All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Re: POCKETFULL OF RAINBOWS- Best song on the G.I.Blues

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Is it the best song of the "G.I. Blues" session? No. That title goes to "Doin' The Best I Can," which is the only number that might have be allowed in the door of Presley's peerless Elvis Is Back! sessions a few weeks prior.

I have always loved that song. It's my personal favorite that was featured in the film.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:48 pm

I agree with the Doc - who'd thought after Elvis is Back that the next album would contain Big Boots and Wooden Heart, along with a substandard blue suede shoes.

I don't think it's the first time awful material made it to soundtrack though. Steadfast, Loyal and True, springs to mind, along with anything from Love Me Tender.

Doin the best I can is a beautiful song, really well performed though, and I do like pocket full of rainbows very much. The extended soundtrack CD with bonus songs does make an enjoyable listen, albeit with a couple of skips!

Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:04 pm

I have this sneakin' feelin' that most people tend to forget what soundtracks were really for. And thus forgetting how Elvis got so tired of them in the long run.
In the early sixties, all were new, Elvis was focused and politely did what was expected of him. In the long run he got tired of them, as you can clearly hear on many outtakes.
Still, at the end of that movie era, he somehow pulled himself together.
But, what can one expect with the material like that from Clambake?
Still the few songs from LALLAL and Change Of Habit had some substance
about them and Elvis performed better than previous years in the last half of that era.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:06 pm

DarrylMac wrote:I agree with the Doc - who'd thought after Elvis is Back that the next album would contain Big Boots and Wooden Heart, along with a substandard blue suede shoes.

I don't think it's the first time awful material made it to soundtrack though. Steadfast, Loyal and True, springs to mind, along with anything from Love Me Tender.


Yes, starting as early as Love Me Tender it was the movies which accounted for most of the poor material that Elvis recorded.

And the success of the G I Blues and Blue Hawaii soundtracks, with their quota of naff songs, decided the direction of his career for most of the 60's.

If only the Wild In The Country & Flaming Star films had met with such success......

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:03 pm

No one mentions the lame version of Blue suede shoes. It´s really disappointing compared to the excellent 1956 version.

/Björn

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:05 pm

Dreambear, I mentioned it, and I agree - it's nothing compared to Elvis' version from 1956. It sounds like an impersonator!

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:19 pm

In the movie, Elvis as the G I, impersonated the single BLUE SUEDE SHOES - ELVIS PRESLEY from the jukebox.
Does soundtrack to a movie starring Elvis Presley as "some guy" singing ring a bell?
It was this "guy" in all those movies Elvis Presley had to play, singing all those silly songs that the script demanded him to sing.
I'm amazed the way Elvis pulled it off i most cases in the first half of the sixties.
And as for the G I Blues version of Blue Suede Shoes, perhaps it was intented for that particular scene in the movie that the song was sung the way it was??
Otherwise, why not use the original, having the G I to imitate ELVIS PRESLEY's original version?

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:21 pm

Bajo - technically, Elvis as the GI, ie Tulsa, didn't impersonate Elvis. Another GI get's bored, and selects the record on the jukebox, which starts a fight. The jukebox card actually says Elvis Presley - Blue Suede Shoes, so it's Elvis who gets the credit for this version in the movie, not Tulsa or anyone else.

I agree that they could have used the original, perhaps RCA objected? Don't know why they would though, or perhaps a second version was needed to pad out the album? Either way, the version on the album has no excuse for being second rate, which it is.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:27 pm

bajo wrote:And as for the G I Blues version of Blue Suede Shoes, perhaps it was intented for that particular scene in the movie that the song was sung the way it was??
Otherwise, why not use the original, having the G I to imitate ELVIS PRESLEY's original version?


In the film, they were supposed to be playing the Elvis Presley single of Blue Suede Shoes on the juke box.

I reckon it was for reasons of convenience that they re-recorded it when doing the soundtrack songs !

To have used the original would have meant getting 'permission' etc from RCA.

By re-recording it, they had full 'ownership' of the track and could use it as they wished.

Just my take.

Re: POCKETFULL OF RAINBOWS- Best song on the G.I.Blues

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:31 pm

GIRL HAPPY BOY wrote:Just looked at the songs on the G.I. BLUES soundtrack LP and i think IMO that POCKETFULL OF RAINBOWS is the best on the LP.

I agree. It is an elegant little pearl.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:40 pm

I follow you Colin! Long since I saw the movie, I just recalled the jukebox, not the scene as such.
But, for the soundtrack it may well be that the rights and stuff demanded another recording of the song. The filmcompany on one hand, RCA on the other. So Elvis "gave" them another version. Just to underline: "Why don't you use the one we already have?"
That said, I think the G I Blues version sounds more like a jam session and isn't that bad. Any outtakes of this??

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:50 pm

Isn't the version of 'Blue Suede Shoes' that is actually heard on the jukebox the 1956 version? It sure sounds like it too these ears.

Andy

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:57 pm

Andy - no, it's definitely the version heard on the soundtrack album. All this talk of GI Blues made me pop it on for a bit earlier!

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:04 pm

"Dreambear, I mentioned it, and I agree - it's nothing compared to Elvis' version from 1956. It sounds like an impersonator! "


Darryl............"It sounds like an impersonator" ???

Though the 1960 version of Blue Suede Shoes lacks the bite of the 56 version, its anything but "substanded".

I love the GI Blues soundtrack,and have done since i was a kid, Elvis` singing is sublime. As for the material, what do you expect in a middle of the road family film ?

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:20 pm

Ezzz & Daryll Mac!

I have to buy new glasses :oops:

Otherwise it´s one of the few occasions where Elvis re-recorded a studio track (live versions not counted). The other examples in my mind are the Tonight´s all right for love-copyright-story, Swing down sweet chariot, You don´t know me and the new september 1969 vocals for Let us pray (is the later rumour confirmed?).

Regards//Björn

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:32 pm

Elvis also re-recorded LOVE LETTERS in 1970, dont know why...
i prefer the original 1966 version! more tender, soft & romantic
sincerely
LIOR :wink:

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:34 pm

Elvis also re-recorded LOVE LETTERS in 1970, dont know why...
i prefer the original 1966 version! more tender, soft & romantic

Don't forget about his breathtaking live versions from 1976! :wink:

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:28 pm

I first heard Blue Suede on Aloha album live!! When I got my GI Blues album I liked it and was happy that Elvis sang it pretty well compared to original!!!! 8) I was still 5 or so years away of hearing the REAL thing when it was re released in the 80s.... :lol: 8)

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:29 pm

GIRL HAPPY BOY wrote:Elvis also re-recorded LOVE LETTERS in 1970, dont know why...
i prefer the original 1966 version! more tender, soft & romantic
sincerely
LIOR :wink:
You answered your own question and I also agree! :)

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:41 pm

There's an alternate take of "Blue Suede Shoes" on the Collector's edition CD which came out several years ago that kicks ass. I haven't dug it up in some time, but I loved Elvis's smooth vocal on it. I was never a big fan of the '56 version, actually. (Will I get smacked for admitting that??)

The "G.I.Blues" soundtrack was a big favorite of mine for many years, and still holds a special place for me. I wore that out growing up, and "Shopping Around" was the song I returned to most often. Over time, I appreciated several of the other tracks on the album, too, all of which have been mentioned here already.

And, as many have already said, it's given me the impetus to pull it out and revisit the old friend!

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:49 pm

dreambear wrote:Ezzz & Daryll Mac!

I have to buy new glasses :oops:

Otherwise it´s one of the few occasions where Elvis re-recorded a studio track (live versions not counted). The other examples in my mind are the Tonight´s all right for love-copyright-story, Swing down sweet chariot, You don´t know me and the new september 1969 vocals for Let us pray (is the later rumour confirmed?).

Regards//Björn


Not forgetting Don't Leave Me Now :)

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:17 pm

good song in gi blues .- i also like frankfort special , wooden heart and rest of the songs in movie .- :wink:

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:39 pm

bajo wrote:I follow you Colin! Long since I saw the movie, I just recalled the jukebox, not the scene as such.
But, for the soundtrack it may well be that the rights and stuff demanded another recording of the song. The filmcompany on one hand, RCA on the other. So Elvis "gave" them another version. Just to underline: "Why don't you use the one we already have?"
That said, I think the G I Blues version sounds more like a jam session and isn't that bad. Any outtakes of this??


No - Elvis nailed it in just the one take !

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:33 pm

KHoots wrote:There's an alternate take of "Blue Suede Shoes" on the Collector's edition CD which came out several years ago that kicks ass.



???

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:42 pm

Spellbinder wrote:
KHoots wrote:There's an alternate take of "Blue Suede Shoes" on the Collector's edition CD which came out several years ago that kicks ass.


Perhaps he means the live version on Too Much Monkey Business with new rhythm tracks..??