All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Your Worst Elvis Moment....

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:38 pm

Worst Elvis moment ?

For me, it was hearing the strings on All That I Am !

Elvis always had a 'bare bones' backing of just the rhythm group.

We just about forgave the King Creole brass, but this was violins !

After his army stint, Elvis returned to a pop world full of string backings.

The powers-that-be had decided that rock needed 'sweetening up'.

But Elvis totally ignored this and stuck with his winning formula.

Until that single !

I heard first it on the radio in 1966, and was mortified !

Much to my wife's amusement.

Anyone else have a 'worst Elvis moment ' ?

Re: Your Worst Elvis Moment....

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:56 pm

ColinB wrote: Anyone else have a 'worst Elvis moment ' ?

No!

:wink:

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:58 pm

ColinB wrote:Anyone else have a 'worst Elvis moment ' ?

August 16th, 1977.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:20 pm

Listening to "Confidence" in "Clambake" when I first saw it on TV in the beginning of the 80s. As a child I thought it was a ridiculous song for the coolest man in the world (what he was for me at that time)...

Joern
Last edited by Joern on Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:29 pm

Matthew wrote:August 16th, 1977.

Come on, that was nothing compared to adding strings to a movie soundtrack ballad!

Chris

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:44 pm

I was not a fan in 77 so I dont remember that sad day...
But the cancelled xtra footage on TTWII-SE dvd was a huge letdown...still is. :twisted:

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:48 pm

elvis concerts from 75 to 77.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:50 pm

Hands down, the worse Elvis moment has to be Presley gyrating to Rapid City' Hound Dog! Even worse, we got both the front and back - camera angle :roll:! Lord Have Mercy!

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:52 pm

Passing up the Louisville show from July 23, 1976 in order to attend baseball camp in Ohio.

Doh!

BTW, that playground scene in "Clambake" sucks.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:59 pm

Using the word "riff-raff" in Charro.......ouch.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:08 pm

Matthew wrote:

August 16th, 1977.

Yeah, well, OK, but I was kinda thinking of a record or performance while he was alive...

Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:29 pm

Rob wrote:Passing up the Louisville show from July 23, 1976 in order to attend baseball camp in Ohio.
Doh!

It's very brave of you to share this with us Rob :oops:
Takes a lot of courage...

My worst Elvis moment?
The first time I heard College Park on the Profile box...

Cheers, RJ

Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:30 pm

Matthew wrote:

August 16th, 1977.

I agree with matthew

Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:43 pm

USMale wrote:
Matthew wrote:

August 16th, 1977.

I agree with matthew

I agree with both of you.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:11 pm

The powers that be did not decide rock n' roll needed strings. The artists themselves decided that as their visions continued to expand. It led to some of the most powerful records ever made like "Be My Baby", "Save the Last Dance for Me"' "There Goes My Baby" as well to the experimentations that led to the sainted Sgt Pepper and Pet Sounds. Orbison's entire career was built around that breakthrough.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:31 pm

For me some of the worst times were waiting inline outside woolworths every monday morning for the uk 18 no 1s, what a farce that turned out to be and one of the greatest rip offs to hit the fans IMO.

Also watching "stayaway joe" ouch bad direction or what?

i feel for you rob re missing the concert for baseball camp!
did you ever see him rob??

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:36 pm

daz cav wrote:i feel for you rob re missing the concert for baseball camp! did you ever see him rob??

It was by choice. I had every intention of playing for the Cincinnati Reds some day (didn't happen).

I saw Elvis in concert two other times, so don't feel too sorry for me.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:16 pm

I just watched Wild In The Country again after many years.The drunk scene with the water hose was absolutely brutal.
Jak

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:44 pm

Not so much what did happen, more what didn't - the missed opportunities!

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:54 pm

daz cav wrote:For me some of the worst times were waiting inline outside woolworths every monday morning for the uk 18 no 1s, what a farce that turned out to be and one of the greatest rip offs to hit the fans IMO.

Yes, you're right, that was pretty ridiculous in hindsight although there was a certain camararderie amongst the Elvis Regulars outside Virgin on those freezing Monday mornings. :)

Still we can't blame Elvis for that fiasco unlike 'Old McDonald'....

Elvis Worst Moment

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:31 pm

I love Elvis but there are a good number of these....Someone already said Hound Dog on Rapid City. I NEVER let anybody see that if I am watching that show. I will skip over that every time. Others moments that come to mind:

1--The "Drug Speech" on 9/2/74...Interesting but also embarassing too....Interesting enough, I don't mind listening to this when I am alone. I don't like to share this one too much.

2--When he tried to talk in Omaha, 1977. Espcially the scends from early in the show. It was also awkard when he couldn't remember the names of the sound crew at the end of the show.

3--Elvis did a great version of Unchained Melody (in Rapid City) until the last note, then he just quits and looks at one of the backup singers and says "not bad". Maybe he ran out of breath but it does take away from an otherwise amazing performance. I suspect if he had successfully completed this note, the song may have been incuded in EIC.

4--One of the bootlegs from around 1970 you can hear Elvis say during a song that something makes him feeling "sh***ing"....I'm trying to recall the name of the song. Maybe Heart of Rome or something like that. Not his best moment. That's painful to listen to if you are listening with a "non Elvis fan". I guess I don't really like bathroom humor.

5--On the Memphis sessions, he calls somebody (maybe the entourage) a bunch of cocksuckers. I cuss about that's another level of cussing and pretty degrading to the intended receiver. Most people I know would kick your ass if you called them that.

All this said, I still love and admire Elvis...

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:32 pm

Rob wrote:...It was by choice. I had every intention of playing for the Cincinnati Reds some day (didn't happen)...

Whew. For a second there, I thought you might be Rob Dibble.

Worst Elvis moment? I have to agree with funky on this one--gyrating to "Hound Dog" in the 1977 CBS Special.

We could almost make separate topics for this. "Worst movie moment" and "worst stage moment." There are several movie moments which make you watch with one eye closed...

worst

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:48 pm

Rob, the memories must be great thou from the 2 shows you saw good stuff you lucky guy!! :)

purplegang, couldnt agree more :)

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:08 pm

For me it was hearing "Ito Eats", "Dominic" and "Queenie Wahini's Papaya".

Absolute dregs of a stellar career.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:36 pm

CONFIDENCE is the worst moment in the worst film CLAMBAKE.