All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:22 am

JEFF d wrote:Check this "mock up" design on the Elvis in Norway site... thoughts?
Unchained Melody FTD

JEFF d
EAP fan

Please, no.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:50 am

I was on "another" website, and they have this written underneath the cover art pic:

(This Is Not The Finalized Cover- Design)

Rich

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:35 am

It's not a bad candid from the era but it's an uninspired cover. Photo and title. A hark back to the Parker days of the mid 70's. The photo would probably be more suited to the back. But these covers have changed in the past so we'll see. To be honest I couldn't care less. They could put a picture of DJC in speedo's on the front and I'd still buy it!.......

........on second thoughts!!!!!!! :)

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:29 am

This is the full photo from Keith Alverson taken on February 15, 1977

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:19 am

I like it the way it is. But I also liked the first attempt for I Found My Thrill better than the second. So that's just me.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:29 pm

Joe Car wrote:I think cover art is very important, it catches people's eye and can only increase sales.

Not only that, but we do pay for the cover as well as the CD (at least most here do).

picture

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:22 pm

I like the photo because he invariably looked healthier and slimmer in his off stage attire. I can see the attraction of a photo of Elvis at the piano as it links the the song and album title but I think it re-inforces the negative image of Elvis from this period. He should have ditched the jumpsuits years before IMO.

cheers Jamie

Unchained Melody Cover Artwork

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:43 pm

Perhaps they could select say three alternative shots and allow us to conduct a poll for our favourite cover. Or perhaps we could conduct our own poll to submit some alternatives for their final decision. Would this work? What do you reckon?

After all, as Rob has pointed out, in the end WE are paying for it.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:25 pm

paulsweeney wrote:This is the full photo from Keith Alverson taken on February 15, 1977

This is a great cover and I'll tell you why.

It's a high quality, Feb'77, off stage candid..
Personally, I think Elvis looks pretty cool.
Most '77 jumpsuit photo's are not that great agree?

But more importantly, read the statement of Keith:

"I can remember one incident in Montgomery..
Elvis arrived at the garage of his hotel, he had just completed a concert in Orlando..
The car door opened, and Elvis walked straight towards me, heading for the elevator.
The elevator door had not yet opened,
and a crowd began to gather while Elvis and his group were forced to wait and face a dozen or so of us fans.
Elvis talked and seemed very comfortable with the situation, while the security guys freaked out.
I got in position and snapped my favorite candid of Elvis!"

I certainly hope you guys appreciate this cover a little bit more, now you know the story behind it..

Cheers, RJ

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:46 pm

Robert wrote:
I certainly hope you guys appreciate this cover a little bit more, now you know the story behind it..

Cheers, RJ

I want to but nope... I just can't. It still sucks.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:53 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Robert wrote:

Cheers, RJ

I want to but nope... I just can't. It still sucks.

Well, at least I've tried! :wink:

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:07 pm

I made this cover, just for fun.
What do you think? They could use better pictures of him at the piano, Im sure they exist.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:09 pm

That looks much better but they gotta come up with something to replace the 1970's ELVIS font. It's been done to death.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 pm

I prefer Sergio's cover.

It's not that the picture on the "official" one is bad - it is not - it is a very nice photo. It just does not look good on the cover shot (inapproriate, & too tightly cropped)

Unchained Melody Cover Art...

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:56 pm

BIGREDG wrote:
I prefer Sergio's cover.

It's not that the picture on the "official" one is bad - it is not - it is a very nice photo. It just does not look good on the cover shot (inapproriate, & too tightly cropped)

Agreed

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:26 pm

Problem is, if we're gonna get a picture with Elvis at the piano, we're gonna get Charlie in it as well! Sergio's cover looks alright to me, but unless they find a really good shot of EP at the piano, I'd rather have that candid photo where Elvis at least looks happy and relaxed.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:36 pm

Quote: Problem is, if we're gonna get a picture with Elvis at the piano, we're gonna get Charlie in it as well!

Charlie could be digitally erased from the picture.

Other than the 70's font, the cover design is superior to the other one.

I do think the photo is cool and could be used in the digipack but just not on the cover.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:33 pm

ekenee wrote:Quote: Problem is, if we're gonna get a picture with Elvis at the piano, we're gonna get Charlie in it as well!

Charlie could be digitally erased from the picture.

Other than the 70's font, the cover design is superior to the other one.

I do think the photo is cool and could be used in the digipack but just not on the cover.

Thats true. Poor OlĀ“Charlie can be easly erased.
In fact, the design would look much more sober. Take a look:

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:37 pm

Sergio,

How about a lighter color background to the picture??

(or maybe digitally add the sugababes on backing vocals :D )

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:13 pm

That way it looks like an audience recording from the mid 90ies. Except for the font for "Unchained Melody", which is the same as on the latest Roger Whittaker Greatest Hits. Good decision to erase Charlie - his jumpsuit looks unfavourable.

... no, just kidding.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:22 pm

Kuenzer wrote:That way it looks like an audience recording from the mid 90ies. Except for the font for "Unchained Melody", which is the same as on the latest Roger Whittaker Greatest Hits. Good decision to erase Charlie. His jumpsuit looks unfavourable.

... no, just kidding.

Yeah... you should edit in his body from the HHIM photos...

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:22 pm

Personally I like the original photograph - but the cover could be jazzed up a little

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:50 pm

Ok, here is the George Hill photo I mentioned earlier. Elvis at the piano, Charlotte, February 20th 1977.

The photo is copyrighted to Derek Phillips who now owns the entire George Hill photo collection.
http://imagesinconcert.com/home

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:01 am

It's a high quality, Feb'77, off stage candid..
Personally, I think Elvis looks pretty cool.
Most '77 jumpsuit photo's are not that great agree?

That pretty much sums it up. There are not a lot of flattering stage photos from the era. Either way, with FTD, the content is what counts.

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:56 am

Just for fun, I couldn't resist having a quick go at an alternative cover with the same great picture (below for anyone who might like to see them).

(The cutouts were done pretty quickly, so the hairline could be much more natural of course).

Anyway, there they are.