All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

I WAS THE ONE - FTD OVERDUBS

Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:41 am

Remember this album,

Whether you like it or not all this stuff should be released 11 tracks plus any more Scotty and DJ re done. Plus add the Tv show overdubs on This is Elvis - Plus the Elvis Medley and a nice compilation in excellent sound.

Any more overdubs from the Guitar man session

I hope ernst don't forget the Extended instrumental of Santa Lucia on the VLV ftd. We aint never had it so better than letting it rot away ?

Will we finally get the movie version of Frankie and Johnny with different lyrics , on the F&J ftd.

if it aint on cd yet then it needs to be released.....

Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:56 am

Richard Grant -

Those with long memories will know that I have my reservations about the 'I Was The One' album !

I think it was a PR scam !

Wanting to 'beef up' the bass/percussion on these tracks to make them more up-to-date, but mindful of the negative feedback which 'Guitar Man' had generated a couple of years earlier, they had an idea.

Why not get Scotty, D J Fontana and the Jordanaires to re-record their parts note-for-note ?

Who could argue with that ?

They may have got them to do that, but I don't think we hear them on the record !

How would they have removed the original backings from these mono tracks ? Without removing the original backings they would have to just play along with them, which would sound an awful mess !

Why not use a nice stereo spread this time ? [The tracks sound virtually mono to these old ears, even 'Little Sister' which was stereo to start with !].

I think we were conned !

The strange thing is, whenever I bring this up, very few posters ever respond - whether to agree or otherwise.

What do the rest of you think ?

Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:02 pm

I guess many people (including myself) would like to see that album released because of sentimental reasons. It was originally released at a time when there was practically nothing coming out, and I remember how happy I was with that album.
Apart from being a huge 50's fan, I sure liked that cover too, and the different UK cover was very cool as well.

And I must say that 'Baby Let's Play House' from that album is one of my all time favourite Presley rockabilly tunes.

A couple of songs were released on 'Elvis Country', from 1988, in the US.

Take that 'Elvis Medley''album: it is horrible! But I bought it immediatly after it was released on CD. Purely for sentimental reasons .....

Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:14 pm

The main goal was to give the mono-only fifties songs a fresh 1980's stereo sound by having the original musicians re-do their thing.
In the USA this LP was a stereo release but for reasons unknown in the UK it was a MONO release thus losing the main goal.
I would love to see this re-released on CD by FTD with eventual bonus tracks like single-only mixes.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:16 pm

I liked this album, and would love to buy it on CD. :D
I would prefer to buy this one on the FTD label than the 61 concert they are going to release. :D

8)

Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:15 pm

The BMG Album was bootlegged several years ago in Stereo and the sound is great! If you are able to buy it, just do it. It´s tremendous to hear these old songs so fresh.
Happy Hunting!
P.S: the Boot Cover is the same than the original and as a bonus they added the overdubbed this is elvis 50´s live tracks.! :D

Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:23 pm

BABY I DONT CARE AND BABY LETS PLAY HOUSE REALLY STOOD OUT AND HOW ANYONE CAN SAY THEY CANNOT HEAR THE DIFFERENCE IS OBVIOUSLY STONE DEAF. PUT ON ESSENTIAL V1 AND THEN COMPARE BIDC.

This is Elvis Tv Show dubbs made a massive improvement and sounded what they would have done if you were there on the night not from an old 45 year kilidoscope tape in mono which we have been listening to all these years.

The point i am making is, there is no point leaving stuff like this to rot, lets get it out so we can here it. I cannot believe the bottleggers have missed this stuff.

If this was remastered again into complete stereo it would sound terrific. Plus add some more if there is any, do this before we get another soundboard with the same old songs on.

I personnally liked the Guitar Man lp, Didn't the SINGLE GET TO NO 1 ON U.S COUNTRY CHART. Far better to have this stuff than the crap remix of Rubberneckin designed for plebs aged 14 that have no idea what good music is all about.

At least this stuff was overdubbed or remixed by Elvis' Musicians or Felton his producer, not some radio 1 disc jockey who knows nothing about EP, i cannot see Elvis liking this new remix one bit - i would rather listen to outakes of old macdonald than this and i am being serious.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:59 pm

I remember ColinB`s scam theory posting from a couple of years back, and i have to admit that i think he has a point. I dont doubt new stuff was recorded by Scotty etc, but if it was mixed into the original tracks, it was mixed very low !

Having said that, i have always enjoyed this album.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:26 pm

Ez & WoodleyJohn -

Thanks for your support !

Luuk has hit on something.

If it was remixed to mono for the UK, perhaps we are missing the [stereo] overdubs !

That would explain everything.

But what a crass thing to do !

Defeats the whole object !

Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:12 pm

It sure sounded different to me, at the time.

I no longer have a vinyl player, so I can't give the old album a spin. But I remember being impressed with the sound back then.

I must admit, it would be hard to overdub a mono track - unless they were binaural. Surely that wasn't that case? :shock:

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:05 pm

I dont have the LP any more any from what I remember I played it a couple of times and put it away. OK but it did'nt "move me"....

Would be interesting to know how they "mixed" the added/ replaced backing tracks. Does anyone know when the "Binaurual" or stereo tapes were discovered or did they use the old "electronically created stereo" techniques ?
This :idea: could lead to lots of alt tracks with radically different backing being "found" ! :roll:

Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:15 am

Some of the tracks came out on budget CDs, Maybe I can put comparison snippets on the society page..

Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:03 am

From what I remember they painstakingly played note for note over the old backing track. Giving us the original music just sounding better with the modern equiptment(at the time).

8)

Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:22 am

Sam -

Yes, that's what was claimed at the time.

But as I explained, I doubt that is what we hear on the UK version, at least !

Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:55 pm

They aren't exact, actually.... "Rip It Up's" drum pattern in the instrumental break is a perfect example... he doesn't hit the little riffs he did in the 50's.

Keep an eye out, I'll put demo pieces up.

Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:10 pm

I actually liked this LP much better than the Guitar Man overdubs. I made a CD from my LP and added the overdubbed TV tracks from the This Is Elvis soundtrack and it makes a very enjoyable CD
cheers
Johnny

Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:19 pm

johnnytyronne -

Funny you should add those tracks.

On the UK version of the 'I Was The One' album, we got those as bonus cuts.

Now I can hear the difference on those !

Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:27 am

Just a quick note... got a new remix of "I Shall Be Released/It's Only Love" medley on the EAP Society website, and there are two files (Baby, Let's Play House" and "Rip It Up") in the clip section comparing the original versions with the "I Was The One" overdubbed versions so everyone can hear exactly what the differences are.

Enjoy!

Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:32 am

Here's the deal.

From the cover image on down, the 1983 I Was The One LP was a somewhat crass attempt to capitalize on the success of rockabilly revivalists the Stray Cats. The Long Island trio hit the top ten three times between October 1982 and August 1983, with "Stray Cat Strut" making #3 on January 8, 1983, Elvis' 48th birthday. Maybe that's when the idea was born!

Besides Scotty and DJ, Dale Sellers was a very talented, Scotty Moore-type guitarist, and Emory Gordy a top bass player -- Gordy played the kinetic bass lines on 1972's "Burning Love" -- but none of them added a thing to the original Presley recordings originally cut between 1955 and 1961.

A reissue of this would be near the bottom of my FTD "wish list."

God bless!!

Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:35 am

I reckon the sound was an improvement. :?

:twisted:

Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:46 am

Yep.. David Briggs told me that when he saw all the attention the Stray Cats were getting, he said "Hey! Forget that, how about the ORIGINAL??" And thus the idea was born. Not a bad idea, kinda neat. Not high on my FTD list, either, but since Colin and some others were wondering just what was done, I thought I'd put the samples up. :)

Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:45 am

Mike -

Thanks for the samples !

Listening to them really only confirms what I said at the start.

They have 'beefed up' the bass & percussion to try to give a modern sound.

Scotty remains as he always was.

Your comparisons don't have any Jordanaires, but they are also unchanged [IMHO].

Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:53 pm

Actually, they added drims, harmony guitar, and rhythm guitar. The Jordanaires did do their vocals again, but I don't have any good quality copies of those songs from the album, so I couldn't post those.

But you're right, it was just a "beef-up" project. Kinda cool at the time, but nothing earth-shattering.

Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:56 pm

I agree with DJC’s assessment here. The new overdubs added nothing to the originals, so I don’t really see the point in an FTD release of this album. I did like the cover art that was used for the UK edition, but as I still have my vinyl copy I can live without an FTD re-issue.

Obviously some collectors want CD versions of everything, and since FTD started
re-issuing deleted titles we have had some good suggestions in terms of out of print titles, and some poor ones (the Camden albums, for example). Personally, I would settle for an album (or two) that compiles the few alternate takes that have been forgotten since the transfer from vinyl to CD, and any significantly different mixes (not remakes) that have appeared on deleted albums in the past.