at you, Sid, but at all those who enthusiastically contribute streams of responses to a topic like this, when the remarkable thing about Elvis is that there are a thousand examples of utterly brilliant things he did. It seems deliberately perverse to keep harping on about the negative things, which happens quite regularly on Elvis message boards. It's as if people rack their brains to think of something else unfavorable that can be aired at length to Elvis's detriment.

Thanks for that I appreciate it :D

It took me all day to think of a reply to this post, only because I could not put anything in the context of ''worst'' and I suppose I would say that my reply could be classed as my saddest Elvis moment and not his worst.

The question is though..........Will we ever run out of things to discuss about Elvis...........I certainly hope not

:shock:

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:02 pm

Buying the FUN IN ACAPULCO album, thouroghly enjoying all the latin flavoured tracks and then reaching the bonus track - which I had long thought to be the Tom Jones latin classic LOVE ME TONIGHT - only to find it was a different song with no latin flavour at all!!! DOH!

Still - it's a perfect recording of an equally perfect song , so not all was lost! 8)

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:44 am

Beeing forced to attend and watch at full lenght the show of a german ETA in Zurich, Switzerland.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:54 am

There is one very bad moment. I still remember how bad I felt when I learned about it.
This is from Guralnicks book. He said that after the 1968 comeback Elvis and Scotty agreed to lock in the studio and produce some music. Scotty wanted to do something interesting and Elvis seemed enthusiastic.

The fact that this never happenned made me feel really bad, for the missed opportunity. Taking into consideration Elvis' mood, vocal shape and the music he starteted to record since 1967 and at the comeback I may say that it would be Elvis' best album ever. greater than we can imagine.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:10 pm

There is one very bad moment. I still remember how bad I felt when I learned about it.
This is from Guralnicks book. He said that after the 1968 comeback Elvis and Scotty agreed to lock in the studio and produce some music. Scotty wanted to do something interesting and Elvis seemed enthusiastic.

The fact that this never happenned made me feel really bad, for the missed opportunity. Taking into consideration Elvis' mood, vocal shape and the music he starteted to record since 1967 and at the comeback I may say that it would be Elvis' best album ever. greater than we can imagine.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:34 pm

Narek wrote:There is one very bad moment. I still remember how bad I felt when I learned about it.

I felt the exact same way when I read that story. But hey, perhaps if that had happened, we wouldn't have the 69 Memphis Sessions, and who knows which would have turned out better...

K.

Re: Elvis Worst Moment

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:37 pm

[quote="tsc4280"]I love Elvis but there are a good number of these....Someone already said Hound Dog on Rapid City. I NEVER let anybody see that if I am watching that show. I will skip over that every time. Others moments that come to mind:

1--The "Drug Speech" on 9/2/74...Interesting but also embarassing too....Interesting enough, I don't mind listening to this when I am alone. I don't like to share this one too much.

2--When he tried to talk in Omaha, 1977. Espcially the scends from early in the show. It was also awkard when he couldn't remember the names of the sound crew at the end of the show.

3--Elvis did a great version of Unchained Melody (in Rapid City) until the last note, then he just quits and looks at one of the backup singers and says "not bad". Maybe he ran out of breath but it does take away from an otherwise amazing performance. I suspect if he had successfully completed this note, the song may have been incuded in EIC.

4--One of the bootlegs from around 1970 you can hear Elvis say during a song that something makes him feeling "sh***ing"....I'm trying to recall the name of the song. Maybe Heart of Rome or something like that. Not his best moment. That's painful to listen to if you are listening with a "non Elvis fan". I guess I don't really like bathroom humor.

What you mean is on the bootleg "Brightest Star On Sunset Boulevard", he sings "It makes me just feel like shitting, baby...." during "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" It's not a worst moment at all to me. It's just Elvis' sence of humor.....

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:44 pm

chris c wrote:No, it wasn't aimed specifically at you, Sid, but at all those who enthusiastically contribute streams of responses to a topic like this, when the remarkable thing about Elvis is that there are a thousand examples of utterly brilliant things he did. It seems deliberately perverse to keep harping on about the negative things, which happens quite regularly on Elvis message boards. It's as if people rack their brains to think of something else unfavorable that can be aired at length to Elvis's detriment.

We all know how great he was, and what wonderful performances he gave.

But it's no detriment to the man to discuss his weaker moments.

And it's interesting to compare notes with other fans.

What I see as a 'worst moment' Pete Dube doesn't find so bad etc. etc.

Lighten up, Chris.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:23 pm

My worst Elvis moments are 95% of the movies he made...

Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:28 am

I've always hated that gay routine Elvis did with Charlie Hodge in the 1976-77 period when he would sing "Are You Lonesome Tonight". See the June 1977 Omaha show for an example. I have no doubt it pampered Charlie's ego to no end, but I just hate seeing a good performance of a great song being ruined on account of the little weasel.

In fact how many straight live performances do we have of "Are You Lonesome Tonight"? Very few. Thank God for that one from Hampton Roads in 1972.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:00 am

Worst moment: reading excerpts from the Albert Goldman book in a Swedish newspaper in 1981 or 82. Naturally, they chose the worst passages, making Elvis seem like a complete madman who was drugged 100% of the time, wearing diapers, shooting TV:s and people, and so on. I didn't believe half of it, but I remember my heart sinking anyway, "everyone else is going to think this was the real Elvis"...

Of course, reading the book recently I discovered it's not quite as bad as I remembered it, there's some interesting stuff too. But it is more than anything else the condensating and insulting way it is written that makes it an unpleasant reading experience. That guy really must have hated Elvis, for some reason.

Then again, Alanna Nash is writing books about Elvis, and she doesn't seem to care much for him either (the book about Colonel Parker doesn't paint a nice picture of either man, but Elvis comes across as a zombie, more or less, completely unable to make any decicions of his own. And, of course, he is wearing diapers... Not to mention all the factual mistakes in the book).

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Worst moment: reading excerpts from the Albert Goldman book in a Swedish newspaper in 1981 or 82. Naturally, they chose the worst passages, making Elvis seem like a complete madman who was drugged 100% of the time, wearing diapers, shooting TV:s and people, and so on. I didn't believe half of it, but I remember my heart sinking anyway, "everyone else is going to think this was the real Elvis"...

Of course, reading the book recently I discovered it's not quite as bad as I remembered it, there's some interesting stuff too. But it is more than anything else the condensating and insulting way it is written that makes it an unpleasant reading experience. That guy really must have hated Elvis, for some reason.

Then again, Alanna Nash is writing books about Elvis, and she doesn't seem to care much for him either (the book about Colonel Parker doesn't paint a nice picture of either man, but Elvis comes across as a zombie, more or less, completely unable to make any decicions of his own. And, of course, he is wearing diapers... Not to mention all the factual mistakes in the book).

Oh no! I also remember that excert from the newspaper "Expressen". Also my worst moment!//Björn

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:23 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Worst moment: reading excerpts from the Albert Goldman book in a Swedish newspaper in 1981 or 82. Naturally, they chose the worst passages, making Elvis seem like a complete madman who was drugged 100% of the time, wearing diapers, shooting TV:s and people, and so on. I didn't believe half of it, but I remember my heart sinking anyway, "everyone else is going to think this was the real Elvis"...

And they did and they still do. Goldman's objective was to destroy Elvis' reputation and he did a fine job. The repercussions are still being felt a quarter of a century on.

Worst moment for me was first seeing the CBS footage in the early 80s. I'm so used to it now that I think nothing of it. First viewing was awful.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:40 pm

JEFF d wrote:Old McDonald for me it's right up there with Confidence. :smt034 That's just my 2 cents... I try not to dwell on the negative, just enjoy what you enjoy and leave the rest behind.

JEFF d
EAP fan

That's right, Jeff. Want to know a secret?? I enjoy Old MacDonald in Double Trouble. Confidence in Clambake, too.

My worst Elvis moment?? The exact moment I heard that Elvis had died on August 16th, 1977. Every other "worst" moment is insignificant/meaningless.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:02 pm

Elvis' death- without question. Couldn't believe it. Was in a state of shock. The interesting thing is that I had just fininished reading "Elvis What Happened?" and I was really angry at the writers for their "lies." I was certaining in a tail spin after that.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:52 pm

Confidence :twisted:

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:21 am

So why is HIGH HOPES a classic and CONFIDENCE a fluff? I personally like CONFIDENCE. Nowt wrong with it! It's better than bloody HOUND DOG anyway!

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:23 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:So why is HIGH HOPES a classic and CONFIDENCE a fluff? I personally like CONFIDENCE. Nowt wrong with it! It's better than bloody HOUND DOG anyway!

I wouldn't go quite that far!!

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:28 am

HOUND DOG bores the sh*t out of me! Same damn line over and over again - and the cheesy Jordanaires at their worst. At least Confidence has a nice tune, and a cool story to tell!

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:36 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:HOUND DOG bores the sh*t out of me! Same damn line over and over again - and the cheesy Jordanaires at their worst. At least Confidence has a nice tune, and a cool story to tell!

Yeah, you're right. "Hound Dog" never was much of a hit. "Confidence" on the other hand, just soared up the charts.

If only the song had been around for the Ed Sullivan shows.

Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:09 am

Yeah. And if only the 60s Nashville Wreckin' Crew, Hal Blaine etc had been around for the Ed Sullivan Shows instead of Scotty and co!!!

I'm not saying HOUND DOG was a flop and CONFIDENCE was a hit. I'm saying that HOUND DOG is a bore - very over rated. He did much better stuff, and as far as enjoyement, I prefer CONFIDENCE!! It's pleasent enough.

HOUND DOG and LOVE ME TENDER and JAILHOUSE ROCK are all considered 50s classics, whereas if I had to put the 50s tracks in order of greatness, they'd be low on the list. Higher up would be WHen It Rains It Really Poors, Aint That Loving You Baby (fast) and Don't

Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:33 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:HOUND DOG bores the sh*t out of me! Same damn line over and over again - and the cheesy Jordanaires at their worst. At least Confidence has a nice tune, and a cool story to tell!

You've said it all. No more please, we can't follow.

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:17 pm

I'm saying that HOUND DOG is a bore - very over rated. He did much better stuff, and as far as enjoyement, I prefer CONFIDENCE!! It's pleasent enough.

My brain hurts after reading that! :smt101

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:29 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:HOUND DOG and LOVE ME TENDER and JAILHOUSE ROCK are all considered 50s classics, whereas if I had to put the 50s tracks in order of greatness, they'd be low on the list.

Yeah, those three are real losers!! Thanks for that well informed and awe-inspiring opinion... now go soak your head!! :shock:

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:34 pm

This thread getting 76 replies.