All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:20 am

Doin the best I can is a beautiful song, really well performed though, and I do like pocket full of rainbows very much. The extended soundtrack CD with bonus songs does make an enjoyable listen, albeit with a couple of skips!

The alternate versions (What She's Really Like, Doin' The Best, Shoppin' Around with E on guitar etc) do make the overall Soundtrack far more interesting.
In fact although I grew up not enjoying 'Frankfort Special' the Close Up Take.5 has a lovely 'Mystery Train' rhythm. A real favourite.

And didn't Elvis sing Doin the best I can at his Memphis concert? He obviously liked the song himself.

I don't mind the lazy acoustic 'Blue Suede Shoes', not a patch on the original but they needed the 'jukebox' song and I think it's ok in context. Surely better to have a acoustic strum through the song than just repeating the 1956 version on the GI soundtrack?

Perhaps the overall real soundtrack quality killer would be 'Wooden Heart' getting to # 1 in Europe & selling millions. That must have helped greenlight all "nursery-rhyme" songs from then on.
Maybe one "Ito Eats' is ok on a 14-track LP (especially if there are other strong tracks to compensate) but both 'Old MacDonald' and 'I Love Only One Girl' in only 9 songs recorded for Double Trouble ..phewie...

Cheers
Piers

Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:39 am

PiersIeN wrote:

I don't mind the lazy acoustic 'Blue Suede Shoes', not a patch on the original but they needed the 'jukebox' song and I think it's ok in context. Surely better to have a acoustic strum through the song than just repeating the 1956 version on the GI soundtrack?

Actually if you listen to the dialogue putting the 1956 version on the jukebox would have been a more logicial approach to the movie.

For one it sounded alot different and that works for the movie.
The dude wanting to play the jukebox during "tulsa's" show said something along the lines of, "I would rather hear the original", meaning, Elvis or the original Elvis version. So it would have made for sense to play the original verision, but still leave it off the album.
But I bet they couldn't get rights to use it on the soundtrack so they had to re-record it.